segestions for vps

stormchaser3000

segestions for vps

by stormchaser3000 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 01:45

hi people i was wondering is anyone knew of any good vps i could use and for that matter anyone can use. i don't want to use host1free and i want like 3 or 4 servers up. i can't host them from my computer because my computer is like 2 gigs of rams um a few gig hard drive and at least 500hz and a i1 core (i think), and my internet can't port forward corectly. my operating system is likux ubuntu 10.04 lucid (i need to update) and yeah.

EDIT if this is not suposed to be in the servers forum tell me.
Last edited by stormchaser3000 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 03:30, edited 1 time in total.

BrandonReese

GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Mon Jan 13, 2014 03:40

I initially hosted Landrush on a BuyVM.net server. It worked, wasn't fast but it was playable with < 10 people, more than 12-15 it got really bad, and that was before I installed Technic, I think you might have been on there in the early days.

Don't use BudgetVM.com. Once minetestserver hits 100% CPU for a while the node your VPS is on will kill the process. I'm sure it's just a measure to protect the performance of their oversold nodes.

I used BurstNet for a while, it was decent for a budget VPS, similar performance to buyvm, but it seemed their network wasn't as stable as BuyVM.

Any other VPS providers I currently use don't allow game servers on their VPSes. Read the Acceptable Use Policy for any provider you look into, because there are some providers that will explicitly say you cannot use their service for game servers among other things.

stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 00:56

BrandonReese wrote:I initially hosted Landrush on a BuyVM.net server. It worked, wasn't fast but it was playable with < 10 people, more than 12-15 it got really bad, and that was before I installed Technic, I think you might have been on there in the early days.

Don't use BudgetVM.com. Once minetestserver hits 100% CPU for a while the node your VPS is on will kill the process. I'm sure it's just a measure to protect the performance of their oversold nodes.

I used BurstNet for a while, it was decent for a budget VPS, similar performance to buyvm, but it seemed their network wasn't as stable as BuyVM.

Any other VPS providers I currently use don't allow game servers on their VPSes. Read the Acceptable Use Policy for any provider you look into, because there are some providers that will explicitly say you cannot use their service for game servers among other things.

ok that might be a good idea but i want like 4 servers up i might just get a new computer an internet and start a serer from the computer

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 06:28

stormchaser3000 wrote:
BrandonReese wrote:I initially hosted Landrush on a BuyVM.net server. It worked, wasn't fast but it was playable with < 10 people, more than 12-15 it got really bad, and that was before I installed Technic, I think you might have been on there in the early days.

ok that might be a good idea but i want like 4 servers up i might just get a new computer an internet and start a serer from the computer

You should still consider using a VPS, home internet usually has dynamic IPs with forced disconnect once a day.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

aracnus

GitHub: aracnus
IRC: aracnus
In-game: aracnus

by aracnus » Tue Jan 14, 2014 09:12

I would like to know about a good VPS too. And guess that we should have a list with good and bad ones (to help other people that want to create servers).

CWz

by CWz » Sat Jan 18, 2014 13:56

I tried host1free and got rejected. you probably won't find any good VPS hosts that are free or very cheap.
I am CWz on the following servers: Bluelobster, turtletango, VanessaE's servers, linuxgaming, redcrab, Silvercrab, ChainLynx, lord of the test server. If you see CWz on server other then those then chances are it's a Fake. you can contact me on irc.freenode.net or by PM if you are not sure

BrandonReese

GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Sat Jan 18, 2014 15:44

You can run a minetest server on a cheap VPS, and with only a few small mods it will probably be very playable for several people. You can't run 4 worlds on a cheap VPS.

The dynamic IP address from your home shouldn't be a problem if you're server is always on the public server list, it won't work for people's favorites list.

I would say a good VPS to run minetest would be Liquid Web's Storm SSD VPS. I have a Liquid Web server for a client of mine and it is awesome. But their VPSes start at $50 / month, for 1gig of Ram and 1 core. So a little out of most aspiring server admin's budget.

Return to Minetest Servers