Server lag caused by technic.

Tmanyo

GitHub: Tmanyo
IRC: Tmanyo
In-game: tmanyo

Server lag caused by technic.

by Tmanyo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 01:58

So I host 2 servers, TTech-Creative and TTech-Survival. Several others and I built a power plant on TTech-Survival and ever since the lag has been through the roof. It is nice when it stays at around .5, but it has been at 176. TTech-Creative at the same time has been running at .1 max_lag. I have narrowed down that it is not my internet. The power plant we built includes 16 Nuclear Reactors and 696 HV solar panels. We have done a similar build on RRH-Creative, the power plant on RRH-Creative had more Nuclear reactors though. I don't see how this should cause that much of a problem. To be honest the lag doesn't feel that bad moving around and placing blocks. I just type /status and the lag number is in the 3 digits...
Tmanyo
http://rrhmsservers.weebly.com/
Servers I Host:
Xtremetest
Vault-81

maikerumine

GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

Re: Server lag caused by technic.

by maikerumine » Fri Jul 15, 2016 02:05

Tmanyo wrote:So I host 2 servers, TTech-Creative and TTech-Survival. Several others and I built a power plant on TTech-Survival and ever since the lag has been through the roof. It is nice when it stays at around .5, but it has been at 176. TTech-Creative at the same time has been running at .1 max_lag. I have narrowed down that it is not my internet. The power plant we built includes 16 Nuclear Reactors and 696 HV solar panels. We have done a similar build on RRH-Creative, the power plant on RRH-Creative had more Nuclear reactors though. I don't see how this should cause that much of a problem. To be honest the lag doesn't feel that bad moving around and placing blocks. I just type /status and the lag number is in the 3 digits...

Yes, all those components cause major ABM lag, sadly. :(
A nice streamlined technic like mod is rnd's basic_machines
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12033&hilit=mod+basic_machines
I use this on my servers and never have lag from them, due to the "wireless" connections it creates.

I too ran Technic on ESM for a few months, all was fine until the nuclear reactors and large factories went up, then lag was unbearable. Bummer, I had to make a mod that aliased out all the technic nodes. :(

843jdc

GitHub: jdc843
IRC: jdc843
In-game: 843jdc

by 843jdc » Fri Jul 15, 2016 05:04

Oh but I *so* much loved the look of the giant nuclear reactor! And the colorful HV power lines. Oh, and the charge meters on the batteries. Though the limited types of machines that could be built stunk.

rnd's basic_machines can do far more. So much so, that it's scary :) All without those pesky power lines poking holes into structures making it look weird.

DI3HARD139

GitHub: DI3HARD139
IRC: DI3HARD139
In-game: DI3HARD139 DI3HARD139_

by DI3HARD139 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 04:41

I think a majority of the lag is from the mapgen portion of technic.
Servers: mt.rrhgameservers.ml = [RRH] MT-Creative (48250), RRH-Survival (48253), Unknown (48255), Minetest City (48262)
Specs = Intel Core i5-3570s 16GB DDR3 2TB HDD, Ubuntu Server 16.04.1 x64 XFCE
------------------------------------------------------------
System: Lenovo Thinkstation S30 = Intel Xeon E5-2665, 20GB DDR3 (1333MHz Non-ECC), Gigabyte GTX1060 6GB, 3.5TB Storage, Win 10 Pro x64.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Fri Jul 29, 2016 20:55

843jdc wrote:Oh but I *so* much loved the look of the giant nuclear reactor! And the colorful HV power lines. Oh, and the charge meters on the
batteries. Though the limited types of machines that could be built stunk.

Oh yes, building a technic chain in the first place is a good and enjoyable challenge. It's a lot of fun! It's when all these technic chains by diffrent players, located close to spawn or at mayor player throughfares, set up for continous production using massive pipeworks networks tend to get too much for any server.

843jdc wrote:rnd's basic_machines can do far more. So much so, that it's scary :) All without those pesky power lines poking holes into structures making it look weird.

rnd's machines are great and much more powerful than the technic ones. Yet without those connecting wires, it's far from beeing obvious how all things are connected. And smelting diamonds takes way too long.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Return to Minetest Servers