Cash's World Server

Should I add hostile mobs?

Yes
66%
No
27%
Yes. With conditions. Please post message specifying conditions to forum
7%
Other - Please post message with details to forum.
No votes

Total votes : 41

sorcerykid

In-game: Nemo

Re: Cash's World Server

by sorcerykid » Sun Oct 09, 2016 23:12

Glad to hear you are doing okay in your neck of the woods, as things could be much worse I'm sure. Hope to see you online again soon. Remember, safety before server :)

843jdc

GitHub: jdc843
IRC: jdc843
In-game: 843jdc

by 843jdc » Sun Oct 09, 2016 23:28

I'm fine and so are all the cats. The yard is cleaned up except for a few small trees knocked over and washing the gunk off my truck.

Yes it could have been much worse. From what I can find out, the hurricane came ashore south of me about 60 miles away. Then it turned back out to sea just south of me. IDK if I experienced hurricane force winds or not. I doubt it. I have been through worse here.

My power is back on and my Internet connection is up so I assume the rest of civilization survived as well.

Except for the warming refrigerator I actually enjoyed it. I wasn't sitting in front of my computer haha.

Time for me to relax a bit. Then work on the server and get it back up and running. CW will return soon! xD

843jdc

by 843jdc » Mon Oct 10, 2016 05:11

Server is back up.

ManElevation

GitHub: ManElevation
IRC: ManElevation
In-game: ManElevation

by ManElevation » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:41

cool i don't really like hurricanes :)
here in australia we have more like floods, in 2010 or 2009 i don't remember, there was a very big food at the same city than mine, and people did die. there was water over my knees.

Well im glad you ok and the server too.
my server it will be up soon, i fixed all the problems even with the ip witch i had a lot of problems with
Hey there im going to be off minetest for a while because my company has been deleloping a game called Ground Conflict, if you wish to see some screenshots or have some info, than please join our discord server https://discord.gg/C9ygXJn

843jdc

Changes to the basic_machines mod

by 843jdc » Sat Oct 15, 2016 06:34

Begun adding help text to rnd's machines. Help button added to most machines but other than for the generator, the help texts still need to be written.

Nikz

In-game: Nikz

by Nikz » Fri Oct 21, 2016 09:22

Nikz wrote:admin if u can would u add zombies pls its gonna be fun at night

im waitin for an answere pl........

ManElevation

by ManElevation » Sun Oct 23, 2016 00:45

Nikz wrote:
Nikz wrote:admin if u can would u add zombies pls its gonna be fun at night

im waitin for an answere pl........

i dont agree
Hey there im going to be off minetest for a while because my company has been deleloping a game called Ground Conflict, if you wish to see some screenshots or have some info, than please join our discord server https://discord.gg/C9ygXJn

843jdc

by 843jdc » Sun Oct 23, 2016 01:33

I will add mobs. But I want it done in such a way as to have some areas where players can be safe from mobs. It is not ready yet.

Nikz

In-game: Nikz

by Nikz » Sun Oct 23, 2016 02:54

843jdc wrote:I will add mobs. But I want it done in such a way as to have some areas where players can be safe from mobs. It is not ready yet.

Waiting.......
Xd take ur time admin.......

843jdc

5 Dec 2016 Status Report

by 843jdc » Mon Dec 05, 2016 21:13

The server was shut down last night due to 'Admin overload'. Too many players wanting and needing help all at the same time, a player negatively comparing my loosely-regulated server to another tightly-regulated server. 22 hours awake with a couple more hours to go wasn't helping. After a WorldEdit mistake, I shut the d**med thing down and powered off the computer. Silence is golden tonight :) Yes, I got mad and made a hasty action. More mad at myself for the WE screw-up and slow server than anything else.

I was helping one player learn how to mine and make things. That can often take a *lot* of time. But I have learned that if I teach one player how to do something, that player will often teach others. Though likely not teach someone "that was being mean to me"

This is a PvP server. That includes 'ground wars' of hostile protection blocks placed by hostile players. I temper that if I see someone building something really nice and I decide to help the construction.

I didn't seek out young kids that don't know how to play the game, to play on this world but I have them and lots of them. Because of that, they are now my target audience. This server will aim to be a place where kids can stand around and chat, whack each other with wood swords or barehanded, and hopefully have fun doing it. I allow a lot of actions and talk that I don't like seeing though I have rules against it. I do that due to my belief that if a kid is shielded too much from the realities of the real world, then that kid will not be prepared for person-to-person interaction in the real world. You can't handle a cheat or liar unless you have encountered one before. I do have my limits on what actions I will allow and when a player reaches those limits and I see what is happening, I will act.

I do occasionally get players that want to build creatively. If I become aware of what they are making and they need my help or materials, I very often do so. Though you are warned that this server is *not* targeted for creative play.

I have a few "sub-admins" with the privs to kick players. I wish I could grant them privs to do more that that using temp-ban of,say, up to a week's duration. I believe that permanent banning should only come from me, the Admin. "If someone is going to screw up big time, let it be the big guy that does it"

If you like my server, great. Stay and play. If you don't like it, you can ask for me to change things. I might do that. Though don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. I do have lots of ideas that have not been implemented yet. Some may never be. Or if you are going to criticize my server and the way it is run, feel free to do so. I might even agree with you though you might not know it. Then you can go play on any of the other 160+ servers that are available and have different mods and goals. Find a server that *you* enjoy wherever that is

I don't often play on this server. I'm sorry but hanging with young kids chatting about who is 'dating' who, etc isn't for me. Though I do try to keep an eye on what is happening and when I do play here, I have learned how not to attract attention hehe. If you see ADMIN in the world, he isn't there for play but work.

I am going to spend the next couple of hours looking over the world, seeing to what problems I can fix without the loud noise (chat) and server lag caused by many players. I am not going to rush this though I likely won't find everything that 'needs fixing'. Then I'll reset the server and announce it.

BBmine

GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

Re: 5 Dec 2016 Status Report

by BBmine » Thu Dec 08, 2016 17:10

843jdc wrote:The server was shut down last night due to 'Admin overload'. Too many players wanting and needing help all at the same time, a player negatively comparing my loosely-regulated server to another tightly-regulated server. 22 hours awake with a couple more hours to go wasn't helping. After a WorldEdit mistake, I shut the d**med thing down and powered off the computer. Silence is golden tonight :) Yes, I got mad and made a hasty action. More mad at myself for the WE screw-up and slow server than anything else.

I was helping one player learn how to mine and make things. That can often take a *lot* of time. But I have learned that if I teach one player how to do something, that player will often teach others. Though likely not teach someone "that was being mean to me"

This is a PvP server. That includes 'ground wars' of hostile protection blocks placed by hostile players. I temper that if I see someone building something really nice and I decide to help the construction.

I didn't seek out young kids that don't know how to play the game, to play on this world but I have them and lots of them. Because of that, they are now my target audience. This server will aim to be a place where kids can stand around and chat, whack each other with wood swords or barehanded, and hopefully have fun doing it. I allow a lot of actions and talk that I don't like seeing though I have rules against it. I do that due to my belief that if a kid is shielded too much from the realities of the real world, then that kid will not be prepared for person-to-person interaction in the real world. You can't handle a cheat or liar unless you have encountered one before. I do have my limits on what actions I will allow and when a player reaches those limits and I see what is happening, I will act.

I do occasionally get players that want to build creatively. If I become aware of what they are making and they need my help or materials, I very often do so. Though you are warned that this server is *not* targeted for creative play.

I have a few "sub-admins" with the privs to kick players. I wish I could grant them privs to do more that that using temp-ban of,say, up to a week's duration. I believe that permanent banning should only come from me, the Admin. "If someone is going to screw up big time, let it be the big guy that does it"

If you like my server, great. Stay and play. If you don't like it, you can ask for me to change things. I might do that. Though don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. I do have lots of ideas that have not been implemented yet. Some may never be. Or if you are going to criticize my server and the way it is run, feel free to do so. I might even agree with you though you might not know it. Then you can go play on any of the other 160+ servers that are available and have different mods and goals. Find a server that *you* enjoy wherever that is

I don't often play on this server. I'm sorry but hanging with young kids chatting about who is 'dating' who, etc isn't for me. Though I do try to keep an eye on what is happening and when I do play here, I have learned how not to attract attention hehe. If you see ADMIN in the world, he isn't there for play but work.

I am going to spend the next couple of hours looking over the world, seeing to what problems I can fix without the loud noise (chat) and server lag caused by many players. I am not going to rush this though I likely won't find everything that 'needs fixing'. Then I'll reset the server and announce it.

I understand how that feels. I usually play Rigs of Rods tho. :D
God's not dead!
I actually did mine walls before I started playing this game....
Mods, Servers, and My Youtube Channel
Let us remember Just Test on April 16.
"Together, we will make America great again!" --President Trump
Please vote for the next video I should do here
I'm the most rottenist potato in the fridge.
Copyright (c) 2017 Baggins Inc. (tm) All rights reserved.

843jdc

by 843jdc » Thu Dec 08, 2016 17:50

And you made me log in to this forum just to read that?
:)

I prefer FlightGear. Though I did go check out RoR. Pretty nice. I might download it sometime.

See ya :)

BBmine

by BBmine » Thu Dec 08, 2016 23:26

843jdc wrote:And you made me log in to this forum just to read that?
:)

I prefer FlightGear. Though I did go check out RoR. Pretty nice. I might download it sometime.

See ya :)

I like FlightGear too, but that eats RAM and CPU like it's cake.

When do you expect the server to be back?
God's not dead!

Fixerol

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixerol » Thu Dec 15, 2016 20:18

843jdc

Remember that furnace problem? There is a already working fix here and I tested it in singleplayer: https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/pull/1457

I would like you to install it on your server, you need to copy this furnace.lua file: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sofar ... urnace.lua
into your minetest_game/mods/default/ directory overwriting the old furnace.lua file.

Let players play with it as usual and we will see if it is good enough for release.

843jdc

Server and Mod Updates

by 843jdc » Thu Dec 15, 2016 21:01

The server has been updated to the latest git code.
The mods have been updated also.

Players are finding bugs, problems, and telling me what they think of the changes.
Notable problems and their fixes:
  • Players dying in protected areas do not generate bones and drop their inventory items even with bones_mode=bones. Reverted to older code. Thanks go to beastie and PurpleOne for testing.
  • The textures for fences was not correct. I think this was one of my custom changes that went wrong. Changed the drawtype to fix. Fixer has been bugging me about this for a long time. Finally fixed. Trap doors and apple textures have not been looked at yet.
  • Added code to stop falling nodes from destroying protected nodes like cart tracks. Thank you GoldFireUn
  • Furnaces cooking too fast. Updated default/furnace.lua as suggested by Fixer.

The advtrains mod has been installed. As expected, I had a 'traffic jam' of trains within an hour of players knowing about them. Making these trains kid-proof will be difficult but challenging :) A modified installation of mesecons will likely happen very soon to implement automatic track switching. This mod still needs a lot of work. Expect changes.

I hope the additions that I make do not cause low-memory mobile devices to not be able to connect. The problem is that too many players don't know or understand how to post problem reports to the forums. Those players could be silently lost :/

I opened up a new city center. This area is totally protected by ADMIN near the center. (I learned a lesson last time. I wonder what other lessons I need to learn? haha) This area is intended for young players that mostly stand around and chat. So expect City Blocks to be placed everywhere to prevent PvP on kids that don't know how to protect themselves and their areas. Four prot block land grants can only be given out by ADMIN. Space available for about 100 players. Minus the space required for the railroad.

More changes coming soon. Such as making diamonds and mese act like other ores. Preventing factories that produce an endless supply of diamonds, mese, other ores starting on a single item.

If you need ADMIN's attention, don't pester me! You can also prefix your messages to me using 'ADMIN -'. that will trigger chat2 for me and help me see your message. Sorry but I will sometimes begin to ignore players that pester me or if I 'get overloaded' with players wanting me and I am trying to get something done. Too often helping one player can take a long time. It's an exercise in frustration then. ADMIN likes to play and build sometimes too xD

Too bad asia16 isn't around any more to comment about my long post. I'm sure her response would be a short and sweet: A single letter 'k'

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Fri Dec 16, 2016 00:41

k thx

843jdc

by 843jdc » Fri Dec 16, 2016 00:58

np

BBmine

Re: Server and Mod Updates

by BBmine » Sat Dec 17, 2016 00:53

843jdc wrote:Too bad asia16 isn't around any more to comment about my long post. I'm sure her response would be a short and sweet: A single letter 'k'

Why? Did she died, or what?
God's not dead!

gpcf

In-game: gabriel

by gpcf » Sun Dec 25, 2016 22:54

I'd like to see how advtrains is used on this server, since I use it on my own server. I spent some time on it today, but I couldn't find any tracks. Can you post some screenshots?

843jdc

by 843jdc » Mon Dec 26, 2016 07:22

For now the mod is present but not in use on this server. Too many problems with the mod as it is now. That isn't helped by having players that don't put the trains back where they got them by jumping off, timing out, or logging off and abandoning their train on the tracks. Read my long post in the advtrains forum about my thoughts on the mod. I am working on other problems and mods right now. Eventually I'll get around to working on this cool mod but it is not a priority item.

I made a loop through Belleville with train tracks. I also made a switching yard and repair depot. The depot isn't finished and the switches could use the mescons mod. 99% of my players are too young to know to switch the tracks to go where they want to go. that's if they could even see where to go using their cell phones to play the game.

gpcf

In-game: gabriel

by gpcf » Mon Dec 26, 2016 23:06

I've got exactly the same experiences on my server. My server's network is quite big, but it is not really operational, though, I hope automatic trains come soon and solve all problem.

ManElevation

by ManElevation » Thu Dec 29, 2016 07:57

I highly recommend this server :)

843jdc

Mods on Cash's World Server

by 843jdc » Thu Dec 29, 2016 21:49

The mods are being heavily reworked. Expect things to break over the new several weeks. Send me /mail to inform me of any problems. Do not expect a fast fix to every problem. I do save the /mail messages that I get until I resolve the problems. So please don't resend reports unless I ask if the problem is still there.

Example: Doors mod
I studied the code, understood all but a few functions. Mainly how the nodes are named and renamed. Made and applied my changes. We now have unknown nodes on top of doors. I decided that it would be easier and faster for players to dig and replace their doors than for me to spend more time studying that last bit of code.

I have a lot of requests in my 'todo' queue. I hope to start working on them after I make these changes. Maybe then I will be able to delete all those /mails that I've saved.

ManElevation

Re: Mods on Cash's World Server

by ManElevation » Thu Dec 29, 2016 22:53

843jdc wrote:The mods are being heavily reworked. Expect things to break over the new several weeks. Send me /mail to inform me of any problems. Do not expect a fast fix to every problem. I do save the /mail messages that I get until I resolve the problems. So please don't resend reports unless I ask if the problem is still there.

Example: Doors mod
I studied the code, understood all but a few functions. Mainly how the nodes are named and renamed. Made and applied my changes. We now have unknown nodes on top of doors. I decided that it would be easier and faster for players to dig and replace their doors than for me to spend more time studying that last bit of code.

I have a lot of requests in my 'todo' queue. I hope to start working on them after I make these changes. Maybe then I will be able to delete all those /mails that I've saved.

i sore that the doors were able to be oppened by anyone.

843jdc

by 843jdc » Thu Dec 29, 2016 22:59

ManElevation wrote:i sore that the doors were able to be oppened by anyone.

Even locked doors? Not good but I'm not surprised either. Enjoy exploring :)

843jdc

by 843jdc » Tue Jan 03, 2017 18:09

Placing the server into a virtual machine that is stored on a Windows partition and trying to access the virtual machine from both Windows and Linux is a mess :(

There is a problem with Virtual Box in that it doesn't seem to like sharing ports. It is causing my system to lock up sometimes.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Tue Jan 03, 2017 18:23

If you ever need any help with configuration or testing, don't hesitate to ask. I have at least a decent familiarity running Minetest under Linux, so I'd be glad to offer some guidance if needed.

843jdc

by 843jdc » Thu Jan 05, 2017 04:43

Running it under BOTH Windows 10 and Linux isn't working as well as I hoped. Seems to be a bug in VirtualBox when the same port is used by more than one system (host & VM). It knocks my computer off the Internet requiring a reboot.

The server has been running for hours w/o any players because of it :(
Oh well. "If it was easy, everyone would do it" haha

843jdc

by 843jdc » Thu Jan 05, 2017 23:49

Sorry for the down time.
Server is being moved to its own drive.
Then I need to verify that I can access it from both Windows and Linux and that it keeps the same IP address each time.
Server will be up again sometime tonight. Maybe

BBmine

by BBmine » Fri Jan 06, 2017 03:19

843jdc wrote:Sorry for the down time.
Server is being moved to its own drive.
Then I need to verify that I can access it from both Windows and Linux and that it keeps the same IP address each time.
Server will be up again sometime tonight. Maybe

It should work. Just make sure that the drive has a file system that windows should read. It should be the same IP because the IP address we see is your network address, not your PC address. (Now I would say just destroy the Windows partition. Who needs Windows anyway? not me.)
God's not dead!

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest Servers