[Mod] cottages [cottages] (medieval, farming, country life)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Wed Jan 15, 2014 06:23

[Edit 14.09.14]Please see first posting for current version.[/Edit]

Update: Version 2.0 is out - Now with missing crafting receipes added - and more!

Window shutters now open and close window shutters that are directly above and below them whenever they are operated or auto-close/open at night/in the morning. Thus, two nodes high windows with shutters look less chaotic.

Barrels and tubs can be crafted:
ImageImageImage

The stove pipe (kind of like a panel that is more slim than those from stairsplus):

Roofs using homedecor shingles as textures and craft receipes could not be crafted if homedecor was not installed. Thus, there are some alternate receipes now:
ImageImageImage

The dirt road lacked stairs and slabs. While I was on it, I added stairs+slabs for loam and clay as well:
ImageImage
Crafting is the same as with default stairs:
ImageImage

It is pretty often annoying not to be able to place any sort of handrail at the top of stairs, or to have a fence that's not in the middle of the node. My bridges and handrails mod may be overkill in those situations, but here's a smaller version now included in cottage:
It cannot be combined with the gate. Instead, use a half door. Crafting:
ImageImageImage

The old receipe for getting straw mats and subsequently straw nodes of any kind was impractical and interferred with other crafting receipes for wheat (flour, seeds). Plus the way wheat is handled in farming is a bit strange. Getting wheat seeds (for flour for breads) and straw out of harvested wheat now works like this:
Craft a threshing floor (in reality, any harder floor might do - but not in MT):
Place it on the floor:
Insert wheat and punch it with a normal stick:
Repeat punching until all the wheat has been converted into straw and seeds.

Seeds are not only good for creating new plants - they're also the stuff flour is made out off. Craft yourshelf a handmill:
This is how the mill looks like (textures could need improvement):
Insert wheat seeds and punch the mill (no stick needed this time):
Proceed until all your wheat seeds have been turned into flour. The mill handle will rotate at each successful punch. And instead of 1 flour per 4 harvested wheat, you'll get 1 flour per wheat seed.

See the first posting in this thread for the attached 2.0 version.

Happy farming!
Last edited by Sokomine on Sun Sep 14, 2014 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
A list of my mods can be found here.

webdesigner97

GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 07:58

Very awesome! Hope VanessaE updates soon so I can put the stuff in my village!

Topywo

by Topywo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 09:49

Those are some nice improvements of this already good mod!

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Wed Jan 15, 2014 09:57

I just did heheh. it'll go in at tonight's regular backup cycle (in about 4 minutes from now :D ).
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

rommiekerova

In-game: Andromeda

by rommiekerova » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:20

Oh this is just awesome! I love the cottages mod I got from randombuildings but with the addition of a mill and the path stairs I can stop using inappropriate bricks to make a path in my medieval styled city. Onle slight niggling detail is the path textures in VanessaE's HDX pack is the grass for the paths is more vibrant than the normal grass and stands out a bit.
My Mods: Kerova - https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=8054
My Server: Kalisae - https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=9040 <--CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:01

I updated that in HDX three days ago, you're just out of date :-)

https://github.com/VanessaE/hdx-512/commit/064004e59e6bd8496959570338d8aad00c555d72

(affects all sizes, but the commit IDs will be different since they are different repositories)
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

by philipbenr » Thu Jan 16, 2014 03:48

Looks Great. +9^9
"The Foot is down!"

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Jan 18, 2014 14:29

Minor update: The crafting receipes for the fences/handrails now work even if you have xfences installed and allow them to replace the default wooden fence.

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sat Jan 18, 2014 15:40

This mod looks nice, how did you make those nodes?
They do not look like those from nodebox codes.
Let us put stuff into the barrels :)
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Thu Jan 23, 2014 03:46

Another update:

Minor change: The fence/handrail has another texture (the same as almost all the other wooden objects).

Haches turned out to be missing. There are situations where they can be practical. There are a wooden and a steel hatch. Use the screwdriver to rotate them and use them as doors for e.g. shelves. Right-clicking will open/close them. Craft receipes:
ImageImage
The many hatches mods that are out there are usually not installed on servers. This is just one minor addition that works with one node (two, if you count the steel version).

RealTest has very decorative anvils that are an integral part of that game. While the functionality of the anvil can hardly be transfered to a normal MineTest game (we already have crafting receipes for tools), they are equally decorative in such a game and may be used to repair tools.
To use one, craft anvil and hammer:
ImageImage
The nodebox for the anvil comes from RealTest, and the texture for the hammer comes from GloopMasters GloopTest.
Place the anvil somewhere, right-click it, put the damaged tool (or armour) in the anvil's workpiece slot, wield the hammer and punch the anvil with the hammer until it tells you that your tool is fixed. Each stroke of the hammer equivals 5 secons in a technic toolworkshop.

I'm unsure weather the repair function might be too strong or not. I was mostly looking for something to play with regarding the anvil - something to do with it, to interact. It would be possible to limit the anvil to some sort of materials/tools (i.e. wood, stone, steel, bronze) and create a more powerful obsidian or steelblock based version for mese, diamond and mithril tools. Server owners that don't want such a repair function could then limit usage to the basic anvil.

What is your opinion?

twoelk

by twoelk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:32

/me likes

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Fri Jan 24, 2014 04:14

There's an anvil in the castle mod I wasn't aware of. It has the same receipe but looks diffrently. Thanks to a suggestion from VanessaE, both anvils can now be converted/crafted into each other.

Also the hammer has been turned into a less useful tool. It was never intended as a replacement for a pick.

twoelk

by twoelk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 09:53

aaand now all we need is turning dirt roads or one side edges. Maybe similar to the way rails adjust when placed in angles?

Different materials are cool. So what happens if I hit an obsidian anvil with a diamond hammer?
I have always wondered why when I use desert stone I do not get redish tools or a desert stone furnace.

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Fri Jan 24, 2014 13:00

That door on the bottom are really cool, go on with this project.
I like it :)
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Fri Jan 24, 2014 16:02

Krock wrote:This mod looks nice, how did you make those nodes?
They do not look like those from nodebox codes.

They're normal nodeboxes made by hand. For the round ones, code for round trees was a great help.

Krock wrote:Let us put stuff into the barrels :)

That's someting that still needs to be done. The fermented bevrages mod is something I wanted to prepare my barrels for for some time.

Krock wrote:That door on the bottom are really cool, go on with this project.

The hatches? Those have hinges and a knob so that you can see how they're rotated :-) Perhaps I ought to switch the half door to this method as well - the inverted version would then no longer be necessary. A slightly modified texture might indicate the door's orientation.

twoelk wrote:aaand now all we need is turning dirt roads or one side edges. Maybe similar to the way rails adjust when placed in angles?

I've been wondering how to do this as well. The trouble is that those roads are usually two nodes wide - and if those turn around, you hit the same problem as with rails: In order for it to look good, you'd need two diffrent angles. Real rails are bent differently.
Perhaps someone could modify the texture in order to create a corner so that I may experiment a bit with it. I'm not good at doing any textures.

twoelk wrote:Different materials are cool. So what happens if I hit an obsidian anvil with a diamond hammer?

Obsidian - beeing a strong material in MT - might be used to work on MESE and diamond. The obsidian texture looks good on the anvil. The diamond block one works less well. Steelblock is also ok.

twoelk wrote:I have always wondered why when I use desert stone I do not get redish tools or a desert stone furnace.

That's because you do not have the desert_uses mod installed. Sounds as if you want it :-)

valhalla

by valhalla » Fri Feb 07, 2014 19:47

Sokomine wrote:
Krock wrote:Let us put stuff into the barrels :)

That's someting that still needs to be done. The fermented bevrages mod is something I wanted to prepare my barrels for for some time.

And now that the new version of cottages is out, I will look at the new barrels and resume working on fermented beverages (in a few weeks, when I'll have a bit more time).

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Feb 08, 2014 01:15

valhalla wrote:And now that the new version of cottages is out, I will look at the new barrels and resume working on fermented beverages (in a few weeks, when I'll have a bit more time).

That sounds good!

There's also the wine from Mauvebic's aero mod. It has a fine texture and can be harvested repeatedly (the wine grows back). Wine and beer would be perfect bevrages for the barrels. And then there's the JKfarming mod which supplies wine as well.

jp

GitHub: kilbith

Re: [Mod] cottages [cottages]

by jp » Mon Aug 25, 2014 17:37

Sokomine, two suggests for a worthy topic :

- your mod provides a cute old-style farming stuff, and the 'cottages' name isn't enough significative in this theme. I'm afraid that it doesn't help people who try to find it in searching in this theme. Could change a bit the title, please ?

- the pictures has disappeared in your 1st post, can you update them ?

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Mon Aug 25, 2014 21:03

jp wrote:- your mod provides a cute old-style farming stuff, and the 'cottages' name isn't enough significative in this theme. I'm afraid that it doesn't help people who try to find it in searching in this theme. Could change a bit the title, please ?

It took me a long time and some asking around to come up with the cottages name :-) Do you have any suggestion as to how players may find the mod easier? I'm afraid lots of players have not noticed yet that there's an anvil for repairing tools, and that there's a set of tools for processing harvested wheat. Other mods may far even worse as nobody remembers them at all anymore.

jp wrote:- the pictures has disappeared in your 1st post, can you update them ?

Sadly, two image hosters went down since the mod has been posted. I need to put the images somewhere where I don't have to adjust the links every few month due to disappearing image hosters. I havn't found a really good solution yet.

jp

GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Mon Aug 25, 2014 21:41

You can keep cottages as title and just add 'farm' or 'CountryLife' in tag...

Minetestforfun

GitHub: Darcidride
IRC: Darcidride + MinetestForFun
In-game: Darcidride + MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Tue Aug 26, 2014 01:12

i haven't try your mod because they aren't screenshots (not corrupted), sorry if say that... But it's VERY important for me :)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sun Sep 14, 2014 00:04

LOTS of missing pictures added. I really hope the new image hoster will live long!

As for the mod itshelf: Slate for roofs and as a building block was recently added. I've also supplied a version of the window that does not sit in the center of the block but at the edge of it. The flat wooden planks carry the texture of the other furniture in this mod and may sometimes be useful.

Sokomine

Re: [Mod] cottages [cottages] (medieval, farming, country li

by Sokomine » Sun Sep 14, 2014 03:11

jp wrote:You can keep cottages as title and just add 'farm' or 'CountryLife' in tag...

I've added "medieval, farming, country life" and hope that'll help. Thanks for your suggestion!

Minetestforfun

GitHub: Darcidride
IRC: Darcidride + MinetestForFun
In-game: Darcidride + MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Sun Sep 14, 2014 22:03

Thank you Sokomine ! Very interresting mod ! i will try it soon !

balthazariv

by balthazariv » Sun Sep 14, 2014 22:08

Thanks Sokomine,

Why you don't put this mod in your Github

Sol

In-game: sol

by Sol » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:59

balthazariv wrote:Thanks Sokomine,

Why you don't put this mod in your Github

It's in random_buildings.
There is no such thing as duty. If you know that a thing is right, you want to do it. If you don't want to do it—it isn't right. If it's right and you don't want to do it—you don't know what right is and you're not a man. -- Ayn Rand

balthazariv

by balthazariv » Mon Sep 15, 2014 20:23

Sol wrote:It's in random_buildings.

OK, I hadn't seen that it was included in random_buildings

lightonflux

In-game: lof

by lightonflux » Tue Mar 17, 2015 05:58

It is really annoying that the anvil spams the chat. Would it be possible to use the notification above the hud instead?

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Tue Mar 17, 2015 17:35

lightonflux wrote:It is really annoying that the anvil spams the chat. Would it be possible to use the notification above the hud instead?

Does the hud work without additional mods now? If so, and if you can tell me how the function is called, I can change it. Guess the same applies to the threshing floor. That also sends chat messages to the player.

lightonflux

In-game: lof

by lightonflux » Wed Mar 18, 2015 07:32

Good question.

I think it is possible.

Throwing Advanced displays that the bow reloads in bow.lua. Link: git repo.

The function used is hud_add().

Code example from mentioned mod:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
        local throwing_hud = player:hud_add({
            hud_elem_type = "text",
            position = {x=0.6,y=0.5},
            text = "Reloading...",
            number = 0xFF0000,
        })

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases