[Server] VanessaE's Basic-plus Minetest Server [git/dev]

PenguinDad

GitHub: PenguinDad
IRC: PenguinDad GhostDoge
In-game: PenguinDad

by PenguinDad » Fri Jan 31, 2014 15:58

Could you please install the Sam II skin for me? My ingame name is the same as in the forums.
<Cyndra> Programming properly in C++ feels like putting together a jigsaw puzzle
<Cyndra> where the peices don't fit and the picture doesn't matter.

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Fri Jan 31, 2014 17:42

Actually, Sam II is reserved for later use, since it might eventually become the default game skin some time (and in fact, IS the default skin that I use on the 30000/30001 servers). Mind picking a different one?
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Fri Jan 31, 2014 17:59

Sam II already uses the hat layer for hair.

PenguinDad

GitHub: PenguinDad
IRC: PenguinDad GhostDoge
In-game: PenguinDad

by PenguinDad » Fri Jan 31, 2014 20:33

<Cyndra> Programming properly in C++ feels like putting together a jigsaw puzzle
<Cyndra> where the peices don't fit and the picture doesn't matter.

Geopbyte

by Geopbyte » Sat Feb 01, 2014 02:58

I won't be on for about a week or two; life stuff :( Sorry...

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sat Feb 01, 2014 07:14

Small update: backup schedule adjusted again to try to better coincide with the server's quietest times. It will now occur at 10:00 am UTC (5:00 am EST).

Adarqet

by Adarqet » Sun Feb 09, 2014 00:44

Guns don't kill people, Lag kills people.

xyz32

by xyz32 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 03:05

Hello,
Why do roads just pop out of nowhere on this server. Now I don't mind them but they look "superficial" and a bit lazy :). If you can make them more natural and maybe follow the coast line will make them a lot prettier.

Thank you.

cheapie

GitHub: cheapie
IRC: cheapie
In-game: cheapie

by cheapie » Mon Feb 10, 2014 06:02

xyz32 wrote:Hello,
Why do roads just pop out of nowhere on this server. Now I don't mind them but they look "superficial" and a bit lazy :). If you can make them more natural and maybe follow the coast line will make them a lot prettier.

Thank you.

Roads are built by the community. I know VanessaE and I try to make the roads look at least sort of nice, some others don't and there's not much that we can do about that.
Signature antivirus (Linux only): "grep -iv -- Signature\ virus" (minus the quotes, of course)
Signature goes in stdin, viruses are removed, and cleaned signature comes out on stdout.

twoelk

by twoelk » Mon Feb 10, 2014 13:23

Roads are indeed a more difficult subject than it may seem at first glance.

Frist do keep in mind what their main purpose is, even in a virtuall world. The main roads (and I only speak of those in this reply, although things are similar for other structures) offer a fast and easy mode for travel. If you use "fast" in Minetest without the "fly" privilege your avatar will get easily hurt and navigation is difficult while avoiding naturall barriers in the path. This is why, just as in real life, we often have these speeding highways that are as straight as possible and pay little attention to the contour of the terrain. Look at the server maps and you will easily notice such a speeding highway cross centered at the original spawn or at least very close to it on most servers.

On this server the east road is the only one that is left straight. The north road might terminate at the lake, the south road had to sidepass protected land and the west road also tries to respect allready built structures and landscaped countryside, although it is intended to bring it back to the axis of spawn after the lake. As for the useabilty, the west road shows pretty good how the western end across the little ridge, through the forest, accross the little bay and along the cliff make the speeding aspect of the road pretty useless. Also the construction of this part took way longer than any other part and the concept of the way the path is chosen is difficult to comunicate to builders of different culture, age and a very important fact being the device the players use to play minetest on. It is sometimes anoying how players build something that totally destroys the scenic view, but one forgets that many players indeed cannot see these things as their hardware does not allow longrange views.

That said, please apply to be added to the protected roads and help beautify them. A lot of help is needed. As for the new north road I still have to study that one as it sort of popped up for me ;-).
Last edited by twoelk on Mon Feb 10, 2014 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

xyz32

by xyz32 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 23:42

twoelk wrote:Roads are indeed a more difficult subject than it may seem at first glance.

Frist do keep in mind what their main purpose is, even in a virtuall world. The main roads (and I only speak of those in this reply, although things are similar for other structures) offer a fast and easy mode for travel. If you use "fast" in Minetest without the "fly" privilege your avatar will get easily hurt and navigation is difficult while avoiding naturall barriers in the path. This is why, just as in real life, we often have these speeding highways that are as straight as possible and pay little attention to the contour of the terrain. Look at the server maps and you will easily notice such a speeding highway cross centered at the original spawn or at least very close to it on most servers.

On this server the east road is the only one that is left straight. The north road might terminate at the lake, the south road had to sidepass protected land and the west road also tries to respect allready built structures and landscaped countryside, although it is intended to bring it back to the axis of spawn after the lake. As for the useabilty, the west road shows pretty good how the western end across the little ridge, through the forest, accross the little bay and along the cliff make the speeding aspect of the road pretty useless. Also the construction of this part took way longer than any other part and the concept of the way the path is chosen is difficult to comunicate to builders of different culture, age and a very important fact being the device the players use to play minetest on. It is sometimes anoying how players build something that totally destroys the scenic view, but one forgets that many players indeed cannot see these things as their hardware does not allow longrange views.

That said, please apply to be added to the protected roads and help beautify them. A lot of help is needed. As for the new north road I still have to study that one as it sort of popped up for me ;-).

Thank you for the reply.
I agree with you on the usefulness of the roads, it is just the north going road that just floats in mid air and does not really go anywhere that I mind. It looks so artificial.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Tue Feb 11, 2014 01:23

That north road ("Angels Lane", named for the first person's house that was built along it) is brand new, I just laid the roadbed the other day and haven't put the rest of it in yet. I put it in to make the northern shore of that lake more accessible.

xyz32

by xyz32 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:07

VanessaE wrote:That north road ("Angels Lane", named for the first person's house that was built along it) is brand new, I just laid the roadbed the other day and haven't put the rest of it in yet. I put it in to make the northern shore of that lake more accessible.

Well again I don't doubt the functionality of the road, but it looks so artificial, and it sort of ruins the lake.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Tue Feb 11, 2014 17:01

Well it's since been finished and I think it looks just fine the way it is now. Besides, the lake's so big, you can't see one shore from the other, or the bridge from either the east or west shores, and *anything* a person builds could be defined as "artificial", so :P

Daven

by Daven » Thu Feb 13, 2014 17:27

For all the Parkour lovers. The Parkour Park is OPEN. You don't have to pay it's all free. When I get in the gam today. I, myself will officially announce and open it. I will be on maybe in like a hour or two. Who would be the first one to try it out? It could be you. Make sure you come on.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Thu Feb 13, 2014 19:54

xyz32 wrote:Well again I don't doubt the functionality of the road, but it looks so artificial, and it sort of ruins the lake.

Go to VanessaEs survival server. We are more concerned about preserving the landscape there, and mods like moretrees and undergrowth etc. add to a beautiful landscape. Though even there, roads are mainly means to get from a to b and to build alongside. And not all...griefings...of nature can be prevented.
A list of my mods can be found here.

hassage

IRC: hassage
In-game: hassage

by hassage » Sat Feb 15, 2014 21:59

Can I have interact please? I have read the rules. Sorry if i make mistakes. English is not my maternal language.

Bearbar123

by Bearbar123 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 20:13

Can i have this skin on the server, play name is the same as here:

http://www.minecraftskins.com/skin/3627635/cute-girl-forest-element/
Hello I am a random panda

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Mon Feb 17, 2014 06:29

Interact granted for hassage and skin installed for Bearbar123.

stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 21:21

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
<VE-Minetest> <stormchaser3000> i am at 65, -6737, -214748 or was i am now lower and i am so far out the mapgen is not generating

yeah it happened HOW ON EARTH THOUGH I JUST PLACED DEFAULT:DESERT_SAND and i teleported off the map

CWz

by CWz » Wed Feb 26, 2014 09:28

stormchaser3000 wrote:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
<VE-Minetest> <stormchaser3000> i am at 65, -6737, -214748 or was i am now lower and i am so far out the mapgen is not generating

yeah it happened HOW ON EARTH THOUGH I JUST PLACED DEFAULT:DESERT_SAND and i teleported off the map

it's a bug, never happened to me though. I will try it too.
I am CWz on the following servers: Bluelobster, turtletango, VanessaE's servers, linuxgaming, redcrab, Silvercrab, ChainLynx, lord of the test server. If you see CWz on server other then those then chances are it's a Fake. you can contact me on irc.freenode.net or by PM if you are not sure

TheSwagBeast

by TheSwagBeast » Thu Feb 27, 2014 19:10

Can I have interact please?

PeterPanda

by PeterPanda » Thu Feb 27, 2014 19:20

Hey I was wondering if my you could gimme this skin. Thanks.
http://minecraft.novaskin.me/skin/3508130/Boy-with-panda-hoodie

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Thu Feb 27, 2014 20:01

If positioning glitches happen like that I can guarantee you it's not intentional - it's some kind of weird bug in the server or client. In fact it used to happen quite easily by abusing the trampolines on the Survival and Creative servers - they could be tricked into sending you out into the stratosphere ;-)

If it happens, just do /spawn or /home (assuming you've set one) to get back to somewhere sane.

Meanwhile, skin installed for PeterPanda and interact granted for TheSwagBeast.

TheSwagBeast

by TheSwagBeast » Sat Mar 01, 2014 20:16

Can I have some help with Land Ownership please? Not sure about co-ords, and I don't think an Admin/Moderator is online atm.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Mar 01, 2014 21:06

The easiest way is to craft markers. Craft them like this:
nothing - stick - nothing
nothing - apple - nothing
nothing - stick - nothing

Place a marker at each end of the area you want. Then right-click on the last marker you placed, fill out the formspec - and the area will be protected. Unless you ran out of areas you can self-protect - in which case you'll need a moderator.
A list of my mods can be found here.

kevin.hartman2

by kevin.hartman2 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 18:05

May you apply my skin please Vanesse as this is the skin i use on my other mc servers

http://s4.postimg.org/hr3mzfps9/syn_HDASF.png
Last edited by kevin.hartman2 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

Bearbar123

by Bearbar123 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 03:01

Hello I am a random panda

John1

by John1 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 01:29

I haven't logged in for a few months, and now it seems either I forgot my password or it was reset. Also, logging in with another name, I found that my house at 1,8,327 was claimed by someone else, even though I had already claimed it. Some help with these issues would be appreciated. Ingame name is "John"
Last edited by John1 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 01:30, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Fri Mar 14, 2014 03:54

Discussed in IRC and fixed it up. John1 got caught up in the case-insensitive usernames mod. Resolved both issues amicably. :-)

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest Servers