[0.4.8] 0gb.us's basic server

Bearbar123

by Bearbar123 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 04:26

Hey, even though this has no rules, i think a good rule would be no vandalism.
Hello I am a random panda

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Mon Jan 28, 2013 05:06

The rule is that if you don't use /claim to protect your stuff, it is your own fault. I used to have a rules button in the menu that when clicked, said just that. Or rather, it said you needed to use the land claim blocks, a legacy system that is no longer in place.

/claim can be used any number of times for free, so there's no reason not to use it.

I don't like vandals any more than most people, but I believe systems for prevention are a better idea than systems of reparation or retribution. If the land claims are somehow defective, let me know and I will try to fix them, but problems such as this should be fixed with code, not a judicial system.

EDIT: Also, in a way, this server is sort of an experiment in figuring out what players need to survive in a potentially hostile environment. If we can make this work, perhaps there can be more rule-free servers. Rules are always subject to interpretation, which itself poses a problem for both administrators and users.
Last edited by 0gb.us on Mon Jan 28, 2013 05:09, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:50

0gb.us wrote:The rule is that if you don't use /claim to protect your stuff, it is your own fault. I used to have a rules button in the menu that when clicked, said just that. Or rather, it said you needed to use the land claim blocks, a legacy system that is no longer in place.

/claim can be used any number of times for free, so there's no reason not to use it.

I don't like vandals any more than most people, but I believe systems for prevention are a better idea than systems of reparation or retribution. If the land claims are somehow defective, let me know and I will try to fix them, but problems such as this should be fixed with code, not a judicial system.

EDIT: Also, in a way, this server is sort of an experiment in figuring out what players need to survive in a potentially hostile environment. If we can make this work, perhaps there can be more rule-free servers. Rules are always subject to interpretation, which itself poses a problem for both administrators and users.

@0gb i love your anti vandalism precautions. The only downside is if you are building HUGE structures but then you need to pay the price for big size. Also the way you are just another player by leaving the admin status to no one is awsome because it is just like a couple of friends playing on a local server.
@Everyone if you want to double protect you creations do like me. on a private server i found this awsome spot to build with the seed 0. one problem it is at +-11000,X,+-12000(actually farther but i will not tell cords) so i am making a couple day walk to get there. If a vandal has that determination the let him try to destroy my house cause im gonna protect it so /me hahahaha. finally there is a thing called common curtisy andin my country we have a right to use it.
edit: 0gb if anyone does get a little out ofhand with vandalising and must be punished might i suggest this mod. it adds blocks but are only accessable by /giveme and creative. you set the location for jail in the file and then when in game say i vandalize EVERYTHING and i must be punished (cause i did it 10 times already) then you type /jail jojoa1997 and i go to jail. every 30 seconds i get warped back to the jail spot.
Last edited by jojoa1997 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Bearbar123

by Bearbar123 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:58

Okay 0gb...

Guys, on the server i have like 1000000000 things to do with the empire, here is a list.

1)Finish the wall laying out
2)Build the Inn in the town
3)Build all the houses in the town(3.5 done out of 100)
4)Build the walls
5)Gather more tree(ALOT more tree)
6)Finish the first floor of the castle
7)Gather papyrus
8)Finish the second floor of the castle
9)Finish the third floor of the castle
10)Finish the castle
11)Builc the noble houses(0/4 made/started so far)

So if you join the server make a donation to my church, i will post pictures

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:00

Bearbar123 wrote:Okay 0gb...

Guys, on the server i have like 1000000000 things to do with the empire, here is a list.

1)Finish the wall laying out
2)Build the Inn in the town
3)Build all the houses in the town(3.5 done out of 100)
4)Build the walls
5)Gather more tree(ALOT more tree)
6)Finish the first floor of the castle
7)Gather papyrus
8)Finish the second floor of the castle
9)Finish the third floor of the castle
10)Finish the castle
11)Builc the noble houses(0/4 made/started so far)

So if you join the server make a donation to my church, i will post pictures

You forgot to add build a hunger games starting area. please add a pool of water in the courtyard or somewhere for me to build it.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:09

Bearbar am I a noble?
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

Bearbar123

by Bearbar123 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 04:56

Yea, you, 0gb, Jo, and Adarqet, since i'm building the castle mostly i'm claiming the queenship

RabbiBob

by RabbiBob » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:08

0gb.us wrote:bobblocks
mesecons (Not the full plugin pack, just the single plugin. It's a dependency of bobblocks, but the full pack causes too much lag on my low power server.)

If you are using v0.0.6 of BobBlocks, edit blocks.lua and remove everything (all the way to the end of the file) below the following lines:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
-- MESECON
-- Add jeija to bobblocks\default.txt and paste the below in at the bottom of bobblocks\blocks.lua

and then remove mesecons from the depends.txt file. This will remove the switching ability and you won't need the mesecons mod anymore. v0.0.7 gets a little more tricky, however you can remove all instances of the following and it'll revert back to a non-dependency.

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
mesecons = {conductor={
            state = mesecon.state.on,
            offstate = "bobblocks:redblock_off"
        }}

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:58

Bearbar123 wrote:Yea, you, 0gb, Jo, and Adarqet, since i'm building the castle mostly i'm claiming the queenship

you should make a king statue out of cobble to represent the late king
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Adarqet

by Adarqet » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:56

i shall be the mercernary or the Guard.
Guns don't kill people, Lag kills people.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 13:29

I am a noble explorer. Bearbar123 when I come on please share the area with me or 0gb could change the code to have the area shared with me since we aren't really on at the same time. Also 0gb could you dive me a download link of your warp mod
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Wed Jan 30, 2013 02:36

RabbiBob wrote:...

Well this is embarrassing. Due to the server's new mostly vanilla status, bobblocks is no longer installed. Bobblocks is definitely one of may favourites because it is so simple and adds more lighting options, and trap grass is fun to play with, but it is not vanilla enough to use in this new world. I am sorry.

I'll have to keep that in mind for future worlds though. There are certain staples that are nice to have on most worlds, and bobblocks is one of them.

jojoa1997 wrote:Also 0gb could you dive me a download link of your warp mod

I have told you countless times in the in-game chat that the warping thing is not finished, and not ready for release. Also as I said, the problem is Windows compatibility. You run Windows, so my non-compatible work in progress is not compatible with your system, and is no good to you.

I was going to release a Linux-only version soon, for until I could find a Windows solution, but after our last conversation, I don't think that is a good idea. I told you about one of the biggest flaws in the current version when used on Windows, which is a flaw easily exploited by trolls to do major damage. You insisted that it was okay, and that you plan to install it anyway on your Windows system. Clearly, I cannot trust people to take "not compatible" for an answer, and I refuse to be responsible for knowingly providing a tool for trolls. I'm tired of arguing. That plugin is now for my server's use only, and will not be released at any time in the foreseeable future.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 02:43

0gb.us wrote:
RabbiBob wrote:...

Well this is embarrassing. Due to the server's new mostly vanilla status, bobblocks is no longer installed. Bobblocks is definitely one of may favourites because it is so simple and adds more lighting options, and trap grass is fun to play with, but it is not vanilla enough to use in this new world. I am sorry.

I'll have to keep that in mind for future worlds though. There are certain staples that are nice to have on most worlds, and bobblocks is one of them.

jojoa1997 wrote:Also 0gb could you dive me a download link of your warp mod

I have told you countless times in the in-game chat that the warping thing is not finished, and not ready for release. Also as I said, the problem is Windows compatibility. You run Windows, so my non-compatible work in progress is not compatible with your system, and is no good to you.

I was going to release a Linux-only version soon, for until I could find a Windows solution, but after our last conversation, I don't think that is a good idea. I told you about one of the biggest flaws in the current version when used on Windows, which is a flaw easily exploited by trolls to do major damage. You insisted that it was okay, and that you plan to install it anyway on your Windows system. Clearly, I cannot trust people to take "not compatible" for an answer, and I refuse to be responsible for knowingly providing a tool for trolls. I'm tired of arguing. That plugin is now for my server's use only, and will not be released at any time in the foreseeable future.

first of all i wasnt thinking about other people taking advantage of it. i forgot people would do stuff like that. i was thinking it would be by accident. second i posted that before we had the discussion. third what about saving the info in the player file or is that case insensitive too.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Wed Jan 30, 2013 03:34

jojoa1997 wrote:first of all i wasnt thinking about other people taking advantage of it. i forgot people would do stuff like that. i was thinking it would be by accident. second i posted that before we had the discussion. third what about saving the info in the player file or is that case insensitive too.

No worries. It's not your fault, it just a reminder of why I shouldn't release it.

Minetest uses an awesome but hacky workaround that makes things work, despite Windows's case insensitivity. I actually stumbled upon it on accident when renaming files on Ubuntu, but that is neither here nor there.

I don't think data can be appended to the player files without making them unreadable to Minetest. Also, getting the data back out to use would be a pain.

Minetest's hacky workaround involves keeping exsra stuff in memory to keep it as clean as it is though, so I can't use the same thing while keeping the minimal memory stance the warps currently work with (they load a player's warp points when they log in, and unload them when they log out).

I'm currently considering an even hackier workaround, but that has issues as well. I don't want to use hacky workarounds on Linux, where they aren't needed, as they take extra processing power, an make the file names messy. I can easily detect this by creating a file, then checking for the presence of a FILE. But then, worlds created on Windows will not be compatible with Linux, further hampering compatibility. What to do, what to do ... Then again, Linux worlds already can't be directly transferred to Windows anyway, if there is a player named "Example" and another player named "eXAMPLE". So maybe this is good enough.

Speaking of hacky workarounds, I'm tired of hacking the skins file. So it's not going to happen any more. I've created a list of users with custom skins, which is imposed on every server restart (the server is restarted daily to back up the data). So if you have had a custom skin installed, or will in the future, and you take it off, you will later revert back to the custom skin. If you want to take it off for good, let me know and I will install the skin and remove your name from the custom skin list. If any of that was unclear, it mostly doesn't matter. Custom skins are still available.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 04:02

what about getting the players name and password in the file. then there wont be any messups in case sensitivity. also if someone knows my password then they could log in and use the warps anyways
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Wed Jan 30, 2013 05:11

jojoa1997 wrote:what about getting the players name and password in the file. then there wont be any messups in case sensitivity. also if someone knows my password then they could log in and use the warps anyways

The problem is case sensitivity in file names. Also, if a user changes their password, they would then lose their warp points.

In other news, skin changing is now disabled for users who have a custom skin. It's less hacky that way.

Adarqet

by Adarqet » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:48

i sent you new private skins 0gb okay?

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:40

jojoa1997 wrote:what about getting the players name and password in the file. then there wont be any messups in case sensitivity. also if someone knows my password then they could log in and use the warps anyways

No, since the file with their LIST of warps is named by their name, and that way, it is case-insensitive, so Rarkenin and rARKENIN would wither steal warp points or mess everything up.

To 0gb_us: Have you thought about implementing a cryptographic hash?
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Thu Jan 31, 2013 05:59

Adarqet wrote:i sent you new private skins 0gb okay?

Installed.

rarkenin wrote:

No, since the file with their LIST of warps is named by their name, and that way, it is case-insensitive, so Rarkenin and rARKENIN would wither steal warp points or mess everything up.

To 0gb_us: Have you thought about implementing a cryptographic hash?

No, but no need. I've created a new plugin, filesystems_0gb_us, which should do the trick. While not perfect, it provides a sort of pseudo-case sensitivity. If it finds an INIT.LUA (only init.lua should exist), it switches to Windows workaround mode, and translates every character in the file name into a two-character representation, allowing "a" to become "-a", and "A" to become "+A". Because Linux actually functions in a reasonable manner, this translation is not performed on Linux operating systems by default, but can be activated by adding an INIT.LUA to the plugin's directory.

This still won't be released for some time. There is still much to do to clean these things up.

Besides, isn't there a slim chance of hash collisions? Also, hashing can be slow (I think). teleport_0gb_us depends on points_0gb_us, which sometimes rapidly changes the file, and would need to rehash the name each time (I'm not keeping the hash in memory).

Adarqet

by Adarqet » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:02

Now The Green Hornet and Kato shall protect his server!!!

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 15:19

0gb.us wrote:No, but no need. I've created a new plugin, filesystems_0gb_us, which should do the trick. While not perfect, it provides a sort of pseudo-case sensitivity. If it finds an INIT.LUA (only init.lua should exist), it switches to Windows workaround mode, and translates every character in the file name into a two-character representation, allowing "a" to become "-a", and "A" to become "+A". Because Linux actually functions in a reasonable manner, this translation is not performed on Linux operating systems by default, but can be activated by adding an INIT.LUA to the plugin's directory.

If the hash does collide, you would be insanely famous in the crypto community. It's also quite small, anywhere from 16 to 64 bytes. If you DO keep it in memory, you don't need to rehash each time the file is updated.

You should also make filesystems_0gb_us an API for other mods. I'm assuming usernames don't allow + and - in Minetest.
Last edited by rarkenin on Thu Jan 31, 2013 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Thu Jan 31, 2013 19:01

rarkenin wrote:
0gb.us wrote:No, but no need. I've created a new plugin, filesystems_0gb_us, which should do the trick. While not perfect, it provides a sort of pseudo-case sensitivity. If it finds an INIT.LUA (only init.lua should exist), it switches to Windows workaround mode, and translates every character in the file name into a two-character representation, allowing "a" to become "-a", and "A" to become "+A". Because Linux actually functions in a reasonable manner, this translation is not performed on Linux operating systems by default, but can be activated by adding an INIT.LUA to the plugin's directory.

If the hash does collide, you would be insanely famous in the crypto community. It's also quite small, anywhere from 16 to 64 bytes. If you DO keep it in memory, you don't need to rehash each time the file is updated.

You should also make filesystems_0gb_us an API for other mods. I'm assuming user names don't allow + and - in Minetest.

I understand IF I keep them in memory I can reuse the hashes. My whole point is that I'm not doing it. The reason I'm using separate files for each user is to keep memory usage to a minimum. I can load a user's file when they log in, and unload it when they log out.

The maximum mangled user name with my system would be 38 bytes. More than 16 bytes, but less than 64. And that's just the maximum. The minimum would be two byes, and my six character name would be twelve byes..

filesystems_0gb_us is ALREADY an API for other plugins. It's entire purpose is to define a single function to make file names work on the Windows operating system without needing to reinvent the feature each time I need it, as I need it for three plugins already. Just out of curiosity, what did you think it was doing to make other plugins "compatible", if not defining an API?

0gb.us wrote:... it switches to Windows workaround mode, and translates every character in the file name into a two-character representation ,..

The minus character is allowed in user names, but it doesn't matter. I said EVERY character is converted to a two character representation, it's not just alphabetic characters. + becomes ++, and - becomes --. All non-alphabetic characters are doubled. This seems like a needless extension of file names, but I disagree. This makes it very easy for a script to go through and translate them back for use on file systems that actually work correctly. All the script has to do is keep every other character, throwing out the others. Furthermore, this is just a workaround to make sure suborn Windows users don't take my non-compatible plugin and screw up their game worlds. If people want user friendly file names, they should quit using an operating system that is so un- user friendly in every way. This isn't meant to be a compatibility fix. Mangled names, especially irreversibly mangled by hashing, is too hacky a method to be considered "compatible". The only goal here is to not be responsible for data loss/data manipulation. Windows users STILL should not install these, and they DO raise errors when run on Windows. For the time being, I don't know how to fix that.

Besides, does Lua have any hashing functions? I couldn't find any.

Bearbar123

by Bearbar123 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 04:11

Jo, the castle is done but the interior and two and half castle towers, i'll start on the towers tomorrow, you can do the library anytime, and also tomorrow i'll start on 0gb's noble house, then Chows then yours the Ada's

george_souza

by george_souza » Sat Feb 02, 2013 04:21

I can privs? my name is MrLordi
MineTest Brazil

Adarqet

by Adarqet » Sat Feb 02, 2013 13:00

There seems to be a problem on the server i cant join the server!!!!!!

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Sat Feb 02, 2013 13:33

george_souza wrote:I can privs? my name is MrLordi

You already have all the privs that are available. You can dig, and place blocks, and chat.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Sat Feb 02, 2013 13:37

Adarqet wrote:There seems to be a problem on the server i cant join the server!!!!!!

I can't connect to the server myself, nor can I connect to http://0gb.us. This is probably an internet connection issue.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 13:53

rarkenin wrote:
Adarqet wrote:There seems to be a problem on the server i cant join the server!!!!!!

I can't connect to the server myself, nor can I connect to http://0gb.us. This is probably an internet connection issue.
it seems that his server is down. it is not on thew multiplayer list and that shows only the up ones
Last edited by jojoa1997 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Sat Feb 02, 2013 14:09

jojoa1997 wrote:
rarkenin wrote:

it seems that his server is down. it is not on thew multiplayer list and that shows only the up ones

The multiplayer list shows a set of servers registered on the official servers page. That has nothing to do with his server's uptime. With that said, he IS down again, in the same fashion as the previous outage.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 14:15

rarkenin wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:
rarkenin wrote:

The multiplayer list shows a set of servers registered on the official servers page. That has nothing to do with his server's uptime. With that said, he IS down again, in the same fashion as the previous outage.
but the thing is that 0gb's server is on the list so i use that to tell wether his server or my server is down.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest Servers