Client side skins?

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

Client side skins?

by Dragonop » Wed Nov 19, 2014 01:11

Hi all.

Is posible to make skins both client side, and server side?

In the skin selection tab, your client side skin will appear first of them all, and then all the other server side skins.

Esteban

GitHub: Esteban-
IRC: Esteban
In-game: Esteban

Re: Client side skins?

by Esteban » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:22

+1 It would be nice to have a skin without the need to download a mod, that if a new player arrives, you have to add a skin manually. Also, others peeps in the past have suggested using the forum to host the skins and even the skin database. Most answers have been that is planned for the future. :P

Also, the links to threads that have discussed this:
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=6023
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=7313
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=8298

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Wed Nov 19, 2014 15:04

There is already a skins website being developed.
http://minetest.fensta.bplaced.net/

What would be nice is if Minetest supported skins. You could have the client download the skin to .minetest/skins.
Then when you connect to a server it could upload the skin to that server.
The servers minetest.conf file could have an option to allow_skins = true which could be turned off if the server owner doesn't want to allow skins.
Just my thoughts.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Esteban

by Esteban » Wed Nov 19, 2014 15:22

Don wrote:There is already a skins website being developed.
http://minetest.fensta.bplaced.net/

When I talked about skin database I meant this one, sorry for not posting a link...

Don wrote:What would be nice is if Minetest supported skins. You could have the client download the skin to .minetest/skins.
Then when you connect to a server it could upload the skin to that server.
The servers minetest.conf file could have an option to allow_skins = true which could be turned off if the server owner doesn't want to allow skins.
Just my thoughts.

+1
This one sounds great!

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Wed Nov 19, 2014 18:27

Skin uploading is possible (although tricky), but then you need the server to moderate them in some way (high file and texture sizes, transparent skins, …).

Don

by Don » Wed Nov 19, 2014 18:58

Calinou wrote:Skin uploading is possible (although tricky), but then you need the server to moderate them in some way (high file and texture sizes, transparent skins, …).

If it is tricky then it isn't really possible. When a 12 year old joins a server and wants a skin, tricky becomes impossible. The idea would be that a player can make or download their own skin and be able to use it on any server. I would love it if Minetest could check for player skin on client and if there is one then upload it to my server automatically. You would have to be able to use the skin right away or on next log in. (not a server restart)
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

TG-MyinaWD

GitHub: Maddie-Myina
IRC: Maddie-Myina
In-game: .

by TG-MyinaWD » Thu Nov 20, 2014 15:12

Yeah maybe have a Linking of skin. like you enter a url or something.
But I think this will be a hard thing to do. but hope someday Minetest Lua API use linking. Since I know Gmod uses it own lua and there some addons allow you really, go on a site and do stuff. anyhow for Minetest Idk if the lua can handle a such thing just yet.

Plus it might need a good bandwidth value to download some skins.
Maybe someday there will be a linking like the IRC Mod.
I'm a Transgender no shame about it.
I prefer to be considered as a "Girl/Lady/Miss/Madam/Female" for now on.

Don

by Don » Thu Nov 20, 2014 16:08

Alt. Tester wrote:Plus it might need a good bandwidth value to download some skins.

I have 52 skins in a server I am making. With the skins and previews the folder is 472 kb. That is less then 1 meg per 100. If a server has 5000 users and each user has 5 skins that is a total of 250 megs of data for the 25000 skins. I am using high numbers and most servers would not have this many skins. Plus players would not all be uploading at the same time. If players can pick from existing skins on the server or use their own skin I can not see this being an issue with bandwidth. Let me know if I am missing something.

twoelk

by twoelk » Thu Nov 20, 2014 18:36

Don wrote:... Plus players would not all be uploading at the same time. If players can pick from existing skins on the server or use their own skin I can not see this being an issue with bandwidth. Let me know if I am missing something.

They will be downloading all of them to choose one.

Don

by Don » Thu Nov 20, 2014 19:21

twoelk wrote:
Don wrote:... Plus players would not all be uploading at the same time. If players can pick from existing skins on the server or use their own skin I can not see this being an issue with bandwidth. Let me know if I am missing something.

They will be downloading all of them to choose one.

That is why I say we have a site (http://minetest.fensta.bplaced.net/) to view them and/or players can get skin from skindex.

stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 05:45

what we need is something that uploads the skins to the server for the client to use and for everyone else to see. but then there would be the issue of people using inapropriate skins.

Esteban

by Esteban » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:55

stormchaser3000 wrote:what we need is something that uploads the skins to the server for the client to use and for everyone else to see. but then there would be the issue of people using inapropriate skins.

I think that can be solved with a ban...Or develop a "skin" priv, that if revoked, reverts the player skin to the default one.

Don

by Don » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:56

stormchaser3000 wrote:what we need is something that uploads the skins to the server for the client to use and for everyone else to see. but then there would be the issue of people using inapropriate skins.

New rule "No Inapproriate Skins"

GingerHunter797

In-game: GingerHunter797

by GingerHunter797 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 15:32

Voxelands has a character creator. Maybe Minetest could adopt something like this.
http://i.imgur.com/gqXXUaI.png

3DS Friend Code: 2122-7173-2797
Add me as a friend! :D

Want to play a fun game? http://voxelands.com/

stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 08:24

GingerHunter797 wrote:Voxelands has a character creator. Maybe Minetest could adopt something like this.

PLEASE NO I HATE THE NEW VOXELANDS SYSTEM

edit: at least don't make the default chatecter "nude"

Return to Minetest Features