Conception for a tree Mod

tkerwel

Conception for a tree Mod

by tkerwel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 08:40

Hello,

i always was looking for a bit more variation in minetest for tree's, plant's everything wich deals with nature. as many of you guys are bussy doing great stuff, i missed different trees.

here is the first one i mad for minetest, a birch.

whats new with this tree ?

- birch texture for trunk and leaves
- round trunk
- different height (due to abm)
- different look (outline is random)

so the chance to have different looking trees are big, everytime you plant a sampling

if some body like to have this as mod, leave a comment then i will make it availible.

next goal: pine tree

maybe somebody likes to join me i a team?

for example i dont know how to use github as platform, so if somebody teach me and want to help me with this mod (and some more i working on) i would be glad.

so what a team member needs for requirements?

- a (MUST) understanding of using github
- some basic skills in programming,
- understanding of the lua-api

nice would be:

- knowlege of compiling minetest for windows, linux (different versions, ubuntu, debian etc...)
- skill's in gimp
- skill's in 3d design and converting this to minetest

as big project i like to line up for a 3D maker as external program, this programm should produce an output for the node_box function in minetest.

so if anyone have nterest, feel free to message me.

greetings from bremen/germany
thomas
++++ Kung walang tiyaga, walang nilaga. ++++

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Thu Jul 26, 2012 08:45

Great mod idea; keep this up!

greetings from Niedersachsen/Germany

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 08:55

PilzAdam wrote:Great mod idea; keep this up!

greetings from Niedersachsen/Germany

greetings back as long as you are not a fan of HSV96 *evilsmile*

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Thu Jul 26, 2012 09:03

tkerwel wrote:greetings back as long as you are not a fan of HSV96 *evilsmile*

I dont care about football.

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Thu Jul 26, 2012 09:31

PilzAdam wrote:
tkerwel wrote:greetings back as long as you are not a fan of HSV96 *evilsmile*

I dont care about football.

THANK YOU.

tkerwel: http://ompldr.org/vZXZlZQ/tree.png download that.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 09:37

@Jordach

for what should i use is this tree 16*16 png ? maybe i dont see the tree within all the trees... but in the moment i dont get for what i should use this?

Topywo

by Topywo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:28

tkerwel wrote:next goal: pine tree

maybe somebody likes to join me i a team?

Splizard works on a pine tree. http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=33689#p33689

Great, more trees :-)

Stef

by Stef » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:37

nice but i want a blocky trunk
Sorry for my crappy english, im dutch :D

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:46

Stef wrote:nice but i want a blocky trunk

thats no problem just delete in the code the fixed = slopebox

from
node_box = {
type = "fixed",
fixed = slopebox,
},

to

node_box = {
type = "fixed",
},

and the mod use a cube/blocky trunk again....

hmm maybe i should build in a posibility to switch between round/blocky trunk's ...one more point on my feature list for that mod....

thanks Stef

Stef

by Stef » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:49

thank you for the help tkerwel
Sorry for my crappy english, im dutch :D

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 13:12

ups...i forgot of course you have also to delete the

drawtype = "nodebox",

in the minetest.register_node otherwise you will have a empty nonvisible cube

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 13:19

thats the look of the pine tree when done..

- textures are done
- trunk growing done
- still working on the leaves so the slopes have different directions....hope i have time for this on the next days..

as i already mention, if somebody like to work in a team with me (as team member or leader, i dont care as long as i can improve my reactivate my programming skills ...) fell free to contact me
Last edited by tkerwel on Thu Jul 26, 2012 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Thu Jul 26, 2012 13:41

im looking for new trees to replace default trees for my modpack, i love the pine trees though i find the leaves a little bright for a pine :-/
"Fuck the hat." - Paulie Gualtieri

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 13:50

mauvebic wrote:im looking for new trees to replace default trees for my modpack, i love the pine trees though i find the leaves a little bright for a pine :-/

this would be no problem, in gimp the brightness can easly adjusted..... so thats a to do for seconds...

i always use brighter textures, cause it easier to see when the real sun in burning on my screen.... and yes there is something outside on the sky what must be the sun....(after that long time of rain rain and rain..)

so if you need somebody as coworker or team-member.....*gg*

**edit**
i use almost all your mods.... would be a honer for me to assist you
Last edited by tkerwel on Thu Jul 26, 2012 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Thu Jul 26, 2012 14:09

coolness :-) we should take all the tree mods and make a modpack out of them :-) i have two trees i can kick in

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 14:26

in the moment i only have the birch working ... still working on the pine... looks like you have 100% more trees then me *lol*

it a good idea to merge that into a mod. if you like you can contact me via email function here in the forum and give me the info where i can send a zip file with code and texture...

also we then can settle the prozess for developing in future, what kind of rules we follwo and and and...

and i have no problem to call you teamleader or boss *gg*

no serious, due to the things you already did for minetest i thing you are much more into this stuff and so you are the better choice when it comes for decisions dealing with minetest.

so up to you, if you like to work in a team.... maybe you even have a cool name for the team ?

p.s. you know abt the github thing???? i think that would be a good way to merge this things.

Neuromancer

GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 00:42

The conifers mod makes really beautiful trees, but then they grow huge and the leaf decay does not work when you chop the trunk down so it takes about 20 minutes to chop down one conifer on a server without fly privs. Then also these things spawn everywhere and destroy structures that people have built. Please make sure leaf decay works and that they do not eliminate nodes from existing structures but only grow leaves/needles where there is air. Otherwise you will just have beautiful trees that no one wants to use. Conifers are the most hated mod on Menche's server.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Fri Jul 27, 2012 00:45, edited 1 time in total.

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Fri Jul 27, 2012 06:15

@Neuromancer

thx for the tip...

in the moment in my mod you have to craft the saplings for the tree's, in this phase of developing the mod the easiest way to control and test the behaivour of the trees.

there is decay in it yet, (i did not think abt this.....) and also i did not implement yet the proof if there is a air node or something esle before starting growing.

my focus is in the moment to design different variation of trees, the rest will be impementet later. as long as i doing this alone, its hard with my limited time. so i have to focus step by step, what is in my opinion important.

one reason why this thread is called "conception of a a tree mod" and not availible for download yet.

but with every post here i get an better idea what still have to be considered and needed in this mod. hope more ppl post there thoughts here, so i can create a to do list and maybe a "roadmap" for this mod.

thx in advance for more ideas.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 06:36

+1
With the ''pine trees'' maybe you should alter the width of the branches some, maybe near the bottom they are 3/4 blocks wide (depending on the height of the tree) and near the top they are only 1 block wide...that will add more variety to the trees.
Also, maybe the branches could have a chance of giving the player ''pine cones'' when removing the branches, and ''pine cones'' can be set on dirt/dirt with grass to make a pine tree sapling.
Resources are abundant; only money is scarce. People should not have to work hard and remain poor just to pay for the needs of survival.
Society can thrive without money - but only if productive members of society are rewarded for being productive.

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Fri Jul 27, 2012 06:56

both trees(birch/pinetree) already have a chance to get a sapling when you harvest the leaves. but its a good idea to combine this with a cone. i realy like this idea !!!!!!!!

the pic of the pinetree is just an example and handmake, still working on the code for a random different shape for that tree, the goal is to produce something like you suggest, with a variation in output every time a tree grows.

i hope i got enogh time this weekend (family has so many plans ...) to code the different leaves shapes i need as node_box, then next step is to find a code for the tree growing.

after that i think i will build in the proof if there is air or not...

still not sure if the trees should grow randomly by themself or if they have to be crafted.... in the moment i think they should be crafted, cause i dont like them to grow everywhere. this should be a matter of binome....guess this has to merge later with other mods to fullfill a random grow and spreading/dying of trees ...

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Fri Jul 27, 2012 08:08

tkerwel wrote:in the moment i only have the birch working ... still working on the pine... looks like you have 100% more trees then me *lol*

it a good idea to merge that into a mod. if you like you can contact me via email function here in the forum and give me the info where i can send a zip file with code and texture...

also we then can settle the prozess for developing in future, what kind of rules we follwo and and and...

and i have no problem to call you teamleader or boss *gg*

no serious, due to the things you already did for minetest i thing you are much more into this stuff and so you are the better choice when it comes for decisions dealing with minetest.

so up to you, if you like to work in a team.... maybe you even have a cool name for the team ?

p.s. you know abt the github thing???? i think that would be a good way to merge this things.

Im not looking to manage another mod - If you want to setup the github or gittorius, ill upload my slim-tree and palm tree :-)
Last edited by mauvebic on Fri Jul 27, 2012 08:11, edited 1 time in total.

toleaxus

by toleaxus » Sat Jul 28, 2012 04:51

cool mod +1 plz giveme link if you finished this cool mod

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:28

Update:

as i have to define every direction for the pine slopes i need more time as i was planing, so far still missing the ones on the corners...

to do:
- define 4 coner-slopes
- growing height routine (will take the same like the birch, so thats fast)
- growing different shapes (still thinking of a good routine for different shapes)
- make sure that a tree dont grow where already something is build (this realy gives me some pain ....)
- crafting recipies for birch/pine- saplings

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Mon Jul 30, 2012 17:42

It isn't necessary to design more than one "direction" for a nodebox-based item anymore - the "facedir" option will take care of that, and the texture rotation bug has since been fixed.

Also it might look better in this particular case if you use as few nodeboxes as possible, since they do represent leaves. They might look better with a little "blockiness" in the slopes.
Last edited by VanessaE on Mon Jul 30, 2012 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Mon Jul 30, 2012 18:41

Assuming he's using an ABM to spawn the tree, how does he use the tree/trunk to assign a facedir to the leaves? (could come in handy :-))
Last edited by mauvebic on Mon Jul 30, 2012 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

jin_xi

by jin_xi » Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:48

like this:

minetest.env:add_node(pos, { name = "trees:pine",
param2 = fd,
paramtype2 = "none" })

with fd being 0, 1, 2, 3 (the four directions, counterclockwise)

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Mon Jul 30, 2012 22:49

Look at the code I used in poisonivy, namely the plants that grow up a wall. Same deal here as there, I would think:

minetest.env:add_node(p_top, {name = nodename, param2 = direction}

Where a value of 2-5 in the "direction" spot chooses one of the four vertical faces of the node in which the object is being placed, and by extension which way it should face.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Tue Jul 31, 2012 06:14

@VanessaE, jin_xi

jesus i tortoure my mind for the whole weekend and the solution is so easy !!! dam....

okay this means i have to rewrite my code now, anyway if that realy works this is one of the best tips yet i found in this community !!!

i really pulll my hat and bench deep to pray the god(ness??) of minetest ....

thanks alot vanessaE and jin_xi

UPDATE:
i change this now to
minetest.env:add_node({x=pos.x-1,y=pos.y+i,z=pos.z},{type="node",name="deko:deko_pine_r_leaves", param2= 2, paramtype2="none"})

for place a leave on the left side of treetrunk, but whatever i use for value for "param2=x" its always facing in the same direction.
do i have to use in the minetest.register_node now the value => paramtype2 = "facedir" to get it working ?

UPDATE2:
yep answer thsi question by my self... i have to use paramtype2 in the minetest.register_node to get this working...

looks my code is now a bit smaler for the trees .....*lol*

UPDATE3:

it worked now with less defenition of node_boxes....

Last edited by tkerwel on Tue Jul 31, 2012 08:31, edited 1 time in total.

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Tue Jul 31, 2012 08:39

so thanks to vanessaE and jin_xi i made a big step today for that mod concept.

now i already have slope leaves for all directions, the tree's grow everytime different in height and the leaves start randomly 1 or 2 blocks over the floor.

harvesting them give you with the rarity of 10 the chance to find a pine sapling otherwiese its a default:leaves

to do:
- make sure that a tree dont grow where already something is build (this realy gives me some pain ....)
- crafting recipies for birch/pine- saplings

maybe:
- replace some leaves for leaves with cone as sapling
- make this compatible for the 4 season mode from mauvebic (guess i have then change the code of mauvebic?? to get this done)

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Tue Jul 31, 2012 08:57

gosh still bothering with the => FIXME: Meshbuffer ran out of indices

i already remove the round tree trunk...and also the detail level of the slopes....

if there is no solution for that, i guess trees with node_boxes like slopes are only a concept and will not really be ever a part of a mod...

Next

Return to WIP Mods