[Mod] Carts [carts]

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:25

trukoil wrote:Adam, a suggestion for switches: a left/right switch powered by mesecon, where the input is 0 the switch go left, otherwise the switch'll go right; a left/right/straight switch powered by dataline mesecon, where straight would be a value of 2, for example.

I definetly need to think about (and implement) switches in the future.

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:36

babe223 wrote:hey @ likwid H-Craft look at my mod it adds torches 3D = D
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=3021
Mito551 wrote:
Likwid H-Craft wrote:Hey, Adam can you make it have a torch model? like to light up dark caves? or it not possble yet?

Oh and I thinking can I add my own model?

you can also go for that mod:
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=4774

I mean by the Cart to have a torch, it stays on it to light up caves when using it.
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sat Mar 02, 2013 13:29

Likwid H-Craft wrote:
babe223 wrote:hey @ likwid H-Craft look at my mod it adds torches 3D = D
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=3021
Mito551 wrote:
Likwid H-Craft wrote:Hey, Adam can you make it have a torch model? like to light up dark caves? or it not possble yet?

Oh and I thinking can I add my own model?

you can also go for that mod:
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=4774

I mean by the Cart to have a torch, it stays on it to light up caves when using it.

Objects cant emit light currently.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 13:38

trukoil wrote:Adam, a suggestion for switches: a left/right switch powered by mesecon, where the input is 0 the switch go left, otherwise the switch'll go right; a left/right/straight switch powered by dataline mesecon, where straight would be a value of 2, for example.

Or hand-powered, punchable ones...
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

Tedypig

IRC: Piggybear87
In-game: Piggybear

by Tedypig » Mon Mar 11, 2013 00:13

If this mod is possible, and it is, I have it, it's awesome! Then elevators should also be possible. All you would have to do is change a few things to be able to move vertical.

Example: Change from ground content to wall mountable rails.
Be able to mount the cart on the (now wall riding) rail.
New textures (elevator open, elevator closed).
Push a mesecon switch/lever/button.
Done!

The problem I have is, I JUST started modding, so someone would have to do it and be loved for eternity!
01010100 01100101 01100100 01111001 01110000 01101001 01100111

VoidLord

by VoidLord » Tue Mar 12, 2013 23:50

Idea!
How about you make the cart of the future, so that no matter which orientation the rails are on the walls (other blocks?) that they will always move foward along the track. Makes for one heck of a roller coaster. It can also be used to skirt those large tall flat-faced things, maybe even something like in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!
Last edited by VoidLord on Thu Jun 13, 2013 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
</randomtextcrap>
</forumposthing>
</body>
</html>
/0

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Wed Mar 13, 2013 00:02

There's a simple way to ensure a cart only goes one way on a track - take advantage of the cart's programming, which always turns left if it dead-ends into a T-junction. Do this:

In this configuration, the cart will always exit that junction going to the left, no matter which track it enters from.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Wed Mar 13, 2013 00:40

VanessaE wrote:There's a simple way to ensure a cart only goes one way on a track - take advantage of the cart's programming, which always turns left if it dead-ends into a T-junction. Do this:

[...]

In this configuration, the cart will always exit that junction going to the left, no matter which track it enters from.

Very nice! You could set up a couple of those, and some parallel track, to avoid running into each other.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 02:55

Is there any chance that this will ever be added to minetest_game. that would be an awsome feature if it was added and would finally give a use to rails. the extra rails would be nice too.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

trukoil

by trukoil » Sat Mar 16, 2013 15:02

Looks like power rail doesn't integrate with normal rail:
Last edited by trukoil on Sat Mar 16, 2013 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
I don't always sign a post
but when i do, i dig.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Mar 16, 2013 15:06

Common problem. Diffrent raillike nodes do not connect to each other continously. The same happens to the shingles from homedecor.
A list of my mods can be found here.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sat Mar 16, 2013 15:28

trukoil wrote:Looks like power rail doesn't integrate with normal rail:

Even if they dont connect correctly, the cart will still drive correctly over them.
Last edited by PilzAdam on Sat Mar 16, 2013 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 16:25

I wish you could punch to speed up the carts while you are rideing in it, instead of having to punch the cart and jump in.
Don't ever save anything as a JPEG.

Tedypig

by Tedypig » Sat Mar 16, 2013 16:37

12Me21 wrote:I wish you could punch to speed up the carts while you are rideing in it, instead of having to punch the cart and jump in.

+1

Tedypig

by Tedypig » Sat Mar 16, 2013 17:18

Hybrid Dog wrote:
12Me21 wrote:I wish you could punch to speed up the carts while you are rideing in it, instead of having to punch the cart and jump in.
This would be very unrealistic.

Fine then a button INSIDE the cart (when ts hooked up to mesecons) to make it go and stop. BOOM realistic! OR....OR!!! Have a lever cart
that you punch to make it move. BOOM! Realistic again.

trukoil

by trukoil » Sat Mar 16, 2013 17:35

You are right Adam, just a visual bug, but the cart goes right.

Tedypig wrote:
Hybrid Dog wrote:
This would be very unrealistic.

Fine then a button INSIDE the cart (when ts hooked up to mesecons) to make it go and stop. BOOM realistic! OR....OR!!! Have a lever cart
---imgcut---
that you punch to make it move. BOOM! Realistic again.

I proposed a controllable cart on github, powered with batteries
https://github.com/PilzAdam/carts/issues/1

But i feel that people won't like Technic mod so much...
Last edited by trukoil on Sat Mar 16, 2013 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
but when i do, i dig.

Tedypig

by Tedypig » Sat Mar 16, 2013 18:37

Technic is dependent on mesecons. I don't know why, but mesecons is lagging my game real bad ever since I got 0.4.5. I still use it but I don't want risk more lag with technic. I love mesecons and technic looks awesome. I wish they would be updated for 0.4.5.

MirceaKitsune

GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Sat Mar 16, 2013 20:07

trukoil wrote:Looks like power rail doesn't integrate with normal rail:

Me gusta that texture pack :) Wanted to find high-res textures for MineTest but which don't look like real life images (rather a bit more cartoon-ish).

Anyway that looks like there's no version of the power rail texture for that package. I'm surprised to see power rails in MT since last time I checked carts always have a constant speed... kinda liked it like that but it makes more sense to have powered rails separately.
Last edited by MirceaKitsune on Sat Mar 16, 2013 20:08, edited 1 time in total.

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Sat Mar 16, 2013 21:04

The texture pack is Minecraft Enhanced converted to Minetest.

Maybe I'll add power/brake rail textures later... the Mesecons support is outdated too. :(

musicfreak34

by musicfreak34 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 18:50

PilzAdam wrote:
This mod has also mesecon compatibility. When placing the power- or brakerail with a the mesecon mod installed, the rails will only work if they get a mesecon signal.

Is it my bad or is your post incorrect?

I cant connect mescon with the rails pls fix or write it in a "To- do list".
You have no chance, so use.

When is the release of the next minetestversion? ;-)

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sun Mar 17, 2013 18:55

musicfreak34 wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:
This mod has also mesecon compatibility. When placing the power- or brakerail with a the mesecon mod installed, the rails will only work if they get a mesecon signal.

Is it my bad or is your post incorrect?

I cant connect mescon with the rails pls fix or write it in a "To- do list".

Oh, yea, they dont visibly connect nor change the texture when powered, but they do work as described in the first post.
I will fix this soon.

musicfreak34

by musicfreak34 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 19:08

PilzAdam,

It was my bad :)
There are different mescon mods i think. Now I downloaded the version on your git hub and it works very well
You have no chance, so use.

When is the release of the next minetestversion? ;-)

trukoil

by trukoil » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:32

Is it possible to add a rail that blocks the cart, instead of decelerate it?
but when i do, i dig.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:44

trukoil wrote:Is it possible to add a rail that blocks the cart, instead of decelerate it?

Just remove a rail. The cart always stops at the end of the track.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 21:29

PilzAdam wrote:
trukoil wrote:Is it possible to add a rail that blocks the cart, instead of decelerate it?

Just remove a rail. The cart always stops at the end of the track.

Combine with Mesecon pistons for a controlled area.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

jordan4ibanez

GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Wed Mar 27, 2013 04:31

I would like to collaberate with you. A mod based on this one. Message me when I come on the IRC.
If you can think it, you can make it.

kpo

by kpo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 19:28

Hi there. I am quite new to posting but have enjoyed the game for quite some time now.
One thing I really like is the carts mod - so much that I created a "station rail" which is the combination of the brake rail and the accelerate rail such that the rail accelerated when powered and brakes if not.
That way I can make carts stop where I want them to and move them along again when throwing a switch.

The carts module does however contain a bug which can be shown by just using the accelerate rail:
Build a stretch of accelerate rails and power them all. Place a cart and move it along by punching a button. Power off immediately again so that the cart will stop eventually. Notice the direction. If it is in the negative x or z direction the cart will reverse!
In one the the directions you will notice that the cart reverses direction even if more rail is available in the direction it was travelling before when power is restored once more.

I have looked at the code and am half way to understanding it but the mod writer might have a better clue here. To me it seems that the mod has to save the sign of the direction vector to let the cart travel along in the direction it was going towards so that it does not reverse if it was going in the negative direction.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sun Mar 31, 2013 21:19

kpo wrote:The carts module does however contain a bug which can be shown by just using the accelerate rail:
Build a stretch of accelerate rails and power them all. Place a cart and move it along by punching a button. Power off immediately again so that the cart will stop eventually. Notice the direction. If it is in the negative x or z direction the cart will reverse!
In one the the directions you will notice that the cart reverses direction even if more rail is available in the direction it was travelling before when power is restored once more.

I dont know exactly how to reproduce this.

kpo

by kpo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 21:34

PilzAdam wrote:
kpo wrote:The carts module does however contain a bug which can be shown by just using the accelerate rail:

Ehm. Okay I am not sure how to attach an image. But imagine this:

B
(-x or -z) ==============C======================= (+x or +z)
<---- if the cart stops while moving this way it will move ----> this way when powered again.

'=' = long accelerate track
'B' = Mesecon Button (either the lever, switch or button) and mesecons to each and every piece of track
'C' = Cart

When the button is pressed the cart will move in the positive direction (+x or +z) and return when it reaches the end of the track - sort of bouncing back and forth if power is kept on.
IF the cart is stopping while travelling in the negative direction (-x or -z) it will reverse its direction when the tracks are powered again.

For ease of debugging this set the acceleration to be negative when the accelerate rail is off (that is the extra rail type I made here). That will cause the cart to stop when power is off.

As I write I suspect the code to be "positively inclined" towards the positive direction vector rather than saving the vector it came to a halt with.

Does that make any sense?

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sun Mar 31, 2013 21:41

kpo wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:

Ehm. Okay I am not sure how to attach an image. But imagine this:

B
(-x or -z) ==============C======================= (+x or +z)
<---- if the cart stops while moving this way it will move ----> this way when powered again.

'=' = long accelerate track
'B' = Mesecon Button (either the lever, switch or button) and mesecons to each and every piece of track
'C' = Cart

When the button is pressed the cart will move in the positive direction (+x or +z) and return when it reaches the end of the track - sort of bouncing back and forth if power is kept on.
IF the cart is stopping while travelling in the negative direction (-x or -z) it will reverse its direction when the tracks are powered again.

For ease of debugging this set the acceleration to be negative when the accelerate rail is off (that is the extra rail type I made here). That will cause the cart to stop when power is off.

As I write I suspect the code to be "positively inclined" towards the positive direction vector rather than saving the vector it came to a halt with.

Does that make any sense?

Oh, I understand now.
The carts dont save their previous direction, so when they are powered they again they look in wich direction they can move, independently from the previous direction.
I see if I can fix it somehow.

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases