Server to play with my friends free ?

Sires

In-game: Sires

Server to play with my friends free ?

by Sires » Fri Feb 03, 2017 15:17

Hello, I want so much a free server 24 hours with mods(maybe subgames), I saw in the minetesthosting that I can do that only with a 40 dollars plan '-' I'm a 12 years teenager, its so hard pay that. I just want in the max 10 players or 5 and the option to upload mods and subgames, maybe if I can only 12 hours(no one will play 3 am lol), is there any free plan for that ?
AY havy gud modys: Obdy, Codeblocks
Workingi ohn: EnergyFlow

texmex

GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

Re: Server to play with my friends free ?

by texmex » Fri Feb 03, 2017 15:36

There's no free service that I've seen matching your requirements. However, if you're technically inclined or willing to learn some basic linux commandline stuff, I recommend getting a Digital Ocean account and use their smallest Virtual Private Server (VPS) configuration. You then get a linux based virtual machine onto which you may install and run Minetest as a server and any mods you'd like. Note that you have to set it up manually.

As a new user you may use the credit code heresthething to add $10 to your account. That essentially gives you two months free.
I spend all my days going down to the mines. Under the ground where the sun never shines. Breaking my back I put heat in your house. I’ve got the roar of a digtron, the breath of a mouse.

Sires

by Sires » Fri Feb 03, 2017 15:44

texmex wrote:There's no free service that I've seen matching your requirements. However, if you're technically inclined or willing to learn some basic linux commandline stuff, I recommend getting a Digital Ocean account and use their smallest Virtual Private Server (VPS) configuration. You then get a linux based virtual machine onto which you may install and run Minetest as a server and any mods you'd like. Note that you have to set it up manually.

As a new user you may use the credit code heresthething to add $10 to your account. That essentially gives you two months free.

So, I'll keep my server by only two months :(
Ps: I use linux

texmex

by texmex » Fri Feb 03, 2017 16:17

Sires wrote:So, I'll keep my server by only two months :(

You stated that $40 was too much, I figured you've realized you can't have such server for free anyway. $5 a month after two free months is not much between a few friends.
I spend all my days going down to the mines. Under the ground where the sun never shines. Breaking my back I put heat in your house. I’ve got the roar of a digtron, the breath of a mouse.

Sires

by Sires » Fri Feb 03, 2017 16:51

texmex wrote:
Sires wrote:So, I'll keep my server by only two months :(

You stated that $40 was too much, I figured you've realized you can't have such server for free anyway. $5 a month after two free months is not much between a few friends.

I have no money, so I'll just keep doing hamachi servers(now I'm trying to find an alternative that works, hamachi isn't working)

Milan*

GitHub: tchncs
IRC: Passant
In-game: Milan Passant

by Milan* » Fri Feb 03, 2017 19:27

40$ for a minetestserver is in any way way too much. horrible that people think this is a realistic price.
This would match a dedicated rootserver with around 24gig ram somewhere else.
Beside, this "coming soon" is there since months yet.

sorcerykid

In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Fri Feb 03, 2017 21:09

40$ for a minetestserver is in any way way too much. horrible that people think this is a realistic price.

Hmm, it would be very hard to lease a dedicated server with 24 GB of RAM for under $70/month, even on discount.

The quoted $40 figure sounds more in line with the cost of a high-end VPS with superuser access.

Milan*

by Milan* » Fri Feb 03, 2017 23:06

I do not talk about new hardware. :)
And there is indeed a german hoster where you can catch this with much luck :)

angelo1123_

IRC: angelo1123_
In-game: angelo1123_

by angelo1123_ » Fri Feb 03, 2017 23:50

What german hoster?
facebook:angelo.ulita
instagram:@angeloulita
twitter:@angeloulita112
snapchat:anhelo.ulita(username)
kik:angelo.ulita
server:www.minetesthosting.net:30531

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Sat Feb 04, 2017 00:01

Sires wrote:
texmex wrote:There's no free service that I've seen matching your requirements. However, if you're technically inclined or willing to learn some basic linux commandline stuff, I recommend getting a Digital Ocean account and use their smallest Virtual Private Server (VPS) configuration. You then get a linux based virtual machine onto which you may install and run Minetest as a server and any mods you'd like. Note that you have to set it up manually.

