[Mod] Mesecons (= redstone) [GitHub] [minetest-mod-mesecons]

Jeija

by Jeija » Wed Nov 28, 2012 13:27

Unfortunately I cannot add even more different types of mesecons. It meant that I had to register a big amount of nodes (like ~80 for every type of mesecon) which makes the game crash. Anyway you can use insulated mesecons which is also more logic to me than using colored mesecons. For a 2x2 microcontroller you could just put 4 normal microcontrollers together, I don't know any application that actually requires a 2x2 microcontroller.
Redstone for minetest: Mesecons (mesecons.net)

Nore

GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Wed Nov 28, 2012 13:35

You cannot put 4 microcontrollers together to get somaathing like a 2x2 microcontroller, because the microcontrollers cannot share enough data with one another (there are only 4 connection between the microcontrollers).

About the potential uses of a 2x2 microcontrollers, il includes full adder, binary to BCD decoder, much easier multiplication, ... because it it more compact than a dozen standart microcontrollers.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Wed Nov 28, 2012 18:02

All the necessary wires make more complex conduits ...needlessly complex. I'd like to have busses. Or maybe just "wireless" adress decoders that can read the state (on/off) of several (maybe best 8) mesecon-wires and join them with and or or and have a single output.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Nore

by Nore » Wed Nov 28, 2012 18:39

I made a 2x2 microcontroller (no texture for the moment, it looks like 4 microcontrollers), but where can I upload it?
Note : there are still some bugs.

About buses, it was one of my ideas with colored mesecons: you connect them to a cable, and red mesecon with link with the other red one, etc.

Jeija

by Jeija » Wed Nov 28, 2012 19:08

You can either make your own repo on github for it, fork mesecons or just upload it somewhere (e.g. mediafire, ubuntu one, google drive, ompldr) and I will then integrate it if it works fine.

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Wed Nov 28, 2012 20:10

Jeija, there is a new modification pending to the game engine that lets you redefine a node (including its nodebox parameters) in real-time. This is most useful for stuff like wires, because now you can define a single register_node() call per wire color (so 16 nodes for 16 wires) and then modify the node's model *after* it is placed in the world.

It means no more having to register hundreds of nodes ahead of time just to get all the possible wire shapes, styles, and colors. As long as you retain some kind of predictable metadata for each newly-redefined wire, you can make hundreds or thousands of possible shapes without bloating the node registry and crashing the game, and still be able to actually keep track of the connectivity/circuitry. :-)

I believe the code for that is the meta_set_nodedef branch of the minetest engine, and it is known to work at least to a usable point. Celeron55 does not, at this time, have plans to merge it to master without further changes though.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

adversity

by adversity » Wed Nov 28, 2012 20:57

Hey all,

I believe I have answered one of my own questions.

In Scenario 4, I asked why the cobblestone stayed suspended after powering off the pistons. I tried adding a second microcontroller to the circuit to delay turning off the bottom piston by 1 second to allow the top piston time to fully retract. The top piston did fully retract before the bottom piston retracted but the cobblestone remained one block above the now retracted pistons. Apparently, this is working as intended as I believe Minecraft sticky pistons are only sticky when they retract. Therefore, it would seem that the cobblestone is obeying it's anti-gravity properties by not falling after the now un-extended (ie un-sticky) second piston is retracted by the bottom piston. I did replace the cobblestone with sand and the sand fell down to the retracted pistons as intended without issue.

I am still scratching my head on the other scenarios.

P.S. - is there a way for a microcontroller to power one of its ports for 1 second and then turn off said port. Example:

if(A) on(C) for 1 second > off(C);

If this is possible, is it also possible to power said port for 1 second after waiting 1 second? Example:

if(A) after(1, "on(C) for 1 second") > off(C);

Currently, I am doing this using 2 microcontrollers: the first acts as an !AND gate and powers after 1 second if only 1 input is active and the second microcontroller waits 1 second to power the other port on the first microcontroller which in turn powers off the output of the first microcontroller. This method allows a piston enough time to extend and then retract for the next piston to extend but requires 2 microcontrollers for every piston. If there is a more efficient way to do this with a single micrcontroller per piston, I am all ears but if not I can go this route.( I hope this will be a prototype for an elevator once we have object collision or whatever is required for players to ride blocks)

P.P.S - @VanessaE: love your HD texture pack!

simion314

by simion314 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 16:20

Hi, I found an issue with the pistons, I checked in GIT and is not reported so maybe is not a real issue or is there a work around?

The setup is like this , a piston (stricky in my test) pushes a consumer(red light or other piston), when the consumer is pushed in the new position is not updated so it is now powered(If i force an update by cuting the wires and fixing them the consumer is powered)

So I assume that this should have a fix like this: when piston moves a block it will check if the block is of a type that needs a power update and it will call the update on that moved block.
If you don;t have time to check this now can you point me on the region of code that I can check, see if I can fix this?

Great mod! Thank you for the work.

Nore

by Nore » Thu Nov 29, 2012 17:54

I added the 2x2 microcontroller.

There are still a bug I don't know how to deal with :
You can place a 2x2 microcontroller, and it will write over some blocks, because I don't know how to prevent the user from placing the microcontroller if those blocks are not air. Problems : You lose the blocks that were there, it can cause problems with block protection, and more important, if you intersect 2 2x2 microcontrollers, it can make the server crash.

Note : there are no textures, it looks like 4 microcontrollers, so the ports are :
-BC-
A--D
H--E
-GF-

Link to my git repo : http://github.com/Novatux/minetest-mod-mesecons

Note : Could someone make the textures ? And do you have ideas about the crafting recipe ? (I think something like 4 microcontrollers, 4 mesecons and 1 silicon)
Last edited by Nore on Thu Nov 29, 2012 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

Josh

by Josh » Sun Dec 02, 2012 02:27

Jeija, the mesecons mod won't work with 0.4.4. I need it for a new adventure map,
i go to craft the mesecons but they will not work. Any help?
P.S: 0.4.4 is the build with 3d player models.
Last edited by Josh on Sun Dec 02, 2012 02:29, edited 1 time in total.

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Sun Dec 02, 2012 05:12

Josh wrote:Jeija, the mesecons mod won't work with 0.4.4. I need it for a new adventure map,

Mesecons seem to be working fine on my 0.4.4-dev. Can you elaborate more on the error you get?
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

Josh

by Josh » Mon Dec 03, 2012 02:09

kaeza wrote:
Josh wrote:Jeija, the mesecons mod won't work with 0.4.4. I need it for a new adventure map,

Mesecons seem to be working fine on my 0.4.4-dev. Can you elaborate more on the error you get?

Im not getting any errors, I even checked all of debug txt. I wonder what's happening?
Last edited by Josh on Mon Dec 03, 2012 02:20, edited 1 time in total.

Leroy

by Leroy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 20:50

Mesecon Digicode Extension doesn't work
UBUNTU BRO!

Jeija

by Jeija » Sat Dec 08, 2012 21:49

Propably it was just the wrong download. You could try downloading it again from mesecons.tk

jordan4ibanez

GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Sat Dec 08, 2012 22:03

You should use wire placement like wire in redpower.
If you can think it, you can make it.

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sat Dec 08, 2012 22:05

There is an typo in the website:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
mesecon:register_on_sigal_on

should be
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
mesecon:register_on_signal_on

Leroy

by Leroy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 04:10

Jeija wrote:Propably it was just the wrong download. You could try downloading it again from mesecons.tk

Geez. After you posted this, it worked! :)
UBUNTU BRO!

monty_oso

by monty_oso » Sun Dec 09, 2012 09:41

If i type "/giveme messecon:microcontroller" i obtain "Server: -!- error: can not given an unknown item"

I workaround this by change in "/.minetest/mods/minetest/Jeija-minetest-mod-mesecons-f28cf0a/mesecons_microcontroller/init.lua" "minetest.register_node(nodename, {" by "minetest.register_node("mesecons_microcontroller:microcontroller", {"
My English sucks very hard (TM).
I'm very interesting in mesecons stuff.

Jeija

by Jeija » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18

"/giveme messecon:microcontroller" should now also work without code changes in the latest github.

Jeija

by Jeija » Sun Dec 09, 2012 18:50

By the way:
There is a new mesecons machine competition!
http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4013

Be the first to send in a speed challenge map!

monty_oso

by monty_oso » Sun Dec 09, 2012 20:21

The file "minetest-mod-mesecons-master.tar (minetest-mod-mesecons-master.tar.gz).gz" is not working, it contains other file call "minetest-mod-mesecons-master.tar (minetest-mod-mesecons-master.tar.gz)" and that file is corrupted. I have to use the zip.

Temperest

GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Tue Dec 11, 2012 01:50

That tar file is another archive format. GZ is a compressed format, so used together, it's a TAR archive inside a GZ archive. You can use any modern archiver to extract that.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

Jeija

by Jeija » Tue Dec 11, 2012 09:29

Looking for volunteers for testing the new branch of mesecons:
https://github.com/Jeija/minetest-mod-mesecons/tree/mesecons_in_nodedef
Download: https://github.com/Jeija/minetest-mod-mesecons/archive/mesecons_in_nodedef.zip

Please report: Are there any bugs? Are there some thins that look strange / visual styles you don't like? Any crashes? Any things that don't work as expected?
Please try as many items as possible, if it's fine please also tell me.

Thanks for your help!

monty_oso

by monty_oso » Tue Dec 11, 2012 15:13

If there is adjacent colorblocks and one of then turn on all the colorblocks turn on
Video of the bug: http://youtu.be/a1seeJCD2SU
map: http://ubuntuone.com/6yRiDeS3ckeMaU0EqgF343

Jeija

by Jeija » Tue Dec 11, 2012 17:16

Thanks, monty_oso, bug fixed.

irksomeduck

by irksomeduck » Tue Dec 11, 2012 18:04

Do the new versions of this mod climb walls? The version I have (which is a few months old) does not, and it is very irritating when making lights in a house.
I love exploring minetest worlds :D
If you have a good seed let me know
--------------------------------------------------
My world/house pack- http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3066

Jeija

by Jeija » Tue Dec 11, 2012 18:31

No, but vertical mesecons are to come.

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Tue Dec 11, 2012 22:07

This new branch is now in place as the default version of mesecons on my testing server.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

monty_oso

by monty_oso » Tue Dec 11, 2012 22:45

There is a weird bug which complex uCScript functions and wires. Wires are on but there is no power source. Colorbocks and switches don't work as intended.
If you put a colorblock in front of a powdered wire the game crash.
All the errors are present in the new version and in the stable version.
Video of the bugs: http://youtu.be/ongKy-obfnI
Map: http://ubuntuone.com/5tAWlPxnIWkbqNbhCiOjLb

monty_oso

by monty_oso » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:36

This map contains some bugs: http://ubuntuone.com/5tAWlPxnIWkbqNbhCiOjLb
EDIT1: SORRY the bugs in this map are from the previous version.
Last edited by monty_oso on Fri Dec 14, 2012 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases