[Mod] Erosion [1.0][erosion]

paramat

GitHub: paramat

Re: [Mod]Erosion[1.0][erosion]

by paramat » Mon Nov 07, 2016 13:00

Yes the 'mapgen object heightmap' is only availabe in 'on generated'. However it's simple to reproduce in lua, it just registers the highest walkable node in each column, while searching from top to bottom.

The use of WTFPL in mods is a bad habit, we strongly recommend MIT instead.

Chiu ChunLing

Re: [Mod]Erosion[1.0][erosion]

by Chiu ChunLing » Mon Nov 07, 2016 15:07

That's good then. MIT seemed like the easiest option.

Yeah, searching for the highest walkable node would work but it isn't fast...which may not matter as much for the chatcommand function but it was becoming enough of a concern for the on_generated that I'm not eager to make things slower. I'm content with the terrain produced by the actual erosion rules. Also, I couldn't get rid of that problem with the suspended stone catwalks appearing when using the chat command at the surface anyway (without making the function less effective underground, which is where I really wanted to use it).

I'm generally pretty happy with where the functionality is now, though I guess the code needs to be cleaned and documented.

Chiu ChunLing

Re: [Mod] Erosion [1.0][erosion]

by Chiu ChunLing » Tue Nov 15, 2016 16:11

By the way, while I have currently run low on revisions I regard as necessary and useful (partly due to some of the things I wanted to do turning out to have performance issues in testing and partly because of other difficulties), I don't consider development of this closed. If there is significant interest in supporting other mods (for instance, working with the additional grass/stone nodes introduced by Ethereal or other such mods), or in revising the code to be more maintainable for other members of the community (such as by clarifying comments or restructuring), I would be happy to make revisions.

For now, I'm not sufficiently bothered about some blocks not being affected nor do I have any real idea which parts of my code are sufficiently unclear to be difficult for others to maintain or modify (I've tried to fix parts I knew were confusing...but I'm not good at knowing what's going to confuse people).

So if there are things about the current behavior or coding of the mod you think clearly need to be fixed, feel free to mention them (that doesn't ensure I'll be free to actually fix them, but probably there are things I could fix if I knew they needed it).

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Sun Nov 20, 2016 01:05

Chiu ChunLing

by Chiu ChunLing » Mon Nov 21, 2016 00:29

Hmmm...I hadn't. My looking for an erosion-like mod was somewhat cursory, and mostly concentrated on the erosion mechanic, not the world-gen (after all, I didn't initially plan to do any world-gen stuff).

The utilities look interesting. They don't place the sideways slopes, though. That's something I wanted for the cave/cliff generation.

Previous

Return to Mod Releases