i have youtubed a bit and found some more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYcphCzYEWw&feature=related
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlzH5Mo6NsY&feature=related

would love to hear them in mt

EDIT:

THIS ONE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4regtGCsDM&feature=related

Ahh, so you've caught the Amethystium bug too. I could listen to his/their stuff all day long. That was the easy part. Now comes the hard part, only 5 three minute compressed songs will fit into the mod, or minetest load times degrade significantly. So the question is, what to get rid of and what 5 to keep. What do you guys think? My favorite of the 3 you suggested was Shadow to Light, and I was wanting to add it also. Only problem is that the best parts come after the 3 minute mark, where I will need to chop it off. DarkAmbiance by Jordach is small in file size and really good at setting a creepy mood so that automatically gets kept and doesn't count toward the 5.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sat Oct 20, 2012 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

RealBadAngel

by RealBadAngel » Sat Oct 20, 2012 03:15

Ahh, so you've caught the Amethystium bug too. I could listen to his/their stuff all day long. That was the easy part. Now comes the hard part, only 5 three minute compressed songs will fit into the mod, or minetest load times degrade significantly. So the question is, what to get rid of and what 5 to keep. What do you guys think? My favorite of the 3 you suggested was Shadow to Light, and I was wanting to add it also. Only problem is that the best parts come after the 3 minute mark, where I will need to chop it off. DarkAmbiance by Jordach is small in file size and really good at setting a creepy mood so that automatically gets kept and doesn't count toward the 5.

this mod shall be made server indpendent and stored on client side only. meanwhile server maintainers could prepare copy of servers /cache folder, zip it and provide link for clients. One quick download and size of texture pack or ambience mod doesnt matter at all...

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:39

@Neuromancer:
please dont put a .zip into your main repos on github. (https://help.github.com/articles/what-is-my-disk-quota)
and please dont store old versions of files in there (init.lua) thats what an vcs is good for.
Gr8 b8, m8. I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8. I r8 this b8 an 8/8. Plz no h8, I'm str8 ir8. Cr8 more, can't w8. We should convers8, I won't ber8, my number is 8888888, ask for N8. No calls l8 or out of st8. If on a d8, ask K8 to loc8. Even with a full pl8, I always have time to communic8 so don't hesit8.

Neuromancer

GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Sat Oct 20, 2012 22:03

Iqualfragile wrote:@Neuromancer:
please dont put a .zip into your main repos on github. (https://help.github.com/articles/what-is-my-disk-quota)
and please dont store old versions of files in there (init.lua) thats what an vcs is good for.

I know. The reason I put the .zip there was that omploader was down for a couple of days, and I needed to push out a release. The reason I keep the extra init.luas around is that they are experimental and have some cool things I'm trying or want to try, but too buggy to put into the mainline. I'd put em on a shelve set but I don't know of a way to do that in github.

I wonder about omploader. With it being down for a few days, I'm concerned that one day it might just get shut down, but I don't know of any better alternatives. It is easy to use and I like that it tracks the number of downloads.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Sat Oct 20, 2012 22:21

ompldr always has a donate thingy lately and they seem to be going under :-/
"Fuck the hat." - Paulie Gualtieri

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Sun Oct 21, 2012 07:39

RealBadAngel wrote:this mod shall be made server independent and stored on client side only. meanwhile server maintainers could prepare copy of servers /cache folder, zip it and provide link for clients. One quick download and size of texture pack or ambience mod doesn't matter at all...

Ok, here's the deal. When I had more than a few short uncompressed songs, the load times on the client side of the game even in singleplayer went over 30 sec, maybe up to a minute. However it seems like you are not concerned about that, so I am willing to release a separate version of this mod that has whatever Amethystium songs you want in it.

So if you want to move forward with this anyway, give me a list of the songs you want in the Mod (and if/where you want any of them chopped off in length). Because I didn't think this was feasible, I only asked Øystein if I could use a few of his songs. I will go back to him and ask him if he is ok with us using more of his songs for this Mod. If he is ok, then you can buy the additional songs you want off of amazon (there you can buy them individually. On his website you need to buy the whole album, but you get .mp3 and .flac versions of the songs.) I will then convert them to .ogg and create the community a custom version of the Mod with the songs you like.

I don't know anything about how to make the mod server independent. If you know how to do that then I am open to doing that.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sun Oct 21, 2012 07:42, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Sun Oct 21, 2012 08:17

jyf1987 wrote:how about add some bio related sound which only be played at the corresponding bio

like when you swim on sea, you will heard sound of sea

and only when you entry to the forrest, you will heard birds , monkey

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say. I have tried to limit the mod to playing only those sounds that are relevant to the biome/environment you are in. I could, when someone is hovering play wind instead of birds like I do when you are moving through the air. But you hear birds when you are walking through grasslands, meadows too. As far as monkeys, if there was a jungle biome added back to the game, I would put them there. For the sound of the sea, I have waves & seagulls when you are along the shore, water sloshing when you are treading water, swimming sounds when you are moving through the water, and bubbles gurgling when you are under water, and a gasp of air when you surface. I'm not sure what sound of the sea would be when you are swimming, as I actually havent been in the sea, but I put the swimming sound there. Most of the time it is hard to tell if you are in the sea or in a lake, so I improvised and made all larger bodies of water be the sea.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sun Oct 21, 2012 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

Temperest

GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Sun Oct 21, 2012 14:51

Neuromancer wrote:
Iqualfragile wrote:@Neuromancer:

I know. The reason I put the .zip there was that omploader was down for a couple of days, and I needed to push out a release. The reason I keep the extra init.luas around is that they are experimental and have some cool things I'm trying or want to try, but too buggy to put into the mainline. I'd put em on a shelve set but I don't know of a way to do that in github.

I wonder about omploader. With it being down for a few days, I'm concerned that one day it might just get shut down, but I don't know of any better alternatives. It is easy to use and I like that it tracks the number of downloads.

Yes, github automatically makes zip files for you. You can find them in the downloads section of the web page. Also, branches are for exactly the purpose you mentioned - making different versions of files that are developed in parallel and eventually merged back into the one.

Great mod, MineTest sounds much more alive and responsive now.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Sun Oct 21, 2012 20:27

have you read https://help.github.com/articles/what-is-my-disk-quota ? because it clearly says that there is a seperate download-zone where you can put your releases
Gr8 b8, m8. I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8. I r8 this b8 an 8/8. Plz no h8, I'm str8 ir8. Cr8 more, can't w8. We should convers8, I won't ber8, my number is 8888888, ask for N8. No calls l8 or out of st8. If on a d8, ask K8 to loc8. Even with a full pl8, I always have time to communic8 so don't hesit8.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 00:53

Iqualfragile wrote:have you read https://help.github.com/articles/what-is-my-disk-quota ? because it clearly says that there is a seperate download-zone where you can put your releases

From the way I read that, it would count against my 1 gb repository quota. However, by using the modpack.txt trick, and by doing history, browse code, and a copy link address from the zip button, I should be able to use that as my link and it will give me a different link for each committed version. Then I would not need omploader at all. Just wish github would track the number of downloads.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Mon Oct 22, 2012 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

prof-turbo

by prof-turbo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 16:40

You used some Urban Terror's sounds ^^ ?
You should take a look at http://www.xorhub.com

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Wed Oct 24, 2012 01:44

prof-turbo wrote:You used some Urban Terror's sounds ^^ ?

Not that I know of. All the sounds sources are in the sound licenses file which I get primarilly from fresounds.org and soundbible.com Which sound do you think is from Urban Terror?

AnonymousEx

by AnonymousEx » Sun Dec 02, 2012 23:16

@ Neuromancer and his team.

Thank you so much for this mod! This makes Minetest so much more immersive and involving!
You made it come alive!

Minetest and its modders FTW!

RealBadAngel

by RealBadAngel » Mon Dec 03, 2012 21:08

Ive made technic version of it (with music made by Skaven/Future Crew):
Download link:
http://realbadangel.pl/technic_ambience.zip

neko259

by neko259 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 18:05

http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4010

Some of my players suggested me to remove this mod and test without it. Everything works fine. Maybe bandwidth problem or something like that?
Bitcoin donations: 18r66dJmUjwTmWRTFnorpGMzs8d4B8jzbw

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Mon Dec 17, 2012 18:30

I recently had the chance to try this mod out when oldcoder put up my map, not bad :-) though the initial load took about ~ 10 mins, so i downloaded the mod myself and made a few tweaks to speed things up.

Ambience-serverlite
no music, underwater (scuba), and the bats woke my neighbours so thats gone too, the rest was remixed (stereo to mono, trim, pitch adjustments, etc.) changed the cricket noise and added loons for daytime. All in all, it weights in at 1.1mb. Feel free to add this branch to your OP if you want, ive added it to my modpack :-)

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 03:27

mauvebic wrote:I recently had the chance to try this mod out when oldcoder put up my map, not bad :-) though the initial load took about ~ 10 mins, so i downloaded the mod myself and made a few tweaks to speed things up.

Ambience-serverlite
no music, underwater (scuba), and the bats woke my neighbours so thats gone too, the rest was remixed (stereo to mono, trim, pitch adjustments, etc.) changed the cricket noise and added loons for daytime. All in all, it weights in at 1.1mb. Feel free to add this branch to your OP if you want, ive added it to my modpack :-)

Awesome,

This is what I was hoping folks would do, come up with variations. It sounds nice. I would tweak a few things. I think the owls are too frequent, and the desert wind is too repetitive. But other than that, awesome. The loons are a nice touch. I wonder if my processor causes the delays to be different, because the owls and the desert wind run almost like a constant loop on my machine.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Tue Dec 18, 2012 03:50, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 03:45

RealBadAngel wrote:Ive made technic version of it (with music made by Skaven/Future Crew):
Download link:
http://realbadangel.pl/technic_ambience.zip

This adds a whole different feel to the game. I like it!

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 03:51

neko259 wrote:http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4010

Some of my players suggested me to remove this mod and test without it. Everything works fine. Maybe bandwidth problem or something like that?

I'd try mauvebic's version of the mod in his recent post. It's about 1/10th the size of this one.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Tue Dec 18, 2012 03:51, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Tue Dec 18, 2012 16:48

ambience-sl-121812
merged all the _frequent groups with their counterparts (should i math.random the volume for same effect?). Added more nature sounds to even out the count between the different groups. Also updated the length values for all the clips to reflect their post-remix length (should fix that weird looping thing). minimalness : 1.32mb, 380 lines

RealBadAngel

by RealBadAngel » Tue Dec 18, 2012 19:43

is there a way to adjust levels of both sfx and music in game?
i could add the volume sliders to the UI then
also a suggestion: can songs when picked have a condition, to be played only at night or day?
check for "they crave" from technic version, it fits just nightime, when zombies are around :)
Last edited by RealBadAngel on Tue Dec 18, 2012 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 02:14

RealBadAngel wrote:is there a way to adjust levels of both sfx and music in game?
i could add the volume sliders to the UI then
also a suggestion: can songs when picked have a condition, to be played only at night or day?
check for "they crave" from technic version, it fits just nightime, when zombies are around :)

Currently the sfx and music volume work as follows:
Commands:
/svol 1 (sets volume of ambient sounds to their defaults. Use a number of 0 to 1) .5 = 50% decrease from default value
/mvol 1 (sets volume of music to their defaults. Use a number of 0 to 3.3) 3.3 = 330% increase over default value
You will need to wait for the sound/song to stop playing to hear the difference in the next sound/song. If you force a change in sound by moving elsewhere you will hear difference immediately. See ambience configuration below for more fine grained control of volume and frequency of sounds.

But you can tweak the code as you like.

There is function that checks for day and night, to distinguish between birds and crickets, and you could tweak the code to do the same for music.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 02:15

mauvebic wrote:ambience-sl-121812
merged all the _frequent groups with their counterparts (should i math.random the volume for same effect?). Added more nature sounds to even out the count between the different groups. Also updated the length values for all the clips to reflect their post-remix length (should fix that weird looping thing). minimalness : 1.32mb, 380 lines

I was going to do math.random for gain, because I thought that would really add realism and depth. Go for it!

Mito551

by Mito551 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 17:50

i was playing with this for a while now and i think it's better to make music more background. it's too loud and kind of standing out. also, as far as i understand, it is better to begin every track with a fade in and end with a fade out. thanks.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 01:06

Mito551 wrote:i was playing with this for a while now and i think it's better to make music more background. it's too loud and kind of standing out. also, as far as i understand, it is better to begin every track with a fade in and end with a fade out. thanks.

I agree with your assessment. Do me a favor, play around with this setting in init.lua:
local music_volume = 0.3
Until you feel it is right. Then let me know what you find, and I will update the mod.

While most songs are too loud, I believe one of them is too quiet. I'm almost positive it is AvalonShort. Play around with it's setting like this in conjunction with the others:
{name="StrangelyBeautifulShort", length=3*60+.5, gain=music_volume},
{name="AvalonShort", length=2*60+58, gain=music_volume*1.5},
{name="eastern_feeling", length=3*60+51, gain=music_volume},
{name="EtherealShort", length=3*60+4, gain=music_volume},
{name="FarawayShort", length=3*60+5, gain=music_volume},
{name="dark_ambiance", length=44, gain=music_volume}

take music_volume and multiply it by a number like 1.5 to make it 1.5 times as loud as the others, like I did above until it sounds right. Then I will update that as well.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 17:15

local night_frequency = 20 --owls, wolves
local night_volume = 0.7
local night_frequent_frequency = 150 --crickets
local night_frequent_volume = 0.7
local day_frequency = 80 --crow, bluejay, cardinal
local day_volume = 0.6
local day_frequent_frequency = 250 --crow, bluejay, cardinal
local day_frequent_volume = 0.08
local cave_frequency = 10 --bats
local cave_volume = 0.8
local cave_frequent_frequency = 70 --drops of water dripping
local cave_frequent_volume = 0.8
local beach_frequency = 20 --seagulls
local beach_volume = 0.7
local beach_frequent_frequency = 1000 --waves
local beach_frequent_volume = 0.38
local water_frequent_frequency = 1000 --water sounds
local water_frequent_volume = 0.7
local desert_frequency = 20 --coyote
local desert_volume = 0.6
local desert_frequent_frequency = 700 --desertwind
local desert_frequent_volume = 0.7
local swimming_frequent_frequency = 1000 --swimming splashes
local swimming_frequent_volume = 0.7
local water_surface_volume = 0.5 -- sloshing water
local lava_volume = 0.9 --lava
local flowing_water_volume = 0.4 --waterfall
local splashing_water_volume = 0.8
local music_frequency = 7 --music (suggestion: keep this one low like around 6)
local music_volume = 0.13

this are my settings for now, but not final. i'll be experementing more.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 02:24

Mito551 wrote:local night_frequency = 20 --owls, wolves
local night_volume = 0.7
local night_frequent_frequency = 150 --crickets
local night_frequent_volume = 0.7
local day_frequency = 80 --crow, bluejay, cardinal
local day_volume = 0.6
local day_frequent_frequency = 250 --crow, bluejay, cardinal
local day_frequent_volume = 0.08
local cave_frequency = 10 --bats
local cave_volume = 0.8
local cave_frequent_frequency = 70 --drops of water dripping
local cave_frequent_volume = 0.8
local beach_frequency = 20 --seagulls
local beach_volume = 0.7
local beach_frequent_frequency = 1000 --waves
local beach_frequent_volume = 0.38
local water_frequent_frequency = 1000 --water sounds
local water_frequent_volume = 0.7
local desert_frequency = 20 --coyote
local desert_volume = 0.6
local desert_frequent_frequency = 700 --desertwind
local desert_frequent_volume = 0.7
local swimming_frequent_frequency = 1000 --swimming splashes
local swimming_frequent_volume = 0.7
local water_surface_volume = 0.5 -- sloshing water
local lava_volume = 0.9 --lava
local flowing_water_volume = 0.4 --waterfall
local splashing_water_volume = 0.8
local music_frequency = 7 --music (suggestion: keep this one low like around 6)
local music_volume = 0.13

this are my settings for now, but not final. i'll be experementing more.

Great! Let me know when you find the final settings and I'll update the mod.
You mentioned fade in and fade out. I did chop them off after around 3 minutes, so I can see them needing a fade out, but I'm assuming that most of them came with and still have a natural fade in, am I right?

Mito551

by Mito551 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 09:37

the thing is: it's not about the sounds itself. it's about getting fadings through the mod. through the code. i'm quite sure this can't be done in lua, but this mod needs replacement of heavy cutting off of sounds for something mildly and softly going away (fading out). like in AIMP, music player for windows.
i didn't look in files, i don't know if they have a fade in.
and thank you for your support :)

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Fri Jan 04, 2013 02:34

Mito551 wrote:the thing is: it's not about the sounds itself. it's about getting fadings through the mod. through the code. i'm quite sure this can't be done in lua, but this mod needs replacement of heavy cutting off of sounds for something mildly and softly going away (fading out). like in AIMP, music player for windows.
i didn't look in files, i don't know if they have a fade in.
and thank you for your support :)

I don't know of a way to do this through Lua. The way I planned on doing it was by using the fade effect built into the Audacity application. Do you think just the songs need fade in/out or also the sound effects?

Mito551

by Mito551 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:57

fade in for effects - no, but a fade out. but it has to fade out at the moment when it goes out. do you get my idea?

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases