[Mod] Shrubs [v1.5] [shrub]

SegFault22

[Mod] Shrubs [v1.5] [shrub]

by SegFault22 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 21:38

Hello all, this is the first of my mods to ever reach a useful, public-ready 1.0. Hopefully it will not be forgotten and/or otherwise lost in the depths of the forgotten pages of the forum.
--------------------------------
Have you ever seen dry shrubs in a desert, and felt sorry for them - as they are just sitting there, dying, with no water? Well, now you can help those poor shrubs, by giving them water!
This mod adds 2 things: Shrubs, and a crafting recipe to turn dry shrubs into shrubs. Doing this requires 8 dry shrubs and a bucket of water. Here's how to craft:
doing so gives 8 shrubs, and returns an empty bucket.
In v1.5+, shrubs will spawn near other shrubs, but only on default:dirt_with_grass. Also, the process is very slow. To keep them from spawning, keep your shrubs away from default:dirt_with_grass that is touching any corners, vertices, or faces of the shrub itself.
Licensing:
LGPLv2/later
Dependencies:
Default, bucket.
DOWNLOAD:
V1.0
V1.5(unstable - ABM makes shrubs spawn everywhere when one is placed)
Last edited by SegFault22 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 01:35, edited 1 time in total.
Resources are abundant; only money is scarce. People should not have to work hard and remain poor just to pay for the needs of survival.
Society can thrive without money - but only if productive members of society are rewarded for being productive.

LandMine

by LandMine » Sun Oct 07, 2012 21:46

Nice Mod giving shrubs a use. I think you should expand from here, and give the green shrubs some use as well.

Also you can use minus.com or mediafire.com to upload files.

Will look for future updates.
List Of My Creative Servers - http://planetminetest.com
The Walls - PvP Map - http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2906

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 22:12

Ah, thank you for the examples for upload sites. In the future I plan to add more shrub stuff, maybe a way to grow shrubs bigger and grow different shrubs depending on what blocks they are on and the blocks under those blocks.
Thank you for your support.
Resources are abundant; only money is scarce. People should not have to work hard and remain poor just to pay for the needs of survival.
Society can thrive without money - but only if productive members of society are rewarded for being productive.

GloopMaster

by GloopMaster » Mon Oct 08, 2012 02:41

how about...

shrubs spawn on grass, crafting optional, can be crafted to junglegrass like paper to a book.
Meow.

That is all.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 03:00

Well, I don't know about making them spawn on grass...yet. Maybe, placing shrubs on grass or dirt, makes them spawn more around them? So that one would have to introduce some into the environment before any more grow :D

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 05:31

=UPDATE=
-Added ABM that spawns shrubs near other shrubs (only on default:dirt_with_grass)
-Altered texture a bit
-NOTE that there is a problem with the ABM, that may cause shrubs to spawn everywhere after one is placed. This has not been tested a lot, it may or may not happen, so stick to v1.0 until this is fixed.
DOWNLOAD: V1.5
Last edited by SegFault22 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

GloopMaster

by GloopMaster » Wed Oct 10, 2012 17:59

take a look at mapgen.lua, dry shrubs are created there.

change instances of default:desert_sand to default:dirt_with_grass and default:dry_shrub to shrubs:shrub (or whatever your node is called)
Meow.

That is all.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 20:58

That's what I was thinking of doing. But, I want the shrubs to generate in large numbers, like what you see in rolling plains and the like. Only problem is, they'll spawn everywhere, in all biomes that have grass. So how would one go about only making them spawn in one biome, or only spawning in large, mostly-flat regions?

Topywo

by Topywo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 21:05

I think I remember that in the animal mods there are animals created in different types of terrain based on the amount of light. I think also Vanessa's seaweed works like that. Maybe you can use that.

Good luck with the mod!

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 23:12

I want to avoid ABMs at this stage, until shrubs are generated with MapGen in grassy-flatland areas. After that, I will use some ABM stuff to make them spawn around other shrubs, and maybe even add ferns and other shrubs/small plants to the mod.
Thank you for your support.

GloopMaster

by GloopMaster » Thu Oct 11, 2012 13:46

As far as minetest cares, grassy plain == forest.

As said before, you could check the light level. But this would also cause them to not be generated at night, so idk.
Meow.

That is all.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 03:07

Eh, I guess it's fine if they generate everywhere. People can clear them if they want to build a home, and grass grows tall like that in real-life, so wouldn't that make more sense that the tall grass needs to be cleared first?
Updating to v2.0 soon.

Ragnarok

by Ragnarok » Thu Jan 17, 2013 21:19

Knock, knock. When will be version 2.0? I'm looking forward to :)

Return to Mod Releases