GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 07:59

good point less newbies lol

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:55

rubenwardy wrote:good point less newbies lol
hay weren't every one of you all newbies before.
Edit: oh now I know where noob came from. NEWBe = NOOB
Last edited by jojoa1997 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

nolan

by nolan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 19:37

PilzAdam wrote:
general3214 wrote:This topic just sparked an idea for me. Minetest should be ported to consoles/smartphones that currently do not have Minecraft available. However, this does not mean that I discourage development for Xbox, iOS, or etc. I am just suggesting an idea to the developers, so that Minetest won't be hidden behind Minecraft's wall of popularity.

I personally dont care if Minetest is less popular than Minecraft. Being a small and not-so-known project has also a lot of good sides.
I dont really use any other devices except the PC, so I wont develop for them.

One good side I can name for you is that we do not have a horrible community. We have some nasty people here and there but mostly we are all helpful and MC does not have such a great community, its actually considered one of the top 10 multiplayer games worst communities....
Minecraft Came Out For The Ps3

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

by philipbenr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 21:19

Yeah... I noticed that MC has soooooo many MT haters. Why would you hate a game clone? Because they paid money for it and MT is free. -.-

If you fixed a few mods into MT that made it look like Minecraft, add the MC default textures and put in on a mobile phone and named it MCpocket edition plus, not many people would really notice much of a difference. I'm not joking.
"The Foot is down!"

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 23:15

philipbenr wrote:Yeah... I noticed that MC has soooooo many MT haters. Why would you hate a game clone? Because they paid money for it and MT is free. -.-

If you fixed a few mods into MT that made it look like Minecraft, add the MC default textures and put in on a mobile phone and named it MCpocket edition plus, not many people would really notice much of a difference. I'm not joking.
I noticed that MT has sooooooooooo many MC haters. I don't know why but there are and both sides are really just vice cersa of eachother.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

by philipbenr » Thu Oct 10, 2013 00:25

@jojoa

I didn't really notice the vice-versa. I think it is because of what I said above:

philipbenr wrote:You pay money for it whereas MT is free

Disgruntled over money. Paying for something when you can get it (sorta) for free.
"The Foot is down!"

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 01:31

philipbenr wrote:@jojoa

I didn't really notice the vice-versa. I think it is because of what I said above:

philipbenr wrote:You pay money for it whereas MT is free

Disgruntled over money. Paying for something when you can get it (sorta) for free.
Yeah well i have been here almost a year and i have seen tons of minecraft is horrible from minetest players. And what you say is vice versa of this.
Edit: over a year. I came to minetest in august of last year but registered later.
Last edited by jojoa1997 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 01:31, edited 1 time in total.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

joannis.orlandos

by joannis.orlandos » Thu Oct 10, 2013 09:21

Hey guys! I'm one such newbie you guys were talking about.

I was wondering what the progress is on the (unofficial) Minetest Client for android. The server works like a charm so far.

Thanks for Minetest, the crazy amount of mods and the work on other projects like the android port.
Last edited by joannis.orlandos on Thu Oct 10, 2013 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:13

joannis.orlandos wrote:Hey guys! I'm one such newbie you guys were talking about.

I was wondering what the progress is on the (unofficial) Minetest Client for android. The server works like a charm so far.

Thanks for Minetest, the crazy amount of mods and the work on other projects like the android port.
Sorry but the farthest someone ever giot was scan and iirc he could not get irrlicht to work on android thus destroying our chances.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

joannis.orlandos

by joannis.orlandos » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:55

I'm sorry if I'm bothering you/you don't have any further information on the matter but did they try to port Irrlicht themselves? I did find out a while about one port ( https://gitorious.org/irrlichtandroid/pages/Home ) which has been forked by another few.

Otherwise I'll try and find this out by myself.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:58

joannis.orlandos wrote:I'm sorry if I'm bothering you/you don't have any further information on the matter but did they try to port Irrlicht themselves? I did find out a while about one port ( https://gitorious.org/irrlichtandroid/pages/Home ) which has been forked by another few.

you are not bothering me. Iirc I was the first one to ask for a port to android and have been waiting forever for this. Anything that furthurs the project I am very happy to help test since I have a powerful tablet with the latest android.
Edit: I have tested this and both work on my nexus 7 with Android 4.3
Last edited by jojoa1997 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 18:40

jojoa1997 wrote:
joannis.orlandos wrote:I'm sorry if I'm bothering you/you don't have any further information on the matter but did they try to port Irrlicht themselves? I did find out a while about one port ( https://gitorious.org/irrlichtandroid/pages/Home ) which has been forked by another few.

you are not bothering me. Iirc I was the first one to ask for a port to android and have been waiting forever for this. Anything that furthurs the project I am very happy to help test since I have a powerful tablet with the latest android.
Edit: I have tested this and both work on my nexus 7 with Android 4.3

I got Irrlicht working on Android.
Link to test App (.apk)
You need to put sydney.bmp and sydney.md2 on your (external) storage [sdcard] to get it to work
Last edited by sfan5 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

joannis.orlandos

by joannis.orlandos » Thu Oct 10, 2013 18:53

sfan5 wrote:I got Irrlicht working on Android.
Link to test App (.apk)

What's supposed to appear if I may ask? I'm staring at an app showing me nothing but black (android 4.0.3).

Edit:
Did you build it for 4.3 exclusively? Edit2: (By which I mean 4.0 as minimum and 4.3 as supported API.)

It does not crash which is a good thing on it's own. It might have rendering issues with my Android build (which may be related to the compiling process and the project settings) which would've been caught by a try/catch.
Last edited by joannis.orlandos on Thu Oct 10, 2013 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

sfan5

by sfan5 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 20:42

joannis.orlandos wrote:
Link to test App (.apk)

What's supposed to appear if I may ask? I'm staring at an app showing me nothing but black (android 4.0.3).

Edit:
Did you build it for 4.3 exclusively? Edit2: (By which I mean 4.0 as minimum and 4.3 as supported API.)

It does not crash which is a good thing on it's own. It might have rendering issues with my Android build (which may be related to the compiling process and the project settings) which would've been caught by a try/catch.

It targets Android API Level 9 (armv6, 2.3)

joannis.orlandos

by joannis.orlandos » Thu Oct 10, 2013 21:41

Okay. I'm looking into recompiling the game with the Irrlicht engine from the source.
Last edited by joannis.orlandos on Thu Oct 10, 2013 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 23:18

Link to test App (.apk)

sorry sfan5 but that is a nice gateway timeout error on that site can it be uploaded to media fire

joannis.orlandos

by joannis.orlandos » Fri Oct 11, 2013 06:33

I'll be spending (most of) my next 6 hours trying to get irrlicht to compile.

stormchaser3000 wrote:i might know how t o do this i will add on screen buttons (if i can) and compile it with irrclicht android

Please do! As this port of irrlicht seems to have gone unnoticed this may be a chance of sucessfully compiling minetest for android! Let's hope and work for the best I guess.
Last edited by joannis.orlandos on Fri Oct 11, 2013 06:34, edited 1 time in total.

sfan5

by sfan5 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 13:22

joannis.orlandos wrote:I'll be spending (most of) my next 6 hours trying to get irrlicht to compile.

stormchaser3000 wrote:i might know how t o do this i will add on screen buttons (if i can) and compile it with irrclicht android

Please do! As this port of irrlicht seems to have gone unnoticed this may be a chance of sucessfully compiling minetest for android! Let's hope and work for the best I guess.

I have Irrlicht compiled and working for Android.
The port you are looking at is for a Java interface.

stormchaser3000 wrote:
Link to test App (.apk)

sorry sfan5 but that is a nice gateway timeout error on that site can it be uploaded to media fire

Gateway Timeout means something happend between your computer and the web server.
The web server works fine.
Last edited by sfan5 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 14:13

Link to test App (.apk)

What is this exposed to be of?
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Fess

by Fess » Fri Oct 11, 2013 14:14

I've also have tested this IrrlichtExample01.apk on my Nexus 7, Android 4.3 and same - just a blank black screen, seems it hangs up.

sfan5

by sfan5 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 14:29

Oh.. right
You need to put sydney.bmp and sydney.md2 on your (external) storage [sdcard]

Edit:
You can also replace sydney.md2 with any model in the Quake 2 format (.md2) and sydney.bmp with any texture in the bmp format
Last edited by sfan5 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 14:44, edited 1 time in total.

Fess

by Fess » Fri Oct 11, 2013 15:57

sfan5 wrote:Oh.. right
You need to put sydney.bmp and sydney.md2 on your (external) storage [sdcard]

Edit:
You can also replace sydney.md2 with any model in the Quake 2 format (.md2) and sydney.bmp with any texture in the bmp format

Thats work, now its produce example animation. Great, seems now it is a possibilty to make minetest android build :)

joannis.orlandos

by joannis.orlandos » Fri Oct 11, 2013 17:48

sfan, what steps did you follow to compile the engine?

I managed to fix all but one error (which I know thanks to the " -i " for ignore-errors option in my compiler by editing my way through.

sfan5

by sfan5 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 21:11

joannis.orlandos wrote:sfan, what steps did you follow to compile the engine?

I managed to fix all but one error (which I know thanks to the " -i " for ignore-errors option in my compiler by editing my way through.

1) Download and install the Crystax NDK Toolchain
2) Use this Makefile: https://ghostbin.com/paste/2rfyo
3) Use this irrCompileConfig.h: https://ghostbin.com/paste/dwn5a
4) Run make in the source/Irrlicht directory

general3214

by general3214 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 21:43

nolan wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:
general3214 wrote:This topic just sparked an idea for me. Minetest should be ported to consoles/smartphones that currently do not have Minecraft available. However, this does not mean that I discourage development for Xbox, iOS, or etc. I am just suggesting an idea to the developers, so that Minetest won't be hidden behind Minecraft's wall of popularity.

I personally dont care if Minetest is less popular than Minecraft. Being a small and not-so-known project has also a lot of good sides.
I dont really use any other devices except the PC, so I wont develop for them.

One good side I can name for you is that we do not have a horrible community. We have some nasty people here and there but mostly we are all helpful and MC does not have such a great community, its actually considered one of the top 10 multiplayer games worst communities....

You guys both have good points... I guess I just didn't think it out thoroughly. XD
March 6, 2014, 8:37 PM PST: I will no longer continue my mods.
Mods | GitHub | MCF

joannis.orlandos

by joannis.orlandos » Fri Oct 11, 2013 22:12

sfan5 wrote:

Wow.. thanks. I used the standard NDK from the developer.android.com website. And I manually fixed the Makefile, irrCompileConfig and some other files. This does spare me some work!

Did you have any luck in compiling minetest? I'll be on it in a few minutes from now.

sfan5

by sfan5 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 06:46

joannis.orlandos wrote:
sfan5 wrote:

Wow.. thanks. I used the standard NDK from the developer.android.com website. And I manually fixed the Makefile, irrCompileConfig and some other files. This does spare me some work!

Did you have any luck in compiling minetest? I'll be on it in a few minutes from now.

I got Minetest compiled as a shared library, but Android refuses to load it (and does not provide an error message).

saikoe

by saikoe » Sat Oct 12, 2013 17:18

How will we be able to play with the pe do we have to install something?

sfan5

by sfan5 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 14:42

Just putting this here...
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
<sfan5> https://github.com/sfan5/minetest/tree/android
<sfan5> to build that you need an android toolchain (preferably the crystax one) with android_native_app_glue.h installed into includes
<sfan5> anyway if you want to run it put the .so at /sdcard/minetest/minetest.so and all data files in /sdcard/minetest/
<sfan5> http://sfan5.duckdns.org/upload/userdata/1/MinetestLoader.apk will then do things for you
<sfan5> !! loading shared library from sdcard won't normally work, you would need to get root and "mount - /mnt/sdcard -o remount,exec" to get it to work
<sfan5> the lib in MinetestLoader.apk has extra space in the lib so one can edit the location of the minetest library with a hex editor

leetelate

by leetelate » Mon Oct 21, 2013 15:26

Hey all, just jumping in to say that FEDORA now runs faithfully on the ARM7 tablets and that Minetest runs on Fedora

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM

now how the hell do i use it - i can move the screen and that's about it - i really don't want to lug my controller about to play mt on the tablet

thinking about this heavily! - there has to be a simple way beyond tapping to mine and slide the finger to look and hit something somewhere to go.

maybe some sort of overlay with controller-like multi-touch

here: Image

easy-peasy

edit: double-taps to fwd for fast toggle - double-taps to jump for fly toggle - upward gesture off hotbar item for drop/throw

maybe you can use this in the android thingy - i'm making a simple screen overlay to send button presses and fake the mouse stuff in qjoypad, just like qjoypad does with the controller
Last edited by leetelate on Mon Oct 21, 2013 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
MT IS MC'S SMARTER BROTHER
minetest 0.4.8 compiled from latest git on linux mint 15 with qjoypad and wired 360 controller
freeminer, pilztest, buildcraft and next are the idea factories
my minetest page is http://1337318.zymichost.com if zymic isn't down - meh, it is free...

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest General