[Mod] Peaceful NPC [1.8.5.2] [peaceful_npc]

Ragnar

by Ragnar » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:04

babe223 wrote:here's some ;D
WOODCUTTER
WoodCutter Image

Lumberjack!
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?

BorisGrishenko

by BorisGrishenko » Thu Feb 21, 2013 13:04

*Clap Clap*
Hi, I'm this guy at his home somewhere in a very hot place.
Currently working on houses based in real and virtual worlds.
Judge Minister Claude Frollo should be a Disney Prince.

BorisGrishenko

by BorisGrishenko » Thu Feb 21, 2013 13:10

I can't rename the folder, delete or move it cause its says its being used by another program, even though my Minetest is closed and I need to in order to run the mod, what should I do?
Last edited by BorisGrishenko on Thu Feb 21, 2013 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 13:15

When I get home I will send you a pm of it with the correct name. (Straight from my PC) please send me a pm to remind me.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

J-Block

by J-Block » Fri Feb 22, 2013 16:19

The mod didn't really do much for me. The npc's wouldn't spawn and whenever I tried to place an npc spawner the server wouldn't let me, even after issuing the "give <Singleplayer> peacefulnpc" command. You haven't explained what the npc portal is- it did nothing, and the texture for the npc fence doesn't work.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 16:33

J-Block wrote:The mod didn't really do much for me. The npc's wouldn't spawn and whenever I tried to place an npc spawner the server wouldn't let me, even after issuing the "give <Singleplayer> peacefulnpc" command. You haven't explained what the npc portal is- it did nothing, and the texture for the npc fence doesn't work.

The fence is meant to be invisible to stop them fom jumping over a regular fence. They jump 2 blocks high.
You need the peacefulnpc priv to place summoners not peacefulnpc*
also you have to use the grant command "/grant singleplayer peacefulnpc"
the npc portal is an automatic spawner
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Sat Feb 23, 2013 06:12

Pulled from git just minutes ago....

01:10:36: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: ServerError: LuaE
rror: error: ...etest/games/vanessae_game/mods/peaceful_npc/init.lua:424: attemp
t to call global 'npc_spawner' (a nil value)
01:10:36: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 13:06

was this with the current git verssion. i updated yesterday.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sat Feb 23, 2013 14:50

It was from your git report, fetched perhaps 30 minutes, maybe an hour before that post (so sometime between 1 and 2 pm EST). I had to remove peaceful npc from my server temporarily.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 17:15

i fixed the bug. i simply reverted the code to 1.7.1 and added singleplayer getting it by default. I have not tested it yet but i dont think there should be a problem since i know the priv be default aka the singleplayer thing should work.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Sat Feb 23, 2013 18:07

Ok. Updated and re-installed.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Sat Feb 23, 2013 19:31

Hmm... this could be cool for setting up a minetest server as a morRPG.

What would be needed is ability to set NPCs with text phrase to be triggered to hand out game info.
Random townsfolk that would move around in set area and not leave it.
Set path for NPC to move aka guards with ability to attack.
Waitresses that would dispense a particular item is bar/restaurant.
Negative response for killing a set NPC that wasn't meant to be killed. GUARDS!

Maybe for next generation of NPCs.

Also have the NPC maps programable by the server. Ie. Still have the defaults skins but have ones that can be set by the server such as npc01.png ... npc16.png. Just add any skin with that filename. Therefore you could have sets or themes and switch between them.

Sample NPC themes, space, medival, modern, western, etc.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Feb 23, 2013 19:51

That would be really nice. The formspec that npc can show in newer versions of MT is a step in that direction. With that, text phrases, communication and trading can already be done in theory. It is still a long way until everything will work I think.
A list of my mods can be found here.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 22:09

Michael Eh? wrote:Hmm... this could be cool for setting up a minetest server as a morRPG.

What would be needed is ability to set NPCs with text phrase to be triggered to hand out game info.
Random townsfolk that would move around in set area and not leave it.
Set path for NPC to move aka guards with ability to attack.
Waitresses that would dispense a particular item is bar/restaurant.
Negative response for killing a set NPC that wasn't meant to be killed. GUARDS!

Also have the NPC maps programable by the server. Ie. Still have the defaults skins but have ones that can be set by the server such as npc01.png ... npc16.png. Just add any skin with that filename. Therefore you could have sets or themes and switch between them.

Sokomine wrote:That would be really nice. The formspec that npc can show in newer versions of MT is a step in that direction. With that, text phrases, communication and trading can already be done in theory. It is still a long way until everything will work I think.

If anyone could code this i would be grateful. I have only a little time to play the game. Just make a pull request in github and i will give full credit of course. also please post here saying that you have made a pull request or pm me since i dont check my github all that often. And this message is to everyone but the quotes show what i am talking about.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Sun Feb 24, 2013 02:39

jojoa1997 wrote:
Michael Eh? wrote:Hmm... this could be cool for setting up a minetest server as a morRPG.

SNIP!

If anyone could code this i would be grateful. I have only a little time to play the game. Just make a pull request in github and i will give full credit of course. also please post here saying that you have made a pull request or pm me since i dont check my github all that often. And this message is to everyone but the quotes show what i am talking about.

I think the interactive NPC or NPC 2.0 should be a seperate project. Something for a larger project of running a traditional video game RPG in minetest framework.

However, having sets of NPCs with generic file naming for textures is very doable. It would mean changing code to support subdirectories in texture directory and setting texture filenames to generic naming.

I still having problems getting this to work in 0.4.4 stable in singleplayer mode. Doesn't understand grant property.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:56

What do you guys think of me adding villages.
Poll:
1) add villages that spawn on mapgen.
2) add villages that you need to make a special node to spawn (only 1 village per 500 node radius
3) #2 but a different radius (say in vote)
4) No
5) Other Ideas

Please explain your reasoning.

Results:
1- 1
2-
3-
4-
5-
Last edited by jojoa1997 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Mon Mar 04, 2013 15:46

I'm working on something similar with my random_buildings mod. Originally it was intended to make some items which are obtainable only by destroying much of the scenery (moretrees, clay, sand) or by ways i don't like (seeds for farming/farming_plus, animals) available through trading with npc. While lumberjacks may "naturally" occour in small quantities around trees, clay traders are already a bit different. Finally, farms that may provide seeds and animals usually do not occour randomly in the world.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 16:47

I am going to make 2 types of NPCs. Ones that wander and ones that stay within the area of the village. I am thinking of making the village have a wall so they don't escape. If it is okay with you sokamine could I use your code to allow village NPCs to trade.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Mon Mar 04, 2013 18:02

Once the mod is ready, I'll release it most likely under GPLv3, so modifying it ought to be no problem. Until it is released, there may be changes to code and reorganization. The next step will be to turn it into a modpack so that parts of it can be used seperately when dependencies are not fulfilled.
The trader is mostly a function of sapiers mobf and thus depends on it. My random_buildings/mobf_trader.lua is an easier interface to give the trader the goods he ought to trade. Feel free to use it but be aware that there may be changes to the code in the future.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Mon Mar 04, 2013 18:04

I think village generator should be a seperate mod and NPCs be placed within buildings or villages. This way the user/admin can decide on what style to take.

This is why I feel peaceful_npc should work on 'character sets' rather than random characters put forth by users. Modern town would look stupid with RPG characters and visa versa. Making a mod flexible is best course. The direction should be decided by the user.

Having random townfolk might make an area popular on the map because it looks busy. While having random folk in popular area only slow things down.

I was looking at trader NPC as a means of having a waitress in cafe. Does that mean I want cafes spawning everywhere? No. Do I want all the cafes to look like chain store or same menu? No. My idea of cafe design may not fit into another player's dreams.

I would keep buildings for the player to decide. The NPCs who inhabit the space should be main thrust of this mod.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Mon Mar 04, 2013 18:52

There are many ways of using NPC and village/building generators. All have their usage in diffrent situations as Michael Eh mentioned.

The 'character sets' could probably be achieved by grouping skins of NPC into sets and limiting NPC in one area to one group? Behaviour might be affected as well, though they mostly seem to wander around happily right now, occasionally opening doors or jumping above fences. That's general enough to fit almost everywhere.

The trader from random_buildings (which, as I already said, is mostly a simple interface for the mobf trader from sapier) can be spawned manually already into player-built buildings. On a multiplayer server, I'd expect players to build the houses, not NPC. Except maybe for purely survival/RPG servers. Currently each type of trader will sell the same goods - thus, you'd currently need two waitress types if you want one to sell coffee and one cake.

peaceful_npc is a great mod for providing NPC that wander around happily randomly and just "fill" the area a bit with life. Maybe they could learn to greet the player or open formspecs and offer "friendly" players something of low value or ask for help occasionally.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Mon Mar 04, 2013 19:52

jojo I tried your latest git of peaceful_npc - now there are way WAY too many NPCs. I recommend cutting them to about 1/10 the current number.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 21:02

VanessaE wrote:jojo I tried your latest git of peaceful_npc - now there are way WAY too many NPCs. I recommend cutting them to about 1/10 the current number.
I fixed it but the spawning rate will stay the same now. I plan on making a rewrite aka editing stuff so it is easier to find things.

Sokomine wrote:Once the mod is ready, I'll release it most likely under GPLv3, so modifying it ought to be no problem. Until it is released, there may be changes to code and reorganization. The next step will be to turn it into a modpack so that parts of it can be used seperately when dependencies are not fulfilled.
The trader is mostly a function of sapiers mobf and thus depends on it. My random_buildings/mobf_trader.lua is an easier interface to give the trader the goods he ought to trade. Feel free to use it but be aware that there may be changes to the code in the future.
Ok I really need a way to randomly spawn villages using world edit schematics. I plan on making the villages 10,000 blocks apart so they are common but not overcrowding. Also i might lower the wandering npcs and make the village npcs stay within the village somehow. Also there would be many villages and maybe even underground ones. Sokamine i will definitely be using your code to make chests get items.

Michael Eh? wrote:I think village generator should be a seperate mod and NPCs be placed within buildings or villages. This way the user/admin can decide on what style to take.

This is why I feel peaceful_npc should work on 'character sets' rather than random characters put forth by users. Modern town would look stupid with RPG characters and visa versa. Making a mod flexible is best course. The direction should be decided by the user.

Having random townfolk might make an area popular on the map because it looks busy. While having random folk in popular area only slow things down.

I was looking at trader NPC as a means of having a waitress in cafe. Does that mean I want cafes spawning everywhere? No. Do I want all the cafes to look like chain store or same menu? No. My idea of cafe design may not fit into another player's dreams.

I would keep buildings for the player to decide. The NPCs who inhabit the space should be main thrust of this mod.
I will be having some chests that could be made that will give you another chest like towntest and you could choose a bunch of houses. I am naming each type of house by biome so you could tell it easily from other biomes. I plan on making different types of npcs but i kinda have to wait until player setting is configurable.

@Anyone I will base my mod off minecraft npcs until i get a good base going and then i will start improving on it. Now the default buildings will be copies of minecrafts layouts since they are nice looking and small in my opinion.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 21:23

I am holding a contest for village buildings. Rules
Single Buildings:
1) no more than 20x20x15
2) if bigger than the size limit then must have multiple applications for npcs or must give a good reason
3) can only use default blocks since i want this mod to depend on vanilla minetest.
4) not floating water or lava since the new finite liquid setting would ruin it.
5) must be able to go in one of the themes unless good reason provided

Villages:
1) any size but the building rules 1-4 must apply(for the individual buildings not the entire village)
2) must have a definable barrier of some sort (fences, blocks, walls, etc.)
3) must have some roadway system (can be water)

Themes:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
[color=red]Plains[/color]
-cobble or stone base types
-not really big houses unless something special like place of worship or town hall

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
[color=blue]Underwater/Underground[/color]
-must have some type of dome barrier or something
-has to have a lot of lighting
-needs to have some type of solid flooring

[color=purple]Desert[/color]
-must use desert materials
-can't have lava

[color=yellow]Beach/Sand[/color]
-must use sand or wood
-no cobble

[color=brown]Forest[/color]
-must have wood based stuff and little cobble
-no lava (due to accidental burning)
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:59

For ease of modding i will be rewriting this mod. That means making the mod more like my megatools in the structure of stuff. Should i add some blocks that will add stuff for aesthetic purposes?
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

BorisGrishenko

by BorisGrishenko » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:40

Why when I restart the game, the NPC's skin changes? This does not go good for me and Bikini Santa. D=

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 15:10

I think it is because since skins are choose randomly and every time you reload the game the skins also load randomly.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Wed Mar 06, 2013 02:52

Sigh.. what a mess that build was. The NPC fence was useless unless you had it stacked 2 high. being that the NPCfenceposts are invisible it was tough trying to remember so I put torches on top. :P Water traps worked better in keeping the clones in check. So if you use this, a moat would be better than invisible fencing.

I thought it was generator so I tried looking for it. Nope. Actually when tried I used a summoner it gave the error...

Server -> Nope!

I would like to see more server side config so it can be restricted. Maybe the same permissions as Bad_Command's teleporter.

So what can I say for improvement?

Drop the village buildings. Work on NPCs only move so far from their portal then disappear.

What can be done with village idea? Tie into with trader so one blacksmith, lumberjack, clay trader with random buildings that can either be random spawn to set in place by admin. The admin inputs the central location for the village. That way this would spur on development where the admin wants it.

Make peaceful_npcs NOT A village mod but make peaceful_npc as PART OF A village mod along with trader mod.
Last edited by Michael Eh? on Wed Mar 06, 2013 02:54, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 03:28

i will be removing the npc fence and auto spawner. for somereason i cant get it to work. also you need the peaceful_npc priv to place summoners
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Wed Mar 06, 2013 04:56

It's just as well, I had to remove this from my server again, because there are still too many NPCs all over the place. You gotta find a nice balance...

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases