Xanadu Server

Texan

In-game: Texan

Re: Xanadu Server

by Texan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 17:39

I have the most recent Minetest daily update. It seemed to fix what was wrong.

I have enabled my local map saving so that I can have hard copy of all loaded areas in Xanadu. :) I will miss current version.

I also heard of some kind of race for land on new map. What's going on there? Although, maybe I misunderstood.
-- Texan :)

kaadmy

GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 17:42

It seems that the owner of the Samson's world server might be coming back with a new server soon ;)
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Wed Mar 16, 2016 19:00

Texan wrote:I have the most recent Minetest daily update. It seemed to fix what was wrong.

I have enabled my local map saving so that I can have hard copy of all loaded areas in Xanadu. :) I will miss current version.

I also heard of some kind of race for land on new map. What's going on there? Although, maybe I misunderstood.

*updating minetest version*

i heard nothing about the new map. i don't even know what everyone voted for...
can you explain a little more?

EDIT: update complete - it works, yay! =(^.^)=

kaadmy wrote:It seems that the owner of the Samson's world server might be coming back with a new server soon ;)

when we steal players from other servers, we never give them back. :P
you have no chance against Xanadu.

Texan

by Texan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 20:38

That is all I saw for a split second. Didn't understand what was going on, that is why I asked.

firefox wrote:when we steal players from other servers, we never give them back :P

I agree. hehe

firefox

by firefox » Wed Mar 16, 2016 21:06

i guess he meant that you have to run before everyone slams their protectors on the map.
whoever finds a nice spot first can protect it.
if he really uses only a single protector at spawn, then whoever gets there first can reserve the spawn land and gain the privilege/burden to build the main roads.

Texan

by Texan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 21:18

I guess that makes better sense. haha
Thank you.

IceAgeComing

by IceAgeComing » Wed Mar 16, 2016 21:33

firefox wrote:i guess he meant that you have to run before everyone slams their protectors on the map.
whoever finds a nice spot first can protect it.
if he really uses only a single protector at spawn, then whoever gets there first can reserve the spawn land and gain the privilege/burden to build the main roads.

I wouldn't like that area.
Person who protects the land might not be interested in making road, maybe he wants to just build dirt house, play few days and move on to new server. :P
Also there would be big chance every path would end up having ugly messy cobble roads.

Which is quite unfair, since we have so many awesome pro builders who would love to take the job of building beautiful roads for the community.

firefox

by firefox » Wed Mar 16, 2016 21:38

i heard that there will be a voting to select who will build the spawn. (i vote for iska)
and i think we should do the same for the main roads.

IceAgeComing

by IceAgeComing » Wed Mar 16, 2016 21:39

firefox wrote:i heard that there will be a voting to select who will build the spawn. (i vote for iska)
and i think we should do the same for the main roads.

I absolutly agree.
I vote for Iska for building spawn too.

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Wed Mar 16, 2016 22:37

I vote for iska too (?)
Btw, what if iska doesn't wants to... it's a lot of work

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Wed Mar 16, 2016 23:15

I'm certain everyone will have a lot of fun on the new server, but I still find the whole thing terribly depressing. Xanadu is a community, but it is also a place with history. So many wonderful builds, so many long hours of work. I'm going to miss all of those wonderful and interesting places.
1114, 572, -442 : Sky City with Xanthin's Queen of Steam, Neon's millennium Falcon, xXRaizelXx's ice tower, and many other nice builds.
100, 0, 100 : Neon's Space Station
1952, 2, -1062 : xXRaizelXx's city
1625, 5, -486 : Xanthin's Carivansi
678, -13, -6 : firegryph_'s underwater city
460, 1, -7 : Neato's Football Stadium
-1020, 2, -447 : pixel art of Keira Knightley by Hal2
8965, 2, 19109 : neri2's dock beautiful canyon
-17422, 2,-21825 : Kelena's hockey rink
1231, 3, -158 : Big3's Megaplex
17492, 7,-20325 : neozerosv's sphinx
11028, 31, 16576 : ice castle
-811, 68, 327 : Skrote's house

just to list a few.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Klingon Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Neon's space station. I watched Mese wings glitter in the dark near the Ice Stargate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die.

Fixerol

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixerol » Wed Mar 16, 2016 23:24

make archived copy, available via torrent?

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Wed Mar 16, 2016 23:40

Fixerol is right, I bet some people will seed.

Zen

by Zen » Thu Mar 17, 2016 03:06

Hm.

So do all the servers have to restart over to take advantage of the new features in the 4.14 release in a few days?
Last edited by Zen on Sat Mar 26, 2016 02:29, edited 1 time in total.

firefox

by firefox » Thu Mar 17, 2016 07:18

Dragonop wrote:I vote for iska too (?)
Btw, what if iska doesn't wants to... it's a lot of work

then we just make him want to do it :P
Kilarin wrote:All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die.

there are methods to save those moments. ;)
keeping everything also means keeping the griefed, abandoned areas and the map corruption.
i once lost everything because of the map corruption ...
Zen wrote:So do all the servers have to restart over to take advantage of the new features in the 4.14 release in a few days?

no idea. but the new mapgen is completely different.
i guess the main reason here is the data corruption in the save files, so other servers who didn't have that problem could keep their maps.

auouymous

GitHub: auouymous
IRC: air
In-game: auouymous

by auouymous » Thu Mar 17, 2016 08:02

If player files don't get imported to new map, will passwords at least be preserved for players? Or will there also be players grabbing up other player's names?

Neon

In-game: Neon

by Neon » Sun Mar 20, 2016 00:59

Unlikely, auouymous.
With the last map wipe, no player information was kept (which means those people trying to store things up in their bags are out of luck). This also means that each person will have to log in with a fresh password to "lock in" their username for their exclusive future use.

It would be possible for someone else to get your username (if they are faster than you are in logging in the first time.) As a server admin, I would not attempt to arbitrate the situations where that happened, because it would be very difficult to establish who "owns" a given username and that the person raising the stink is really the right person. Therefore the proper fix for this situation is to:
A) Be the first person to log in with that username
B) Failing that, find a different username
C) Allow the "imposter" establish themselves as the imposter because their building style is not the same as your (presumably well known) building style and their builds are not at the same quality as yours. The community will recognize your new username and honor you for it, if the community would have recognized builds with your (previous) username on them.

I would like to re-iterate (for our younger builders) that moaning or complaining about lost usernames are not likely to get much nice, positive attention. It is likely to be treated like much of the other moaning and complaining is treated by people who come to the server to have fun. Don't be someone who complains, or you might get more to complain about.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Sun Mar 20, 2016 01:19

Much as I hate the wipe, since it's going to happen, I'll give my advice. And that would be for there to be a period of at least several days to a week when Shinjin and Ten allow only a preselected group of builders access to protect areas where spawn and the main roads will be. Actual building can be done once everyone else arrives on the server.

While we are discussing roads, I have a question about how they will work with the new protectors. It will certainly be MUCH easier to protect a large area when protectors have a radius of 10 instead of 5 nodes. BUT, it's going to make roads a bit impractical isn't it? If you place your protectors in the middle of the road, and make your road even a whopping 9 nodes wide, it will still be 6 nodes past the curb before anyone can build. That's pretty far. How should we deal with roads and the new protector width?

auouymous

by auouymous » Sun Mar 20, 2016 02:29

Kilarin wrote:While we are discussing roads, I have a question about how they will work with the new protectors. It will certainly be MUCH easier to protect a large area when protectors have a radius of 10 instead of 5 nodes. BUT, it's going to make roads a bit impractical isn't it? If you place your protectors in the middle of the road, and make your road even a whopping 9 nodes wide, it will still be 6 nodes past the curb before anyone can build. That's pretty far. How should we deal with roads and the new protector width?

It would be easy to create small(5) and large(10) radius protectors in the mod. The recipe for large protector could use 8 small protectors since it covers 8 times the area. Could also use fewer than 8 if it should be cheaper, but require at least 2 smalls.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Sun Mar 20, 2016 02:40

auouymous wrote:It would be easy to create small(5) and large(10) radius protectors in the mod. The recipe for large protector could use 8 small protectors since it covers 8 times the area. Could also use fewer than 8 if it should be cheaper, but require at least 2 smalls.

I had suggested different sized protectors once before, and Ten pointed out to me that it would slow down the mod. Currently the protector mod must check to see if a node is within a standard preset distance (10 in this case) of any existing protector. If we add, say, one small protector with a radius of 3, then we now have to have TWO lists of protectors, and do TWO checks to see if the node is within a distance of 3 from a protector on the small list, and if not, THEN we have to check if it is within a distance of 10 from a large protector. thereby doubling the number of checks required for every interaction with a node on the server.

if that doubling would not be a major problem, then having a smaller protector would be GREAT. But if not, I don't know if adding lag is likely to be accepted.

auouymous

by auouymous » Sun Mar 20, 2016 03:51

Kilarin wrote:I had suggested different sized protectors once before, and Ten pointed out to me that it would slow down the mod. Currently the protector mod must check to see if a node is within a standard preset distance (10 in this case) of any existing protector. If we add, say, one small protector with a radius of 3, then we now have to have TWO lists of protectors, and do TWO checks to see if the node is within a distance of 3 from a protector on the small list, and if not, THEN we have to check if it is within a distance of 10 from a large protector. thereby doubling the number of checks required for every interaction with a node on the server.

That's not entirely true. The code must check 9261 blocks for radius 10 but only 343 blocks for radius 3. If the code were to perform the radius 3 test first and found a small or large protector, it would eliminate the need to perform the more costly radius 10 test. If no protector is found in the radius 3 test it would only increase the work by 4%, no where near double. A radius 5 protector would check 1331 blocks and adding a radius 3 check on top of that would be a 26% increase in work, still not double but enough to be noticable. But with radius 10 protectors the radius 3 protector adds almost nothing and has the potential to boost performance.

A player digging in the wild would cause both checks to happen. A player building a road with small protectors would only cause the much faster radius 3 checks. A player building inside their radius 10 protected base would cause both checks unless within 3 blocks from the protector. So in most cases both checks would happen. But any action that only triggers the radius 3 check would be 27 times faster!

The new radius 10 checks are 7 times slower than the old radius 5 checks. In the worst case, adding on a second radius 3 check would only make it a measly 7.2 times slower. ;)

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Sun Mar 20, 2016 04:00

auouymous wrote:The new radius 10 checks are 7 times slower than the old radius 5 checks. In the worst case, adding on a second radius 3 check would only make it a measly 7.2 times slower. ;)

Well, that analysis sounds very promising!

auouymous

by auouymous » Sun Mar 20, 2016 04:06

Kilarin wrote:Well, that analysis sounds very promising!

The new map being 7 times slower (with or without radius 3 protectors) doesn't sound promising...

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Sun Mar 20, 2016 04:39

I must have misunderstood how the protector mod worked. I assumed there was a list/database of protectors which was searched for protectors near to a node. I guess I need to pull the code and dig through it sometime.

auouymous

by auouymous » Sun Mar 20, 2016 06:04

Kilarin wrote:I must have misunderstood how the protector mod worked. I assumed there was a list/database of protectors which was searched for protectors near to a node. I guess I need to pull the code and dig through it sometime.

Storing all loaded protectors in an octree would probably be faster than checking 9200 blocks, but it would require a little bit of memory and some overhead when loading and unloading areas. Each action would result in 1-20 lookups into the octree and return 0-8 lists of protectors in a 32x32x32 area around the target block. The code then iterates the lists and checks if each protector is in range of the block, based on the given protector's radius.

In the wild, the check would abort before doing 13 lookups and nothing else would need to be done. When near any protectors, it would do all 20 lookups and then iterate over what it found.

This assumes a -32k to +32k world, for worlds with -65k to +65k (max size of minetest worlds) it requires one additional lookup.

--

A flat list of protectors would also use memory (but not as much as an octree, whch isn't much more) and also have overhead when loading and unloading areas. Every action would need to iterate over the entire list (only once, no matter how many sizes of protectors) and do the same range check as the octree would do, but the octree only does the range check for the blocks in the 32x32x32 area around the target block, the flat list does it for all blocks in the list. If only a few protectors were visible by all players then a flat list would be faster than an octree. But the octree becomes much faster once the number of visible protectors increases.

firefox

by firefox » Sun Mar 20, 2016 18:01

auouymous wrote:A flat list of protectors would also use memory (but not as much as an octree, whch isn't much more) and also have overhead when loading and unloading areas. Every action would need to iterate over the entire list (only once, no matter how many sizes of protectors) and do the same range check as the octree would do, but the octree only does the range check for the blocks in the 32x32x32 area around the target block, the flat list does it for all blocks in the list. If only a few protectors were visible by all players then a flat list would be faster than an octree. But the octree becomes much faster once the number of visible protectors increases.

ist it possible to use both methods?
so that the large protectors (where there should be less visible pieces around) use the old method,
and the small protectors (where there would be many) use the faster octree method.
or does that create conflicts when both protector types are used in one area?

auouymous

by auouymous » Sun Mar 20, 2016 23:26

firefox wrote:ist it possible to use both methods?
so that the large protectors (where there should be less visible pieces around) use the old method,
and the small protectors (where there would be many) use the faster octree method.
or does that create conflicts when both protector types are used in one area?

The octree has the same overhead if used for one or both. The old (current) method gets magnitudes slower with each increase of the protector radius. If the overhead for octree is acceptable, it should be used for all protector sizes, the whole point of the octree is to speed up the very slow radius 10 checks.

A 64bit server with 32 players each in a different area and each player able to see 1000 protectors in their area would require about 3MB of memory on the server.

IceAgeComing

by IceAgeComing » Mon Mar 21, 2016 18:02

Made some new friends today. :D
And yes, they were naturally spawned.

neri2

by neri2 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 02:25

Gee! And I thought booneh was the wrong crowd to hang wiff chu got us beat there iceypop xD

auouymous

by auouymous » Tue Mar 22, 2016 02:46

It appears that minetest might not have the ability to notify the mod when a node is loaded into memory. This means the octree can't be done. :(

I added large and small protectors to the mod at http://mt.qzx.com/protector/ and did some benchmarks. But the optimization of scanning radius 3 first and then only scanning radius 10 if no radius 3 protectors where found can't be done because a radius 10 might prohibit the player even though the radius 3 allowed it.

These are average times on my machine in microseconds for comparison purposes only. "Old" is the current mod on Xanadu with only one size protector, "new" is the mod with large and small protectors.

Small radius 3 protectors don't matter when digging, placing or accessing nodes, only the size of the largest protector.

- dig/place/access with radius 5: old=80 new=90
- dig/place/access with radius 10: old=450 new=500

So having small and large protectors will be about 11% slower.

- placing a small radius 3 protector: new=1000
- placing a radius 5 protector: old=450
- placing a radius 10 protector: old=3100 new=3100

Placing a large protector on either mod is same speed, about 7 times slower than placing a radius 5 protector on current Xanadu map. But placing the small protector would only be 2 times slower. Good reason to make large protectors cost more to craft, if implemented.

If wanted, just drop the two files into the current mod and maybe add new textures for small protectors.

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest Servers