[Modpack] Animals Modpack [2.5] -- 2.6 approaching

Neuromancer

GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Wed Aug 29, 2012 23:27

rubenwardy wrote:Is there a command to delete all animals? There is a vombie stuck somewhere in my house, maybe in a block, and it is really annoying me.

Sorry but this is hilarious. Just glad it isn't me. :)

Temperest

GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Thu Aug 30, 2012 00:17

Be careful with /clearobjects, though, this will remove ALL objects. That means every animal, in every farm, every crop (that is an entity), every minecart, etc., on every chunk of the map, regardless of whether they are currently loaded or not.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

Qaddosh

by Qaddosh » Thu Aug 30, 2012 00:36

sapier wrote:@Lelix as of animals mod 1.3.2 you can use it with 0.4.1 too by adding following line to your minetest.conf
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
disable_animals_3d_mode = true

That's handy for those of us who don't need or want 3D animals for various reasons.
Do you have a 2D wolf model? The mod is complaining that there is no 2D wolf model when I set this in my conf.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 09:42

Have a look at this, Sapier.

https://github.com/philnelson/A-Star-Pathfinding-For-Lua

This could improve your pathfinding loads, if it is compatible

Also, you should use GitHub. It is much better the MediaFire (Plagued with Malware and Viruses)
Last edited by rubenwardy on Thu Aug 30, 2012 09:43, edited 1 time in total.

sapier

by sapier » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:57

@rubenwardy thanks for the info. By now there ain't a real path based movement gen in animals mod. Currently movement is random only. Pathfinding is planed for future releases for some time but I didn't have time to implement.
Looks like a 2D pathfinding algorithm but I'll have a closer look at it when implementing path based movement.

@ALL the "hang" Bug mentioned by PilzAdam is related to performance. It's related to collision handling as I guessed before but not the way I thought. Reason why minetest is running havoc aint exception handling but simply the time required to do exception handling. If time between collision checks increases the distance between points to be checkt increases. Therefore next time even more time has passed to next check and more points have to be checked again ...

Without fix in minetest you can only prevent this to happen with a reasonably fast machine that avoids happening long deltas between checks at all

EDIT1:
@Qaddosh no by now there ain't a 2D wolf model by now I considered 2D mode legacy only. Adding 2D wolf is low prio for me by now. If someone provides graphics I'll add them of course.
Last edited by sapier on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

sapier

by sapier » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:02

@Temperest
hmm I don't think a vombie is stuck in your house but probably someone should write some sort of "vombie detector mod" ... It wouldn't be that hard.

irksomeduck

by irksomeduck » Thu Aug 30, 2012 13:18

Is there any way to kill enemy mobs or spawn an animal using server commands?
I love exploring minetest worlds :D
If you have a good seed let me know
--------------------------------------------------
My world/house pack- http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3066

Phitherek_

by Phitherek_ » Thu Aug 30, 2012 13:55

I have one question. I don' t use this mod (because of performance) but I would really like to. Is there a possibility it will be faster some day (I mean, it will not freeze the server, cause worlds to not load etc.)?
---
Posted by Phitherek_

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Thu Aug 30, 2012 14:00

What's the word on using compiled Lua? Can the game run such files? If so, maybe that'll provide a good workaround until someone fixes the relevant bug(s) in the game/server.

(Might also be helpful for worldedit, 3dforniture and mesecons, which can also be pretty heavy on CPU usage)
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

sapier

by sapier » Thu Aug 30, 2012 14:35

I've already suggested that (lua jit) but I've been told that would even make situation worse.

The bug ain't an animals bug its a core bug. Any other entity having a acceleration set to someting about 9.81 (earth gravity) or larger most likely will trigger it too.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 15:32

sapier wrote:@rubenwardy thanks for the info. By now there ain't a real path based movement gen in animals mod. Currently movement is random only. Pathfinding is planed for future releases for some time but I didn't have time to implement.
Looks like a 2D pathfinding algorithm but I'll have a closer look at it when implementing path based movement.

@ALL the "hang" Bug mentioned by PilzAdam is related to performance. It's related to collision handling as I guessed before but not the way I thought. Reason why minetest is running havoc aint exception handling but simply the time required to do exception handling. If time between collision checks increases the distance between points to be checkt increases. Therefore next time even more time has passed to next check and more points have to be checked again ...

Without fix in minetest you can only prevent this to happen with a reasonably fast machine that avoids happening long deltas between checks at all

EDIT1:
@Qaddosh no by now there ain't a 2D wolf model by now I considered 2D mode legacy only. Adding 2D wolf is low prio for me by now. If someone provides graphics I'll add them of course.

Yeah, the tammed wolf gets stuck in my floor boards, so i have to kill it.

someone should add pathfinding in c++, so in lua you could call:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Wolf:

ai = {
       enabled=true,
       aggressive={player,chickens},
       friendly={wolf},
       scared={voombie},
       speed=2,
       attack=10,
},

in the wolf register_node etc

That would be good.

You should add butter, cream and cheese.

Could even add a churner, to determine the outcome

You should use GitHub
Last edited by rubenwardy on Thu Aug 30, 2012 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

sapier

by sapier » Thu Aug 30, 2012 16:26

@rubenwardy celeron just removed mobs from core i don't think he's going to readd it anytime soon.

If your wolf gets stuck run away from him he's going to teleport to you if he cant reach you within 10 seconds

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 16:48

sapier wrote:@rubenwardy celeron just removed mobs from core i don't think he's going to readd it anytime soon.

If your wolf gets stuck run away from him he's going to teleport to you if he cant reach you within 10 seconds

Not add mobs, add a way to access pathfinding in the core from lua.

This mod is going to be supported in my coming soon Food mod.

The mod will contain butter, cheese and cream
Last edited by rubenwardy on Thu Aug 30, 2012 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

Josh

by Josh » Fri Aug 31, 2012 04:34

Neuromancer wrote:
rubenwardy wrote:Is there a command to delete all animals? There is a vombie stuck somewhere in my house, maybe in a block, and it is really annoying me.

Haha yeah it does sound kind of funny. No offense rubenwardy

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:08

Josh wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:

Haha yeah it does sound kind of funny. No offense rubenwardy

I know :)

K0Game

by K0Game » Sun Sep 02, 2012 08:54

How can i install this?
It's a very nice mod!
I like it!
Sorry for my bad english :)
I'm GER...

Topywo

by Topywo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 09:14

You can:
1) extract all the separate directories of the containing directory ("animals_modpack") in the mods/minetest directory or
2) extract the containing directory ("animals_modpack") in the mods/minetest directory, then open the containing directory (where all the animal directories are) and create there a file called modpack.txt.

sapier

by sapier » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:31

I've created a Github issue for the server hang. All of you experiencing it there's a workaround too. Issue 229

irksomeduck

by irksomeduck » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:13

If you could tone down the dungeon masters, that would be nice because one nearly burned down my mine tracks once D:
I love exploring minetest worlds :D
If you have a good seed let me know
--------------------------------------------------
My world/house pack- http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3066

sapier

by sapier » Tue Sep 04, 2012 14:09

@irksomeduck I've just released a new version. One of the problems fixed was dm's spawning at lighted areas. I'm not sure if this completly matches your problem but if your mine is lightet chances dm won't spawn there are very high.

I've fixed some minor glitches and added vault generation based uppon celeron's code in this version of dm. There's a new tracing implementation in there too, by default it's disabled so it won't cause any problems for those not having the required lua modules.

Have fun ;-)

Github Issue 229 is still open so make sure your server is fast enough or has the workaround added. Yes it's a server only problem client doesn't need to be modified.
Last edited by sapier on Tue Sep 04, 2012 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Tue Sep 04, 2012 14:38

Can you set up a GitHub repo for this project to make it easier for other (possibly me) to contribute?
Last edited by PilzAdam on Tue Sep 04, 2012 14:38, edited 1 time in total.

sapier

by sapier » Tue Sep 04, 2012 14:57

Currently I use svn for version control. So I'd prefere a hosting service using svn.

I personaly don't like git, please don't start another "but git is better" discussion. I know git has it's benefits, they're just not of any worth for me personaly while usage of git is plain creapy. ;-) Probably at some time in future git will be as comfortable to use as svn but until then I'm not going to switch to it.

EDIT1: If you wanna setup a git repository yourself for patch exchange I'm not gonna stop you ;-)
Last edited by sapier on Tue Sep 04, 2012 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Tue Sep 04, 2012 15:09

sapier wrote:Currently I use svn for version control. So I'd prefere a hosting service using svn.

I personaly don't like git, please don't start another "but git is better" discussion. I know git has it's benefits, they're just not of any worth for me personaly while usage of git is plain creapy. ;-) Probably at some time in future git will be as comfortable to use as svn but until then I'm not going to switch to it.

You dont have to use it at main version control, but you can give others the possiblity to make pull requests.

sapier

by sapier » Tue Sep 04, 2012 15:32

I'm sorry but I don't have time to maintain two different version control trees.

And as there aren't even lot's of bugreports, most only complain if mod doesn't work at all. I don't really believe there would be many people participating in development.

EDIT1:
As added in previous post, if you wanna create bugfix git repository I surely won't ignore fixes added there.
Last edited by sapier on Tue Sep 04, 2012 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

sapier

by sapier » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:16

@Neuromancer I've updated your butterflies mod to work with animals again it's going to work as of animals mod 1.3.5
Butterflies Mod 0.0.4

Mito551

by Mito551 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 15:01

doesn't work.

ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error running function on_activate: ...\mods\animals/management_functions.lua:365: attempt to call field 'init_dynamic_data' (a nil value)

minetest-0.4.2-rc1-0e6f7a2-win32 is the version

do you need any more details?

sapier

by sapier » Wed Sep 05, 2012 18:22

Yes I do need more information, error message you're providing means sound has no element "init_dynamic_data".

As sound does have this element this could mean there is a naming conflict.
Can you tell me what other mods are installed?

Mito551

by Mito551 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 18:57

Image Image
Last edited by Mito551 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

sapier

by sapier » Wed Sep 05, 2012 19:21

ok .... sorry I don't have time to find mod conflicts with that much mods installed.

please try with minetest_game and animals mod only installed. If that works and you can tell me which mod exactly causes the conflict I'll see what I can do. I'd start trying the sound related mods.

Neuromancer

GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Wed Sep 05, 2012 23:21

Mito551 wrote:Image Image

Whoa, you have ambience and ambientsounds mods installed? What is ambientsounds mod? Where did you find it?

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases