[DOWN] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!)

Alienant1

In-game: alienant1 or alienant2

Re: [0.4.13-dev] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!)

by Alienant1 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 17:23

Could you change the command to just /vote like in Gunshippenguin's hungry games server? It is easier to type and people may have used it before.
Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

PlasmaHam

In-game: PlasmaHam

by PlasmaHam » Tue Dec 01, 2015 18:07

rubenwardy wrote: For me, this game is about making castles and then attacking each other - that is the point.

Since that is your perspective on it, their should be a more effective way to destroy buildings than just iron pickaxes. Maybe, something like, TNT? Just think of it, placing a bomb, igniting it as you run away Action hero style, and if you get far enough away in time you will be rewarded with a hole in the enemy fort that will take more time to fix than your standard pickaxe attack would.
Live long and Prosper

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 18:09

I'd like to add TNT - but I need to fix some things first. I'm going to change it to vote now.

Hiradur

by Hiradur » Tue Dec 01, 2015 20:27

How many points does one team have to score for a map reset? For the past 30mins or so the map was resetting frequently, is 1 point already enough? If so I'd propose to increase it because this way games don't last very long. They should be much more interesting when the teams build castles, dig tunnels, tech up their equipment...

kaadmy

GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 20:59

Yeah, I agree. When I play, I usually go to the first few chests I find to get guns, then the map gets reset :(
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 00:20

I've deployed a new map which puts the teams further apart, and more obstacles between them - it's not perfect though. At some point I'll need a map where I can put 3 flags per team.

Kpenguin

IRC: Kpenguin
In-game: Kpenguin

by Kpenguin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 00:52

Okay, couple things:

I like the supplies chest and longer building time.
I like the bigger map except for one thing - why no trees? Trees are essential for getting apples for health, sticks for tools and for making a stronger base (it takes forever to break wood with a pickaxe and you can use it to fuel a furnace to make stone bricks which are impossible to break with a wooden pick). I would suggest putting some trees nearby both bases. The old map was a bit imbalanced because the red base was rather far from any trees.
I like being able to mine around the flag.
I don't like not having sneak enabled. Having it enables makes building your base easier and safer and also provides a challenge to make the base invulnerable to sneak elevator attacks (for example, putting a ledge around the outside edge).
I like the idea of adding TNT. :) *fizz BOOM!
I like the idea of adding multiple flags.

Keep up the good work! This was a great idea for a server and subgame and you definitely have a lot going for you!

Kpenguin
supertuxkart.net

"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Players will always find the hidden flaw in your master plan; If there's no hidden flaw, it's against the rules; If it isn't against the rules, one player will convince the others it is. - Murphy's 2nd Law of Gaming

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 01:27

Not having any trees was a bug which has been fixed.
I'm going to rework the mechanics of crafting etc eventually. Wood shouldn't be harder than stone. I think that some weapons should be found, and some should be unlocked for the whole team if they reach a score / spend gold unlocking it. idk, I'm not decided.
Sneak elevators are an old-player thing only, and are not intuitive. They're also not good for mobile players:

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Wed Dec 02, 2015 01:41

rubenwardy wrote:Sneak elevators are an old-player thing only

You are making me feel old.

Btw, maybe you should make the ammo packs more common, I usually don't find many of them in chests.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 02:55

I've added a statistics page to track player numbers, available at minetest.rubenwardy.com/stats/

That big drop there wasn't a server crash or restart, it just happened suddenly. Someone won just before then, I think it's either due to rage quits or to tea times.

PlasmaHam

In-game: PlasmaHam

by PlasmaHam » Thu Dec 03, 2015 03:08

Wow, I remember when sneak elevators weren't even a thing.
I have been here way too long.

And the pie graph up there is amazing. That just gave me a completely new perspective on how people use minetest. People today are so obsessed with their phones, that they play a game that's much easier to control on PC. Actually kind of sad, if you think about it.
Live long and Prosper

Minetest Sam

by Minetest Sam » Thu Dec 03, 2015 14:09

Ruben its an awsome server. I am thinking that I will givee you the design of my map which based on Micro battles mini game from minecraft and i hope that you can make a server on it

Kpenguin

by Kpenguin » Thu Dec 03, 2015 14:17

rubenwardy wrote:I've added a statistics page to track player numbers, available at minetest.rubenwardy.com/stats/

That big drop there wasn't a server crash or restart, it just happened suddenly. Someone won just before then, I think it's either due to rage quits or to tea times.

Why are there consistently more red players than blue players?
supertuxkart.net

"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Players will always find the hidden flaw in your master plan; If there's no hidden flaw, it's against the rules; If it isn't against the rules, one player will convince the others it is. - Murphy's 2nd Law of Gaming

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 14:22

Kpenguin wrote:Why are there consistently more red players than blue players?

It's a stacked graph. The top of the red area is blue players + red players.
You can tell how many is in each team by looking at how much color is visible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_chart

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Thu Dec 03, 2015 14:38

PlasmaHam wrote:Wow, I remember when sneak elevators weren't even a thing.
I have been here way too long.

Sneak Elevators were here since the beggining, sadly we don't see them that much this days.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 00:44

Added a league table (/rankings) and end of match summaries:

Also:

• readded furnaces
  • added a 7 minute time limit to flag pick ups
  • fixed "Team X won!" messages being hidden by "player joined team X" messages.

Minetest Sam

by Minetest Sam » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:43

rubenwardy wrote:Added a league table (/rankings) and end of match summaries:

Also:

• readded furnaces
  • added a 7 minute time limit to flag pick ups
  • fixed "Team X won!" messages being hidden by "player joined team X" messages.

Here are somethings that you can add in your server
1) colours on players name so it is easy to find who is in your team and who is not.
2) A hub
3)Different kinds of maps which players can vote and choose
4) Food for regen
5) and can you change the place of flag as we need to cover it and people also spawn there,so, can you change the spawn and make sure flag is not very near to the spawn so we can cover it.
6) Also add a kind of chest refil which fills itself after a certain period of time like 5 minutes or 6 minutes

And overall it is a nice server and seeing its new its very good.
I hope you implement these things in your server.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:53

1) I originally did this, but it was too easy to see enemies approaching, and people didn't like that.
2) I don't know what you mean by a hub.
3) This is rather technically hard to do, but I would like to do eventually
4) You can use apples - maybe health packs would be a more realistic items
5) You're supposed to build walls around it - if the defenders are good then it's a little harder to attack. I'm planning on moving the spawn position.
6) You're supposed to go exploring for more materials, there are treasure chests around the map. I think that having finite resources makes it harder and better - if everyone had machine guns I don't think it would be as fun (I like being able to find rare things in chests)

Minetest Sam

by Minetest Sam » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:52

A hub means where people spawn and then choose their map(in the they want to play)
A hub also provides a selection where people can choose their kits like leather armor,chain armor and iron armor
They can buy those kits by killing people. Like for leather they need to kill 50 people and for chain they need to kill 200.
And you can also make people choose their kit like there can be three kits defender,builder and attacker. It will their choice which kit they want to pick.
And everyone spawns with different materials like builder spawns with building blocks and a pickaxe , defender spawns with gun and attacker spawns with sword, a stone pickaxe and a and gun.
By this way people will have some work to do and not rather just go for an attack or just defend

prof-turbo

by prof-turbo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 15:44

2) A hub would break the simplicity. When you go to this server, you play, no waiting time. And that's what many players want.
3) Many maps would mean many players or much more work to do. Actually the server is pretty weak so it can't have many players connected at the same time, and many things can make it lag. Also, a great single map is better than many little maps. Let's first focus on one.
4) This would make it too hard to kill the flag man. This server is not about survive, not as Hunger Games servers.

6) I agree with the idea of "team chests"

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 16:45

We already have the chests, just not refilling ones.

There is a lot of room to optimise the server - I've already made the map access 50x faster. I don't see any lag with 16 players, I'm in England and the server is in the Netherlands. I have 90 Mbps though, so a little biased, and some players may be in America. I'd like to see better serverside optimisation for Minetest. The host is on digital ocean and costs $10 a month - I got $50 free credit from GitHub's student pack. If some is able to recommend a better host or donate money then please do :)

TemaX

IRC: TemaX
In-game: TemaX

by TemaX » Sat Dec 05, 2015 05:40

I was banned, reason is "excessive hogging", what is mean?
and where the rules that i can read to not banned next time?

Minetest Sam

by Minetest Sam » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:05

Damn,Ruben I am trying to play Capture the flag but it seems that you server has too many clients seems like people are loving it.

Alienant1

In-game: alienant1 or alienant2

by Alienant1 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 13:51

I think that excessive hogging means you held the flag for too long without capturing
Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

IceAgeComing

by IceAgeComing » Sat Dec 05, 2015 16:21

Very fun server, but can get frustrating very often when people keep griefing/sabotaging their own base.
It happens all the time
People using shotgun to keep shooting their own base walls, using pick to break every last piece of wall, etc.
Times like this i feel like ragequitting :).
But i do love the server.
Last edited by IceAgeComing on Sat Dec 05, 2015 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

Kpenguin

by Kpenguin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 16:37

IceAgeComing wrote:Very fun server, but can get frustrating very often when people keep griefing/sabotaging their own base.
It happens all the time
People using shotgun to keep shooting their own base walls, using pick to break every last piece of wall, etc.
Aimes like this i feel like ragequitting :).

Yes, we need more moderators to deal with such types. There have been one or two people swearing as well.
supertuxkart.net

prof-turbo

by prof-turbo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 22:37

Swearing and spamming can be avoided with some mods/IRC bots

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 23:45

I typed a long post, but it got deleted when I accidentally closed the tab (to clear up tabs)...

IceAgeComing wrote:Very fun server, but can get frustrating very often when people keep griefing/sabotaging their own base.
It happens all the time
Aimes like this i feel like ragequitting :).

I've been away for the last 28 hours, so haven't had a to moderate. I've just dealt with the sabateurs IceAgeComing mentioned - m****s has been perma-banned.

TemaX wrote:I was banned, reason is "excessive hogging", what is mean?
and where the rules that i can read to not banned next time?

It was a 1 day temp-ban for flag hogging, multiple times, in excess of 2 hours. I've changed my mind and I think that if the game lets you do that, then you can do that (with the exception of sabotage and obvious exploitation of bugs). In any case, a warning would have been a much more suitable, so I apologise for temp-banning. I'm new to this :P. I've since made it so you drop the flag after 7 minutes.

Minetest Sam wrote:Damn,Ruben I am trying to play Capture the flag but it seems that you server has too many clients seems like people are loving it.

Even if my server could support it, I feel like more than 20 players would be too much. I could set up a place to donate, to pay for more servers - for example, I like the idea of a more medieval / fantasy CTF game. And there's also the City vs City game I've been planning for a long time.

Kpenguin wrote:Yes, we need more moderators to deal with such types. There have been one or two people swearing as well.

The server is now on an IRC channel, #minetest-ctf on irc.inchra.net, which will mean I can easily moderate whilst not playing the game. I am also still looking for moderators.

prof-turbo

by prof-turbo » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:31

I have to edit what I said. Swearing is part of the players language. Avoiding it would surely permit to kick rude people but would also kick many players for a "Fuck it" or a "Shit". Even if they're insulting theirself, it's part of the game.

But spam is something that should be avoided. I think that there should be a mute mod that removes the "shout" right to players writing a too long sentence (e.g : 400 characters) or writing it too fast (e.g : 5 sentences in 5 seconds) or writing several times the same thing (e.g : 4 times in 60 seconds).

Some problems I had :
- I think you should enable fast which is on every client (phones/computers) and set it's speed to something like 2 * walkspeed.
- I think you should disable server security. It just rollbacks players that are lagging, which is to me a bad point (e.g : When you walk to another part of the map and get rollbacked to the flag).
- I think we should have a fixed seed, with fixed trees, but not fixed chests. This should avoid most of the lags we encountered recently ( Also this creates server lag AND client lag, when generating a new map ).

Thanks for reading :)

Edit :

Some players named Katniss_Everdeen and Madeleine could not connect to the server because of "sexual content" in their name. If it could be fixed... ;)
For the anti-spam feature, it could become important because of some players I saw recently, so if anyone has tips to make this mod/feature on the IRC-bot or in the server mods...

HeavyTruth

GitHub: nonofyourbuisnees
IRC: PEWPEW
In-game: Bang

by HeavyTruth » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:41

prof-turbo wrote:I have to edit what I said. Swearing is part of the players language. Avoiding it would surely permit to kick rude people but would also kick many players for a "Fuck it" or a "Shit". Even if they're insulting theirself, it's part of the game.

But spam is something that should be avoided. I think that there should be a mute mod that removes the "shout" right to players writing a too long sentence (e.g : 400 characters) or writing it too fast (e.g : 5 sentences in 5 seconds) or writing several times the same thing (e.g : 4 times in 60 seconds).

Some problems I had :
- I think you should enable fast which is on every client (phones/computers) and set it's speed to something like 2 * walkspeed.
- I think you should disable server security. It just rollbacks players that are lagging, which is to me a bad point (e.g : When you walk to another part of the map and get rollbacked to the flag).
- I think we should have a fixed seed, with fixed trees, but not fixed chests. This should avoid most of the lags we encountered recently ( Also this creates server lag AND client lag, when generating a new map ).

Thanks for reading :)

Edit :

Some players named Katniss_Everdeen and Madeleine could not connect to the server because of "sexual content" in their name. If it could be fixed... ;)
For the anti-spam feature, it could become important because of some players I saw recently, so if anyone has tips to make this mod/feature on the IRC-bot or in the server mods...

i know Katniss_Everdeen from skyblock server we just met in just 3 week ago.. pretty long. But yea.. I dont undersstand her name has no sexual content
TUP TU TA DI DIRP DERP TU TU TUT TUT TU TA DI DERP DERP :DD
LoL

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest Servers