Well..., maybe you could try to work out something with a friendly neighbor or maybe family members, where you take on a chore for the $ to do some low end server acct? (just a suggestion, and I do realize not everyone is in a position to do any of those things)
At 11yo my friends and I used to go around shoveling driveways, mowing lawns, cleaning up people's yards for some quick $... needless to say we definitely short changed ourselves but hey... we were kids and to us $10 was like $100 :D
Flick?... Flick who?

Sires

by Sires » Sat Feb 04, 2017 00:56

TumeniNodes wrote:
Sires wrote:

Well..., maybe you could try to work out something with a friendly neighbor or maybe family members, where you take on a chore for the $ to do some low end server acct? (just a suggestion, and I do realize not everyone is in a position to do any of those things)
At 11yo my friends and I used to go around shoveling driveways, mowing lawns, cleaning up people's yards for some quick $... needless to say we definitely short changed ourselves but hey... we were kids and to us $10 was like $100 :D

No, in Brazil(I'm braziliam) it's not so easy, that is really hard someone that pay for this work and for kids and 5 dollars is 15.60 braziliam reals :(

Milan*

by Milan* » Sat Feb 04, 2017 07:27

What german hoster?

Not only that - the names i know are Hetzner and Kimsufi.
If there is currently not exactly such an offer, there will be quite nice ones anyway i think... .
By the way, the overpriced hoster you choosed has a .com domain - not .net.

texmex

by texmex » Sat Feb 04, 2017 18:31

Sorry if I assumed your economical ability Sires, I have no idea how much $5 is in real price where you live. If you have the time and ability you could always have a friend sign up for a new DO account after each two months and migrate the server to a new one.

843jdc

GitHub: jdc843
IRC: jdc843
In-game: 843jdc

by 843jdc » Sun Feb 05, 2017 04:22

Milan* wrote:40$ for a minetestserver is in any way way too much. horrible that people think this is a realistic price.
This would match a dedicated rootserver with around 24gig ram somewhere else.
Beside, this "coming soon" is there since months yet.

$40/month is too much?
Hmm, Let's see. The hardware hosting Cash's World cost about $2500. Which is powered on for 2-2.5 times more than it normally would be thereby aging the system that much faster. Internet service about $40/month just for the server itself. About $25 extra per month for electricity used by the hardware during times that it normally would not be operating. So approximately $65 USD per month to run the server. Not counting the initial equipment cost. Think about it. $40/month to have a MT server that you control and get to play 'god' on is cheap. That is a cost that I pay for a server that I don't really even play on. And I'm running this server for what stupid reason?

The expression "You get what you pay for" applies to this scenario. So does "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch."

Sires

by Sires » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:42

texmex wrote:Sorry if I assumed your economical ability Sires, I have no idea how much $5 is in real price where you live. If you have the time and ability you could always have a friend sign up for a new DO account after each two months and migrate the server to a new one.

No prob, but I'll just continue with hamachi(or anything) servers, the idea of create infinite accounts to have free server makes me a bit bad because other person is losing money(or isn't earning) :)

linushsao

IRC: linushsao
In-game: linus

by linushsao » Sun Feb 05, 2017 15:20

Sires wrote:Hello, I want so much a free server 24 hours with mods(maybe subgames), I saw in the minetesthosting that I can do that only with a 40 dollars plan '-' I'm a 12 years teenager, its so hard pay that. I just want in the max 10 players or 5 and the option to upload mods and subgames, maybe if I can only 12 hours(no one will play 3 am lol), is there any free plan for that ?

at beginning your world will be small,my suggestion is you could host on digitalocean,using "10$ month" solution(1GbRAM/1CPU).my mars-server starting at that solution,it's not bad.

if you could use linux,it's fine.i using debian on digitalocean,remember complie minetestserver by yourself,and enable LEVELDB supported(will speed up your performance while map generation). my cmake option is:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
cmake . -DRUN_IN_PLACE=0 -DBUILD_SERVER=1  -DENABLE_LUAJIT=1 -DENABLE_GETTEXT=1 -DENABLE_FREETYPE=1 -DENABLE_LEVELDB=1
1).My Server:Mars World
2).address:139.59.238.211:30016
3).manual(in processing):http://tinyurl.com/jyjkrgl
4).for my(admin's) role in all my servers,i'll be as the earth/water/fire/wind. i maintain that system,but not manage/touch players directly in game,not own the crafts on planet. i just keep watching the worlds.

Milan*

by Milan* » Sun Feb 05, 2017 21:34

The reactions for free server requests are like

(sorry xD)

hajo

by hajo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 21:50

Sires wrote:I want .. a free server 24 hours with mods(maybe subgames)

How many friends, what mods / subgame ?

Well, you might have to settle for some compromise:

* Find an existing server that runs (most of) the stuff you want
** maybe ask an admin of such a server to add your favorite mod

* Host it yourself, e.g. on a raspberry (maybe only good for 2-4 users)
** set up a small website at one of those 'free webhosters',
** to announce your current ip (you might need to update that every day).
** also needs to setup the firewall of your router for the ports minetest uses

That's not completely free (needs internet, electricity, and some work),
but should be close enough.
Some of 'my' wiki-pages: Build-a-home - basic-robot - basic-machines - digtron

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Apr 01, 2017 02:13

Sires wrote:I have no money, so I'll just keep doing hamachi servers(now I'm trying to find an alternative that works, hamachi isn't working)

Hamachi does seem to be a VPN (virtual private network) client. What do you use it for? Which purpose is it supposed to serve? What has it got to do with Minetest (except that people seem to mention it from time to time)?

843jdc wrote:$40/month is too much?

Er, yes? In this case it certainly is.

843jdc wrote:Hmm, Let's see. The hardware hosting Cash's World cost about $2500. Which is powered on for 2-2.5 times more than it normally would be thereby aging the system that much faster. Internet service about $40/month just for the server itself. About $25 extra per month for electricity used by the hardware during times that it normally would not be operating. So approximately $65 USD per month to run the server.

The hardware seems pretty expensive to begin with. Even a core i7 ought to cost less? The way you describe it, the hardware seems to be maxed out (else it would consume less energy). Granted, your server is a huge one - with a max of 50 players allowed and currently 43 beeing logged in. The mods installed do not seem to be particulary demanding on the hardware side (though, 50 players and mobs - no idea). It might be intresting to discuss hardware demands larger servers have in order to see if all works well or if something needs optimization. Some other few people run comparable servers. Maybe they're using equal hardware. Maybe there are ways to optimize.

hajo wrote:Well, you might have to settle for some compromise:

* Find an existing server that runs (most of) the stuff you want
** maybe ask an admin of such a server to add your favorite mod

That sounds like a more reasonable advice than "get more money and rent a professional server" to a 12 year old. There are many great servers which are all slightly diffrent and where new players are welcome.

hajo wrote:* Host it yourself, e.g. on a raspberry (maybe only good for 2-4 users)

Exactly. As long as the internet connection is stable and fast enough, that ought to be no big problem. A raspberry is a good solution as it does consume only few energy, but it also costs money to buy and is not particulary fast. Depending on what's available, running MT on an old notebook (=low energy consumption) or old computer might also be an option. Krock ran his server on a rather old and outdated machine - and yet there was room for at least 15 players at a time. I think Krocks setup was very similar to what Sires might be intrested in.

hajo wrote:** set up a small website at one of those 'free webhosters',

A website is useful for a very large server where a forum can be useful, but...even the largest servers are better served with just opening a threat here in the server section and discussing whatever needs to be discussed there.

hajo wrote:** to announce your current ip (you might need to update that every day).

The service required for that is called "dynamic DNS". There are free servers where you can get a subdomain. The domain itshelf isn't yours, so it's not for eternity, but it usually costs no money. It's a very simple service after all. I use for example http://freedns.afraid.org. Instead of remembering your IP, you'll be able to pass on e.g. mygreatserver.mydyndnsserver.net or whatever to your players. Many internet routers are preconfigured so that they can update their ip automaticly.

A MT server can announce that it's up to the server that hosts the list of servers, so it'll even appear in the server list. That's afaik just a configuration issue. That might even work with a dynamic IP, although players might then have trouble locating the server in the list.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Return to Minetest Servers