[Mod] WorldEdit [1.0] [worldedit]

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Sun Mar 17, 2013 18:31

It would be handy if we could bind unused keys to different formspecs - enabling GUI's for a variety of mods without further encumbering the inventory :-)
"Fuck the hat." - Paulie Gualtieri

Temperest

GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Sun Mar 17, 2013 20:32

That would be great, but ideally we'd have Lua callbacks for each key, so that modders can bind them to anything. To show formspecs, we'd use minetest.show_formspec(playername, formname, formspec).
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

nextmissinglink

by nextmissinglink » Mon Mar 18, 2013 17:52

what does metasave and load mean
IF in doubt hit it with a hammer
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply id10t ERROR
do not abuse me i am 11 and i like hitting things with a hammer that may include you
this is ment to be secret http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?pid=86467#p86467

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Mon Mar 18, 2013 18:36

The meta* commands save/load extra information about some nodes, such as the contents of a chest, the text on a sign, or the program in a microcontroller, if those nodes have such data.

The metasave (.wem) format is different from the regular (.we) format to accommodate this.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 19:19

VanessaE wrote:The meta* commands save/load extra information about some nodes, such as the contents of a chest, the text on a sign, or the program in a microcontroller, if those nodes have such data.

The metasave (.wem) format is different from the regular (.we) format to accommodate this.
how do you do this
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Temperest

by Temperest » Mon Mar 18, 2013 20:17

Well, node metadata can be manipulated using a MetaRef, which you obtain using EnvRef:get_meta(pos). The metaref allows you to do things like access the inventory, formspec, infotext, and other fields.

If you mean accessing the functionality in WorldEdit, see the //metasave and //metaload commands. Although these commands will be removed soon, possibly today. In its place, //save and //load will have the same functionality.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

nextmissinglink

by nextmissinglink » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:11

oh so is there a way of moving a building from one world to another
IF in doubt hit it with a hammer
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply id10t ERROR
do not abuse me i am 11 and i like hitting things with a hammer that may include you
this is ment to be secret http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?pid=86467#p86467

Temperest

by Temperest » Tue Mar 19, 2013 14:41

Yep, copy the .wem or .we file in your schems folder to the same place in another world. When you open that world, the schematic will be available.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

Temperest

by Temperest » Wed Mar 20, 2013 21:36

Update:

• //metasave and //metaload have been removed! Functionality has been replaced by //save and //load
  • //save and //load now support metadata!
  • worldedit.deserialize and worldedit.allocate now support every version of the WorldEdit file format, even the very first release.
  • The deprecated worldedit.deserialize_old and worldedit.allocate_old functions have been removed, since their modern equivalent also supports the old file formats. However, in order to avoid breaking mods, the compatibility layer aliases them to their modern equivalents.
  • The worldedit.metasave and worldedit.metaload functions have been removed, since worldedit.serialize and worldedit.deserialize now do their task. However, in order to avoid breaking mods, the compatibility layer reimplements them using their modern equivalents.
  • Don't like a module? Delete it! Dynamic module loading is fully supported. If, for example, you don't want the visualization API to be available, just delete visualization.lua. The mod will work just fine without it. NOTE: you should make sure mods using worldedit support this before deleting anything.
Last edited by Temperest on Wed Mar 20, 2013 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Wed Mar 20, 2013 21:47

Fuck yeah!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Wed Mar 27, 2013 17:35

56k nodes does not seem to be that much. Make sure the area where the volcano ought to appear is loaded and generated. Did you copy the blueprint to the schems folder of the new world?
A list of my mods can be found here.

Temperest

by Temperest » Wed Mar 27, 2013 20:18

Almost nothing? As Sokomine said, you will need to make sure all the blocks are loaded. That means you or another player needs to be able to see the nodes (although this is not necessarily always the case) and the blocks need to be loaded on the server.

That said, it may be a problem with the latest deserialization code. Would you mind sending me the save file so I can debug it?
WorldEdit 1.0 released

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Wed Mar 27, 2013 20:52

I dont think this is a worldedit issue, none of my bin's or bp's are spawning properly in the latest git version of minetest, the first two spawns places very little nodes, and subsequent calls terminate in under 4 seconds with no additional nodes placed. So no system-wide update/6D facedir for me :/
Last edited by mauvebic on Wed Mar 27, 2013 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuck the hat." - Paulie Gualtieri

Temperest

by Temperest » Wed Mar 27, 2013 22:09

Small update: itemstacks in inventories in nodes with metadata are properly serialized as strings.

Hybrid Dog: the issue seems to be with Minetest, it will need further debugging, I think.
Last edited by Temperest on Wed Mar 27, 2013 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

Temperest

by Temperest » Wed Mar 27, 2013 23:15

It's worth trying again. Also, if you saved that file yourself, you are using an old version of WorldEdit. The latest version uses a different format, although it's completely backwards compatible.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

MirceaKitsune

GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Tue Apr 09, 2013 21:47

Interesting mod, and very nicely done from what I'm seeing. Funny enough, I started writing my own such mod before finding out about Worldedit. Nothing to worry about since it does use a different approach and has a slightly different purpose (such as mapgen integration so text file structures are automatically spawned in the world). I went for a main node with 3 markers to specify the area, which then allows you to import and export via the formspec menu.

Never the less, I set the format to be the same as Worldedit so structures should be possible to import / export between the two mods. Would be fun to see a comparison, since the I/O functions use a different code and likely different approach.

Nore

GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Sun Apr 14, 2013 13:50

I found a bug: trying to save something containing a chest with something inside crashes Minetest.

Temperest

by Temperest » Sun Apr 14, 2013 17:26

I can't confirm the issue; are you sure you're using the latest version?

Saving a single chest with a steel block inside completed perfectly, and so did a 3x3x3 glass cube with a chest in the middle.

Could you post your world if this problem persists?
WorldEdit 1.0 released

Nore

GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Mon Apr 15, 2013 05:00

I just checked: my version is older than the commit that fixed that. Sorry for this bug report.

Temperest

by Temperest » Sun Apr 21, 2013 05:07

If you've been having trouble loading huge saves, try downloading WorldEdit again. Due to a limitation of Minetest's LuaJIT version, it fizzes and sparks at only a few tens of thousands of nodes. WorldEdit now uses a workaround to make sure your file loading is smooth and bug-free.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

rcthomas93

by rcthomas93 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 03:10

Feature Request:

It would be really nice to have a blend function such as the one in the MC voxel editor. That way, when creating landscape features such as hills or mountains, you could get a much more natural effect.

Temperest

by Temperest » Mon Apr 22, 2013 16:44

Blend feature? Please elaborate.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

rcthomas93

by rcthomas93 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 19:43

The blend feature is mainly for building hills/mountains. Basically, once you build up the basic structure, the tool will then blend it out between peaks/to the ground so it looks more natural without having to place each individual block.

BenAmaranth

by BenAmaranth » Sat Apr 27, 2013 01:48

Can we get half spheres or domes? Or is it possible to work something like that up? In fact, itd be cool to learn how to make WorldEdit commands.
Air (you hacker you!)

rcthomas93

by rcthomas93 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 07:33

It's actually called the smooth feature, not blend. Here's a video demonstrating how it works in MC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKbT9YUUCs8

Temperest

by Temperest » Sat Apr 27, 2013 22:32

BenAmaranth wrote:Can we get half spheres or domes? Or is it possible to work something like that up? In fact, itd be cool to learn how to make WorldEdit commands.

Enjoy! Please refer to the WorldEdit API reference for a guide on how to use the API. If you want to make your own commands, check out the worldedit_commands mod included in the download for examples.

Update:

• New commands: //hollowdome and //dome!
  • New API functions: worldedit.hollow_dome and worldedit.dome.
  • Improved sphere code to be faster and more efficient.

Download it, as always, in the first post.

rcthomas93: would you mind giving a quick summary of the tool? Skimming through the video, I didn't see anything about smoothing.
Last edited by Temperest on Sat Apr 27, 2013 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

rcthomas93

by rcthomas93 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 04:04

Ok, sorry!
Basically if you make something out of spheres, such as a mountain or an island, the smooth brush makes everything smooth so that you get the more natural "step" like gradient on the land instead of the very spherical or hard lines. It's just used to make everything look like a naturally generated landscape. It's a little hard for me to explain, but I hope that did it. If it's still not making sense, this video discusses it around 6 mins in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btcG_hYuHQ4

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 15:47

What I'm working on right now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cZ5bXa1Ubk
Don't Panic: It will not be that slow
Warning: Will use some RAM
But it will be switchable off.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Temperest

by Temperest » Sun Apr 28, 2013 16:34

Excellent! You might also want to check out WorldEdit++, where the block queue is already working quite quickly.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 16:45

I've already tested WorldEdit++
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases