Redcrab's server

oOChainLynxOo

by oOChainLynxOo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 04:33

ch98 wrote:I think the server is down again.

Youthinks right, ch. Now we have to wait all over again for the restart script!!

Dr_Internet and Foobar, please don't mess with the bottom of the world again.
Have a good day or good night or whatever time you're reading this.

ch98

by ch98 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 05:37

Mapgen bug and 2 server shutdown. This server needs more hard drive space.

[h]Is there any way to get this message to redcrab soon?[/h]
Last edited by ch98 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 05:39, edited 1 time in total.
Mudslide mod Click Here

ch98

by ch98 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 05:40

cactuz_pl wrote:Server is UP.

Edit:

I'm kidding.

I wish this was true.
Mudslide mod Click Here

Leroy

by Leroy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 06:17

oOChainLynxOo wrote:
ch98 wrote:I think the server is down again.

Youthinks right, ch. Now we have to wait all over again for the restart script!!

Dr_Internet and Foobar, please don't mess with the bottom of the world again.

Don't mess around below -30000 ok?
UBUNTU BRO!

cactuz_pl

by cactuz_pl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 07:46

ch98 wrote:Give interact back to Reverand.

cactuz_pl wrote:Reverand - interact revoked to next Modnay, reason - cursing, remind me about granting him back.

Thanks for remind me, I will do this as soon as possible (server is down).

Edit: Done.
Last edited by cactuz_pl on Tue Jan 29, 2013 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
Nope

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 16:56

paynekill wrote:my lord people cactuz is one guy with liek 10 people or so screaming at him forgod sakes talk dont yell dont get pissy at the slightest thing death while i may not have full story either wayifu griefed u griefed if u didnt i apologize and we will most likely get this all sorted out believe me it may ake some time tho everyone else pls stop getting so mad over it wensure i understand its annoying and verry frustrating but its s not the end of the world the sign okay so wat a sign but if there was more that wasnt completly added into the equation the ni may be rong death may or may not have while his reoccuring message may be a little hard to actually get wat hes saying the point is we wont know for sure till a little later okay plz lay off of cactus hes the only current admin of thisserver ad mind u he does a d**n good job (mind my language) consideringhe is the only one i know of or ever here or see activly careing or participateing which we all appreciate i dont know wat hes like but i know it hads to be hard running the server in reds absence by urself no dont go annoy red or him with a crapton of requests to be admin cuz thatll jsut make it worse wat im saying is simply think everything thru think of all possabel solutions u can think off okay because i know for a fact if it wasnt for reds server and also for cactuz being an amazing admin then tell me do u think this server would be usable ...no it wouldnt it wouldbe a cesspool of griefing annoying bratty hackers and its the truth i for one believe it for one reason its the reason we like the server its the safest and funnest oaky my lord in heaven people and no offence i dotn believe in god either way leave them alone if somethign happens then leave it between those few people if u greifed someone would u pwant the people who have nothing to do with it and are on the other side of the map yelling and screaming at you wen its only between u the person u griefed and red and or cactuz hmm i wouldnt id get even more mad and it would only make some1 want to grief more am i right or wrong i mean it people sure we brains and advanced thought processes but we arent the most complex thing ever yet we can make a a erupting volcano out of a grain of saindthats in ur shoe i mean it leave wat doesnt concern ube and itll be fine the only reason im writing this is the fact i hope if u read this ull think about it a agree with me wen i say mind ur own buisness dont point blame and simply calm down itlle get sorted out .....wow i wrote alot 0.o

signed,
paynekill

[url]C:\Users\Public\Pictures\untitled.png[/url] (i cant my avi to update but this is e lol jsutgot home from a party)

TL;DR

alot is better than you at everything
Last edited by rubenwardy on Tue Jan 29, 2013 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

GermanGuy

by GermanGuy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 17:48

Is the Server down again ?!?

oOChainLynxOo

by oOChainLynxOo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 18:27

GermanGuy wrote:Is the Server down again ?!?

It most certainly is. Dr_Internet and Foobar need to fill up that bottom of the world hole and take down the sign and don't look back.

oOChainLynxOo

by oOChainLynxOo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 18:40

oOChainLynxOo wrote:
GermanGuy wrote:Is the Server down again ?!?

It most certainly is. Dr_Internet and Foobar need to fill up that bottom of the world hole and take down the sign and don't look back.

It's crashing because at the bottom, there is no more ground to dig, just the sky. You can walk on the sky and not drop, but there's objects falling down there past the limit, and soon it crashes the server. At least that's how I heard it.

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Tue Jan 29, 2013 18:59

Let it be known that just because a Minetest map can go +30,000 in all directions doesn't mean that people should go out that far. The more chunks a map has, the more memory it takes up on the hard drive and the more RAM it takes to keep it active. No server has an infinite amount of space, not even Redcrab's. People should consider that before they decide to go to the edge of the world. When I play single player on my computer, I use my 60MB map to build on in creative mode. My computer has 4GB of RAM, but that 60MB map would fill up my RAM if I loaded up every chunk of it in one session. That map is only a little more than 1/80 of 4GB, yet loading it all up in one session would use up all of my RAM. The size of this server's map is most certainly in the GB range, so imagine how much RAM it requires. Always remember that a server is to be used, but not abused.
Last edited by Inocudom on Tue Jan 29, 2013 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Tue Jan 29, 2013 19:26

The map of Redcrabs server went past the 4 GB boundary some weeks/month ago. The map size as such ought to have only limited impact on performance (depends on how well sqlite can handle it) since the server has mechanisms to keep only that map data in memory that is needed. I have no idea how efficient those mechanisms are. More players at locations far apart from each other will require more chunks to be kept in memory and taken care of (ABMs and such). A large group of players standing at a far-away location and staring fascinatedly at a blank wall may have less impact than people running along distinct paths and generating new land (high CPU usage, lots of new blocks to be written). Unfortionately, other players may feel encouraged to go to that far-away location as well, take a path a few degree off course of the original traveller and create huge amounts of land to be generated just so that they can get there. And there is the issue with strange behaviour of the game at the borders that has been repeatedly reported; so it might not be very safe to do anything there since the result is not predictable and may be hazardous to the rest of the server. Maybe the best thing would be if players kept some distance from the borders. Don't fill it up - that might mean additional risk - just don't go and build there anymore. Build somewhere where we - the rest of the players - can actually see your creations :-) And if you want to explore the borders - there's still singleplayer for all the experiments you might think of :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

oxenfreedan

by oxenfreedan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 23:18

The freaken servers down its really annoying:( /:(
My Awesome Map please try:
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=5028
I've played minetest since 0.3.1 came out!
Mostly when on forums I'm using a uniden tablet!

ch98

by ch98 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 23:57

Inocudom wrote:Let it be known that just because a Minetest map can go +30,000 in all directions doesn't mean that people should go out that far. The more chunks a map has, the more memory it takes up on the hard drive and the more RAM it takes to keep it active. No server has an infinite amount of space, not even Redcrab's. People should consider that before they decide to go to the edge of the world. When I play single player on my computer, I use my 60MB map to build on in creative mode. My computer has 4GB of RAM, but that 60MB map would fill up my RAM if I loaded up every chunk of it in one session. That map is only a little more than 1/80 of 4GB, yet loading it all up in one session would use up all of my RAM. The size of this server's map is most certainly in the GB range, so imagine how much RAM it requires. Always remember that a server is to be used, but not abused.

So hard drive space is not enough and there is too much block loaded for server ram. My stupid experiment shows that new map that I logged in and logged out as fast as possible was 1 MB. That times 1000000 (1000000 new unloaded areas) that can happen easily is 1TB.
Last edited by ch98 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
Mudslide mod Click Here

davidpace

by davidpace » Wed Jan 30, 2013 01:19

Redcrab should put the world folder up for anyone to download and restart the server :).
Taking a break for a while see ya guys!

In some of my posts I will be putting "Secret" White sentences.. Tell me if you see them!!! :D

crashmonkey

by crashmonkey » Wed Jan 30, 2013 02:42

Well since the server is down for the moment I have a chance to post this.

Please visit Las Vegas at 750,0,400 when the server comes back up.

davidpace

by davidpace » Wed Jan 30, 2013 05:42

Nice!
Taking a break for a while see ya guys!

In some of my posts I will be putting "Secret" White sentences.. Tell me if you see them!!! :D

ch98

by ch98 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 06:11

Does anybody know why Redcrab didn't come to forum for more than a month? Has this ever happened before?
Mudslide mod Click Here

Leroy

by Leroy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 06:56

This is what happened to us. >:(
UBUNTU BRO!

eurito100

by eurito100 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 22:29

EVERYONE SERVER IS BACK ON

ch98

by ch98 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 02:49

Bank robbed again. I am going to make it stronger. Damage low. It is on my land so unless suspect goes in again, I wouldn't do anything to them.

Edit; A nyan cat with 6 rainbow was left in a chest with a name of Kilroy.
Last edited by ch98 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 06:10, edited 1 time in total.
Mudslide mod Click Here

ssrock64

by ssrock64 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 03:12

Hey, can I get (-161, x, 6517) to (-223, x, 6406) protected for forgotmyname (my username on the server)? Foobar and I made a neat little house in the middle of nowhere.
Last edited by ssrock64 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 03:12, edited 1 time in total.
Forever losing passwords...

crashmonkey

by crashmonkey » Thu Jan 31, 2013 07:05

If it's not too much trouble, may I have my protection area extended to 744, x, 493 671,x,372 to protect Las Vegas fully. Photo posted above. my username is the same as my forum name.

Thanks,
crashmonkey

Knautz

by Knautz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 13:59

Hi, can you please protect the area between 1400,-70,-1350 1500,400,-1220 for Knautz.
It's my first project here and i really want to get started:D

Thanks

webdesigner97

GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 19:15

davidpace wrote:Redcrab should put the world folder up for anyone to download and restart the server :).

Sure, let's download a >4GB map :/

Noogah

by Noogah » Fri Feb 01, 2013 05:56

Cactuz, or mods, or whoever can do anything about it:

My property has been severely breached! My house has been torn to shreds, overgrown with wood, dirt, water etc.

I had many crates in there which contained, among other things, a significant amount of mithril, gold, etc. The majority of these crates appear to have been turned into dirt cubes.

Additionally, I had built a church structure near the house, and this also has been practically demolished, along with a road that I had built leading up to it.

^ Where my house was.

I would also post an image of where the church was, but apparently the forum will only allow me one image. The coordinates were 659,25,-123

If anybody can investigate this, I would be very appreciative. Thanks!
Last edited by Noogah on Fri Feb 01, 2013 05:59, edited 1 time in total.

ch98

by ch98 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 06:08

Noogah wrote:Cactuz, or mods, or whoever can do anything about it:

My property has been severely breached! My house has been torn to shreds, overgrown with wood, dirt, water etc.

I had many crates in there which contained, among other things, a significant amount of mithril, gold, etc. The majority of these crates appear to have been turned into dirt cubes.

Additionally, I had built a church structure near the house, and this also has been practically demolished, along with a road that I had built leading up to it.

^ Where my house was.

I would also post an image of where the church was, but apparently the forum will only allow me one image. The coordinates were 659,25,-123

If anybody can investigate this, I would be very appreciative. Thanks!

I believe that your house was hit by the MAPGEN BUG. It regenerates stuff thinking that it is not there and destroys stuff. It is caused when memory fills up.
Mudslide mod Click Here

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Fri Feb 01, 2013 06:19

The mapgen bug that is occurring now has nothing to do with the amount of memory or hard disk space on the server. It is a problem with the way the map data is stored - as SQLite files. At 4GB and above, SQLite doesn't function reliably, leading to corrupted maps.

There is work being done to bring LevelDB to minetest as an alternate database backend, which may solve the map size problem. This can be expected fairly soon. Existing SQLite maps will have to be repaired (if corrupted) and converted over to LevelDB format to benefit from that backend.

A similar-looking bug can also occur if the server runs out of hard disk space, which is what happened a while back when the spawn got so badly ravaged, but that is a completely different issue. There has been some work being done to address that bug, but as far as I know no fix has been implemented yet.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

Noogah

by Noogah » Fri Feb 01, 2013 06:44

Um...wow...that's unbelievable.

I'm a little depressed right now. There goes everything.

I thought I would just quit Redcrab, but then somebody informed me that this malevolent bug exists on all servers. It hardly seems worth playing a game that compulsively destroys all your work. :(
Last edited by Noogah on Fri Feb 01, 2013 07:01, edited 1 time in total.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Fri Feb 01, 2013 09:25

VanessaE wrote:The mapgen bug that is occurring now has nothing to do with the amount of memory or hard disk space on the server. It is a problem with the way the map data is stored - as SQLite files. At 4GB and above, SQLite doesn't function reliably, leading to corrupted maps.

Oh, wow. I was just considering expanding my map too, adding some far away structures (49 structure spread out in all directions, many all the way out 3/4 of the way to the edge of the map). Now I'm not so sure that would be a great idea ... Perhaps I should wait. I hope the LevelDB thing works out.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:53

Noogah wrote:Um...wow...that's unbelievable.

I'm a little depressed right now. There goes everything.

I thought I would just quit Redcrab, but then somebody informed me that this malevolent bug exists on all servers. It hardly seems worth playing a game that compulsively destroys all your work. :(

Only on the ones with huge maps.

There needs to be a more procedural way of saving maps. (ie, areas further than 3000 (png map limit) should not be saved if they have not been edited)
Last edited by rubenwardy on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest Servers