[OFFLINE] [0.4.13] GunshipPenguin's PvE server

GunshipPenguin

GitHub: GunshipPenguin
IRC: GunshipPenguin
In-game: GunshipPenguin

[OFFLINE] [0.4.13] GunshipPenguin's PvE server

by GunshipPenguin » Sat Nov 22, 2014 07:13

This is a PvE (Player versus Environment) server hosted in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

My goal with this server is to create a fun survival environment that has enough mods to make things fun, but not enough to bog down the game and make things confusing.

The map of this server will be reset with each new release of the minetest engine or every few months, depending on how I see fit.

This server brings itself down automatically every 6 hours for about 3-4 minutes to back up the map.

Installed Mods:
    -Mobs
      tenplus1's Mobs mod. Adds various passive and agressive mobs to the game.
    -Sprint
      My sprint mod. Press e to sprint and move 50% faster than your normal walking speed. Your stamina will go down when sprinting, and is represented by the green arrows above your health statbar.
    -Advanced Area Protection
      Self protection is enabled. Each player may protect up to four areas with a maximum size of 128x128x128 per area.
    -serveressentials
    -3d Armor Modpack
    -worldedit
    -locked_sign

Other tweaks and changes:

-movement_speed_walk = 5
      Slightly faster walk speed
    -Fire and TNT are disabled

Default Privs:

-Interact
    -Shout
    -Home
    -Spawn

Rules:
    Rule #1: Do not ask for free stuff. This includes items and extra privs. Repeated asking/nagging will result in a mute.
    Rule #2: Do not spam the chat. Chat spammers are automatically kicked.
    Rule #3: Swearing is allowed, but try to keep the swearing to a minimum.
    Rule #4: While this is not a strictly English only server, try to speak English whenever possible.
    Rule #5: Treat others on the server the way that you would want to be treated.
    Rule #6: Using modified clients to grief or break any of the previous rules will result in a permanent ban.

gunshippenguin.com:30000

Screenshot of the spawn area.
Last edited by GunshipPenguin on Mon May 23, 2016 02:07, edited 23 times in total.

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

Re: [0.4.10] GunshipPenguin's PvE server

by ExeterDad » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:51

Have fun with it and good luck :)
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sat Nov 22, 2014 14:36

Your choice of mods is good but the server settings could be better.
Please increase the setting max_simultaneous_block_sends_server_total to something like 100 and set max_block_send_distance to 5.
Currently, it takes minutes until a block is loaded. This problem should be solved with the settings above.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Sat Nov 22, 2014 20:28

Krock wrote:Your choice of mods is good but the server settings could be better.
Please increase the setting max_simultaneous_block_sends_server_total to something like 100 and set max_block_send_distance to 5.
Currently, it takes minutes until a block is loaded. This problem should be solved with the settings above.

Thanks for the advice. I changed those values in my minetest.config.

srifqi

GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Sun Nov 23, 2014 08:03

+1

Please use mgv6 (it's faster)
I'm from Indonesia! Saya dari Indonesia!
Terjemahkan Minetest!
Mods by me. Modifikasi oleh saya.

Pronounce my nick as in: es-rifqi (IPA: /es rifˈki/)

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Sun Nov 23, 2014 09:50

srifqi wrote:+1

That would mean resetting the whole world (if you don't want to see sudden cuts in the world)…

mg is fine, a Lua mapgen gives you full control over what is generated, without having to edit the C++ code.

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 19:50

Calinou wrote:

That would mean resetting the whole world (if you don't want to see sudden cuts in the world)…

mg is fine, a Lua mapgen gives you full control over what is generated, without having to edit the C++ code.

I did switch to mgv6 last night. I do have a copy of the old mg world though. So if this map dosen't work out or something, I can switch back to the old mg world.

Nemo

In-game: Nemo

by Nemo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 21:18

I have been really enjoying playing on the server. I love the survival aspect. Went mining for a bit, when I decided I wanted to build a house I tried protecting an area but the server said that self protects weren't allowed or I didn't have the needed privilege.

So, a couple of suggestions:
1: Allow self-protects.
2: Add a /spawn command.
3. And add some sort of crafting guide.

Zeno Effect

In-game: Zeno_Effect

by Zeno Effect » Tue Nov 25, 2014 22:52

Hi, I can not connect to the sever. I passed out and left the game on by mistake and when I woke up everything was frozen. I logged out and tried to log back in to see if that would fix it but now it just stays at connecting to server. Is the sever down or am I banned for something?

Nemo

In-game: Nemo

by Nemo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 23:07

Zeno Effect wrote:Hi, I can not connect to the sever. I passed out and left the game on by mistake and when I woke up everything was frozen. I logged out and tried to log back in to see if that would fix it but now it just stays at connecting to server. Is the sever down or am I banned for something?

It's not just you. I can't join either. The server is down.

Zeno Effect

by Zeno Effect » Tue Nov 25, 2014 23:09

Nemo wrote:
Zeno Effect wrote:Hi, I can not connect to the sever. I passed out and left the game on by mistake and when I woke up everything was frozen. I logged out and tried to log back in to see if that would fix it but now it just stays at connecting to server. Is the sever down or am I banned for something?

Thanks for letting me know. For a while I thought I was banned for something.

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Wed Nov 26, 2014 01:37

Nemo wrote:

Sorry about that, the server process died for some reason. It should be working now.

Also, I added a /spawn command.

Zeno Effect

by Zeno Effect » Wed Nov 26, 2014 03:07

GunshipPenguin wrote:Sorry about that, the server process died for some reason. It should be working now.

Also, I added a /spawn command.

All cool. Thank you for all your work with making a fun and awesome place to play minetest! :D

MrNomNom111

GitHub: Modjular

by MrNomNom111 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 21:11

Sorry, I'm really new to all of this, but to connect, do I have to have all the mods you listed, installed? Or does modding work akin to plugins on MC servers? As in, the only thing actually being manipulated is the server side?

Excited to join soon.

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Sat Dec 06, 2014 00:06

Mods are run on the server only, you will experiance the result of the changed behavior by simply joining :)
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Tue Dec 09, 2014 20:49

MrNomNom111 wrote:Sorry, I'm really new to all of this, but to connect, do I have to have all the mods you listed, installed? Or does modding work akin to plugins on MC servers? As in, the only thing actually being manipulated is the server side?

Excited to join soon.

ExterDad beat me to it. If a mod is run on a server, no work on your part is needed in order to use that mod.

Looking forward to seeing you on the server.

jadedtest

IRC: jadedtest
In-game: jadedtest

by jadedtest » Sat Dec 13, 2014 01:22

Is the server down, or some such thing to that effect?
My client is in an endless "Connecting to server..." loop, regardless of how long I leave it open.
EDIT: Nevermind, it works now. I'm not sure if the server was down for a while, or if it was something on my end. Probably my end. This is a fantastic server! Nice mod combination, too.
Server: jadedmeta.net with port 7357
Always nice to recieve mail.
"Keep the past, for all intents and purposes, where it is." ~Kyouma

GunshipPenguin

Re: [0.4.11] GunshipPenguin's PvE server

by GunshipPenguin » Wed Dec 31, 2014 06:33

Server is now running Minetest 0.4.11. I've also switched the mobs mod, removed the armour mod (It seemed to be causing the server to crash) and switched to a clean new map. You can also now protect up to two areas of a maximum size of 32x32x64 with the areas mod.
From now on, I think I'll reset the map every new release of Minetest, or at some other regular interval (every few months or so) to keep things fresh.

Neizi

by Neizi » Thu Jan 08, 2015 04:33

hey! i was playing on your server for about an hour, but then i disconnected and now i seem to be on a "connecting to server" loop. has something exploded?
edit: an hour later and its still down :(

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 06:14

Neizi wrote:hey! i was playing on your server for about an hour, but then i disconnected and now i seem to be on a "connecting to server" loop. has something exploded?

From time to time the server process dies. Can't quite figure out why, I try to restart it asap if I notice. It should be up and running now.

Neizi

by Neizi » Thu Jan 08, 2015 07:41

GunshipPenguin wrote:
Neizi wrote:hey! i was playing on your server for about an hour, but then i disconnected and now i seem to be on a "connecting to server" loop. has something exploded?

From time to time the server process dies. Can't quite figure out why, I try to restart it asap if I notice. It should be up and running now.

i dont think ill be playing this server untill the areas mod is fixed. sorry but when 2 jackasses with nonsense names can break onto your land and start stealing blocks from your house and you have no way of stopping them, theres no reason to be playing anymore. i suggest you contact the modmaker or see if it wasn't installed correctly.

Miner59

by Miner59 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:55

GunshipPenguin wrote:From time to time the server process dies. Can't quite figure out why, I try to restart it asap if I notice. It should be up and running now.

Hi,
I use a script which restarts minetest server if doesn't find it in process list anymore. So you don't have long downtime if your server crashes. You can use it if you like.

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all

#bash
cd <your minetest-directory>
for ((loop=8;loop>1;loop=loop+1))
do
var=$(ps -A -F -l|grep 'minetest --serve'|head -1|grep 'minetest --server')
##i use grep 2 times because the first grep always find itself in ps, too
##you need to change it if you don't use "minetest -server" to start your server
if [ -z "$var" ]; then
./bin/minetest --server <your options>
fi
sleep 5
done

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 20:32

Neizi wrote:
GunshipPenguin wrote:

i dont think ill be playing this server untill the areas mod is fixed. sorry but when 2 jackasses with nonsense names can break onto your land and start stealing blocks from your house and you have no way of stopping them, theres no reason to be playing anymore. i suggest you contact the modmaker or see if it wasn't installed correctly.

How exactly are you protecting your area? If you don't want players coming into your building or stealing from your chests, use steel doors and locked chests.

Edit: Just tested out the areas mod and it worked fine. Tell me how you're protecting your areas and we can find out what went wrong.
Last edited by GunshipPenguin on Fri Jan 09, 2015 01:29, edited 1 time in total.

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Fri Jan 09, 2015 01:27

Miner59 wrote:
GunshipPenguin wrote:From time to time the server process dies. Can't quite figure out why, I try to restart it asap if I notice. It should be up and running now.

Hi,
I use a script which restarts minetest server if doesn't find it in process list anymore. So you don't have long downtime if your server crashes. You can use it if you like.

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all

#bash
cd <your minetest-directory>
for ((loop=8;loop>1;loop=loop+1))
do
var=$(ps -A -F -l|grep 'minetest --serve'|head -1|grep 'minetest --server')
##i use grep 2 times because the first grep always find itself in ps, too
##you need to change it if you don't use "minetest -server" to start your server
if [ -z "$var" ]; then
./bin/minetest --server <your options>
fi
sleep 5
done

Thanks, should have thought of doing something like that. I'm using your script now.

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Mon Feb 09, 2015 04:47

A few days ago, someone got access to my account. He acted Rude and griefed spawn. He also appears to have logged into other frequent players accounts from time to time.
Whoever this was, I've banned his IP, rebuilt spawn and changed my password. If you have been locked out of your account, or have had your buildings griefed, PM me or talk to me on the server and I'll do my best to help you.

GunshipPenguin

Re: [0.4.12] GunshipPenguin's PvE server

by GunshipPenguin » Sat Feb 28, 2015 05:40

Server has been updated to 0.4.12. I've also made the following changes
    -New map
    -Mapgen has been switched from mgv6 to mg
    -Bones are now deleted with an abm after 1 hour
    -Map and players directory are now stored on a ramdisk, speeding things up considerably

GunshipPenguin

by GunshipPenguin » Sat May 23, 2015 07:31

There was some electrical work being done in my house and someone flicked the circuit breaker for my server. I lost some of my backups, but managed to find an older one ~2 weeks old, that works fine. From now on, the server will go down once every hour for about 3 minutes to perform a backup.

Alienant1

In-game: alienant1 or alienant2

by Alienant1 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 13:03

i think the game would be better with some sort of hunger and healing mechanism, signs lib, more foods and other ores, if these do not affect the running too much
Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

Alienant1

In-game: alienant1 or alienant2

by Alienant1 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 17:46

also, someone has complained about not being able to sprint because they are using ipad.
Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

Germain

In-game: abrac

by Germain » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:32

Hi everyone!

Thanks for this beautiful land.

It's not easy to found some metal, because every where from spawn point was ever visited, almost.
I go down until -500 and I found a cave, with torch...

I'm one guy (I'm not alone) who put some tree. Tree are important, there is some monster spawn under tree or with few light.

To improve biodiversity please put seed some tree (and different tree).

When you cut tree for the wood, please cut all the wood. The leaves will fall quickly, with new sappling. It's the easy way.
Please seed 4 sappling for one cutted tree.

See you
G

Next

Return to Minetest Servers