Efficient Mining

RabbiBob

Efficient Mining

by RabbiBob » Sat Feb 18, 2012 15:03

Made the move from Creative Mode to Survival Mode on our server this past week. Obviously it makes you think a bit more about resources providing your not using /give /giveme to skirt the game resource availability.

On thing that became apparent was the quickness one could wear down a pick axe if you take the straight strip/core mining approach. In Example 1, I dug from -0.5 to -43.5 with a size of 6x11 on average (including staircase along the outer wall) and went through a couple of Mese pickaxes in the process.

I then considered that the approach is wasteful as usually your looking for ores or mese blocks and really you only need to see one face of a node to determine if it was useful. With that in mind, I took the following approach.

Note: Get some torches.

1. Establish your initial level by mining out a 2 node high area.

2. Go to each corner and stand back a block. The axe will dig 4 spaces down, so use that ability to dig down 4 nodes out of each corner. Place a torch at the top of each corner.

3. Pick a corner and orientate yourself facing another corner. Drop into the corner.

4. Mine directly towards the other corner. You'll see light when you get there. Once you reach there, turn towards the next corner and repeat. Do this process two more times until you have carved the perimeter out.

5. Clear the level out.

Now while typing this I realized that clearing the entire level is still slightly inefficient and on a single level you could again skip two nodes and clear one node row, skip two nodes and clear one node row.

Torches will help you inspect and mark where you need to go. Depending on how you use them will dictate how many torches you need. To avoid flying, build stairs up as needed.
Last edited by RabbiBob on Sat Feb 18, 2012 16:03, edited 1 time in total.

IPushButton2653

by IPushButton2653 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 19:13

Confusing

qyron

by qyron » Sat Feb 18, 2012 19:38

Tunnelling, quarry mining, shaft mining, cross tunnelling, etc, etc... You may look at all the work you're having as a waste of time and resources but you always get something out of your digging, even if only stone. On this subject, I think that turning to real world is the best idea when it comes to the point of deciding a good way to prospect for ore.

I use stone for crafting most of my tools exactly because it easily becomes readily available and it has a good compromise of durability and working speed, thus saving iron ore for crafting tools to mine MESE, later and deeper.

One way to "see" work moving fast, for me, is to work in small areas and after concluding the mining of that given space, enlarge it. Lets say I start digging a 4x4x4 hole; its easily accomplished. After having it dug out, I may make it deeper by another 4 rows or I may make it wider. The deeper it gets, the more frequent is to find ore right beneath your feet and when finding ore on the walls, mine it out, trying to find all of the vein.

(I'm a little under the wind, so my speech may suffer in terms of quality...)
Last edited by qyron on Sat Feb 18, 2012 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
Minetest is not Minecraft. Stop trying to make them look alike.

Currently running Minetest 0.4-13 from Debian Backports.

RabbiBob

by RabbiBob » Sat Feb 18, 2012 20:05

I think I see your approach.

Consider the following, which follows my bold italics thought at the bottom of the original post:

You need to have 2 nodes high to walk through a space.
If you expose the center 4 nodes, you know whether or not they are worth digging.

Below are 4 faces of a designated area.

[1][1][1][1] [2][2][2][2] [3][3][3][3] [4][4][4][4]

If I remove the outer edge of a 4x4 cube leaving a 2x4 structure, the center material is revealed

[ ][1][1][ ] [ ][2][2][ ] [ ][3][3][ ] [ ][4][4][ ]

If the inner material is not useful, I don't pick it up. By doing so I can mine more area per axe. Extrapolate this out to levels and leave two nodes between the layers (the floor of the upper is one and the ceiling of the next is the lower, forming a layer of 2) when going down. Look up or down to see if there is valuable material. Rinse, lather, repeat.

True, I can build axes all day, but the approach occurred to me this morning when resources were scarce. I've also found more iron as my search area is increased. If I find a vein, I break from the pattern and mine it out. The approach only works here well because it's a grid system and a real world application wouldn't be as precise.

That's enough thought for me on this, just found it interesting.

IPushButton2653

by IPushButton2653 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 20:09

I see what you are saying. You are just mining half of the blocks you normally would. I just go through pre-made caverns because I'm not too worried on mining. If I need something, I normally have enough backed up.

Return to Minetest General