On Minetest terminology: “game”

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

On Minetest terminology: “game”

by Wuzzy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 06:10

There are some terms in Minetest which are a bit confusing because they are either ambigious or used inconsequently throughout the wikis, the forums and Minetest itself. This thread is part of a series of threads; I used multiple threads in order to cast multiple polls.

“game”
“game” has the sense of “collection of mods”. For example minetest_game is a game, technic_game is a game etc. But this word is problematic in my opinion, since in colloqial English, “game” means things like Minetest and Xonotic and Backgammon and Chess and SuperTuxKart. This is not exactly what the “collection of mods” meaning was intended to express.
Celeron55 used the alternative term “subgame” in blogpost. I thinkg that “subgame” is much better; we should adopt it. Consequently, the word “game” should lose the special Minetest-related meaning and get back its default meaning we know from the English language. I suggest to apply this change of terminilogy throughout Minetest itself, the wikis and the forum (well, at least the name of the subforum).

I start a poll which runs for 31 days. This should be long enough, I think.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

celeron55

by celeron55 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 09:39

From the standpoint of the engine, this actually is a no-brainer. The engine, in fact, calls them subgames internally. 8)

In how many places are these even called games? Do we have to change, like, the name of one forum section and one wiki page?

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:12

The cpp minetest code is not a game, it is a game engine - a voxel game engine.

It is the minetest_game that is the game: it adds the content, the player, tools and some mapgen.

It is how ever, simpler to think of them as sub games.

DevWiki / terminology
Last edited by rubenwardy on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 17:51

celeron55 wrote:In how many places are these even called games?

At least 25.
In the Minetest GUI when you create a new world, in the Minetest folder structure, in lua_api.txt, in menu_lua_api.txt, in both manpages (“gameid”), as a command-line argument (“gameid”), in the logfile (refered to as “gameid”), in the forums, on http://minetest.net/development and in the community wiki (http://wiki.minetest.net/Game, I added the mention of “subgame” recently but the page itself is still called “Game”. Here are the pages that link on the page: http://wiki.minetest.net/Special:WhatLinksHere/Game. Notably if you read “the game” it probably means Minetest itself, and not “game” as in “collection of mods and stuff”.)

For some weird reason, neither the term “game” nor the term “subgame” appears in the developer wiki. o_O
Last edited by Wuzzy on Fri Oct 18, 2013 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

Mcc457

by Mcc457 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 19:42

I always thought they were called forks

Calling it a "game" makes people's self gratification go up.

On the the hand a "subgame" is more politically correct.
Working on a sub-game; mostly based texture packs, adventure and soon chemistry...

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 21:10

The motivation behind all this is not political correctness. The motivation is clarity, since using the word “game” is ambigious and confusing to newcomers. I am a person who is “allergic” to ambigious words and sadly, the English language is full of them. I have a strong “allergic reaction” when people willingly create a term which already has a different meaning. And “game” in the sense of “collection of mods of stuff” is not the definition of “game” everybody else normally thinks of. In fact, such a (sub)“game” is not a game. You can’t just take all the mods and stuff and start playing. You need the engine, too. I’d say you have a game when you have Minetest (the engine) and a collection of mods an stuff (aka subgame aka “game”).

And frankly, I think political correctness is bullshit and I don’t care when someone’s self gratification goes up just because of a “clever” wording. This is just silly. (Imagine two rolling eyeballs here.)

A fork is something completely different. It would be a fork if you took the code and related data of some software project, copy it and edit it afterwards. Here is an example for a fork: Stunt Rally is a fork of VDrift, because it originated from its source code. Now Stunt Rally is a completely different game, there were many changes made.
Even you could create a fork. Here’s how to do it: Copy the source code of Minetest. (https://github.com/minetest/minetest, click on “Download ZIP” if you don’t use Git). Extract it. Then edit any file from it you like. Even if just the Readme, it does not matter. Congratulations, you just created a fork of Minetest! :D Forking is trivial, but creating something new and cool out with a fork of course not (see Stunt Rally).
Last edited by Wuzzy on Fri Oct 18, 2013 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

Menche

by Menche » Sat Oct 19, 2013 00:24

I usually refer to them as "game modes", but "subgame" works too and is probably more accurate.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.
I am on the Voxelands Forums more often than here.
Try Voxelands (forked from Minetest 0.3) by darkrose

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sat Oct 19, 2013 13:16

The problem is not the term "game", but simply that people think Minetest is a game. But Minetest is not a game, its a game engine. And a game engine runs games, so "game" is the correct term for the things that add content to the Minetest engine.

BlockMen

GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:18

PilzAdam wrote:The problem is not the term "game", but simply that people think Minetest is a game. But Minetest is not a game, its a game engine. And a game engine runs games, so "game" is the correct term for the things that add content to the Minetest engine.

+1

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:52

PilzAdam wrote:The problem is not the term "game", but simply that people think Minetest is a game. But Minetest is not a game, its a game engine. And a game engine runs games, so "game" is the correct term for the things that add content to the Minetest engine.

Yes. I would say that it is like Minetest is the OS, and games are the 'programs' that run on/in it.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:08

A quick reminder: There are 6 days left until the poll ends.

