is hosting on VPS possible\how to host if it is?

davidthecreator

In-game: DavidDoesMinetest

is hosting on VPS possible\how to host if it is?

by davidthecreator » Sat Dec 26, 2015 18:31

im working on stuff in minetest and i wish to use the work i've done and going to do for a server and it would be a shame if such a work was for nothing and its impossible to host on vps because i dont think leaving pc on for ever is a good idea also if its possible to host on vps how to do that?

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: is hosting on VPS possible\how to host if it is?

by rubenwardy » Sat Dec 26, 2015 19:15

I don't understand what you're saying, but I'll try and guess what you're asking. Generally It's a good idea to use punctuation and multiple sentences.

Two main types of servers you can rent are dedi servers and VPS server. A dedi server is having a computer all to yourself. A VPS is a virtual presence server, where multiple people share a massive computer. Each person is given a quota in terms of CPU power, memory, bandwidth and storage space. You can use a VPS to host a Minetest server as long as it meets the minimum requirements.

The Capture the Flag server runs on a $10/month server by Digital Ocean.

You usually manage a VPS using ssh - command lines.

Please also note that there are over 100 servers currently - make sure you have something to offer before paying money to host it.

davidthecreator

by davidthecreator » Sat Dec 26, 2015 19:38

1 theres an free VPS site
2 believe me ! i got such good stuff ready and going to add, that my server would be realy unique, because i made a lot of items that no other sever has, (mt forum aswell)

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sat Dec 26, 2015 19:56

Any vps service you get for free will be terrible and not worth using. You need to come up with the money or get someone else to host it.

You could exploit free trials. If you are at college or university, you can get 5 months free ($50) or Digital Ocean credit through GitHub Education Pack. You need a .ac.xx email address, eg: ac.uk, ac.us, ac. You will need a debit card or a paypal, however.

Just adding loads of random content to a server doesn't make it fun. It tends to make it unbalanced and inconsistent. To get players your server needs to stand out from the others by having a USP - for example CTF is a unique subgame which no other servers host. It's also quick to join and have fun, and no commitment. Once a match ends all players are reset.

davidthecreator

by davidthecreator » Sat Dec 26, 2015 20:11

LOL!
my server will have loot that can only be found in treasure chests or obtained by killing mobs (i already made a few items of that kind in the game that i will use in the server)
diffrent underground layers: dirt with rocks - compressed dirt with rocks - granite - basalt - hell
unique biomes : changes i did : icestone instead of normal stone in frost biomes, jungles got mud and mud with grass instead of dirt and dirt with grass, brand new claylands biome
unique mobs: made some, and il make even more
guns!
EXPLOSIONS!

and a lot more, even things that most server owners are too scared to put in a server

Ivà

GitHub: melzua
IRC: melzua
In-game: melzua

by Ivà » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:09

Take a look at https://www.arubacloud.com/. They offer a VPS's from 1 €/month (+ VAT) and a one month free trial too.

pixture.quelcom.xyz server is hosted in one of the cheap VPS and do it's job well. If you want to have a server with lots of players I think that the cheapest one will not be enough.

OldCoder
Administrator

by OldCoder » Tue Dec 29, 2015 08:27

David, you can rent cloud servers of different types for $5 to $70 USD per month. A server suitable for a light-traffic MT world can be obtained for as little as $10 to $30 USD per month, but you may need to shop around.

If you have a U.S. credit card, you can get a basic cloud server for free. or close to free. from Amazon. This will be one of the AWS EC2 Micro Tier systems. It will not be powerful enough for a serious world, but it may be useful for learning and for experiments.

Warning: The free AWS EC2 is only free for one year, then they'll start to bill you. And don't sign up for any Amazon service, including the free AWS EC2, unless you're prepared to check bills every month to make sure that they're not overcharging you.

I recommend a cloud server with at least 1GB of RAM, 2 cores, 25GB of disk, and a Debian OS such as Debian, Ubuntu, or Mint. If you can afford more hardware, 4GB of RAM, 4 cores, and 50GB of disk is better.

CentOS is an option, but it is not recommended. If at all possible, get a Debian OS instead.

Once you have a cloud server, you'll need to go to the appropriate control panel and open some ports. At a minimum, configure things so as to pass these four ports through: 22 (ssh and scp), 80 (http), 443 (https), and 30000 (Minetest).

After the server is up and running, and ports are configured, you can start to install software. For Debian OSes, Minetest is pretty easy to set up, and you can host your own MT websites as well.

If you like, you can also rent a domain name such as "davidthecreator.com". The domain name is a separate service. I recommend that you go to Namecheap for this. It costs about $1.50 USD per month. This includes a privacy service named "WhoisGuard" that you should probably get.

If you obtain a cloud server, let us know and we'll try to comment further.

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Tue Dec 29, 2015 13:25

davidthecreator wrote:LOL!
my server will have loot that can only be found in treasure chests or obtained by killing mobs (i already made a few items of that kind in the game that i will use in the server)
diffrent underground layers: dirt with rocks - compressed dirt with rocks - granite - basalt - hell
unique biomes : changes i did : icestone instead of normal stone in frost biomes, jungles got mud and mud with grass instead of dirt and dirt with grass, brand new claylands biome
unique mobs: made some, and il make even more
guns!
EXPLOSIONS!

and a lot more, even things that most server owners are too scared to put in a server

new terrain is always interesting, but it might be so interesting that players will dig large holes everywhere just to stuff it in their chests and never look at it again.
also explosion should be handled very carefully.

a countermeasure against the holes is to add renewable resources. on Xanadu cobble can be made into gravel, dirt and sand, so that everyone can get as much as they want without destroying the surface world.
for explosions, i can only recommend to make the items very advanced and hard to get.
otherwise random noobs will reduce your world to ashes.

Return to Minetest Servers