[Mod] Unified Inventory [git][unified_inventory]

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: [Mod] Unified Inventory [git][unified_inventory]

by Don » Sat Oct 10, 2015 17:37

VanessaE wrote:est31 has fixed this in the engine, so I've re-enabled the crafting-grid commit.

Awesome.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Soudon

In-game: Soudon

by Soudon » Sat Oct 31, 2015 02:48

How to i disable the give option for people on my server that I don't want just giving themselves items.

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Sat Oct 31, 2015 13:54

Just make sure they don't have "creative" or "give" privileges.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

kino2007

GitHub: kino2007
IRC: kino
In-game: kingprofession

by kino2007 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 06:34

Um... why does my unified inventory not work?
I can't turn it on my world! But, can you fix this?
    1) I am in 0.4.13
    2) The device I'm using is galaxy tab 3v

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 13:57

You have to tap "Configure Mods"

Also, did you rename it to "unified_inventory"?

Nyarg

by Nyarg » Thu May 19, 2016 15:25

VanessaE wrote:Please post any ideas you may have to help improve it.
No problem )

Is it possible add list of installed mods ?
Click on member of list fill item area with only selected mod items.

And back over.
In common mode clicking on any item or hover over give us tooltip with name of parent mod ?

Something like here (minecraft: I don't know what mod do it)
+ Spoiler
I am a noob. still yet. Not so noob ) [vml] WIP
"My english isn't well" I know. I'm sorry )

bark

In-game: bark

by bark » Sun May 22, 2016 14:34

The waypoints function is truly elegant!

Idea: When the player dies, a waypoint is created at the location of the bones, and removed when the bones are picked up.

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 13:30

Overall, this mod is pretty useful as it puts many important features (creative inventory, crafting guide, etc.) neatly into one place. It is especially useful for complex subgames or when using a lot of mods and nodes.
This mod has the best crafting guide of all crafting guide mods I know.
The crafting guide is almost perfect:
- Very easy to use, almost all buttons have a function
- It correctly displays group elements
- It shows the group members
- It recognizes ingredients as well
- It differentiates between shaped and shapeless recipes
- Even drops are recognized (although not perfectly: in Minetest Game, sapling can be optained by chance by digging leaves, but this drop does not appear in the mod)

Why the crafting guide is not perfect:
- Misses out on the tool repair recipe (if available)
- Item replacements are not recognized (keyword “replacements” in lua_api.txt)
- In ingredient mode, items are not recognized as furnace fuel (e.g. if I set dry grass (default:dry_grass_1) as ingredient, it displays it has no usages, which is false since it can be used as fuel)
- Shows itemstring instead of real name
- Going through many crafting recipe alternations is time-consuming (adding a “back” button could fix this)
- Tooltip for group items is incorrect (shows item name instead of group name) … but groups are messy in Minetest anyways, I think there is no easy way to fix this; this is more Minetest's fault here to not support non-technical group names
- Only items with crafts are apparently shown. This is flawed since this prevents going to ingredient mode for a particular item
- Search box does not remember entered text

Suggestions:
- Clicking *again* on an item button in the list of all items should toggle between ingredient/result mode (the same happens when you click the leftmost button, directly below the item name)
- For fixing the drops by chance: New crafting type of “Digging (by chance)” could be added with a pickaxe+question mark symbol of some sort.
- When clicking on a group item, the specific group filter should also be pre-entered in the search box so it becomes clear the user can search manually for groups that way
- Add a reset button to empty the search and display everything

Genral comments:
Major criticisms of this mod:
- Allows everyone to teleport home for free / without home privilege (or another dedicated privilege). I suggest to check the home privilege from the sethome mod, and, if this mod is not present, register the privilege on your own, then check it. Reason: This breaks PvP. If you are hunting a player or about to kill someone, the player can just teleport away
- Built-in bags support, rather than making it an extension of some sort. Bad because it again affects gameplay by giving up to 96 additional inventory slots
- In general, I do not expect an *inventory* mod to make the player more powerful in any way. I wish this mod as such would be “nothing more” than an interface enhancement and NOT also something which makes gameplay easier. Gameplay features could be released as seperate mods with unified_inventory dependency
- Dependency for bags is not listed, but this part obviously depends on wool, farming and default for the crafts (at least optionally so)
- Inventory cannot be closed with the I key because this enters into the searchbox. So you can't just press “II” to quickly open and close your inventory screen to look what you have.