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Wed Nov 13, 2013 15:21

My two BitCoin:

I've seen some people on YouTube AND in-multiplayer (saying in-game is wrong) call Minetest a complete game, because installing a game is "difficult" - according to them, as they say: "there's *NO* instructions"; the posts are easy enough to find. (And they also happen complain that there are no YouTube tutorials; that's because we're not big enough yet. Some even say the engine itself is a game.)

Hint, hint: we should make these changes as well as making easier to find tutorials. It shouldn't take too long to change this - which would be nice for the "future" end users. Which is justified because the future is uncertain - which means we should more focus making the game more slimlined for end users, including installing mods (yes, mmdb is there, but enabling mods, yes, I don't mind it with some, mg being one of them. The second problem with mmdb is that mod developers do not seem to update their mods there...) games and texture packs. (Again, they should use the mmdb)

Server admins have been asking for a GUI frontend to enter commands without relying on external_command or irc_commands to just change something, which is pretty damn pointless.

Instead of adding perty little game features, focus on the users, as these will be the source of content. (Which means help the users and explain why things are like this)

The easier the subgame is to install, get started with, and create for, the better. (The actual subgames are exempt - they're meant to be difficult. But basic tasks should, such as subgame creation, texture pack creation (hint, can we have .zip support?) and less cryptic modding errors - should be more easy for the user.

(This post should probably go elsewhere, but it has the same problems of changing game to subgame. Users clearly cannot read to help themselves.)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 18:01

The poll is over!

Results:
(15) Yes.
(9) No.
(6) I don’t care.
30 people voted.

Half and most of the votes go to “Yes.”.

So it is justified to rename the community wiki pages accordingly now and to change every “game” to “subgame” in there. I will do the changes somewhere in the next days, whenever I find the time for it. Also the forum section “games” should be renamed to “subgames” and inside the Minetest files (main menu, readme, docs, etc.) as well. For consistency, of course. See also: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?pid=114761#p114761
Last edited by Wuzzy on Tue Nov 19, 2013 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Tue Nov 19, 2013 18:16

Wuzzy wrote:The poll is over!

Results:
(15) Yes.
(9) No.
(6) I don’t care.
30 people voted.

So it is justified to rename the community wiki pages accordingly now and to change every “game” to “subgame” in there. I will do the changes somewhere in the next days, whenever I find the time for it. Also the forum section “games” should be renamed to “subgames” and inside the Minetest files (main menu, readme, docs, etc.) as well. For consistency, of course. See also: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?pid=114761#p114761

Eh... thats not how we decide things there.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 23:35

PilzAdam wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:The poll is over!

Results:
(15) Yes.
(9) No.
(6) I don’t care.
30 people voted.

Eh... thats not how we decide things there.

Not at all. Besides, the developers named it, so why not just leave it the way they wanted it to be?
Resources are abundant; only money is scarce. People should not have to work hard and remain poor just to pay for the needs of survival.
Society can thrive without money - but only if productive members of society are rewarded for being productive.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 18:00

*rolling eyes*

Couldn’t you have told me that earlier?

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Fri Nov 22, 2013 04:59

^ What PilzAdam said.
The current terminology is only ever-so-slightly confusing for absolute newbies, and who gives a toss about them? :)
The ever-so-slight confusion of an absolute newbie is no justification for changing the entire terminology, newbies will just have to put some effort into learning that Minetest engine is not a game.

This goes for the block/node terminology too.
I rely on donations to help provide an income https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14935

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Tue Nov 26, 2013 05:31

Jordach wrote:The easier the subgame is to install, get started with, and create for, the better. (The actual subgames are exempt - they're meant to be difficult. But basic tasks should, such as subgame creation, texture pack creation (hint, can we have .zip support?) and less cryptic modding errors - should be more easy for the user.

I'm afraid it's even worse - how does a new player get to know about those games/subgames? New players are new - they don't know much. They'll read that the minimal development game is not complete - so they'll download minetest_game eventually. Seeking for mods comes much later. And that there are subgames...and which one might fit that player's particular intrests - that's...pretty advanced. Perhaps players will notice after reading the forum thorughly that there are further games/subgames.

I've only noticed through DanDuncombes Realtest fork run on a server that that's a pretty intresting game version with nice features that offer a refreshing change (although not well suited for building). And then there's the Eden game - pretty close to what I like to have in my singleplayer world - but wouldn't have guessed ran under that name. And skyblock - not bad. Runs on one of OldCoders servers - so it's easy to play (just connect).

Perhaps offering a public server for a game/subgame is the best way to get it known. That way, new users just have to connect and can start exploring. Describing the subgames/games on the webpage of Minetest might also help a bit.

As far as subgame or texture pack creation goes, I think that's easy enough. Once players get that much intrested, they'll hopefully show up here. And if they know how to operate IRC, they can receive help soon.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Mcc457

by Mcc457 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 23:02

Would it still be considered a subgame, if the creator only edited textures, and hadn't done any modding him/her self?
Working on a sub-game; mostly based texture packs, adventure and soon chemistry...

Novacain

by Novacain » Wed Nov 27, 2013 23:13

what you're describing sounds like a texture pack. However, if the creator happened to assemble the mods together (and not make any), then that would be able to be called a subgame, IMO.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

Return to Minetest General