screenshot_20160803_200256.png
screenshot_20160803_200256.png (184.88 KiB) Viewed 4490 times

Phiwari123

In-game: Phiwari123

Re: Xanadu Server

by Phiwari123 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 18:21

I see how it is!!!

Please note that this is just a prank!
Aber glaubt mir, dass man Glück und Zuversicht selbst in Zeiten der Dunkelheit zu finden vermag.
Man darf nur nicht vergessen, ein Licht leuchten zu lassen.
(A.P.W.B.D)

noob101

In-game: noob101

by noob101 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 18:54

Woot? No dating on this server!!! Gotta kick some ppl, it seems.

But I admit, nice ears, Ice... *wink wink, Red_Fox

Have fun, noob101

Bobr

by Bobr » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:09

Hi noob

ABJ

GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

by ABJ » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:55

noob101 read the text at the bottom. It says that Please note this is just a prank
Are you seriously telling me you fit your username?

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Thu Aug 04, 2016 16:08

ABJ wrote:noob101 read the text at the bottom. It says that Please note this is just a prank
Are you seriously telling me you fit your username?

that was added afterwards. the original post was dead serious =(0.o)=

ABJ

by ABJ » Thu Aug 04, 2016 18:17

lol nvm

Phiwari123

by Phiwari123 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 18:36

So, i had that crazy idea today that nearly made my entire computer collapse (i needed to restart it cause it froze)...
I tried to start to explore the whole server map to scan it with minetestmapper and have a nice 60000x60000 Pixels map picture of xanadu, just for fun... And yeah, the result is a bit disappointing cause it shows how "much" i explored today... (Note: I was walking around the map for many many hours)

Because scanning the whole map at once would have really caused problems, i decided to divide the map scanning process into 12 single files, all 10000x30000 pixels big. This covers the whole map. So, i did that and got pretty nice results.

This following miniature preview showing the whole Xanadu map (at least the parts that i explored) I created from the previews of the files, since when i tried to make a 60000 x 60000 pixels (30000 blocks in all directions from spawn) picture in my painting program and trying to insert the first bit my whole computer froze. So i do not recommend this to anyone.

Anyway, here are the (disappointing) results of my (hours of) exploration:

Just to show how giant those two tiny dots in the middle of the map are (yes, its spawn area and another neat area i found):

(Please note that this is not the full size of the image)

Kinda thought it would be nice to share this... (Also please note that the map i scanned only contained the things i explored in Xanadu today) To show how "much" one can explore in one day in Xanadu :P
Aber glaubt mir, dass man Glück und Zuversicht selbst in Zeiten der Dunkelheit zu finden vermag.
(A.P.W.B.D)

auouymous

GitHub: auouymous
IRC: air
In-game: auouymous

by auouymous » Thu Aug 04, 2016 18:46

Phiwari123 wrote:Image

I thought my monitor had some dirt spots and tried to rub them off. :)

Phiwari123

by Phiwari123 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 18:50

auouymous wrote:
Phiwari123 wrote:Image

I thought my monitor had some dirt spots and tried to rub them off. :)

Hahhahaha
(A.P.W.B.D)

mystik

GitHub: jasonjayr
In-game: mystik

by mystik » Thu Aug 04, 2016 19:02

I tried that (mapping the whole map in one pass) .... once :) IIRC It took out my computer, requiring a reboot.

The map on mt.jjayr.com site is also generated with the minetestmapper, but I'm doing it in chunks of 256x256, and then using imagemagick to stitch them into larger zoom levels

Zoom level '4' (if you look @ the url) is the base zoom level I'm using. I'm always mapping, and finding ways to accumulate more map data (working on a drone-like mapper to run while I sleep), so (IMHO) I may have the most complete map second to the server's source files -- though it may not be the most up-to-date in all areas.

Feel free to steal my tiles to stitch them into a larger image if you'd like :) I switched from storing the tile.png files in individual files, to storing them as blobs in a giant sqlite file to lighten the load on my filesystem.

Phiwari123 wrote:So, i had that crazy idea today that nearly made my entire computer collapse (i needed to restart it cause it froze)...
I tried to start to explore the whole server map to scan it with minetestmapper and have a nice 60000x60000 Pixels map picture of xanadu, just for fun... And yeah, the result is a bit disappointing cause it shows how "much" i explored today... (Note: I was walking around the map for many many hours)

Because scanning the whole map at once would have really caused problems, i decided to divide the map scanning process into 12 single files, all 10000x30000 pixels big. This covers the whole map. So, i did that and got pretty nice results.

twoelk

by twoelk » Thu Aug 04, 2016 19:09

some fun I had with the mapper a while ago

+ Large hightmap

note the mesa-like islands that remind of Tepui and the underwater riverbeds.

of course this is just a part of the map and an older one at that. Attempting to make a complete map of my journeys on Xanadu crashes my system as well.
Attachments
Map-server_98.166.90.48_30000-2016-07-09.jpg
Map-server_98.166.90.48_30000-2016-07-09.jpg (866.83 KiB) Viewed 4490 times

Xanthin

GitHub: Xanthin
IRC: Xanthin
In-game: Xanthin

by Xanthin » Thu Aug 04, 2016 19:39

The "fun with mapper topic" reminds me that I have not yet posted the timelapse from my project on the previous map.

Time: 15-07-03 to 16-03-17
(if I remember the process of protecting and surface fixing O.o)
Coords: 2000, -600 (at mystik's hosted map)
Attachments
xanazaar.gif
Xan'Azaar
xanazaar.gif (406.2 KiB) Viewed 4490 times

Phiwari123

by Phiwari123 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 19:53

That's simply amazing :D
(A.P.W.B.D)

ABJ

by ABJ » Thu Aug 04, 2016 19:56

So, again, what IS that?

noob101

In-game: noob101

by noob101 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 20:00

When I tried that trick - mapping the whole, uh, map... - on Linuxgaming server where you can download an actual copy of the db, I ran into the strange issue that this version of minetestmapper I found and used could only address 1GB of my RAM. Which it filled up pretty quickly, ofc, and then, after the tiny section it managed to squeeze in, it just bugged out. Fin.
But please do not ask me what version of the mapper that was. I have no idea any more.

Anyways, great maps!

Saddest thing though that I rarely ever got to see anything of Xanthins work on the old map. At least not much I remember :-(

CU, have fun, noob101

mystik

by mystik » Thu Aug 04, 2016 20:31

I think i have one more frame beyond what you captured:

https://mt.jjayr.com/mt/mt02-xanadu_old/map#4/2155/-601

That was one of last areas I mapped out before the great reset.

Xanthin wrote:The "fun with mapper topic" reminds me that I have not yet posted the timelapse from my project on the previous map.

Time: 15-07-03 to 16-03-17
(if I remember the process of protecting and surface fixing O.o)
Coords: 2000, -600 (at mystik's hosted map)

Rayxe

In-game: Rayxe

by Rayxe » Thu Aug 04, 2016 21:36

I got a Welcome committee. xD
Attachments
Untitled 2.png
Untitled 2.png (247.76 KiB) Viewed 4490 times

Glorfindel

GitHub: the1glorfindel
IRC: Glorfindel DoomWeaver
In-game: Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Thu Aug 04, 2016 22:17

I've not been on for quite some time, and now I'm getting the "no new players, sorry" message... :(

CuriousNoob

by CuriousNoob » Thu Aug 04, 2016 23:32

Glorfindel wrote:I've not been on for quite some time, and now I'm getting the "no new players, sorry" message... :(

Yep, same here when I just tried it again, ''no new players...'' :(

I'd deliberately not even attempted to log into Xanadu after this thread started showing there were problems there.

Reasoning it would be safer not to. Reasoning it would be sensible to wait until they'd fixed their issues and posted some news to that effect.

In the meantime been curiously investigating other servers, other worlds since then, but always keeping an eye on this thread for announcements of the all-clear.

I never saw any such announcements.

But I always try to remember that in software-projects (especially FOSS) even the brightest and best can be stopped in their tracks by insurmountable external factors or individual intellectual limits. And in Real Life all sorts of things can suddenly or gradually take priority.

The servers are just voluntary offerings by volunteers.

We can only speculate about what's actually happened with Xanadu.

Last time I signed in was May/June. [ '' jjj '' ]

Looks like I'll never get to materialise the novel ideas I had for my candy-stripe patch behind my bag-shop along the black path.

Still, bigger-picture, it's merely a game. C'est la vie.

Hours lost. Knowledge gained.

The blockworld community certainly has to thank TenPlus1 for his historical contributions.

Nevertheless sad, very sad. It used to be a good, engaging, well-run server.

But times change. We move on.

jjj

Phiwari123

by Phiwari123 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 09:28

This was a bit shocking. Walking around server and finding this :)

(A.P.W.B.D)

maikerumine

GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:35

Phiwari123 wrote:This was a bit shocking. Walking around server and finding this :)

Wow... I had the SAME exact thing happen on my server last night. I will post a video in a few. I rolled back mobs redo versions and that solved the spawn rates.

twoelk

by twoelk » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:31

so I can make a map of my complete Xanadu database local copy - although a scaled one. It's some 6400*7600 pixels so be warned.
+ "my version of a Xanadu map scaled 1:4"

(you may have to open the map in a tab of it's own or download it to view it in full resolution, allthough it is 1:4)

I made a backup of the old map and then used the same database with about a months worth of exploring the old map to record the new map. I never recreated the game as used for Xanadu and thus haven't explored the map offline.

So the stuff in the top right corner and the long detached walk south of spawn in the lower part of the map belong to the old Xanadu map.

Seeing that my shroom houses still exist in my copy of the map makes me wonder though wether I should try some experiments with my version of the map. Paramat had been talking about some map blending tools and OldCoder had likewise mentioned something along those lines. Anyways, on the top right you can see some sky-islands from old Xanadu. Stuff like that which needs no blending into the new mapgen could actually easily be added to some museum corner of the new map.
Attachments
Map-server_98.166.90.48_30000-2016-08-05T14.00.29.png
Map-server_98.166.90.48_30000-2016-08-05T14.00.29.png (866.6 KiB) Viewed 4490 times

Phiwari123

by Phiwari123 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:40

twoelk wrote:Seeing that my shroom houses still exist in my copy of the map makes me wonder though wether I should try some experiments with my version of the map. Paramat had been talking about some map blending tools and OldCoder had likewise mentioned something along those lines. Anyways, on the top right you can see some sky-islands from old Xanadu. Stuff like that which needs no blending into the new mapgen could actually easily be added to some museum corner of the new map.

That's an interesting idea! I also played not long ago on my copy of old Xanadu, nostalgic :)
(A.P.W.B.D)

mystik

by mystik » Fri Aug 05, 2016 14:20

Map ... "Blending" ? as in merging multiple maps?

That's what I've been doing with mt.jjayr.com -- I built a merging tool in perl, that appends to a master copy of the file, an keeps all 'patches' seperate. It snapshots the file on a weekly basis, so If I have to rewind, I can.

It turns out to be surprisingly simple, as long as you append files in chronological order. Everytime I run minetest, I nuke my local copy of the map, so it I only capture fresh data, then I upload it to the merge/mapping server, which triggers a map update.

JJB has a patch to MT I have to test out, but IIRC it will cause the local map save to be sent to redis, or intercept the db write somehow. Using that, I can actually stream the updates to the mapping server, and update it in a somewhat realtime fashion.

Of course, this is all just a roundabout way to get the data from the server :) If you operate the server, you can do all sorts of clever things with the map data to offer a realtime GIS of the world :)

twoelk wrote:so I can make a map of my complete Xanadu database local copy - although a scaled one. It's some 6400*7600 pixels so be warned.
+ "my version of a Xanadu map scaled 1:4"

(you may have to open the map in a tab of it's own or download it to view it in full resolution, allthough it is 1:4)

I made a backup of the old map and then used the same database with about a months worth of exploring the old map to record the new map. I never recreated the game as used for Xanadu and thus haven't explored the map offline.

So the stuff in the top right corner and the long detached walk south of spawn in the lower part of the map belong to the old Xanadu map.

Seeing that my shroom houses still exist in my copy of the map makes me wonder though wether I should try some experiments with my version of the map. Paramat had been talking about some map blending tools and OldCoder had likewise mentioned something along those lines. Anyways, on the top right you can see some sky-islands from old Xanadu. Stuff like that which needs no blending into the new mapgen could actually easily be added to some museum corner of the new map.

twoelk

by twoelk » Fri Aug 05, 2016 14:42

no I meant merging at the borders in a pleasing way so that you can merge two landscapes created in different ways such as different seeds or mapgens or costum built landscape and not have hard changes at the chunk borders such as gigantic orthographic cliffs or flat bottomed mountains hovering over other landscape of different origin.

alundra55

In-game: ultra

by alundra55 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 03:24

[expletive removed] i am banned
Last edited by kaeza on Sun Aug 07, 2016 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please avoid using bad language.

~Xhole

IRC: x
In-game: Xhole

by ~Xhole » Sat Aug 06, 2016 03:35

Whats your name? And you dont need to use language like that.
Being honest may not get you alot of friends but itll get you the right ones love and nodes ~X~

way

by way » Sat Aug 06, 2016 14:11

Acually, I have a similar problem. I used to frequent the server some time ago, but haven't been there since May, I think. Now I am getting the "no new players this time" message. I understand that there was some kind of a security problem, and this is a consequence. Is there something I can do to get back on the server?

Thanks,
way

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest Servers