[Mod] Technic [0.4.16-dev] [technic]

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Fri Oct 28, 2016 20:34

minetest-technic/technic is the original mod, other versions are something between out of date and changes ahead

Chiu ChunLing

Re: [Mod] Technic [0.4.11] [technic]

by Chiu ChunLing » Sat Oct 29, 2016 06:30

So...basically just rely on when something was last modified?

SegFault22

Re: [Mod] Technic [0.4.10] [technic]

by SegFault22 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 08:35

Cryterion wrote:I've noticed this is still the case, any suggestions on a workaround to rather having to modify any updates everytime!

Cryterion wrote:Hi

had a bit of a problem trying to register an mv machine to be used in another mod, and found the following code changed fixed the naming convention error I kept getting

in /technic/technic/machines/register/machine_base.lua

line 126

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
minetest.register_node("technic:"..ltier.."_"..machine_name, {

change it to
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
minetest.register_node(":technic:"..ltier.."_"..machine_name, {

and line 158

minetest.register_node(":technic:"..ltier.."_"..machine_name.."_active",{

changed it to
minetest.register_node(":technic:"..ltier.."_"..machine_name.."_active",{

It still keeps technic functional, but will allow other mods to register lv,mv and hv machines if they wish to use the technic functions.

It may be possible for the mod to set a global variable "modname", with the string value "technic" assigned; this is then concatenated to the machine's id in the register function call, before the colon. It would look somewhat like this:
minetest.register_node(modname..":technic:"..ltier.."_"..machine_name, {

Then, any mod adding technic machines must also assign the "modname" global variable to the correct mod name string (which is of course the name of the folder which the mod is in). This way, whenever the mod adding more machines is loaded, it always uses its correct mod name as the prefix, and the naming convention is always followed (as long as that global variable gets set before the mod which adds more machines is loaded, of course). I believe this is better than using the prefix colon, which is intended for overriding registry entries which already exist (if I remember correctly).

However, I am not sure if this will work smoothly with the rest of the technic system, as I have not used it much (at all). You will have to test it to determine if it would work in this case. I have tested it with simple nodes and items, though, so this does work as long as the mod doesn't do something weird and complicated-ish which would require all of its nodes/items to be registered with the same mod name in the id string. I am not totally sure why this does work (possibly an effect of how mod loading order is implemented, and the naming convention as well), but it does work, and it doesn't introduce any (yet visible) bugs with the nodes/items registered this way, so I believe it is safe to use this as a feature without the risk of it getting totally deprecated and removed in an update some time later.

I discovered this when I was working on a mod, said mod adding several functions which wrap some of the minetest.register_*() functions. The mod is intended to be used to register items/nodes/whatever easily, by having the functions produce from a few input parameters all of the necessary parameters which are needed by the registry function call. I thought there would be a problem with the mod name used as the prefix of the id strings of the registry entries - so I did this simple experiment to see what happens, when the name of the mod which calls one of those functions is used as the prefix for the id of the registry entry, using a global variable to keep up with the mod name, and it worked on the first try. I didn't actually believe that it would work (I didn't know either way), so I was surprised when it did work.

EDIT: This only works if the code of the Technic mod is changed, to use a "modname" global variable as the prefix for registry entry ids. You can not do this from the side of another mod.

You may be able to interface with the Technic system without using the registry function call which is inside its code (make your own function which sets the metadata values correctly, maybe making an entry to relevant tables in the Technic side if that is necessary), but that may be significantly limited and very hacky, depending on how the technic power system works. I have never looked at the Technic power system much, and I am planning to make a power systems library that might be more use-able - however it will not be intended to replace Technic, since it is best to do one thing and do it well, instead of trying to do what everyone/someone else is doing except better somehow.
Last edited by SegFault22 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 08:46, edited 1 time in total.

Byakuren

GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri

by Byakuren » Mon Oct 31, 2016 08:38

minetest.get_current_modname is a thing too
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 08:55

Byakuren wrote:minetest.get_current_modname is a thing too

That may also be useful, in the event that a developer wants to be able to change their mod's folder name without causing any errors within. However, it is much longer than simply doing modname = <mod name>, unless your mod's name is more than 17 characters long.

It could be used to prevent being bugged by newbies who haven't happened to learn that you must rename the mod folder to <modname> instead of <modname>_master as it is fresh off of github, but that is the only other use for it which I know. It is pretty annoying, and I can see how this could be added just to give a way to easily take care of that.

So it would be best to concatenate minetest.get_current_modname() as the prefix to all of the ids in all of the registry function calls. Then it doesn't matter what mod is loaded, and said mods don't have to set any global variable - they can call the wrapping function directly, and all of the created nodes/items/whatever will get registered with the modname prefix of the mod which is loading when the registry function call was done.

