jin_xi

by jin_xi » Sat Jul 14, 2012 08:50

great work!

Temperest

GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Mon Jul 16, 2012 18:48

Look! A marker!

WorldEdit v1.1 is an incremental update:

• Fixed a bug reported by cosarara97 in which positions were not correctly sorted.
  • Add position markers with entities (see above screenshot)
  • Add //reset command, which resets the WorldEdit region to its empty state,
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Mon Jul 16, 2012 19:01

You should also add //dig too!

OH, you did. DERH!
Last edited by Jordach on Mon Jul 16, 2012 19:03, edited 1 time in total.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Mon Jul 16, 2012 20:04

Can you fix the //light command? If I build an object, then erase it (//set air), it often leaves behind a very dark shadow, depending on the size of the object, and nothing gets rid of it. Unless I'm using it wrong of course.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

Temperest

by Temperest » Mon Jul 16, 2012 21:20

VanessaE wrote:Can you fix the //light command? If I build an object, then erase it (//set air), it often leaves behind a very dark shadow, depending on the size of the object, and nothing gets rid of it. Unless I'm using it wrong of course.

I couldn't seem to make it work, unfortunately. However, the //dig command was added to accomplish the same goal:

1. Use //pos1, //pos2, and //set to make a "roof" over the shadow with a node that is not transparent. It must be over the very top of the shadow, although it doesn't have to cover the whole width or length.
  2. Use //dig to remove the roof as if the player had done it. This causes lighting to be recalculated. WARNING: this may take a while for larger roofs, please be patient.

This technique is a rephrasal of cosarara97's original description some posts earlier.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Mon Jul 16, 2012 22:09

Ah, sounds good. I'll do that in the future. Guess I missed cosarara97's post :-)
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:21

Temperest wrote:sfan5, if you're willing to merge this I'll be glad to assist you with it. If you're not, I can understand, in that case I will publish it separately. If you want to discuss the license change, I'm willing to talk about it.

• I want to merge it, but i don't think you can change a GPLv2 licensed code to AGPLv3 (easily).
    Can you please point me the differences of the two licenses?
  • I think your WorldEdit should support my WorldEdit Format

BTW: What happens to Markers in Multiplayer and what to Markers that are in unloaded Chunks?
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

cosarara97

by cosarara97 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 13:33

sfan5 wrote:
  • I want to merge it, but i don't think you can change a GPLv2 licensed code to AGPLv3 (easily).

You can change the license if you wan't (if everything is written by yourself), but we'll still have the right to use the old code under the GPLv2 conditions.
:D

sfan5

by sfan5 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 13:36

Ok

Temperest

by Temperest » Thu Jul 19, 2012 16:02

sfan5 wrote:
Temperest wrote:sfan5, if you're willing to merge this I'll be glad to assist you with it. If you're not, I can understand, in that case I will publish it separately. If you want to discuss the license change, I'm willing to talk about it.

• I think your WorldEdit should support my WorldEdit Format

BTW: What happens to Markers in Multiplayer and what to Markers that are in unloaded Chunks?

1. This WorldEdit version shares zero lines of code with the original version. It was written as a completely different program, so the license can easily be changed. Additionally, the GPL has the "or any later version of this license" clause, so it should not be a problem. Basically the GPLv3 fixes a few loopholes in the GPLv2, and better enforces the copyleft. The AGPL is a variant of the GPL that has an additional "networking" restriction: usually you would not have to release your changes to the mod if it was hosted on a server, rather than distributed directly to users, but the AGPL forces you to also release your changes in this case.

For example, someone could set up a MineTest server with a custom WorldEdit mod that had tons of new features. With the AGPL, the owner would be required to share it with the community. I think that in the long run, that benefits everyone.
  2. Certainly. Would you prefer that both formats be kept, or just the table.save format?
  3. In multiplayer the markers show up for all players. You can see the markers of other players, and they can see yours. Markers in unloaded chunks remain there, and if the server is restarted, they get deleted immediately once a player is in range. If a marker is still there when it's not supposed to be, just punch it and it will go away.

