[Modpack] Animals Modpack [2.5] -- 2.6 approaching

sapier

Re: [Modpack] Animals Modpack [2.4]

by sapier » Wed Aug 27, 2014 18:13

To test it with other players I suggest starting with my prerelease version as I do test at least the basic things prior packaging it ... and it's way more small too as my release script automaticaly removes things like raw images, blender files and things like that.
I will keep releasing the modpack as it shows full power of mobf, the split was primary done to make clear most of code isn't really "needed" to create a single mob. The basic things are almost lightweight ;-)

Case there are critical bugs in a prerelease you can still update the specific part to latest git version.

Well if you provide skins or models I can do the suggested monsters too ;-)

SAMIAMNOT

In-game: notanewbie

by SAMIAMNOT » Mon Sep 08, 2014 21:32

How come Vombies and NPCs can't/ won't jump? Mine are all stuck on the seashore.
I test mines.

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Tue Sep 09, 2014 01:30

The topic linked to below has a .zip file that contains sound effects that might be suitable for monsters:
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10013

sapier

by sapier » Wed Sep 10, 2014 21:05

thanks, I'm always looking for good sounds!

balthazariv

by balthazariv » Mon Sep 15, 2014 20:49

"Mobf failed to swap old conf file to new one"

I have delete mobf_settings.conf.new and mobf_settings.conf in my world repertory but i have always this message.

Should we delete something special ?

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Mon Sep 15, 2014 20:55

Mod worked fine but then I got some sort of error saying that there was an error generating some kind of clump. Now some objects from the mod show up (Vombies, BoomBooms) but other things dont show up, like NPCs. Are there dependencies that some mobs depend on but not others? What kind of thing would cause this kind of error.
I test mines.

ken

by ken » Thu Sep 18, 2014 06:06

After killing a shark, I get an Unknown Item in my inventory. The animalmaterials/textures folder doesn't have any shark items... so they must just not be added yet?

After looking at the animalmaterials/init.lua file, I guess something like this would work, copied from other fish code:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
minetest.register_craftitem("animalmaterials:fish_shark", {
   description = S("Fish (shark)"),
   image = "animalmaterials_meat_raw.png",
   on_use = minetest.item_eat(1),
   groups = { meat=1, eatable=1 },
   stack_max=25
})

Topywo

by Topywo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:37

@ken: The shark's randomly droppings should be registered in animalmaterials, but aren't (yet?).

GrimLok

IRC: GrimLok
In-game: GrimLok

by GrimLok » Sun Sep 21, 2014 20:43

Hello all. I am completely new to the Minetest community and seem to be having trouble with this mobf mod. I have installed it using the mod repository in-game and also manually, and don't seem to be seeing any mobs. Is there a step I am missing? Forgive me for being a dolt, but this is incredibly different. Thank you.

balthazariv

by balthazariv » Sun Sep 21, 2014 22:24

balthazariv wrote:"Mobf failed to swap old conf file to new one"

I have delete mobf_settings.conf.new and mobf_settings.conf in my world repertory but i have always this message.

Should we delete something special ?

nobody has any idea on this message ?

deivan

by deivan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 23:00

I removed this mod from my game... Extreme CPU usage, but is working some days before I upgrade it from the git. :-/

GrimLok

IRC: GrimLok
In-game: GrimLok

by GrimLok » Sun Sep 21, 2014 23:42

Ok, I figured out the mod situation, you have to 'configure' it for your map and enable it. Now though, I am getting this type of error:

Irrlicht log: Unsupported texture format
19:27:05: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "mob_slime_slime_L_item.png" while building texture
19:27:05: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Creating a dummy image for "mob_slime_slime_L_item.png"
19:27:05: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "mob_slime_slime_M_item.png" while building texture
19:27:05: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Creating a dummy image for "mob_slime_slime_M_item.png"
19:27:05: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "mob_slime_slime_S_item.png" while building texture
19:27:05: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Creating a dummy image for "mob_slime_slime_S_item.png"

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
GrimLok

FYI: I have this installed on Trisquel GNU/Linux if that helps any.

MihalyK

IRC: Voronwe

by MihalyK » Thu Sep 25, 2014 15:48

Hello everyone, I have only just started playing around with minetest, but I really must love this game, because after I set up my server I have spent two weeks in a row staying up ALL NIGHT trying things, mining, flying around and just generally losing sleep!!

I think I managed to get a couple of decent Worlds created, I'm just running a local server for the time being.

I tried a few mods, and lately I just started running with the animals Modpack, but I also get this error regarding "failed to swap old conf file to new one"

So I was wondering whether it might be to do with the fact that I happily had the jkanimals mod working beforehand, and perhaps it's to do with trying to run two "animals" mods that might be incompatible?

I am only slowly getting the hang of things, but it is frustrating to have errors that I can't work out how to fix. I did try disabling some of the other mods, but I wonder which ones can be run simultaneously. Don't some also "depend" on others?

This modpack sometimes makes reference to "initlib?" as a dependency, but I can't find where is initlib if it is a required mod?

I hope that somebody can help me, I only have noticed one other person with this specific issue, so I guess it might be related to my own setup. So I'll mention for the sake of clarity that I had both 0.4.9 and 0.4.10 versions of the client server package, I believe these were the ones that are "vanilla" minetest, running 64bit of 0.4.10 with mods jkmod (farming, animals, etc.) and now animals modpack 2.4.2 with mobf and creatures as well. I feel sure that there is likely some form of conflict between these perhaps.

I understand that this is an early release, so I would expect bugs and also with modpack additions it gets even more complex.

I also get occasional errors of other types, but this one about the config file is often cropping up at times when I move from one area to another where a new creature is spawned.... so I feel likely that it's perhaps related to something I have missed or am trying to run two incompatible mods.

Perhaps it's because I feel like I spent time building that I am reluctant to completely startover, but maybe that's what I need to do? setup whichever mods I want to run then generate the new world from scratch?

I appreciate the work you modders do, and if I can help by noticing various things, i'm happy to do so, or even just log on to the forums from time to time. So anyway, hello again, and any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

MihalyK

by MihalyK » Thu Sep 25, 2014 16:25

GrimLok wrote:Ok, I figured out the mod situation, you have to 'configure' it for your map and enable it. Now though, I am getting this type of error:

19:27:05: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "mob_slime_slime_L_item.png" while building texture
19:27:05: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Creating a dummy image for "mob_slime_slime_L_item.png"
19:27:05: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "mob_slime_slime_M_item.png" while building texture
19:27:05: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Creating a dummy image for "mob_slime_slime_M_item.png"
19:27:05: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "mob_slime_slime_S_item.png" while building texture
19:27:05: ERROR[main]: generateImage(): Creating a dummy image for "mob_slime_slime_S_item.png"

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
GrimLok

FYI: I have this installed on Trisquel GNU/Linux if that helps any.

Just a humble suggestion, but I also get this message and I believe it has to do with the lack of there actually being such images in the modpack - several items don't have images provided yet, I am guessing that they may appear in later updates of the modpack.

At least as far as I know. I get similar messages for several entities if I look them up in the creative mode so I just imagine that noone has created these graphics yet. If I am wrong, thats fine, and if I am right, it might be possible to try generating your own graphics in the proper format and perhaps even upload them for consideration to be included in further updates. Remember that these things are all being developed further, so maybe some things still need doing, although I admit I only glance at the readme files, and maybe there needs to be a "to-do.txt" file?

cheers anyway.

Topywo

by Topywo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 09:47

MihalyK wrote: This modpack sometimes makes reference to "initlib?" as a dependency, but I can't find where is initlib if it is a required mod?

The mods in a dependency.txt file having a question mark (?) are optional dependencies. When you have the optional mod installed (configured/checked in the MT menu) it can be used by the (main)mod. I couldn't find that quick the initlib mod. Maybe it is hidden somewhere in the animals_modpack or something still "to-do".

For playing minetest in general, I personally prefer to use (one of the latest development versions and not a stable version. Most of the times those are better and some mods are developed or updated in a way that only a recent developed version of minetest can run them. So this sometimes solves problems with a mod.

About the errors in the modpack 2.4.2. You might consider using the not stable 2.4.90 or, as a third alternative, sapier's GitHub version of the animals modpack*

*I noticed some mods of that modpack are also seperate on GitHub and might be more up to date than the ones in the modpack, so you might also want to replace those.

Maybe not much of a help but this modpack is one of the biggest and complicated here on minetest. And one that is awesome when running with not too much errors. Also, welcome to minetest!

Xanthin

GitHub: Xanthin
IRC: Xanthin
In-game: Xanthin

by Xanthin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:09

Oh, Intllib https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4929
is a mod by kaeza that lets you translate other mods into your language (and the one to get me started to look in files :D) Unfortunately its not suitable for multiple translations at the same time, like you have it at a server and every client gets the needed language. It only depends on the server language and you will only get this language, as far as I understanded
This modpack has currently only the german translations and the templates for other translations I made.
So, how Topywo said it is optional and if you only want English it is even unnecessary. :)

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Sun Sep 28, 2014 00:25

Why arent there real normal NPCs? The NPC mob looks like a zombie in a suit.
I test mines.

bjrohan

IRC: bjrohan

by bjrohan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 16:03

I am having issues with this mod. I have used git to clone this repo, as well as the adv_spawn. When I enable this mod (and adv_spawn) in the single player config, and start Minetest I get the following in debug:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/8448700/

Any suggestions how to remedy this?

Thank you!

MTDad

by MTDad » Sun Sep 28, 2014 18:02

First off, great Mod Sapier, this is one of the first my kids and I HAD to have.

With 2.4.2 and minetest 0.4.10, using and item with "replace_with_item" will bring down the server with;
"09:34:32: ERROR[main]: ServerError: /home/otto/.minetest/mods/animals/mobf/fighting.lua:1389: attempt to call method 'get_name' (a nil value)"

After puzzling over that section of code for a while I tried commenting out ":get_name()" and now it works. I can drink a bottle of honey without killing the server, and use a bottle of honey to heal a cow, and still get the bottle back.

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Tue Sep 30, 2014 22:33

I made a world and after a while I enabled Animals Modpack. why wont Vombies spawn?
I test mines.

sapier

by sapier » Thu Oct 02, 2014 17:29

bjrohan: I assume you did disable 3d mode by either clicking the checkbox or setting mobf_disable_3d_mode to true in mobf settings. Slime mob doesn't support 2d mode, you should either disable or delete it if you want to use 2d mode. I'll fix this to be handled more gracefully in a following version.

MTDad: I'm not sure what's happening for you, but I guess if you create a new world with this modification healing wont give back the bottle any longer. What mod provides the honey bottle?

SAMIAMNOT: What Animals modpack version and adv_spawning versions do you use? Try updating adv_spawning to latest version it's supposed to work with animals modpack 2.4 too.
Edit1: The only npc spawned automaticaly is a trader.

MTDad

by MTDad » Thu Oct 02, 2014 18:47

sapier, the honey bottle comes from the bees and beekeepers mod. The bug happens with any replace_with_item, item I've tried. The hot coffee cup from farming redo brings the same error.

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:36

Ooooh... I did not get any over version of the spawner. I will try it. Thing is though I built a world where I am building an NPC hotel and there are vombies outside waiting to devour anybody that leaves.
I test mines.

iperpido

In-game: Iperpido

by iperpido » Thu Oct 09, 2014 09:23

I had a very strange bug using the Animals Modpack + Vanessa's plantlife modpack --> viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3898 .
When i try to use the the shears on a wounded animal (from mobf/animals modpack) , i see a menu with 2 buttons: "debuginfo" and "heal".
If i press "debuginfo" nothing happens, if i press "heal", the server crashes.
here's the log:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
01:22:28: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: .../user/.minetest/mods/animals_modpack/mobf/fighting.lua:1315: attempt to index field 'healdb' (a nil value)
01:22:28: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
01:22:28: ERROR[main]:  .../user/.minetest/mods/animals_modpack/mobf/fighting.lua:1315: in function 'callback'
01:22:28: ERROR[main]:  /home/user/.minetest/mods/animals_modpack/mobf/mobf.lua:855: in function </home/user/.minetest/mods/animals_modpack/mobf/mobf.lua:837>
01:22:28: ERROR[main]:  /usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:348: in function </usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:336>

Any ideas?

MTDad

by MTDad » Wed Oct 15, 2014 21:52

Anybody out there that knows how/is willing to fix the textures in the mobf_animals addon modpack for this mod?

https://github.com/Sokomine/mobf_animals

I really like the extra animals, but detest how it spams my log with irrlicht errors.
If somebody can do that I'm fairly certain I can fork the repo and update it to advanced spawning. Hopefully sokomine is ok with that, I see no licensing info.

SAMIAMNOT

by SAMIAMNOT » Thu Oct 16, 2014 01:36

If and when i get time ill work on it and upload it.
I test mines.

JPRuehmann

by JPRuehmann » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:52

Hello
everytime I start minetest 0.4.10 latest github
I get the following error
animals_modpack 2.4.90

14:42:14: ACTION[main]: MOD: mobf loading ...
14:42:14: ACTION[main]:         registering pattern dont_move
14:42:14: ACTION[main]:         registering pattern run_and_jump_low
14:42:14: ACTION[main]:         registering pattern stop_and_go
14:42:14: ACTION[main]:         registering pattern swim_pattern1
14:42:14: ACTION[main]:         registering pattern swim_pattern2
14:42:14: ACTION[main]:         registering pattern flight_pattern1
14:42:14: ACTION[main]: MOD: mob framework mod 2.4.90 loaded
14:42:14: ACTION[main]: MOD: mobf_settings mod           version 1.9.0 loaded
14:42:14: ACTION[main]: MOD: Loading mob_environments mod ...
14:42:14: ACTION[main]: MOD: mob_environments mod 0.0.1 loaded.
14:42:14: ACTION[main]: MOD: mob_guard mod loading ...
14:42:14: ACTION[main]:         adding mob guard
14:42:14: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
14:42:14: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from
14:42:14: ERROR[main]: /home/minetest/.minetest/mods/animals_modpack/mob_guard/init.lua:
14:42:14: ERROR[main]: /home/minetest/.minetest/mods/animals_modpack/mobf/mobf.lua:960: attempt to index field 'spawning' (a nil value)
14:42:14: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
14:42:14: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run /home/minetest/.minetest/mods/animals_modpack/mob_guard/init.lua
14:42:14: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: ModError: Failed to load and run /home/minetest/.minetest/mods/animals_modpack/mob_guard/init.lua

How can I make it work?
Thanks,
JPR

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:30

JPRuehmann wrote:How can I make it work?

Since the error message mentioned a variable named spawning, you might try to install the adv_spawning mod (ought to be linked in the initial posting somewhere). If that doesn't help, try to update your version of the mod and your MT version to latest git. If that still doesn't help, more debugging might be required.
A list of my mods can be found here.

MihalyK

by MihalyK » Mon Nov 17, 2014 17:32

hi and thanks for the reply.
I actually have stopped running the server locally for the time being, think I have left it too long to recall whether I wanted to just start over and create it again, I also am not sure so I downloaded the latest versions of the mods, but I am still unsure about whether I need to turn off some mods which may be conflicting. Was that what it was? Running PilzAdams Simple Mob as well as This animals Mob I think is a clash, isn't it?

Anyway, I intend at some point to get back to setting it up, but I found I was always having to run around collecting my bones because I would die trying to find diamond ore and running into those horrible killing things.

It was taking away from the enjoyment of the game, actually.

I am sure I just need to either set up to run only either simple or the animal mobs, and probably maybe even use the in-game menu to tweak it slightly, and I just have been otherwise busy to get lost in the world again (I also kept getting completely lost and then bythe time I found myself again, I'd have forgotten what it was I was originally working on.

Perhaps I should just plough ahead with vanilla, or get better at understanding what the various config settings are supposed to be, or might I have placed the mods in the wrong folder?

Also I am running 0.4.9 (32bit) AND 0.4.10 (64bit) now in seperate subdirs, so some mods will work and others perhaps not.

Does anyone know for sure which mods actually conflict and whether there are things I might look at specifically in case I misconfigured my server?

Thanks for any replies.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Mon Nov 17, 2014 23:01

MihalyK wrote:I actually have stopped running the server locally for the time being, think I have left it too long to recall whether I wanted to just start over and create it again, I also am not sure so I downloaded the latest versions of the mods, but I am still unsure about whether I need to turn off some mods which may be conflicting. Was that what it was? Running PilzAdams Simple Mob as well as This animals Mob I think is a clash, isn't it?

Doesn't have to be a clash. There'll just be diffrent types of mobs running around, and they'll behave diffrently. It may seem inconsistent (as the two mods are diffrent), but it's not a conflict on a technical level.

MihalyK wrote:Anyway, I intend at some point to get back to setting it up, but I found I was always having to run around collecting my bones because I would die trying to find diamond ore and running into those horrible killing things.

It was taking away from the enjoyment of the game, actually.

The goal is to get a game that you may enjoy. If some of the mobs are in the way - eliminate them :-) Exterminate their species! In your game, you can do that, and no electrons will be harmed :-)
It might be that having two mob mods installed doubles the chance of aggressive mobs. From your tales, it might be the dungeon masters which are trying to kill you. Both mods have them, and they're both dangerous. They throw fireballs. There's also the Big Red in mobf, which is also a pretty aggressive and strong mob. And then there are the vombies, whose main ability is to spam your world and swarm around.

MihalyK wrote:I am sure I just need to either set up to run only either simple or the animal mobs, and probably maybe even use the in-game menu to tweak it slightly, and I just have been otherwise busy to get lost in the world again (I also kept getting completely lost and then bythe time I found myself again, I'd have forgotten what it was I was originally working on.

Use the /sethome command. Other teleportation mods (i.e. my travelnet mod) might also help.
A list of my mods can be found here.

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases