[idea] server gui

Novacain

[idea] server gui

by Novacain » Sun Mar 02, 2014 20:34

so, I was just thinking about people starting servers, and the complicated process that is usually involved in it, and was wondering, why not create a gui specifically for hosting servers? it would function similar to the server tab, only it doesn't load you into the world.

would this be possible/easy?
Last edited by Novacain on Sun Mar 02, 2014 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 20:59

Novacain wrote:only it doesn't load you into the world.

It would no longer be a client then.
The thing you want is a server hosting gui.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Novacain

by Novacain » Sun Mar 02, 2014 21:08

my syntax has now been fixed :P
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 08:20

Making a server is not hard.

People just get stuck on port forwarding etc.

Pitriss

GitHub: Pitriss
IRC: pitriss
In-game: pitriss

by Pitriss » Mon Mar 03, 2014 08:29

Novacain wrote:so, I was just thinking about people starting servers, and the complicated process that is usually involved in it, and was wondering, why not create a gui specifically for hosting servers? it would function similar to the server tab, only it doesn't load you into the world.

would this be possible/easy?

On servers are no Xserver etc, so any gui is pointless.. Maybe except ncurses one which will be not much helpful for such ppl who are helpless without gui..
I reject your reality and substitute my own. (A. Savage, Mythbusters)
I'm not modding and/or playing minetest anymore. All my mods were released under WTFPL. You can fix/modify them yourself. Don't ask me for support. Thanks.

lightonflux

In-game: lof

by lightonflux » Mon Mar 03, 2014 21:41

Pitriss wrote:On servers are no Xserver etc, so any gui is pointless..

A webUI is also a GUI, so you don't need X.

Maybe except ncurses one which will be not much helpful for such ppl who are helpless without gui..

A well made TUI is easy enoug for most people, ncurses even supports mouse input.

But a webUI would be easier to use for most users. And you don't need a full apache or nginx, you could ship a small (but limited) http server like gunicorn.

thetoon

by thetoon » Tue Mar 04, 2014 08:34

lightonflux wrote:And you don't need a full apache or nginx, you could ship a small (but limited) http server like gunicorn.

You don't even need that : most modern languages that could be of use for this kind of thing do have an embedded HTTP server class, or something along the same lines.

Novacain

by Novacain » Wed Mar 05, 2014 17:31

I just think it would be simpler. you would have one location to manage things like bans, passwords, mods, etc. in my opinion, it would simplify, and it doesn't seem like it would be that much harder. we already have a server tab, why not just modify that, and add a couple more features to it?
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 17:52

Novacain wrote:we already have a server tab, why not just modify that, and add a couple more features to it?

nobody wanting to host a serious server somewhere will use the Minetest client to host it
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Tedypig

IRC: Piggybear87
In-game: Piggybear

Re: [idea] server gui

by Tedypig » Mon May 12, 2014 04:47

A while back I suggested this (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5032) and basically got shut down as soon as I posted it. I suggested something like MCForge for MineCraft Classic. I tried learning Python to make my own, but I lost interest in it almost immediately. I do still think this is a good idea, and if it came to a vote, I for one would vote "YES!!!!". :)

JPRuehmann

by JPRuehmann » Mon May 12, 2014 07:43

Hello
There are only two things I can think of I would wish a UI for (NCurses or HTTP) the configuration of the mods (world.mt) and the creation of a new World on the Server.
For all other Tasks shell scripts and at would do the Trick.
A Ui only uses up computing power an complicates things.
ca

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Mon May 12, 2014 09:28

What would help more is something that makes port forwarding not necessary, such as UPnP support (which is rare in free/libre games currently).

Tedypig: you weren't turned down, I simply answered your question (you wanted to start a server without a client).

Tedypig

IRC: Piggybear87
In-game: Piggybear

by Tedypig » Tue Jun 03, 2014 15:52

Calinou wrote:Tedypig: you weren't turned down, I simply answered your question (you wanted to start a server without a client).

I wasn't singling anyone out. I was saying that some people said it would be useless/stupid whatever. My original idea was a GUI to control mods, send/receive in-game chat, use game commands, etc., but people turned me down when I made my request. Saying "make your own if you want it so bad", etc.

RavonTUS

by RavonTUS » Tue Jun 03, 2014 17:25

Greetings,

I would be happy with something as simple as managing the world file, port, and config file. I have written a BASH script for each of the three servers I have going. I looked at GLADE to create a GUI, but not everything seemed to be in ubuntu (GTKdialog) to make it work (or, more than likely, I don't know enought about it).

-Ravon

Return to Minetest Features