Edit: When I was doing that experiment I mentioned, I thought that there was a minetest function that gets the current mod's name, but I couldn't remember the call at that time, so I just set it directly. I should have looked for it after the experiment, and replaced the global variable with that function call.

Byakuren

by Byakuren » Mon Oct 31, 2016 09:09

So it would be best to concatenate minetest.get_current_modname() as the prefix to all of the ids in all of the registry function calls.

This is what I meant to suggest, sorry for being vague.

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Maybe a critical error?

by Wuzzy » Wed Nov 09, 2016 02:26

technic/technic/machines/MV/lighting.lua has outdated intllib boilerplate code, which has a dofile to a directory outside this mod. This is a violation of mod security, which means your mod might break when both intllib and mod security are enabled at the same time.

I have not experienced a direct failure because of this, but please update the boilerplate code anyway. It might be a hidden bug.

See here for the new boilerplate code:
https://github.com/minetest-mods/intllib
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

cHyper

IRC: cHyper
In-game: cHyper

by cHyper » Wed Nov 09, 2016 17:36

is this modpack up to date? are there any issues?

thanks for your help!

ABJ

GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

by ABJ » Wed Nov 09, 2016 18:41

Well, the original developer is no longer alive, so the thread can't be updated, but it's open source, so yeah.

cHyper

IRC: cHyper
In-game: cHyper

by cHyper » Wed Nov 09, 2016 18:47

ABJ wrote:Well, the original developer is no longer alive, so the thread can't be updated, but it's open source, so yeah.

I know.
maybe somebody could continue this project.

ABJ

by ABJ » Wed Nov 09, 2016 19:07

The hell did I say that for?

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Thu Nov 10, 2016 01:28

The commit log is a better place to see if the mod is active.

Moderators can edit the first post if there's any issue.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

ABJ

by ABJ » Thu Nov 10, 2016 08:34

I doubt a whole lot of people would do that though.

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sat Nov 19, 2016 02:40

Inocudom wrote:This strange error came up:
2016-11-08 00:07:08: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/derek/.minetest/mods/scifi_nodes/init.lua:
2016-11-08 00:07:08: ERROR[Main]: /usr/local/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:130: attempt to compare number with string
2016-11-08 00:07:08: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-11-08 00:07:08: ERROR[Main]: /usr/local/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:130: in function 'register_item'
2016-11-08 00:07:08: ERROR[Main]: /usr/local/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:206: in function 'really_register_node'
2016-11-08 00:07:08: ERROR[Main]: .../derek/.minetest/mods/technic/technic_worldgen/nodes.lua:159: in function 'really_register_node'
2016-11-08 00:07:08: ERROR[Main]: ...derek/.minetest/mods/technic/technic_worldgen/crafts.lua:167: in function 'register_node'
2016-11-08 00:07:08: ERROR[Main]: /home/derek/.minetest/mods/scifi_nodes/init.lua:336: in main chunk
2016-11-08 00:07:08: ERROR[Main]: Check debug.txt for details.
When technic is disabled:
2016-11-08 00:35:44: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/derek/.minetest/mods/scifi_nodes/init.lua:
2016-11-08 00:35:44: ERROR[Main]: /usr/local/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:130: attempt to compare number with string
2016-11-08 00:35:44: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-11-08 00:35:44: ERROR[Main]: /usr/local/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:130: in function 'register_item'
2016-11-08 00:35:44: ERROR[Main]: /usr/local/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:206: in function 'register_node'
2016-11-08 00:35:44: ERROR[Main]: /home/derek/.minetest/mods/scifi_nodes/init.lua:336: in main chunk
2016-11-08 00:35:44: ERROR[Main]: Check debug.txt for details.

Techic does not get along with scifi_nodes too well.

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:02

l experienced such errors after the light_source value tests were added, maybe light_source is set to a string at some node definition in the scifi mod.

Byakuren

by Byakuren » Sun Nov 20, 2016 21:20

It's been fixed already, light_source was set as a string for some nodes.

Jesseman1

In-game: Jesseman1 or Plant_Operator

by Jesseman1 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 00:24

Nore wrote:If you're using Ubuntu or one of its derivatives, you might have a not-so-recent version: could you paste your version number here?

I apologize for such a long wait before responding; are you asking for my current OS version number, or the version number of Minetest I'm currently running?

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Tue Dec 27, 2016 16:39

l assume they asks for your minetest version number.

DS-minetest

GitHub: DS-Minetest
In-game: DS

by DS-minetest » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:44

you could tell both, OS and Minetest version number
Do not call me -minetest.
Call me DS or DS-minetest.
I am German, so you don't have to pm me English if you are also German.
The background is a lie.

Fixerol

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixerol » Fri Dec 30, 2016 19:27

Important info:

Technic-worldgen is known to cause lua "Out Of Memory" (OOM) errors in default minetest builds. If you experience such problems, you can use unofficial minetest 0.4.15 stable build made by sfan5 that has simple lua, that provides much more memory, but is somewhat slower: https://kitsunemimi.pw/tmp/minetest-0.4 ... t-win64.7z You can also compile it yourself.

This build can also be used with other memory consuming mods, including worldedit for large scale work.

GreenDimond

GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Thu Jan 05, 2017 15:59

Ok, so I have a recipe question. Normally if I wanted to remove a recipe using a mod, I would re-register it and give it an output of 0. Unfortunately, I tried this with a technic compressor recipe and it didn't work. How do I remove the [Desert Sand] --> [Desert Stone] Technic compressor recipe? (from a different mod of course).
I am Green. I tend to binge-post. "All of this over a 16x16 representation of a cartoon cat ?!?! what has this world come to..." -TenPlus1, 2017.
Diz mah mods! :D ↑ github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/1647#issuecomment-288134572 ↑
Sand Plus - Tac Nayn - Waffles - Coming Soon: Caverealms Plus

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Thu Jan 05, 2017 16:57

Fixerol, if l remember correctly, l fixed the OOM crashes in my fork.

GreenDiamond, https://github.com/minetest-technic/tec ... es.lua#L53
after the unwanted recipe is added by technic, execute following:
print(dump(technic.recipes))
then search for your unwanted recipe in the shown table, after that write code which takes it from that table
the removal code may look similar to this:
technic.recipes["compres"].recipes["mod:sand"] = nil

GreenDimond

Re:

by GreenDimond » Fri Jan 06, 2017 00:20

Hybrid Dog wrote:Fixerol, if l remember correctly, l fixed the OOM crashes in my fork.

GreenDiamond, https://github.com/minetest-technic/tec ... es.lua#L53
after the unwanted recipe is added by technic, execute following:
print(dump(technic.recipes))
then search for your unwanted recipe in the shown table, after that write code which takes it from that table
the removal code may look similar to this:
technic.recipes["compres"].recipes["mod:sand"] = nil

So, putting technic.recipes['compressing'].recipes['default:sand 2'] = nil doesnt work... what do I write to take it out of the table?
I am Green. I tend to binge-post. "All of this over a 16x16 representation of a cartoon cat ?!?! what has this world come to..." -TenPlus1, 2017.
Diz mah mods! :D ↑ github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/1647#issuecomment-288134572 ↑

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:58

The index is "default:desert_sand", not "default:sand 2".
technic.recipes.compressing.recipes["default:desert_sand"] = nil
Don't trust the craft guide, it's not up to date after removing the recipe.

GreenDimond

Re:

by GreenDimond » Fri Jan 06, 2017 17:03

Hybrid Dog wrote:The index is "default:desert_sand", not "default:sand 2".
Don't trust the craft guide, it's not up to date after removing the recipe.

ah, thankyou, but that still does not work D:

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Fri Jan 06, 2017 19:28

How about this:
minetest.after(2, function()
end)

GreenDimond

Re:

by GreenDimond » Fri Jan 06, 2017 23:34

Hybrid Dog wrote:How about this:
minetest.after(2, function()
end)

N̶o̶p̶e̶ ̶:̶(̶
So, that works on its own in a separate mod without my mod. What I want to do is get rid of that recipe and replace it with a different recipe ([Desert Sand 2] --> [Other Node]). How do I do this?
Last edited by GreenDimond on Sat Jan 07, 2017 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

Fixerol

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

Re:

by Fixerol » Sat Jan 07, 2017 00:37

Hybrid Dog wrote:Fixerol, if l remember correctly, l fixed the OOM crashes in my fork.

Can you post it in PR section of original technic repo? Maybe it will be merged.

Andrey01

In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 17:37

When i installed version 0.4.15 i was getting error:
"Failed to load and run script from /home/administrator/.minetest/mods/scifi_nodes/init.lua:
/usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:130: attempt to compare number with string stack traceback:
/usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:130: in function 'register_item'
/usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:206: in function 'really_register_node'
...trator/.minetest/mods/technic/technic_worldgen/nodes.lua:159: in function 'really_register_node'
...rator/.minetest/mods/technic/technic_worldgen/crafts.lua:167: in function 'register_node'

Does anybody know what is it?

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:37

Andrey01, that was a bug in the scifi_nodes mod.
Fixerol, sorry, l didn't remember correctly. Once l fixed an on_generated, maybe in the snow mod, which did not use the vmanip mapgen object but made its own one instead; it caused odd mapgen artifacts l think. https://github.com/HybridDog/technic/co ... 27e497?w=1
Anyway, OOM crashes often blame the wrong mods l think.

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases