Some serious questions from a MC server owner

KzoneDD

Re: Some serious questions from a MC server owner

by KzoneDD » Sat Feb 20, 2016 00:41

Hi all,

Quick update: been hellishly busy, but guess what: 50Mbps, yes.. up and down. (Actually, I regularly get 60+ in speedtests) The i3 looks like a fire hazard though :( Think the GPU is semi-fried. Need to find time to swap it out and test.

But I'm testing on an old laptop, half the recommended specs, but three/four players do fine.

Once I feel I'm ready, I'll let you know what I'm going live with. :)

noob101

In-game: noob101

by noob101 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 16:56

It may be just a small side note, but please consider:

Providers like German Telekom still do NOT provide static IP ootb, even for their VDSL 50Mbit I have. I get a new IP in under 30 seconds by a simple reconnect. IP-banning me would be useless, you'd have to ban all of Germany or Europe to get rid of me xD

Not that I am abusing this, never have and also have no intention to ever do. But just keep that on your screens. Thank you.

Have fun, noob101

KzoneDD

by KzoneDD » Wed Mar 02, 2016 14:19

I only want to ban Germans from my local supermarket; whenever the shops are closed in Germany they come across the border here and crowd the place. :-P

KzoneDD

by KzoneDD » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:54

So,

How does
-AMD A-Series A4 4000 2x 3.0 GHZ (Dual-Core)
-4GB RAM

sound? Old box was DOA, pretty much. Picked this one up cheap. Can probably add RAM, will have to peek inside once it arrives. Got 16 Gigs of DDR3 collecting dust anyways.

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:19

KzoneDD wrote:So,

How does
-AMD A-Series A4 4000 2x 3.0 GHZ (Dual-Core)
-4GB RAM

sound? Old box was DOA, pretty much. Picked this one up cheap. Can probably add RAM, will have to peek inside once it arrives. Got 16 Gigs of DDR3 collecting dust anyways.

The RAM should be enough, but that CPU is very weak, especially in single-thread performance. You basically have a CPU with only one floating-point unit!

You may want to add this in minetest.conf, which will make ticks happen less often (5 TPS instead of the default 10 TPS):

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
dedicated_server_step = 0.5

KzoneDD

by KzoneDD » Thu Jul 14, 2016 09:56

Thanks! :)

Will it help or hinder to assign Minetest to one core?

I picked this unit up very cheap, essentially new cheaper than comparable units refurb. As you can see from the thread, I've been toying with this idea a long time, and this just seems like a good next step, before I just keep thinking and forget to actually do. :)

Since the business is expanding, I'll be adding more iron anyways later. If load justifies it, I can assign this box to some trivial network task and upgrade. But right now, it's a step up from the mini laptop. ;-)

KzoneDD

by KzoneDD » Sat Jan 07, 2017 01:30

george wrote:Do you actually have 50Mbps UP? If so, everything else will be just fine, at least in the near future. What do I mean by that? Lets compare to Liberty Land.

It's been a long time. (insert rant about dodgy landlords, having to move in a hurry, screwups screwing up with the internet connectivity, hassle selling a house cross-country, work and some family issues)

The server is nearly ready to go live.

Actually, the server *is* ready, I just want to fix the associated website first, because people are going to have to log in on the website to get access to the server, as a way of grief-deterrent.

(Essentially: I set up a website from the same domain as the server. Looking outside-in it's on the same server -bla bla, network stuff, bla bla- and it validates by e-mail your login, and does not accept free e-mail providers, so to a fairly high degree we know logins are tied to a single individual, and creating throw-away accounts becomes a hassle. If a login is validated, it writes to the whitelist file. Pretty simple, given the right CMS and plugins, and some simple PHP.)

And I'm happy to say the upshot of the above is that I moved into the coverage area of a better fiber company, and I now actually have 1000 Mbps up.

Previous

Return to Minetest Servers