[Mod] Sedimentology [sedimentology]

snoopy

Re: [Mod] Sedimentology [sedimentology-mt]

by snoopy » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:09

This is a great idea and an excellent mod, thanks a lot. My kids and me use this mod since 0.4.13 and we truly enjoy the effects. The changes to the environment are smoothly taking effect and the overall appearance is very appropriate.

Maybe you could extend some of the effects to new default nodes like e.g. default:cobble_microslab and alike?

Example: The microslab could take cracks (maybe difficult) or could just vanish (more easy) like cobble can degrade to gravel already.
In our LAN world we are building bridges with cobble/desert cobble and we use both cobble and cobble microslabs for streets and the latter as a cover for smooth cobble stairways for streets rising into the terrain. Naturally a microslab cannot change into gravel as this would produce an unwanted block node instead of a surface node.

Some of my kids love the need of regular repairs to our streets. Your mod adds positively to the game feeling.
Enjoying Minetest by Neoascetic's and Morn76's builds on Mac OS X 10.11.6 clients with local server and several modifications.

sofar

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Sat Oct 29, 2016 19:16

snoopy wrote:Maybe you could extend some of the effects to new default nodes like e.g. default:cobble_microslab and alike?

I've thought about this, and perhaps it's something that could be an addon that takes the effect of this mod a step further.

However, due to the complexities you already mentioned, I decided early on that I would make this mod only affect semi-natural (e.g. placed by mapgen) blocks in the world. This does indeed make for fun roads :)

Chiu ChunLing

by Chiu ChunLing » Sun Oct 30, 2016 02:09

Good to know about minetest after. The description on the wiki is less than perfectly clear about what happens when it is called, it says something just ambiguous enough that I didn't feel like messing with it in recursion.

I'm coding the slope-based erosion myself, I just wanted to be relatively sure I wasn't wasting my effort (because it IS a bit of an effort). For my part, I think that I want to work primarily with active blocks but I can definitely see advantages to doing some of the work "out of sight" of players. I think I'm also going to do something with on_dignode and on_breaknode to work some of the effects that I want happening more immediately (also needing to define some on_construct functions for some of the new falling nodes I'm adding to represent fallen bits of nodes, very tiresome and currently less than elegant trying to get the effect I'm wanting).

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 18:05

Note: This mod has an invalid shortname. Dashes are not permitted. Only a-z and numbers and underscores IIRC.

Please fix this.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

sofar

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Sat Nov 05, 2016 20:32

Wuzzy wrote:Note: This mod has an invalid shortname. Dashes are not permitted. Only a-z and numbers and underscores IIRC.

Please fix this.

You mean in the forum post title? The mod itself (github, tarball, etc.) all don't have any hyphens. I fixed the forum post title anyway - it didn't seem to break the mod finder and rubenwardy's mod app.

Previous

Return to Mod Releases