[Mod] Boost cart [boost_cart]

Fixerol

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

Re: [Mod] Boost cart [boost_cart]

by Fixerol » Wed Jun 29, 2016 17:20

ATTENTION!!! Mod have bug: if you put cart and then disconnect and connect again - cart will not work.

That bug was fixed :) Enjoy your railways! Works nice for me.

by 222 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 09:36

Krock wrote:
amadin wrote:You may try adding the following under the handbrake function:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
if ctrl and ctrl.up then
acc = acc + 0.5
end

I've tried adding it after
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
if ctrl and ctrl.down and math.abs(vel.x + vel.z) > 1.2 then
            acc = acc - 1.2
         end

and I'm not seeing a difference. Did I put it in the wrong place?
Thanks.

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:57

222 wrote:and I'm not seeing a difference. Did I put it in the wrong place?

No, you added it correctly. To make the difference bigger, try changing the value to 1 instead of 0.5:
acc = acc + 1

When you did everything correctly, it should work properly.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

luewind

In-game: luewind

by luewind » Fri Aug 12, 2016 15:58

Decided to try this mod because the base carts mode was too buggy and so far have like it. I have found two possible issues; I have a rather large square mine under my base and wanted to use rails to easily get up and down. he going down isn't the issue but going up is the issue. I currently have boost rails every other rail but just using the power of the boost rails to move the cart forward its only able to climb ~24 block before is slows down too much and heads back down. The only reason i can gather that the cart slows down is that dir.y gets too large, a dir.y value of 3 or greater will negate any acc from the boost rails.

the other issue is that this code:
if mesecon then
      boost_cart:signal_detector_rail(vector.round(pos))
end

still throws a nil exception. the fix you recently made on github to line 27 of the init file will fix it. What is odd is that i have mesecons installed but the detector rail is not available.

Krock

by Krock » Fri Aug 12, 2016 18:45

luewind wrote:still throws a nil exception. the fix you recently made on github to line 27 of the init file will fix it. What is odd is that i have mesecons installed but the detector rail is not available.

Thanks for the report. This bug was fixed in the most recent commit: 7d6132

If it still doesn't work after this commit, check if you enabled the mod "mesecons" or reinstall the complete modpack if required.

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Sun Aug 14, 2016 02:03

Today it just occurred to me that the arrow keys are not working for me. I assumed it was a laptop thing. I tried with a real keyboard as well. I can not use the arrows to turn at crossings, nor can I brake with the down arrow key. I tried on our server and also in singleplayer.
Minetest does see my arrow keys as I can toggle through command history in chat. That said... is it possible the new chat could be affecting this for boost carts? Can anyone replicate this behavior? Or am I missing something?
Love the mod by the way.
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

Krock

by Krock » Sun Aug 14, 2016 07:23

ExeterDad wrote:Today it just occurred to me that the arrow keys are not working for me.

Using Lua it's not possible to check the <- ^ v -> arrow keys, thus you must use A and D to switch the rails.
Surely it works in the chat, because it's a client side thing ;)

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Sun Aug 14, 2016 17:32

Thanks Krock. I completely misunderstood. I took it as literal that the < ^ v > keys were used in this mod. Can't believe I never thought to try the WASD keys *headsmack

I'll check it out later when we play again.
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Jesseman1

In-game: Jesseman1 or Plant_Operator

by Jesseman1 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 20:22

Quick question: I've never updated a mod before, so is the link found on the first page changed with every update, or do I need to scroll through the list of replies to find it?

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Thu Sep 15, 2016 20:34

The links in his first post are linked to his GitHub. Those kind of links are the latest code.
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Krock

by Krock » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:51

Update time

There is now a slightly modified version of this boost_cart mod in the official minetest_game. Thus, you will most likely not need this mod anymore after the release of Minetest 0.4.15.
However, there are some differences:

Mesecons
When enabled, they are used to turn the acceleration of power- and brake-rails on and off. In the MTG (minetest_game) version you won't be able to turn them off again: all rails have a pre-defined acceleration value, which cannot be changed per node (yet).

Additional rails
The start/stop and detector rails, which depend on mesecons, are only available in this mod. They will result in unknown nodes when disabling boost_cart.

Other..
Also the people people who use a different subgame can still use carts without the effort to copy & paste the carts mod out of MTG. All subgames which contain the default mod (= almost all of them) are fully supported.

Latest changes (in boost_cart)
New rail textures, the T junction rails now show the default choosen direction, when no key is pressed to move the cart in the opposite direction.

Don't forget to report bugs and ask questions - bring the development along!

ABJ

GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

by ABJ » Tue Nov 29, 2016 19:39

Hey why the change?

redblade7

IRC: redblade7 redblade bleakfire
In-game: redblade7

by redblade7 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 06:22

There is a big problem with the included carts mod now: you can't punch a side to change the direction, it just keeps going and going until you pick it up. So on my server I moved carts out of games/minetest_game/mods while leaving boost_cart there.

There is a bug a player discovered: /home does not work when you are inside a cart.
-redblade7
Admin of:

* THE CREATIVE GARDENS (Creative Mode server)
* THE VALLEYS (Sandbox Server)
* THE DIGITAL FARMS (Pizza-like server with protection and emphasis on farming)

Krock

by Krock » Fri Dec 09, 2016 19:45

ABJ wrote:Hey why the change?

Because I can. \o/

redblade7 wrote:you can't punch a side to change the direction, it just keeps going and going until you pick it up.

I tested this with the latest version of MTG's carts on a Windows in-development build and couldn't reproduce this issue. Please download/pull the newest version from GitHub and try again.
redblade7 wrote:/home does not work when you are inside a cart.

/teleport does not work then aswell. Mods that use attachments like beds, boats and planes have the same behaviour. It would mess up these mods when the players would be force teleported, thus this is not a bug and logically won't be fixed.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 20:04

Krock wrote:
redblade7 wrote:you can't punch a side to change the direction, it just keeps going and going until you pick it up.

I tested this with the latest version of MTG's carts on a Windows in-development build and couldn't reproduce this issue. Please download/pull the newest version from GitHub and try again.

MTG's powered rails without mesecons power plants are as fast as your powered rails with mesecons power plants. So there's no "in-between speed" for rail systems already built.
-redblade7
Admin of:

hajo

by hajo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 15:04

Are there any maps / demo-tracks with'railroads' or rollercoasters ?

Maybe map/worldedit-downloads or (links to) screenshots or (youtube-)videos ?
Some of 'my' wiki-pages: Build-a-home - basic-robot - basic-machines - digtron

BirgitLachner

In-game: Bibs

by BirgitLachner » Wed Jan 11, 2017 08:39

As boost cart ist now part of the main Minetest Game ...

can I use levers or other mesecon parts to change the direction a cart takes when it comes to crossing?

Another thing I found out ... when I drive down in a cart the view of the cart from inside is not correct. Looks like I'm outside/behind the cart.

And hopefully, the carts will once collide to each other because there can be any number of carts in each other in one place.

lightseer

by lightseer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 18:04

Thanks.

I had trouble finding (on this site) the dependencies for the mod which list the following dependencies: cart, mesecons, moreores. I'm putting the links up here for the next noob.

Here are links to the threads:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2451&hilit=cart
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=549
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=628

Damned

by Damned » Tue Jan 31, 2017 03:07

I've just updated minetest to 4.15 and it seems to be having a problem with the now built-in boost carts. It seem that it's not recongnising all the powered rails.
I run a server on a windows machine, don't use mesecons mod.
With the previous 4.14 build I could achieve a steady circular climb out of a deep mine using 2 powered rails out of every 10, climbing 4 nodes with a 90 degree turn at the top.

This worked perfectly fine. The cart would climb at a steady rate without going too fast to cause it to start jumping about when it can't cope with the constant change of position. However, since updating to 4.15, it hits the 2 powered rails but doesn't get a boost. I've tried it on a flat area with the same results. Adding a 3rd powered rail does finally give a boost, but it's the equivalent of only 1 rail so it gets part way up the slope, stops, and rolls back.

On the flat, I laid 3 boosts for every 25 rails. In 4.14 it would move along a a steady pace with an occasional jump as it loads the next portion of map, but in 4.15, it seems to be getting a bigger boost so ends up jumping all over the place as it can't cope with the speed and change in position.

So now it's struggling to go uphill and too fast on the flat. I've looked through the code and the only thing I can see is a change on the acceleration from 0.5 to 5; from a float to an integer? Otherwise I can see no difference unless I've missed something. Any advice?

ABJ

GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

by ABJ » Tue Jan 31, 2017 08:59

try replacing the power rails? it might work

Damned

by Damned » Tue Jan 31, 2017 16:20

I tried that, but it made no difference.

Damned

by Damned » Tue Jan 31, 2017 18:52

I've been having another play with the rail over a private server using build 4.15 with built-in boost carts.
Using a 15x15 grid with a filled 5x5 grid in the center with 8 5x5 areas. Lokks the same when you craft an oven.
1 2 3
8 * 4
7 6 5

Rails run from the center of 1 through 2 to 3 with a 90 degree turn through 4 to 5 and so on. Drops 4 node at positions 2,4,6 and 8, finishing at area 1 16 nodes below starting point. In other words, a circular stairway.

This is what I've observed, compared to 4.14 using boost carts release from Sept/Oct 2016, before the last update?

with 4.14:
2 powered rails at the bottom would be enough to boost the cart to the next level where it would hit the next 2 boosts and so on, resulting in a steady climb
with 4.15
2 powered rails will only get it part way up to the next level before rolling back. 3 will do it sometimes, 4 will do it most of the time, but not always.

Prior to update, using more than 2 powered rails plus the downhill acceleration would result in the cart flying off all the time. However now it doesn't seem to be producing the same effect with more power rails laid. To me, what I believe I'm seeing is 2 things. 1... when the cart loses it position it goes back to where it was, but doesn't remember the speed it was traveling at. 2... It's not always regonising what type of rail it's on.
Example:
After leaving the power rail it's traveling at a speed of 7 losing 1 point of speed every block, after a couple of blocks it loses it's position, it's at speed 5. When it jumps back to the previous position (1 block) it should have a speed of 6 but thinks it only has a speed of 5 so loses another point of speed when it moves ahead.

It could explain the other observation I made yesterday when running on the flat when it suddenly got a much faster boost than previously. If it's on a power rail and it boost the speed to 7, then on the next block loses it's position and goes back one, sees it on a boost rail again and ups the speed to 8

BirgitLachner

by BirgitLachner » Sat Feb 11, 2017 17:52

I tried to use a Mesecon Switch to start a cart in 0.4.15 but it does not work.

Is it a connection problem? The cable is not connected to the rail as seen in the picture at the threads first page.

Krock

by Krock » Sat Feb 11, 2017 20:51

BirgitLachner wrote:The cable is not connected to the rail as seen in the picture at the threads first page.

Please make sure that you've enabled boost_cart in your world. The rather new carts mod from minetest_game is a modified version that does not offer mesecon support.

BirgitLachner

by BirgitLachner » Sun Feb 12, 2017 09:35

Okay ... thats it. I hoped that there were fully inmplemented. Thanks.

mase

In-game: mase

by mase » Mon Mar 20, 2017 15:27

I have a similar problem to Damned's one. I have a deep mine with a permanent climb rate of 45 degrees.
Even when I place a powered rail every 2 rails, there is not enough power to reach the top.
So it is not possible to transport minerals to the daylight without sitting in the cart and do permanent
punching. And even if this would work, such an amount of powered rails would be too expensive.
Maybe adding a cart with its own drive would be an idea.

Krock

by Krock » Fri Mar 24, 2017 17:59

mase wrote:Even when I place a powered rail every 2 rails, there is not enough power to reach the top.

That's something I haven't though about when matching boost_cart's behaviour similar to the MTG (minetest_game) version.
Yesterday I had no time to announce this here. With the most recent commit the speed loss/gain for the Y direction was reduced from 2.5 to 2 (previously 1.8). This means that the carts don't behave the similar way as before and thus may break some newer rollercoasters that base on the higher speed gain while driving downwards.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 04:38

hajo wrote:Are there any maps / demo-tracks with'railroads' or rollercoasters ?

Maybe map/worldedit-downloads or (links to) screenshots or (youtube-)videos ?

There is a "Winter Wonderland Park & Resort" on Creative Gardens.
-redblade7
Admin of:

Previous

Return to Mod Releases