Xanadu Server

maikerumine

GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

Re: Xanadu Server

by maikerumine » Mon May 02, 2016 22:59

Johnny Joy wrote:Actually I was more interested in your desire to prevent anyone from using the map. It was not about early life lessons about moving on. That is completely aside. You were clear that the only things preventing you from sharing the map with someone was that you could not share the lua code and textures, both can be dealt with. And, database corruption is something I can easily deal with. What I was interested was a reason beyond "because".

It comes down the fact that you are unwilling to share something that people would clearly enjoy, and wouldn't harm you in any way to share. That's all.

TenPlus1 wrote:My sentiments exactly auouymous, Xanadu has been reborn and our original cast are building new memories. The old map files are gone as they were corrupt (hence the restart)...

Johnny Joy: As for your daughter's login name, it's just a name, it bears no reflection to the person within... Let her sign on with a new name and make better memories...

Corrupt or not, I think it is a bad move to hold back the map. After all, those were others creations, not the server owners. If my server ever needs to go down, your rest assured the map will be free for anybody to explore.

Overprotective for what? what could be the secret hidden in the old map. The choice it obviously theirs.

Glorfindel

GitHub: the1glorfindel
IRC: Glorfindel DoomWeaver
In-game: Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Mon May 02, 2016 23:12

all of which is irrelevant as there is no backup of the old map to share anyway.

Johnny Joy

GitHub: johnnyjoy
In-game: jjb

by Johnny Joy » Mon May 02, 2016 23:53

You are the first to say this. How do you know?

Glorfindel wrote:all of which is irrelevant as there is no backup of the old map to share anyway.

Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Tue May 03, 2016 01:04

Educated guess.
The server's entire drive was wiped, absolutely no reason to backup an old map that is corrupt, especially as he couldn't share because of textures etc.

Also, just about every single one of the top builders (i.e. bonny ice phi iska etc) were looking forward to a new start. So no, TenPlus1 didn't wipe the map for any underhanded kniving vicious goals of his own.

Fredrick01

IRC: Fredrick
In-game: Fredrick

by Fredrick01 » Tue May 03, 2016 01:10

Glorfindel wrote:Educated guess.
The server's entire drive was wiped, absolutely no reason to backup an old map that is corrupt, especially as he couldn't share because of textures etc.

Also, just about every single one of the top builders (i.e. bonny ice phi iska etc) were looking forward to a new start. So no, TenPlus1 didn't wipe the map for any underhanded kniving vicious goals of his own.

Well, Phi somehow had access to the old map, whether that be a personal backup that he saved somehow, or Ten/Shinji lending it to him, I don't know; but there was one time when he was telling bonny, Ice and I about how he took a stroll through the old map.

And I don't believe that Ten would necessarily do something vicious or underhanded, I don't think that's exactly what jjb means? He just feels like the excuses that Ten has given him weren't completely truthful and that's bothering him (if I understand what he said correctly)

Fredrick01

IRC: Fredrick
In-game: Fredrick

by Fredrick01 » Tue May 03, 2016 01:20

Also, let's make sure this doesn't become a full-blown argument. We don't need that in this forum. If you *really* want to make a big deal of this, then go make a separate forum to argue it out, but it doesn't need to happen here. I think we can all agree on that. The point of jjb bringing this up isn't to make a big deal of it, it's just him letting the admins know what he's thinking, and giving the players of Xanadu a chance to voice their opinions too and know what's going on. So let's try to keep it to *just* that.

Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Tue May 03, 2016 01:24

Fredrick01 wrote:Well, Phi somehow had access to the old map, whether that be a personal backup that he saved somehow, or Ten/Shinji lending it to him, I don't know; but there was one time when he was telling bonny, Ice and I about how he took a stroll through the old map.

And I don't believe that Ten would necessarily do something vicious or underhanded, I don't think that's exactly what jjb means? He just feels like the excuses that Ten has given him weren't completely truthful and that's bothering him (if I understand what he said correctly)

I'd say personal backup, it's very easy to do, I have most of noobville saved as well as spawn areas.

Sorry if I can't across a little strong there, but I personally find it rather silly to carry on about it. ten said no, that's enough for me. Reasons are nice but don't change the answer.

Killerz

In-game: Killerz

by Killerz » Tue May 03, 2016 08:04

screenshot_20160503_132015.png
screenshot_20160503_132015.png (1003.71 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
To break the tense mood, here is a screenshot of a laser- hill found
EDM For the win!

Vassy - Secrets = LIFE

Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Tue May 03, 2016 12:43

what's a laser hill?

Johnny Joy

by Johnny Joy » Tue May 03, 2016 18:30

I understand your point of view. I really do. These are two different topics.

1. Why not release the server?

and

2. Why indicate that it is possible, except that there are some obstacles, when that is not the reason.

On topic 1. I have all but given up. One day things might change. I cannot imagine it could do any harm and it would make people happy, so there is zero valid reasons for not opening it up. It reminds of when I lived in Orange Country California and went to a nice little pool bar for lunch with coworkers. One rather stuff lady from work notices that some people in the pool bar had tattoos. Imagine that. She said "Tattoos should be illegal." with enough disgust that you would think that tattoo meant murder. I said "I'm not interested in getting a tattoo, but if it makes somebody else happy, and doesn't harm others, then it's a good thing." My simple view of the world is that if I can make somebody happy and it costs be nothing, then why not. Even more so when I only have to not do something, like outlawing tattoos. So, clearly TanPlus1 can make many of his friends happy, and it costs him nothing. I've heard his tone and I do not expect him to change his mind. So, I'm not going to actually pursue this, but if he changes him mind he will make many people happy.

On topic 2. I am disappointed by being mislead by being told that the only obstacles to overcome where some lua code and some textures, and once I said that was not much of a problem I was told there was also some database corruption. After I indicated that I have 30 years experience recovering data from destroyed databases. So, what I would really like it an honest answer, even if it is simply "I don't wanna, and I am not going to give a reason." Then I would have to respect that since TenPlus1 has earned that.

It goes without saying that TenPlus1 is the heart not only of Xanadu, but in many ways Minetest. A car might have a great engine, drive train, and wheels, but without a great body, console, steering wheel, and seats, it's nothing. Minetest provides the engines, but TenPlus1 provides everything else, and without his work Minetest would not be as worth while, and the adoption would be far lower. He is not the only one doing this, sure, but in my opinion he does it a little better.

Glorfindel wrote:
Fredrick01 wrote:Well, Phi somehow had access to the old map, whether that be a personal backup that he saved somehow, or Ten/Shinji lending it to him, I don't know; but there was one time when he was telling bonny, Ice and I about how he took a stroll through the old map.

I'd say personal backup, it's very easy to do, I have most of noobville saved as well as spawn areas.

Sorry if I can't across a little strong there, but I personally find it rather silly to carry on about it. ten said no, that's enough for me. Reasons are nice but don't change the answer.

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Tue May 03, 2016 20:15

Most of what players already have glimpsed from the old map was obtained by using the local map saving function in minetest itself (enable_local_map_saving = true) as well as numerous screenshots taken before reset to remember what was there :)

Glorfindel is correct in that with the new server came a full format and nothing was kept of the old apart from a minetest.conf file with tweaked settings... Even the mods were reworked to work with the latest 0.4.13 dev version that was installed to make things run smoother.

As for the backups, the old map was huge, 35gb and then some and since it was so corrupt at the end we saw fit to delete these files to save space for the new backup files which are steadily growing daily.

Killerz

by Killerz » Wed May 04, 2016 03:47

Glorfindel a laser hill is a hill which looks like it has been man-made, and laser cut from the ground.
EDM For the win!

Vassy - Secrets = LIFE

Killerz

by Killerz » Wed May 04, 2016 09:10

can i have a big plot in the white path(around 40x75) for a Victorian mansion? i made it on mc, the picture is in the attachment.
Attachments
castle to build.PNG
castle to build.PNG (174.21 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
EDM For the win!

Vassy - Secrets = LIFE

Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Wed May 04, 2016 13:55

Killerz wrote:Glorfindel a laser hill is a hill which looks like it has been man-made, and laser cut from the ground.

Ahhh, I see.

Johnny Joy

by Johnny Joy » Wed May 04, 2016 15:37

That settles it. If it's deleted it's deleted.

Thanks.

TenPlus1 wrote:Most of what players already have glimpsed from the old map was obtained by using the local map saving function in minetest itself (enable_local_map_saving = true) as well as numerous screenshots taken before reset to remember what was there :)

Glorfindel is correct in that with the new server came a full format and nothing was kept of the old apart from a minetest.conf file with tweaked settings... Even the mods were reworked to work with the latest 0.4.13 dev version that was installed to make things run smoother.

As for the backups, the old map was huge, 35gb and then some and since it was so corrupt at the end we saw fit to delete these files to save space for the new backup files which are steadily growing daily.

Killerz

by Killerz » Wed May 04, 2016 15:56

Hey ten can i have this skin?
Attachments
download.png
download.png (4.53 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
EDM For the win!

Vassy - Secrets = LIFE

IceAgeComing

by IceAgeComing » Wed May 04, 2016 17:31

Killerz wrote:can i have a big plot in the white path(around 40x75) for a Victorian mansion? i made it on mc, the picture is in the attachment.

Thank you for your interest, but this exact building in this picture has been done already by crafterlouie in last Xanadu map. Its very popular minecraft building, lots of ppl have done their versions of it. :D I think louie making something like this on white path already.

Maybe you can think of something else? Also i would love to see your other buildings. :)

mystik

GitHub: jasonjayr
In-game: mystik

by mystik » Wed May 04, 2016 19:48

Johnny Joy wrote:That settles it. If it's deleted it's deleted.

On that note, I am soliciting any map save files folks may have had of the old map file. I have a tool that can merge in multiple mapsaves into one master copy. My interest in this data is to try to create a complete surface map (which can be seen here)

If you have clean data from the old server (regardless of vintage or size), get in touch with me via private message, and we can arrange a way to transport it to me to be merged in. I've already had a number of sizable contributions, which has helped me get it to (roughly) 500mb.

Killerz

by Killerz » Thu May 05, 2016 03:53

Ok, ill think of some other mansion/castle to build.
That mansion itself took a lot of inspiration,If nothing comes to my mind i
will probably look at a few designs on the net.
EDM For the win!

Vassy - Secrets = LIFE

minetestjosh

by minetestjosh » Thu May 05, 2016 05:41

mystik wrote:
Johnny Joy wrote:That settles it. If it's deleted it's deleted.

On that note, I am soliciting any map save files folks may have had of the old map file. I have a tool that can merge in multiple mapsaves into one master copy. My interest in this data is to try to create a complete surface map (which can be seen here)

If you have clean data from the old server (regardless of vintage or size), get in touch with me via private message, and we can arrange a way to transport it to me to be merged in. I've already had a number of sizable contributions, which has helped me get it to (roughly) 500mb.

I wish I knew about enable_local_map_saving. I traveled extensively and toured the entire Xanadu spawn maps for many days, I bet I would've had a relatively "complete" save. Sadly I have nothing but meager screenshots to provide, most of which have already been posted in this thread anyway...

Killerz

by Killerz » Thu May 05, 2016 08:59

zack swore and no mod was on,i took a screenshot
Attachments
screenshot_20160505_142218.png
screenshot_20160505_142218.png (325.3 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
EDM For the win!

Vassy - Secrets = LIFE

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Thu May 05, 2016 09:25

Looks like the swear filter caught him and kicked him offline, but if he persists a limit is coming his way.
Attachments
character_912.png.png
character_912.png.png (753 Bytes) Viewed 2991 times
Last edited by TenPlus1 on Sat May 07, 2016 09:51, edited 2 times in total.

mystik

GitHub: jasonjayr
In-game: mystik

by mystik » Thu May 05, 2016 13:23

Someone Wrote hi on top of the lucky blocks arena ....

Texan

In-game: Texan

by Texan » Fri May 06, 2016 18:44

That map itself is amazing, mystik!!
-- Texan :)

Killerz

by Killerz » Sat May 07, 2016 06:52

This is what 95 bunnies in 1 room look like
Attachments
screenshot_20160507_121858.png
screenshot_20160507_121858.png (473.62 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
EDM For the win!

Vassy - Secrets = LIFE

Killerz

by Killerz » Sat May 07, 2016 07:19

Is the server down? i cant log in.
Edit:nvm
EDM For the win!

Vassy - Secrets = LIFE

noob101

In-game: noob101

by noob101 » Sat May 07, 2016 07:46

Killerz wrote:This is what 95 bunnies in 1 room look like

Could you hold a carrot for us please? XD

Have fun, noob101

Killerz

by Killerz » Sat May 07, 2016 07:53

Rofl noob
EDM For the win!

Vassy - Secrets = LIFE

Killerz

by Killerz » Sun May 08, 2016 09:49

New type of mob found- the killer-josh
Attachments
screenshot_20160508_151752.png
screenshot_20160508_151752.png (477.14 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
EDM For the win!

Vassy - Secrets = LIFE

minetestjosh

by minetestjosh » Sun May 08, 2016 10:51

killerz found a 15x rainbow nyan! And I found one with 7 literally 10 minutes before he did!

Epic mining adventure.
Attachments
screenshot_20160508_033211.png
screenshot_20160508_033211.png (338.53 KiB) Viewed 2991 times

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest Servers