You already have access to the repository. Of course, you're free to make any changes.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

sfan5

by sfan5 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 17:36

I'll merge your Version today/tomorrow

Temperest

by Temperest » Thu Jul 19, 2012 20:19

By the way, the table save/load page says the following:

NOTICE: NOT suitable for huge tables. Saving a table containing 100.000 subtables with 25 (1 short text line and 24 numerical entries) fields works. Somewhere above that performance is disastrous when saving. And you get an "constant table overflow" error when you try to read it back. With smaller tables it seems to work. Especially considering it is a cut and past solution to your need. There is some test code that shows that you can very well save such big tables, of course this is also a machine issue.

And looking at the generated files, they have far more information than is necessary (it seems to try to save references as well as values). I suggest that we keep the new format, and provide a converter script for older saves. Or just support loading the table.save format transparently. What do you think?
WorldEdit 1.0 released

sfan5

by sfan5 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 20:47

i'd say it should support loading both, but saving only yours

Temperest

by Temperest » Fri Jul 20, 2012 02:56

sfan5 wrote:i'd say it should support loading both, but saving only yours

Done! See commit 2ecdd6cb1dd05b5627cbee32b357cfc15594809b. Now just use //load, and your old WorldEdit saves are automatically detected and loaded correctly. The loader has not been tested extensively, but I optimised it for this particular case of a node array and it's possibly faster now.

sfan5 wrote:
Stef wrote:we need a voxelsniper World Edit for adventure maps.

That would require CPU-intense Math, but is possible

By the way, I already wrote the raycaster function needed to make this a reality. I have a mod now that can snipe-place blocks at unlimited distances. I can have something releasable pretty soon if there's interest.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

sfan5

by sfan5 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 05:22

Temperest wrote:
sfan5 wrote:i'd say it should support loading both, but saving only yours

Done! See commit 2ecdd6cb1dd05b5627cbee32b357cfc15594809b. Now just use //load, and your old WorldEdit saves are automatically detected and loaded correctly. The loader has not been tested extensively, but I optimised it for this particular case of a node array and it's possibly faster now.

I'll release the new WorldEdit now

sfan5

by sfan5 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 06:03

Update!
Complete Rewrite!
New Features:
  • Added //dig //volume //move //copy
  • Added faster and smaller WorldEdit Format (old format can still be loaded)
  • Changed //replace a,b to //replace a b
  • Changed //stack Arguments
Download in First Post

Temperest

by Temperest » Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:12

Yay!

One thing, README.md still says WorldEdit v1.0. I'll change that in the repo.

Edit: Done! https://github.com/Uberi/MineTest-WorldEdit/commit/ebbfdbbe139a3758124408be8c812fe49335bc3a
Last edited by Temperest on Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

Bas080

GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

by Bas080 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 01:46

I had some ideas about how this mod can be used more easily. I was editing some pixel art not long ago. While doing that i was using the pencil, eraser, selections and clipboard tools. All this symbolic tools made it easy for me to edit the image.

Then suddenly I thought about minetest... which is not a rare thing.

Give the player a selection/placement tool just like the pickaxe tool. Multinode mod has the two blocks for selecting areas. This is really useful.

Not only can you select areas with two "selection blocks" but you can also tell the paste command at what angle you want the pasted nodes to be placed.

You can use punching the selection blocks for different commands. For example. punching the second block will save the selection and punching the first one will load/paste the selection.

If more then one area must be saved multiple selection blocks should be available. Everyone of them having there own save slot.

I don't mind typing codes for the result. But many players prefer a more consistent interaction. Not building with blocks and tools and then typing commands. It will make the mod and the selection and placement of areas more tangible.

I think :P

sfan5

by sfan5 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 06:13

Temperest wrote:Yay!

One thing, README.md still says WorldEdit v1.0. I'll change that in the repo.

Edit: Done! https://github.com/Uberi/MineTest-WorldEdit/commit/ebbfdbbe139a3758124408be8c812fe49335bc3a

I changed the zip, no new Link

Temperest

by Temperest » Sun Jul 22, 2012 22:13

Bas080 wrote:Give the player a selection/placement tool just like the pickaxe tool. Multinode mod has the two blocks for selecting areas. This is really useful.

Not only can you select areas with two "selection blocks" but you can also tell the paste command at what angle you want the pasted nodes to be placed.

You can use punching the selection blocks for different commands. For example. punching the second block will save the selection and punching the first one will load/paste the selection.

If more then one area must be saved multiple selection blocks should be available. Everyone of them having there own save slot.

Rotating is a good idea. I've added it. Selection blocks, I'm not so sure; it would require you to first dig a block, and then place the selection block down, when trying to select part of an existing structure. Multiple regions are useful in some situations but can get confusing to use, and also is quite a bit of work to support :P

Update:

• new //transpose command
  • new //flip command
  • new //rotate command
  • crash if //p get used without set positions fixed
  • use minetest.pos_to_string for better position printing

See today's commits in the GitHub repo for these changes.

Also, would you (sfan5) mind merging these changes, and possibly putting a link to the GitHub repo in the first post so people can follow development more easily?
Last edited by Temperest on Sun Jul 22, 2012 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:01

Multiple region editing is not difficult to implement :P

take your pos1 and pos2 variables, and make them into arrays/tables. then you loop through every value in pos1 (using the index to get the matching pos2) and perform your node operations on each set.
"Fuck the hat." - Paulie Gualtieri

Temperest

by Temperest » Mon Jul 23, 2012 15:39

Yes, the actual implementation is not hard, considering that the WorldEdit API does all the work.

My main concern is ease of use - having tried your Multinode mod, I'm still not sure which way is more intuitive.

Perhaps some more input from users is needed.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

Temperest

by Temperest » Sat Jul 28, 2012 04:42

sfan5, I'm not sure if you saw my second to last post, but I've added a few commands I'd like you to consider merging. No pressure :).
WorldEdit 1.0 released

sfan5

by sfan5 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 06:41

I don't want to release a new Version every Week ;)
But I think i'll merge it and release it today/tomorrow.

Temperest

by Temperest » Sat Jul 28, 2012 17:29

Cool, sounds good.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

zzarko

by zzarko » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:29

I'm using 0.5 version under Ubuntu and minetest 0.4.1. Setting amount parameter to negative value for any command doesn't have an effect - it is treated as positive (I get the same result for every command regardles if I put, for example, 1, +1, -1).

sfan5

by sfan5 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 15:58

Yes, i noticed that Bug yesterday too

WSX

by WSX » Thu Aug 16, 2012 18:06

In addition to what's been said above, I can't get rotate and flip to work. It says "invalid command". Is it not available (I noticed this command isn't listed at the first page, only at the GitHub page)?

(WE 0.5, Minetest 0.4.1 on Windows).

Temperest

by Temperest » Thu Aug 16, 2012 20:23

WSX wrote:In addition to what's been said above, I can't get rotate and flip to work. It says "invalid command". Is it not available (I noticed this command isn't listed at the first page, only at the GitHub page)?

(WE 0.5, Minetest 0.4.1 on Windows).

Yes, the GitHub version contains all the latest changes, while the links in the first post must be manually updated.

@sfan5: would you mind putting a link to the GitHub downloads in the first post?

zzarko wrote:I'm using 0.5 version under Ubuntu and minetest 0.4.1. Setting amount parameter to negative value for any command doesn't have an effect - it is treated as positive (I get the same result for every command regardles if I put, for example, 1, +1, -1).

My bad, I was subtracting the amount value where it should have been added. I've fixed it now, you can download it from the GitHub repository.

Coming soon: //sphere and //cylinder!
WorldEdit 1.0 released

sfan5

by sfan5 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 21:13

Temperest wrote:@sfan5: would you mind putting a link to the GitHub downloads in the first post?

Done!
Temperest wrote:Coming soon: //sphere and //cylinder!

Yay! :D

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases