Xanadu Server

auouymous

GitHub: auouymous
IRC: air
In-game: auouymous

Re: Xanadu Server

by auouymous » Tue Jun 23, 2015 01:29

Many new players have no idea how to play the game. They don't know how to pick up items, how to replant crops/saplings, how to eat food, how to protect their stuff or how to use stargates to find places to build. Some players have food and die repeatedly because they didn't realize starvation was killing them. I'll bet many players who don't replant the public farms don't know how.

What if new players spawned in a different location that had no way out and they lacked privs to use the /spawn command? The area could be divided into tutorial rooms, each room explaining how to do a single task in many languages and for PCs and tablets. They would teleport to the next room after completing each task. And get teleported to spawn and giving /spawn command priv after the final tutorial.

It would be easy to write a mod that gives the player a tutorial sapling, placing the sapling teleports player and removes the sapling. And tutorial food could teleport player when consumed. The other rooms could just explain stuff and use normal teleporters to continue. The hardest part would be building the tutorial rooms.

Thoughts?

MinetestAmber

In-game: amberdoesmt23

by MinetestAmber » Tue Jun 23, 2015 04:53

Uhm,So I spawned my NPC...Are the skins for them set,or do they..mimic your skin? Mine seems really similar to mine,a steampunk girl skin.

Noted: They can't climb ladders
Attachments
NPC.png
Her ^ I named her Elizabeth,or "Beth"
NPC.png (161.39 KiB) Viewed 2545 times

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Tue Jun 23, 2015 05:54

there are only two possibilities:
1. NPCs have multiple skins like most mobs and when you place them, one is randomly selected.
2. there are male and female NPCs. Ten gave you one wih the same gender as you.

besides that, the NPC model has a set skin and the similar appearance to you is just coincidence.
also all girl skins with long hair have exactly the same face.

when i got my NPC i expected a beautiful maiden, because Ten talked about how he used a female NPC as waitress in the TNT Cafe. i placed my NPC in my house next to my kittens. i expected a beautiful female, but ...
... suddenly a bearded man in a warrior outfit appeared and for some reason he got very close to me ...
i was running away but he followed me without fail.
then Ten told me that NPCs can be commanded to follow or to stay, just like dogs.
finally i was able to stop the bearded man and get some distance between us.
although not what i expected, i must admit that he is not unattractive.
i will use him as my bartender in my party room, but first i have to build the bar, so that he can stand behind it and serve drinks.

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 06:56

Lolol, NPC's are one mob which have 2 skins (male/female) which is chosen at random when you place them down... If you get male and want female then use magic lasso to pick up and re-place...

amadin

GitHub: Amadin

by amadin » Tue Jun 23, 2015 08:41

People, how to use item Workbench. I search in google bit i find nothing about.Image

amadin

by amadin » Tue Jun 23, 2015 08:48

auouymous wrote:Many new players have no idea how to play the game. They don't know how to pick up items, how to replant crops/saplings, how to eat food, how to protect their stuff or how to use stargates to find places to build. Some players have food and die repeatedly because they didn't realize starvation was killing them. I'll bet many players who don't replant the public farms don't know how.

I think just need add a "Signs" to spawn with base instructions about this (english only enough) or write manual in www and post link to it in game at "Sign".

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 09:51

Place raw materials in the left-most grid... craft recipe in the middle grid and the workbench will use the raw materials to output into the right-most grid...

amadin

by amadin » Tue Jun 23, 2015 15:18

TenPlus1, maybe can delete this platform in the sky? I think it spoils the cityscape,
we can use the tower on the right for a overlook from the height. It is at yellow teleport.

Big3Force

In-game: Big3Force

by Big3Force » Tue Jun 23, 2015 21:51

Was i Banned or the server down??

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 06:19

Prolly server crash... just to recap though, server will be moved on 1st July and will be down whole day and maybe part of 2nd...

amadin

by amadin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:52

There are no image of melon slice for item frame.

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Sun Jun 28, 2015 15:21

How do I get a NPC?

iska

In-game: iska

by iska » Sun Jun 28, 2015 15:39

Howdy, I'm trying to get in, see all your messages about not moving - i am not ;) just pressing 8 to choose food and eat...

edit: got in, after first try i thought immediately its freezing bug because i saw server uptime is long - so held mouse upside down on my hand to quickly left click without rotating view.
This however didnt work until maybe the fourth time.
Weirdness. ;)

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 17:27

This bug has only started happening since the std::bad_alloc error reared it's ugly head, but just incase I'm going through each of the mods 1 by 1 to see if anything would cause this to happen on joining...

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Mon Jun 29, 2015 16:15

This server is having some pretty ugly problems right now. Crashing all the time and such...

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 16:59

It's a map glitch error in the game itself... Devs have been informed but when a player is in an area containing a corrupted map block then it crashes server instead of simple displaying an error message...

auouymous

by auouymous » Tue Jun 30, 2015 02:37

TenPlus1 wrote:It's a map glitch error in the game itself... Devs have been informed but when a player is in an area containing a corrupted map block then it crashes server instead of simple displaying an error message...

Does it log which area caused the problem or do you have to test with only one player on server?

lag01

GitHub: AndrejIT
IRC: lag01
In-game: lag

by lag01 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 04:49

auouymous wrote:
TenPlus1 wrote:It's a map glitch error in the game itself... Devs have been informed but when a player is in an area containing a corrupted map block then it crashes server instead of simple displaying an error message...

Does it log which area caused the problem or do you have to test with only one player on server?

Handle map with this script viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10333 with remap.py
, it will copy only parseable blocks and show faulty block index in console. (delete 51, 48, 47, 46 lines in script if you don't need to filter blocks)

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 06:45

auouymous: sadly no errors apart from the std::bad_alloc error when server crashes, so it turns into a hunt for the bad map area to be found and if possible use WorldEdit to blank that area to fix things, which isn't handy for built up areas and players' buildings...

lag01: thanks for the script, the Xanadu map is now over 60gb in size and this may indeed help... Will it strip out all bad areas and leave those containing a protector ???

auouymous

by auouymous » Tue Jun 30, 2015 07:41

TenPlus1 wrote:lag01: thanks for the script, the Xanadu map is now over 60gb in size and this may indeed help... Will it strip out all bad areas and leave those containing a protector ???

It makes a copy of the database but strips out areas it can't read, which would probably cause a database read error when loaded on the server. It might help, you could visit the areas it lists as bad and see if server crashes. It seems like the problems Xanadu has are random and a database error would happen every time the area is loaded. Like when you added the new mobs and that one would change skin and then warp away which caused a crash.

The filtering part of that script "ungenerates" entire areas that have been explored but not built in. The list of blocks in middle of script, which include a protector, are used to determine if the area shouldn't be removed. A nice feature but I imagine it would create unmatched terrain around player builds (your ocean build might now be in a small lake).

lag01

GitHub: AndrejIT
IRC: lag01
In-game: lag

by lag01 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 09:14

TenPlus1 wrote:Will it strip out all bad areas and leave those containing a protector ???

yes, and it will produce valid map. if you need, then later i can modify it, to include all valid blocks, but you can easy do it yourself.

Bonny

by Bonny » Tue Jun 30, 2015 09:35

for some reason i cant login to server i see people login in it but for me its just being stuck on connecting to server :/

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 09:40

Server is up and running bonny, could be a connection problem maybe ?

If you are on a Windows laptop check any new virus software installed to see if it's blocking Minetest from connecting to the internet...

Also, try reloading the server list a few times, might be trying to connect to an old ip address...
Last edited by TenPlus1 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 09:44, edited 2 times in total.

Bonny

by Bonny » Tue Jun 30, 2015 09:41

TenPlus1 wrote:Server is up and running bonny, could be a connection problem maybe ?

i tried to login to different server..it worked just fine

iska

In-game: iska

by iska » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:19

Same here, this morning was ok but then after a while sudden disconnect and couldnt connect now for two hours or so. I thought the moving process had started already ;)

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:27

Very weird problem...

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:30

When you are looking for the bad map areas, check in the deep deep canyon connected to the hell zone that Skrote built. My son won't mine there anymore because he was afraid he was crashing the server.

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Tue Jun 30, 2015 18:25

news from the Underworld Project:

progress had stopped for a while, since i worked on Sol Sanctum, Gaia Tower and the cleaning work near spawn.
but now i finally decided the final design of the Underworld.

the main attraction of the Underworld is the Underworld Mine. it will have more than the one planned entrance.
the Underworld itself will be a decorative town with an Inn and food and equipment shops.

so the following buildings are needed:
- entrance to the Underworld Mine (multiples)
- Underworld Inn
- Underworld Library (will display information about mining and monsters)
- Underworld Blacksmith (equipment shop)
- Underworld Cafe (food shop)
- Underworld Ship (for decoration)
- Underworld Clocktower ?

if there is enough space, more buildings can be added.
when the server is back on the net, i will resume my work in the Underworld to get it started.
contact Red_Fox to join. (as it is now, full crystal armor is required to move in the Underworld).

DuDraig

IRC: DuDraig
In-game: DuDraig

by DuDraig » Thu Jul 02, 2015 03:01

Where did Xanadu go? It no longer appears in the public server list and the last address (98.166.175.89:30000) no longer accepts connections. This has been going on since last night.

auouymous

by auouymous » Thu Jul 02, 2015 03:24

DuDraig wrote:Where did Xanadu go? It no longer appears in the public server list and the last address (98.166.175.89:30000) no longer accepts connections. This has been going on since last night.

Server is being moved to a new locaton, it will be back in a day or two.

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest Servers