[0.4.8] 0gb.us's basic server

ungali

IRC: ungali
In-game: ungali

by ungali » Thu Mar 21, 2013 05:08

I unclaimed the city. (I claimed it earlier to stop the griefing.) You should talk to kus about it.
Minetest needs better music. And puppies.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:32

0gb.us wrote:
ungali wrote:til you find a griefing "solution"

The solution is that people need to block damages using land claims. The problem comes in when people insist upon not using claims, such as in the new city above the spawn area.

Not the best place for a town .... It's casting a nasty shadow, and with it unclaimed, it makes the perfect spot to dump water and lava from ....

If you want, we can shut the server off anyway. It might give me time to fix the disconnection issues we've been having.

If not, I'll claim the area myself, and put up a defensive ceiling to block the downpour.

I request that this claim does go into effect. Feel free to break my claims, but please share back the chunks you unclaimed especially if I built the road within them.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Thu Mar 21, 2013 16:19

There's nothing particularly important getting flooded, it's just a path that dead-ends into the water. I hate to suggest this, but maybe it's time we set up a spawn room. Or a spawn structure, anyway, with a raised floor and a roof. I don't know what to call it, but for an example of what I mean, go to the spawn point at vanessae.min.bz:30000. While it would mean giving up our spawn range that adds variance, it would make the spawn point unfloodable, while still having most of the open-air feel to it.

I don't think we should copy VanessaE's spawn point completely, but draw inspiration from it, and use the basic idea, using other materials. I'm thinking perhaps clay and desert stone would be good material choices. Maybe mese, or something. I don't know, I'll figure it out and build it.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 16:43

0gb.us wrote:There's nothing particularly important getting flooded, it's just a path that dead-ends into the water. I hate to suggest this, but maybe it's time we set up a spawn room. Or a spawn structure, anyway, with a raised floor and a roof. I don't know what to call it, but for an example of what I mean, go to the spawn point at vanessae.min.bz:30000. While it would mean giving up our spawn range that adds variance, it would make the spawn point unfloodable, while still having most of the open-air feel to it.

I don't think we should copy VanessaE's spawn point completely, but draw inspiration from it, and use the basic idea, using other materials. I'm thinking perhaps clay and desert stone would be good material choices. Maybe mese, or something. I don't know, I'll figure it out and build it.

I'll start looking for land and prepare to build one.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 16:51

I'm proposing a radical thing to clean up the spawn area and get rid of abandoned claims: A referendum to unclaim abandoned and/or unused chunks in spawn to create a better spawn city. Each chunk should be voted on one-by-one, with the owner being allowed to cast a vote if present.

Whether or not we do this, I feel as if spawn should be rejuvenated.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Thu Mar 21, 2013 17:00

rarkenin wrote:I'm proposing a radical thing to clean up the spawn area and get rid of abandoned claims: A referendum to unclaim abandoned and/or unused chunks in spawn to create a better spawn city. Each chunk should be voted on one-by-one, with the owner being allowed to cast a vote if present.

The whole point of claims is that they can't be be broken by other players. People who joined the server early enough to make claims in the spawn area shouldn't be penalized. Claims made by players who still play here shouldn't be revoked. The ones made by people who left us are debatable though. Perhaps some old claims made by former players should be revoked, but only if absolutely necessary.

EDIT: In other words, if the claim owner is present, the claim shouldn't be revoked.
Last edited by 0gb.us on Thu Mar 21, 2013 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 17:02

0gb.us wrote:
rarkenin wrote:I'm proposing a radical thing to clean up the spawn area and get rid of abandoned claims: A referendum to unclaim abandoned and/or unused chunks in spawn to create a better spawn city. Each chunk should be voted on one-by-one, with the owner being allowed to cast a vote if present.

The whole point of claims is that they can't be be broken by other players. People who joined the server early enough to make claims in the spawn area shouldn't be penalized. Claims made by players who still play here shouldn't be revoked. The ones made by people who left us are debatable though. Perhaps some old claims made by former players should be revoked, but only if absolutely necessary.

EDIT: In other words, if the claim owner is present, the claim shouldn't be revoked.

That does seem a bit better. But, how do you define "players who still play here"? What is the cutoff point? Also, "absolutely necessary"?

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Thu Mar 21, 2013 17:09

rarkenin wrote:That does seem a bit better. But, how do you define "players who still play here"? What is the cutoff point? Also, "absolutely necessary"?

It's hard to define a cutoff point, especially since we have no way to know when they last logged in. I'm not sure what to do about that yet.

By absolutely necessary, I mean in many cases, a better idea than tearing down old structures to build new ones is to just build elsewhere. The map is pretty big, and apparently the 4GiB issue doesn't apply to us. I've been planning to set up a new spawn city anyway, I just haven't had time. More and more keeps being dumped on my plate, so I've been rather busy. But when I get a moment, I already have a nice beach picked out. That will give us a completely fresh start, with no need to take down historic structures.

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Thu Mar 21, 2013 18:21

0gb: feel free to copy my spawn building directly if you want. :-)
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Thu Mar 21, 2013 18:29

VanessaE wrote:gb: feel free to copy my spawn building directly if you want. :-)

Thank you very much, but I'd like to make it at least a little original. I already drew up a plan, that looks sort of like one of those old Greek column buildings. The basic idea being a ceiling and raised floor to keep the liquids out, and supports in the corners so it doesn't look silly with a floating ceiling.

Besides, you use rainbows. The chance of me finding enough rainbows for me to copy your spawn point directly, even with help, is pretty slim. To the best on my knowledge, only one cat has been found so far.

johnwedd

by johnwedd » Fri Mar 22, 2013 04:56

i could design a spawn area, with the greek shtickt. I'm actually pretty good at building things

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Fri Mar 22, 2013 05:40

The design I already came up with looked sort of Greek, but that doesn't mean Greek is the only option (or was even the goal).

You are a lot better at designing / building things than me though, so if you want to come up with a design, that would be great. Requirement: It must be unfloodable. It would also be preferable if there isn't a singular point of entry that can be easily blocked off with gravel or something. We had that issue on the first server I played on, and it was a pain for new player who didn't know there was a /go command that they could use to escape. Then there's the fact that we don't have such a command on this server.
Last edited by 0gb.us on Fri Mar 22, 2013 05:40, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:15

what i think you should do is have a main building and have multiple tunnels leading out. also make a big roof and maybe add to your protct mod a way to set the spawn and have the node not let and gravel water or lava fall from the outside in.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Fri Mar 22, 2013 15:47

jojoa1997 wrote:what i think you should do is have a main building and have multiple tunnels leading out. also make a big roof and maybe add to your protct mod a way to set the spawn and have the node not let and gravel water or lava fall from the outside in.

Spawn is set using one of the built-in scripts. Plugins that add a secondary way to set the spawn point and override the default way only cause incompatibilities with other plugins. Nothing good comes of it.

As far as gravel protection, if I knew how to block falling gravel, I'd block it in all claims, not just the spawn area. Falling gravel lacks an owner though, so there's no way to see if it was dropped by the owner of the claim or by someone else.

The ideas for the structure of the building may or may not be what Johnwedd has in mind, I'm not sure.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 00:51

could I have the image file for the oerkii player image?
Don't ever save anything as a JPEG.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Sat Mar 23, 2013 01:03

12Me21 wrote:could I have the image file for the oerkii player image?

Th oerkii image has no back. If you want, I can make you an oekii with two fronts, but that's the best I can do.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 01:10

no, I mean the 3d one on the server

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Sat Mar 23, 2013 01:24

You want a copy of the image? It can be found at https://raw.github.com/0gb-us/0gb.us_game/master/0gb.us_game/mods/added/skins/textures/character_5.png

Or did you want that skin applied to you? If so, hit "i" on the keyboard, then click the "Skins" button in your inventory.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 14:09

thanks

0gb.us wrote:Or did you want that skin applied to you? If so, hit "i" on the keyboard, then click the "Skins" button in your inventory.
I already am using it.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Sat Mar 23, 2013 16:37

All (er, most) code and images we use are available for download at https://github.com/0gb-us/0gb.us_game . Also, feel free to submit pull requests.

We seem to be having technical issues with the server, and this can no longer be a 24/7 server. It keeps going down, because it keeps refusing to talk to its NIC (or at least that appears to be the issue). Rebooting fixes the problem (temporarily), but I can't access the server at all times of the night to reboot it. I'd try rebooting it remotely, but when it malfunctions and needs a reboot, it's not talking to its NIC, and therefore can't be reached.

Normally it can be safely shut down. In this case, all we suffer is a little down time. But this last time, it refused to shut down, and I had to FORCE it to shut down. This time, it didn't corrupt the map, but forcing a shut down has corrupted the map in the past. We have a daily backup, but be warned that any recent changes may now be "rolled back" at any time. If that happens, it's not that anyone did anything wrong, it's just that we had to revert to a backup copy from before your changes.

I'm truly sorry, but that is the current state of the server, and I don't have the power to do anything about it.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 17:40

0gb.us wrote:All (er, most) code and images we use are available for download at https://github.com/0gb-us/0gb.us_game . Also, feel free to submit pull requests.

We seem to be having technical issues with the server, and this can no longer be a 24/7 server. It keeps going down, because it keeps refusing to talk to its NIC (or at least that appears to be the issue). Rebooting fixes the problem (temporarily), but I can't access the server at all times of the night to reboot it. I'd try rebooting it remotely, but when it malfunctions and needs a reboot, it's not talking to its NIC, and therefore can't be reached.

Normally it can be safely shut down. In this case, all we suffer is a little down time. But this last time, it refused to shut down, and I had to FORCE it to shut down. This time, it didn't corrupt the map, but forcing a shut down has corrupted the map in the past. We have a daily backup, but be warned that any recent changes may now be "rolled back" at any time. If that happens, it's not that anyone did anything wrong, it's just that we had to revert to a backup copy from before your changes.

I'm truly sorry, but that is the current state of the server, and I don't have the power to do anything about it.
0gb remember when you hosted the hungry_games server a while back. and auto-restart script might look nice now.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Sat Mar 23, 2013 18:10

jojoa1997 wrote:gb remember when you hosted the hungry_games server a while back. and auto-restart script might look nice now.

The auto-restart script restarts Minetest, it doesn't restart the operating system or NIC, which is what needs to be restarted this time.

Too bad, too.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 18:46

0gb.us wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:gb remember when you hosted the hungry_games server a while back. and auto-restart script might look nice now.

The auto-restart script restarts Minetest, it doesn't restart the operating system or NIC, which is what needs to be restarted this time.

Too bad, too.

What about implementing heartbeat?

Edit: Try installing watchdog using apt. You can then configure it to reboot if it cannot ping certain IPs(like your router or Google).

Or take a look at http://superuser.com/a/378550/133850.

You can change the last line to
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
*/5 * * * * /path/to/script/pingRouterCheckReboot.sh
to run every 5 minutes.
Last edited by rarkenin on Sat Mar 23, 2013 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Sat Mar 23, 2013 18:49

rarkenin wrote:What about implementing heartbeat?

I don't know what that is, but knowing you, it sounds promising. Does it monitor the connection, and restart the computer if it is lost? Because unless we can figure out how to get it to play nicely with its own NIC, that's probably about the only thing that will work.

EDIT: Information from Google suggests it may be able to do just that. I can turn the monitoring back at itself, by having it monitor the computer at its own LAN IP address. But I don't know what to do from there, and am too busy to really experiment for a while.
Last edited by 0gb.us on Sat Mar 23, 2013 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 18:55

Wait, I edited my post. Check the edits and use either the script I linked, or watchdog with instructions from http://linux.die.net/man/5/watchdog.conf and http://linux.die.net/man/8/watchdog.
Last edited by rarkenin on Sat Mar 23, 2013 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 20:40

are we allowed to get a different texture for our character? because if we are, I want this: http://i47.tinypic.com/2cp6jo0.png

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Sat Mar 23, 2013 21:15

12Me21 wrote:are we allowed to get a different texture for our character? because if we are, I want this: http://i47.tinypic.com/2cp6jo0.png

Yeah, custom skins are accepted.

A word of warning though: that skin lacks a transparent background. The white background it has will cause you to have a white head. You can edit the skin and resubmit it, or I can apply it to you as is, and you can see what I mean about the white head. It's up to you.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 01:25

I will fix it

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Sun Mar 24, 2013 03:32

0gb: a warning. Someone on my server has attempted to impersonate you, requesting ban privilege without even having interact. They were using the nickname "0bg_us" (note the transposed lettering).
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 04:15

VanessaE wrote:gb: a warning. Someone on my server has attempted to impersonate you, requesting ban privilege without even having interact. They were using the nickname "0bg_us" (note the transposed lettering).
same thing was happening on his server. I think someone might have impersonated you. It was 5 hours ago around.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest Servers