Minor criticisms:
- Trash button is useless in non-creative mode. It should be hidden in this mode
- In general, useless buttons should be hidden
- Using the chat for error messages is not good, as the inventory menu is over the chat so the chat might be invisible (at least partially). You could just make a simple error box formspec for that (label + OK button).

EDIT: Added more text. :P
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

burli

by burli » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:08

My daughter wrote some books and then hit accidentally "clear inventory". Is it possible to get them back?

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Thu Aug 04, 2016 14:36

Nope, it's not possible. That button erases the inventory list entirely.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 06:52

Wow, that's sad.
I noticed that in singleplayer, Unified Inventory allows you to do way to much nonsense. You don't need Creative Mode.
It's pretty much cheating. You can grab just any item you want, you can set the time freely, and you can clear the inventory. IMO singleplayer needs to be more restrictive by default, currently it allows WAY too much cheating. So add this to my complaint list above. ;-)
Thats probably also the reason why the accident happened. Maybe.

Does Unified Inventory maybe just check for the give privilege and allows all this stuff when it is present? Too bad you can't get rid of this privilege in singleplayer. Why are irrevokable privilages a thing, anyway?

Gerald

In-game: gerald7

by Gerald » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:47

Wuzzy wrote:Does Unified Inventory maybe just check for the give privilege and allows all this stuff when it is present? Too bad you can't get rid of this privilege in singleplayer. Why are irrevokable privilages a thing, anyway?

I think if you want to set time, it checks for the settime privilege, which is irrevokable too. Only the home button works parallel to the mod. The problem is not the inventory, because you can do the same using commands. The problem is the privelege system. It makes sense that you cannot revoke the grant privelege, but everything else should be disabled by default.

ph8jPf9M

GitHub: 22i

by ph8jPf9M » Sat Aug 06, 2016 06:32

i would suggest to make the inventory theme more customizable just like the vanila minetest inventory
in which all you need to do is to change the gui_formbg picture in the default textures to change the color and look.

In unified inventory if you want to change the look of it you need to modify ui_form_bg for background and ui_main_inventory
to change the inventory slots colors with its background.

If not anything else make ui_single_slot picture affect every other inventory slot

other things i would suggest:
-move the refill near search and trash slot down to the right of bags, achievements and armor.
-crafting table more to the right and craft result preview to the middle instead of upper corner
-make an option to make searching non automatic for closing the inventory without escape easier
-merge the armor with the basic inventory. same with bags
-ability to save multiple inventories and load it after

Is there a way to change the button color?

if you want to try out the black theme first download the https://github.com/Gamerbude/Minetest_TNG/blob/master/mods/default/textures/gui_formbg.png rename it to ui_form_bg then download black theme attachment and rename it to ui_main_inventory and put both into unified inventory texture folder. The black theme was inspired by minetest tng subgame https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14145
Attachments
black inventory 2.png
black theme 2
black inventory 2.png (4.93 KiB) Viewed 3091 times
black inventory 1.png
black theme 1
black inventory 1.png (2.44 KiB) Viewed 3091 times
unified inventory black theme.png
black theme ingame
unified inventory black theme.png (400.8 KiB) Viewed 3091 times

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sun Aug 07, 2016 14:18

I might interest some people here that I have recently put some work into this mod (especially the crafting guide). The following features wait for approval:

- Fix crafting recipes larger than 3×3 breaking the UI (mod would support sizes up to 16×16)
- Partial support for complex node drops (especially probability-based ones), like jungle grass → (maybe) a cotton seed (I will explain it in more detail when it is actually included into the mod)
- Toggle recipe/usage mode when you click on current item in the item list
- Add search reset button
- Don't clear search field after searching
- Insert group name into search field when clicking a group button
- Fix misleading tooltips of group buttons; they now show the actual group name
- Add “back” button for alterate recipes
- Show real item name in crafting guide instead of the very technical itemstring
- Update translation stuff (esp. German)

burli

by burli » Sun Aug 07, 2016 14:44

+1

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 21:15

Okay, now all features I have previously posted are now officially part of Unified Inventory.

As promised, here's a more detailed explanation of the display of more complex node drops:

Some blocks have a more complicated type of drop. They don't just drop 1 item, but they may drop multiple different items, or some items purely based on probability.
These complex drops were previously not displayed in UI, but now they are.
The biggest new feature here is that items which *may* drop from a block are now displayed as well.
For example, jungle grass can drop itself or cotton seed, based on luck.

In the Unified Inventory, when you click on the crafting guide to learn the “crafts” about cotton seed, you will now see jungle grass as “Mining (by chance)”. This means mining 1 jungle grass might drop 1 cotton seed.
Note that self-drops (e.g. dirt drops itself) are still hidden in UI, no matter if guaranteed or by luck only.

Other examples you can check out in UI right now:
- Gravel → Flint
- Leaves → Sapling
- Grass → Wheat seed

Note that Minetest Game's drops are mostly rather simple. So this new feature becomes more interesting for very complex drops:
If a block may, let's say, drop randomly 1-3 items, the UI will display it as “Mining (by chance)” and show a “3” in the result item. Note the number displayed is the maximum possible number of items you can get by mining this block. Also, any additional item type dropped by the block will simply be displayed as a seperate “craft”.
Also note that any “craft” displayed as “Digging” only is interpreted as a guaranteed drop. This means, you always get this drop by mining the block. The “Digging (by chance)” is a chance which is added on top of the guaranteed drop.

Note the feature may not catch all complex drops perfectly, very tricky drops may still be displayed, but with incorrect numbers. Most notably, the drops of the wheat and cotton plants in Minetest Game are still missing because they are hidden from creative inventory. Maybe this bug will get fixed later.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Wed Aug 17, 2016 03:54

That's a nice addition. That way it will become easier to figure out how to obtain certain items and materials. Unified_inventory is a very useful mod. It takes getting used to, but once that's managed, you don't want to miss it anymore.
A list of my mods can be found here.

KCoombes

In-game: Knatt or Rudilyn

by KCoombes » Mon Aug 29, 2016 16:07

Ok, have totally different issue now:

Fixed the issue with 3d_armor and UI (needed to update both), now getting an error only with my mod(wip).

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
2016-08-29 16:01:25: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Runtime error from mod 'unified_inventory' in callback environment_Step(): ...4.14-b11720a-win32\bin\..\mods\unified_inventory/api.lua:85: attempt to get length of field 'items' (a nil value)

line 85 refers to mutliple drops in a register_node definition; I have 1 such node definition in my mod. My code:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
   drop = {
      max_items = 2,
      items = {
      {items = {"default:cobble"},
      rarity = 1},
      {items = {"custom:item_1"},
      rarity = 7},
      {items = {"custom:item_2"},
      rarity = 6},
      {items = {"custom:item_3"},
      rarity = 5},
      {items = {"custom:item_4"},
      rarity = 4},
      {items = {"custom:item_5"},
      rarity = 3},
      {items = {"custom:item_6"},
      rarity = 2},
      {items = {"custom:item_7"},
      rarity = 1},
      },

The desired outcome is 1 default:cobble and 1 of 7 other items - this was functioning prior to the update to UI involving the UI craft guide showing the 'maybe' drops of items. Do I need to back up to a previous version of UI, or can my code be tweaked to allow for the newer UI?

KCoombes

In-game: Knatt or Rudilyn

by KCoombes » Mon Aug 29, 2016 21:40

Sorry for the double post - someday I'll remember editing a post does not result in a 'new post'.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sun Nov 06, 2016 00:22

One of the most frustrating things in UI is that it is WAY too overpowered in singleplayer survival.
You can get everything for free, set the time and teleport home for free. This can't be really fixed in Unified Inventory since it depends on privileges.

I figured out that Minetest is actually at fault here, for granting absurdly many privileges which cannot be revoked. Especially it is not possible to get rid of give, settime and home, which is the reason why UI is currently overpowered in singleplayer.

For those who are annoyed by UI's overpoweredness, here's a workaround:

Go into the Minetest directory, then copy builtin/privileges.lua to builtin/privileges.lua.backup (this is a backup file in case things go wrong), and then replace the contents of builtin/privileges.lua with the following code:
-- Minetest: builtin/privileges.lua

--
-- Privileges
--

core.registered_privileges = {}

function core.register_privilege(name, param)
   local function fill_defaults(def)
      if def.give_to_singleplayer == nil then
         def.give_to_singleplayer = true
      end
      if def.description == nil then
         def.description = "(no description)"
      end
   end
   local def = {}
   if type(param) == "table" then
      def = param
   else
      def = {description = param}
   end
   fill_defaults(def)
   core.registered_privileges[name] = def
end

core.register_privilege("interact", "Can interact with things and modify the world")
core.register_privilege("privs", "Can modify privileges")
core.register_privilege("basic_privs", "Can modify 'shout' and 'interact' privileges")
core.register_privilege("shout", "Can speak in chat")

core.register_privilege("teleport", {
   description = "Can use /teleport command",
   give_to_singleplayer = false,
})
core.register_privilege("bring", {
   description = "Can teleport other players",
})
core.register_privilege("settime", {
   description = "Can use /time",
})
core.register_privilege("server", {
   descriptino = "Can do server maintenance stuff",
})
core.register_privilege("protection_bypass", {
   description = "Can bypass node protection in the world",
})
core.register_privilege("ban", {
   description = "Can ban and unban players",
})
core.register_privilege("kick", {
   description = "Can kick players",
})
core.register_privilege("give", {
   description = "Can use /give and /giveme",
})
core.register_privilege("password", {
   description = "Can use /setpassword and /clearpassword",
})
core.register_privilege("fly", {
   description = "Can fly using the free_move mode",
})
core.register_privilege("fast", {
   description = "Can walk fast using the fast_move mode",
})
core.register_privilege("noclip", {
   description = "Can fly through walls",
})
core.register_privilege("rollback", {
   description = "Can use the rollback functionality",
})

In Minetest Game, you also have to edit mods/sethome/init.lua. Replace this line:
minetest.register_privilege("home", "Can use /sethome and /home")

With this:
minetest.register_privilege("home", {
description = "Can use /sethome and /home",
give_to_singleplayer = false
})

In new singleplayer worlds, you will now only start off with these privileges: interact, shout, basic_privs and privs. You will not be able anymore to get stuff for free, can not set the time and can not teleport home. At least by default. You still can do “/grant singleplayer all” anytime you want to get your cheats back. ;-)

In existing singleplayer worlds, you might need to use /revoke singleplayer all in the console first. With this workaround, this command will now actually work.

I hope the list of default singleplayer privileges gets reduced in official Minetest and Minetest Game so you won't need that workaround in the future.

bell07

GitHub: bell07

by bell07 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 06:24

As I wrote already in bug request: Agree the privileges should not be irrevocable for single player. But the issue in unified inventory is the second one. In singleplayer I do not need to disallow the cheating for me self. I like cheats. But the cheats should be "hacky" and not regular gameplay functionality implemented as buttons in inventory screen. If I play survival the game experience is broken with unified inventory because the "giveme_1-99" buttons are very near to the "craft_1-99" buttons. The chance for wrong-clicks is high.
So my proposal is to disable all cheating buttons in unified inventory by default in non-creative mode to not touch the expected game experience.
I do not like all cheating buttons, my daughter do not need the giveme buttons but like the set_day button. The other daughter like all buttons. So it will be nice to have a user-preferences-configuration for the cheating buttons. If enabled the UI should further check the permission for the cheat.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:39

@bell07: Everything you said is true. But the “cheating” buttons in UI depend on your privileges.
If you have the “settime” priv, you can set time and day. If you have the “home” priv, you can set a home position and teleport back to it. If you have the “give” or “creative” priv, you can give stuff to yourselves. Each feature is unavailable without those privs.

This works just fine in multiplayer, and your suggestion already works, by using privs.
The real problem is that singleplayer has too many irrevokable default privs. If the list of default privs is reduced, all these issues are removed. Just apply my workaround, then you start off without any of those super features, but you can use “/grant singleplayer” all anytime, of course.

I have also posted pull requests for Minetest and Minetest Game to reduce the list of default singleplayer privs. If they get merged, UI will work out of the box. I tested it. So this shows that the issue lies in Minetest and Minetest Game, and NOT in UI.

EDIT: The priv changes got merged into Minetest. If you download the experimental Minetest developer version from now on, you will as singleplayer only start with minimal privileges (but you can always use “/grantme all”). Which fixes the overpoweredness of UI in singleplayer. :-)

Wuzzy

New features

by Wuzzy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 18:20

Recent changes in Unified Inventory:

- Buttons which are useless to you becauce you lack privileges are now disabled and look like this:

- Crafting guide result now shows the “real” item name along the itemstring.
- Enabled “Give me” buttons in Creative Mode and with creative privilege as well
- Unified Inventory hard-depends on default now. :-( Sorry, non-Minetest-Game users, Unified Inventory is now useless for you. It was a nice time having you. Good riddance! xD (I think this should be reverted)
- Bag inventories now have a trash slot

PS: I started a poll about Unified Inventory's bags here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=15957&p=241076

mahmutelmas06

GitHub: mahmutelmas06
IRC: mahmutelmas06
In-game: masum

by mahmutelmas06 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 20:40

Why not hide buttons completely instead of making them shadow.
My Mods:

Beverage

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 21:32

Because they could be re-enabled when you get new privs, i.e. at any time in the game. The functionality is not completely gone. Also, the positions of the buttons stay the same at all times.

mahmutelmas06

by mahmutelmas06 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 07:29

I think they should be optional buttons. We should able to disable them in options.
Like disable_admin_buttons = true

or you can combine them into a menu.
My Mods:

Beverage

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:31

No, mahmutelmas06, this is completely unneccessary IMO. The buttons are simply enabled on a privilege basis:

• Set time to 6:00: settime
  • Set time to 18:00: settime
  • Go home: home (from Minetest Game)
  • Set home: home (from Minetest Game)
  • Clear inventory: creative (from Unified Inventory), or Creative Mode is enabled

The feature is actually not new (the buttons did not work w/o privs previously as well), it is only an interface change to improve visual feedback.

xeranas

GitHub: xeranas

by xeranas » Thu Dec 01, 2016 16:21

I would prefer to pixel art based icons as they would look more "naturally" in minetest. But that's maybe just me.

Andrey01

In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 16:50

VanessaE, what did you write the article still about Unifed Inventory for, if that mod was done earlier by RealBadAngel?

mahmutelmas06

by mahmutelmas06 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 18:06

xeranas wrote:I would prefer to pixel art based icons as they would look more "naturally" in minetest. But that's maybe just me.

+1
My Mods:

Beverage

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases