Cannot Craft

theoriginalone

Cannot Craft

by theoriginalone » Fri Jul 13, 2012 20:23

I am trying to run a private map in the Ubuntu Software Center version. I cannot craft. I rather want a door for my house, but it will not cooperate. I am running creative mode, and I do not get anything I mine. Help please!
(>'.')> ~~~~~~~~~~%
O O

Josh

by Josh » Sat Jul 14, 2012 00:40

The ubuntu software centre version is 0.3.1 & that is outdated therefore you cannot make a door in that version. also you can't craft in creative mode. & you dont get anything you mine beacause your in creative mode try switching to survival mode by clicking the box next to creative mode you will know your in survival when the tick is not in the box. & you can get resources & craft in survival mode also if you want the new version with doors you need 0.4 dev 20120606 if your using linux you need to compile the game there is a video on how to do that on Youtube it's by 313hummer & it's called minetest-episode 32 getting & compiling the game
(with sounds) this should help you out if you get stuck let me know!

theoriginalone

by theoriginalone » Sun Jul 15, 2012 13:15

Are the newer versions supported by Linux? I have Xubuntu. Also, I have nothing in survival, so I cannot mine. Do my crafted items transfer to creative? If not, I will not have a house like I want.
(>'.')> ~~~~~~~~~~%
O O

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Sun Jul 15, 2012 13:29

Theoriginalone: I am running Xubuntu 11.10 and MInetest runs fine with NVidia's driver. Use a PPA or compile it yourself.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

Topywo

by Topywo » Sun Jul 15, 2012 13:34

theoriginalone wrote:Are the newer versions supported by Linux? Yes, the 'unstable' 0.4 (but those work fine) I have Xubuntu I have Lubuntu. Also, I have nothing in survival, so I cannot mine. You could start digging a tree with your hands and making a wooden pick with it. Do my crafted items transfer to creative? No, but you can rightclick them or q (drop) them on the ground and pick them up in survival. If not, I will not have a house like I want.

0.4 is supported by Linux. If you prefer YouTube, follow Josh's directions. If you want to compile it yourself (my preference) you can copy and paste everything from here:

https://github.com/celeron55/minetest --> scroll down, --> readme.txt --> scroll down --> Compiling on GNU/Linux
Copy + paste --> firts one you need sudo, so --> sudo (apt-get install build-essential libirrlicht-dev cmake libbz2-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg8-dev........ etc, etc... )

NB. from video I learned that instead of " $ make -j2 " you can type " $ make -j5 " . 2 is for single core, 5 for dual core
Tried it yesterday (I have a dual core). To be honest I don't notice much difference :-D

theoriginalone

by theoriginalone » Mon Jul 16, 2012 17:27

If I get a newer version, do I still keep my old map? I've spent a while building my house.
(>'.')> ~~~~~~~~~~%
O O

theoriginalone

by theoriginalone » Mon Jul 16, 2012 17:34

Never mind on the house. I got lost in a mine and can't get out. Plus, it will forever be a work-in-progress.
(>'.')> ~~~~~~~~~~%
O O

theoriginalone

by theoriginalone » Mon Jul 16, 2012 17:36

Also, I have hyperthreading, I think it is called. My computer poses as a dual-core, but it's technically single-core.
(>'.')> ~~~~~~~~~~%
O O

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Tue Jul 17, 2012 08:41

theoriginalone wrote:Also, I have hyperthreading, I think it is called. My computer poses as a dual-core, but it's technically single-core.

This has nothing to do with your problem... keep in mind, you also need to install the "minetest_game" repository to play with the "full" game, not just the "minimal" game.

cy

by cy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 08:55

the newer version can (in theory) use the old map. There is code to port from one to the other. How well it works I can't say for certain. I've never tried with an old map. It's probably best to start anew, and get on 0.4 as soon as possible. 0.4 was very much a rewrite and the vast majority of all development (mods etc) happened after that. There are also scripts to copy areas directly out of the map database which can then be restored in a different map (re: your house)

hyperthreading/dual core doesn't particularly matter. The program does use some threads for different dedicated time consuming tasks, but for the most part what matters is how fast your chips can collectively go.

If you are the first user on the server (or running a single user server) you can use all capabilities introduced in 0.4, one of them being "fly." Fly is a mode where you pass through walls (and can see when in them) and are not affected by gravity, can move up down left right fore and aft at will. Generally reserved for admins if that weren't obvious, it becomes quite handy if you get lost in a mine. Ther eis also the "teleport" capability, enabling a command like "/teleport 100,20,100"

Any user, not just first users, can press f5 in 0.4 version to get a listing of their coordinates. Nothing as sophisticated as a compass, but with a little mental gymnastics you can tell if you're facing north, and how far you are from the center of the map. At that point, remembering where you've been is as simple as writing the coordinates down in a text file, and getting out of a mine is as simple as digging a stair upward in the general direction you want to reach.
My PGP key is 61EF 2214 3FC8 1C13 0406 B327 CECE ED18 4398 7815

cy

by cy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 09:15

Calinou wrote:you also need to install the "minetest_game" repository to play with the "full" game, not just the "minimal" game.
In particular the "minimal" game does not have doors. <.<

https://github.com/celeron55/minetest
and
https://github.com/celeron55/minetest_game

respectively are the minetest "engine" (with a minimal game) and the default minetest game, with doors.
My PGP key is 61EF 2214 3FC8 1C13 0406 B327 CECE ED18 4398 7815

theoriginalone

by theoriginalone » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:43

Is compiling the latest version easy? And by easy, I mean, wil it be done in at most half an hour? Also, will it be relatively stable?
(>'.')> ~~~~~~~~~~%
O O

cosarara97

by cosarara97 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:45

Topywo wrote:NB. from video I learned that instead of " $ make -j2 " you can type " $ make -j5 " . 2 is for single core, 5 for dual core
Tried it yesterday (I have a dual core). To be honest I don't notice much difference :-D

Actually, the number depends on the number of threads you have (you can see it in the gnome system monitor). For example, I have 2 cores and 4 threads, so in theory if I want it to compile at the maximum velocity I should use -j4 (but I usually use -j2, because I don't want the compiler to eat all my cpu)

theoriginalone: If you have never compiled a program, I'd recommend first using the ppa (https://code.launchpad.net/~minetestdevs/+archive/daily-builds) and try to compile when you have more time. It's important that you learn how to compile a program yourself, but if you want to start playing the ppa is the fastest way.
:D

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:49

theoriginalone wrote:Is compiling the latest version easy? And by easy, I mean, wil it be done in at most half an hour? Also, will it be relatively stable?

Yes, it takes 10 minutes to compile.
Install the dependencies, get the latest source code and compile it. Read the readme carefully.

theoriginalone

by theoriginalone » Tue Jul 17, 2012 20:11

Calinou wrote:
theoriginalone wrote:Is compiling the latest version easy? And by easy, I mean, wil it be done in at most half an hour? Also, will it be relatively stable?

Yes, it takes 10 minutes to compile.
Install the dependencies, get the latest source code and compile it. Read the readme carefully.

Is the "yes" to the first question or both? What is stability, and what will an unstable program do?
(>'.')> ~~~~~~~~~~%
O O

Return to Minetest Problems