In-game: jessiebessie

Re: [Mod] NonCubic Blocks Mod [1.4] [noncubic]

by jessiebessie » Mon Sep 29, 2014 14:34

How does it work? I made one and I can't seem to make it work
Jess[size=200][color=#FF4000][/color][/size]

Topywo

by Topywo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 06:56

jessiebessie wrote:How does it work? I made one and I can't seem to make it work

See the 1st post of this thread. Put the material in the 'in' part. Try out with cobble or normal wood. Then choose a shape in the upper part and a size in the lower part. The result you can take from the 'out' part. Just try it out a bit.

- Iirc it doesn't accept all blocks you put in it, just some basic (wood, cobble, stone, brick, sandstone, dirt, leaves, tree and steelblock), though you can off course add more by copy/pasting the code and filling in the blocks you prefer.

mr.street

In-game: TheZutafly Richard

by mr.street » Thu Sep 10, 2015 20:52

-- edited --
Ignore this post wrong thread.

minetestcr

Re:

by minetestcr » Wed Oct 07, 2015 19:01

Jeija wrote:An Octagon wouldn't actually be less polygons because the modding api only lets you create cuboids.

Hello, I'm curious about this cuboids because the home decor modpack has nodes with toilet shape, or bottle shape, etc., so, does that mod use other api that is not cuboid dependant? Maybe the question is idiotic, but I want to understand the difference....

Nathan.S

GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Wed Oct 07, 2015 19:22

Minetestcr the question isn't dumb at all, for making nodes there are two basic options. Use the nodebox editor(NBE) or create a mesh with a 3d program and export them in a format that minetest handles. The models in the home decor modpack are meshes created in Blender and exported as obj, meshes allow for rounded smooth shapes. Cuboids are made with the NBE, most of the time, you could create cubic meshes with Blender if you wanted
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website.

minetestcr

by minetestcr » Wed Oct 07, 2015 19:29

Nathan.S wrote:Minetestcr the question isn't dumb at all, for making nodes there are two basic options. Use the nodebox editor(NBE) or create a mesh with a 3d program and export them in a format that minetest handles. The models in the home decor modpack are meshes created in Blender and exported as obj, meshes allow for rounded smooth shapes. Cuboids are made with the NBE, most of the time, you could create cubic meshes with Blender if you wanted

Thanks "Nathan.S", that makes it clear for me. So, is there a big difference in performance? Wich one is lighter or heavier for the game?

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Wed Oct 07, 2015 20:11

I personally have never noticed any difference. From what I recall all the nodebox stuff is turned into meshes by the engine when the game starts, so the only difference there should be in performance should be based on the level of detail. Nodebox things tend to be simpler, they have fewer faces and less data to them. A mesh on the other hand could have millions of faces, now there probably wouldn't me much reason to have something with that many faces in Minetest, but theoretically it would be possible with a powerful enough computer. I've been using meshes since they were available, and haven't ever noticed any lag in places where I have a lot of them. The mylandscaping mod uses meshnodes for all the wall parts and machines, and I've seen that on a server with giant walls and noticed no lag.
Check out my website.

jp

GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Wed Oct 07, 2015 22:14

Nathan.S wrote:Nodebox things tend to be simpler, they have fewer faces and less data to them.

Wrong, a nodebox model have the same amount of vertices per face than a native mesh model. But a nodebox model also have a lot of hidden faces since a nodebox is necessarily 6 faces. In a native mesh model you can optimize the amount of faces and their associated vertices for modelizing.

This is why we have been optimizing the default stairs to a mesh model for 0.4.13.
Last edited by jp on Sat Oct 10, 2015 09:04, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Thu Oct 08, 2015 14:21

Correct JP, I didn't clarify well enough, due to the nature of Nodeboxes they tend to be simpler than meshes, but if one were to create the same model in both formats the mesh would be smaller and more efficient.
Check out my website.

HulkSmashRocks

by HulkSmashRocks » Fri Oct 09, 2015 19:50

jp wrote: a nodebox is ... 4 faces

Nodeboxes are 6 faces, not 4 though? And aren't each of those faces made of two triangles? So each nodebox becomes a mesh of 12 polys?
Please correct me if wrong I am still learning about these things too :) Personally from what I've seen I'm not a fan of building models with nodeboxes; they seem horribly convoluted and leave lots of 'excess matter' in the model...

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Fri Oct 09, 2015 19:57

Nodeboxes help keep the cubic look so in a way they are good. They are also easier to learn how to make. The nodebox editor makes it really easy. The nodebox editor also gives the option to export to mesh. This makes it easier to make mesh nodes without learning to use blender.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Nathan.S

by Nathan.S » Fri Oct 09, 2015 20:05

Correct, a box has a top, bottom, left, right, front, and back so yes, six faces, each face is two triangles so yes you get twelve polys for every nodebox.
Check out my website.

jp

GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Sat Oct 10, 2015 09:20

HulkSmashRocks wrote:Nodeboxes are 6 faces, not 4 though?

Oops, indeed - was tired. Corrected ;) And yes, a nodebox is a mesh with 12 triangles and 8 vertices. Now make the total with 50 nodeboxes in a model, which have been placed thousands of times in a map... Rather scary, isn't it ?

So to sum it up : if you're making a primitive shape, a nodebox model is OK. But if you're trying to make a realistic shape and you autistically stick with the nodeboxes, you should feel ashamed to offer such inefficient and vulgar turd to your users just for avoiding a couple of hours of learning Blender and reaching the excellence. No pain, no gain.

Not My Real Account

by Not My Real Account » Sat Aug 13, 2016 00:35

I'm unable to craft the milling machine. Has the recipe changed? I'm attempting to craft in in my inventory with (from left to right) a stone brick block, stick, and stone brick block on the top row, three wood planks in the middle row, and a stick, an empty space, and a stick on the bottom row.

KCoombes

In-game: Knatt or Rudilyn

by KCoombes » Sat Aug 13, 2016 01:03

Try this:

output = 'noncubic:mill',
recipe = {
{'default:cobble', 'default:stick', 'default:cobble'},
{'default:wood', 'default:wood', 'default:wood'},
{'default:stick', "", 'default:stick'},

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

by MineYoshi » Sat Aug 13, 2016 18:42

KCoombes wrote:Try this:

recipe = {

Exactly This:

CobbleStone - Stick - CobbleStone
Wood - Wood - Wood
Stick - Empty - Stick
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Not My Real Account

by Not My Real Account » Sun Aug 14, 2016 03:44

MineYoshi wrote:
KCoombes wrote:Try this:

recipe = {

Exactly This:

CobbleStone - Stick - CobbleStone
Wood - Wood - Wood
Stick - Empty - Stick

I have tried the recipe that was suggested here, using both planks and "tree" in place of "wood," and still have not succeeded in crafting the milling machine. Does this have something to do with the version of Minetest I am running (0.4.14), or perhaps I have not installed the correct version of the mod? Also, how do I craft doors with this mod?

KCoombes

In-game: Knatt or Rudilyn

by KCoombes » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:24

Not My Real Account wrote:-snip-
I have tried the recipe that was suggested here, using both planks and "tree" in place of "wood," and still have not succeeded in crafting the milling machine. Does this have something to do with the version of Minetest I am running (0.4.14), or perhaps I have not installed the correct version of the mod? Also, how do I craft doors with this mod?

I have no problems running this mod with 0.4.14. There are no doors in this mod.

Previous

Return to Mod Releases