[Modpack] Animals Modpack [2.5] -- 2.6 approaching

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Thu Dec 27, 2012 16:43

jordan4ibanez wrote:I've seen this mob framework get laggier and laggier as time goes on. Please, use this for peaceful mobs.
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
mob.on_step = function(self, dtime)
    self.timer = self.timer + 0.01
    self.turn_timer = self.turn_timer + 0.01
    self.jump_timer = self.jump_timer + 0.01
    self.door_timer = self.door_timer + 0.01
    self.present_timer = self.present_timer + 0.01
    if self.timer > math.random(2,5) then
        self.state = math.random(1,2)
        self.timer = 0
    end
    --STANDING
    if self.state == 1 then
        self.yawwer = true
        for  _,object in ipairs(minetest.env:get_objects_inside_radius(self.object:getpos(), 3)) do
            if object:is_player() then
                self.yawwer = false
                NPC = self.object:getpos()
                PLAYER = object:getpos()
                self.vec = {x=PLAYER.x-NPC.x, y=PLAYER.y-NPC.y, z=PLAYER.z-NPC.z}
                self.yaw = math.atan(self.vec.z/self.vec.x)+math.pi^2
                if PLAYER.x > NPC.x then
                    self.yaw = self.yaw + math.pi
                end
                self.yaw = self.yaw - 2
                self.object:setyaw(self.yaw)
            end
        end

if self.turn_timer > math.random(1,4) and yawwer == true then
            self.yaw = 360 * math.random()
            self.turn_timer = 0
        end
        self.object:setvelocity({x=0,y=self.object:getvelocity().y,z=0})
        if self.player_anim ~= ANIM_STAND then
            self.anim = player_get_animations(visual)
            self.object:set_animation({x=self.anim.stand_START,y=self.anim.stand_END}, animation_speed_mod, animation_blend)
            self.player_anim = ANIM_STAND
        end
    end
    --WALKING
    if self.state == 2 then
        if self.present_timer > 1 then
            minetest.env:add_item(self.object:getpos(),"default:coal_lump")
            minetest.sound_play("fart", {pos=self.object:getpos(), gain=1.5, max_hear_distance=2*64})
            self.present_timer = 0
        end
        if self.direction ~= nil then
            self.object:setvelocity({x=self.direction.x*chillaxin_speed,y=self.object:getvelocity().y,z=self.direction.z*chillaxin_speed})
        end
        if self.turn_timer > math.random(1,4) then
            self.yaw = 360 * math.random()
            self.turn_timer = 0
            self.direction = {x = math.sin(self.yaw)*-1, y = -10, z = math.cos(self.yaw)}
            --self.object:setvelocity({x=self.direction.x,y=self.object:getvelocity().y,z=direction.z})
            --self.object:setacceleration(self.direction)
        end
        if self.player_anim ~= ANIM_WALK then
            self.anim = player_get_animations(visual)
            self.object:set_animation({x=self.anim.walk_START,y=self.anim.walk_END}, animation_speed_mod, animation_blend)
            self.player_anim = ANIM_WALK
        end
        --open a door [alpha]
            if self.door_timer > 2 then
                local is_a_door = minetest.env:get_node({x=self.object:getpos().x + self.direction.x,y=self.object:getpos().y,z=self.object:getpos().z + self.direction.z}).name
                if is_a_door == "doors:door_wood_t_1" then
                    minetest.env:punch_node({x=self.object:getpos().x + self.direction.x,y=self.object:getpos().y-1,z=self.object:getpos().z + self.direction.z})
                    self.door_timer = 0
                end
                local is_in_door = minetest.env:get_node(self.object:getpos()).name
                if is_in_door == "doors:door_wood_t_1" then
                    minetest.env:punch_node(self.object:getpos())
                end
            end
        end
        --jump
            if self.jump_timer > 0.3 then
                if minetest.registered_nodes[minetest.env:get_node({x=self.object:getpos().x + self.direction.x,y=self.object:getpos().y-1,z=self.object:getpos().z + self.direction.z}).name].walkable then
                    self.object:setvelocity({x=self.object:getvelocity().x,y=5,z=self.object:getvelocity().z})
                    self.jump_timer = 0
                end
            end
        end
    end
end

Trust me, I have passive-till-aggressed, and aggressive ai too, please just use this for your mobs, they're plenty st00pid, and fun to work with, and you won't be wondering why your computer is spurting out fumes and smells like burning plastic after you change to this. Has extreme performance improvements, and allows for 200-300+ mobs in the same area without the server itself lagging. Please just use this so people can have fun with this mod.

If this works I suggest using this too. The more lag you can shave off, the better. Is there a way you could help with the creation of this mod, jordan4ibanez?
Last edited by Inocudom on Thu Dec 27, 2012 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

rinoux

by rinoux » Thu Dec 27, 2012 17:17

A duck :-)

License: GPL or CC-by-sa
Last edited by rinoux on Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

rinoux

by rinoux » Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:10

If you need it i can make a:

.Penguin
.Bat
.Shark
.Butterfly
.Bear
.Wild boar
Last edited by rinoux on Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Thu Dec 27, 2012 19:10

rinoux wrote:A duck :-)

Rinoux, nowadays we use a thing called nodeboxes.

Not to mention 3d model support...if you missed it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

rinoux

by rinoux » Thu Dec 27, 2012 19:22

Jordach wrote:

Ok... :,-(

sapier

by sapier » Thu Dec 27, 2012 19:29

@jordan4ibanez

Your movement generator simply changes speed of your mobs ... this is of course fast ... but I don't like the broken movement created by it.
I'm using acceleration based movement with cosequence of suffering a minetest bug not beeing fixed by developers for more than a year now.
By the way I do even more dislike copy n paste code for every single mob.

Most lag is caused by one thing you haven't even in your code "spawning"!

@Jordach nodeboxes are outdated too now mesh is the new thing, nodeboxes will be completly removed very soon

@all others
does anyone still use 2d mode? I was thinking about dropping 2d support as of 2.5 version
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Thu Dec 27, 2012 21:39

I myself don't use 2D mode, so I support animated meshes all the way.

Let us hope the developers are able to fix that bug in a future version of minetest-c55. Like with the simple mobs mod, monsters sometimes get stuck to the player and even to each other.

When the steer (and maybe the cow too) tilts its head downward to eat, the head looks rather loose and ends up distorted. I don't know what causes this but there should be a way to fix it.

Are there plans to spawn any monsters in the deserts? The bombs could appear there, as well as snakes and scorpions. I recently thought it would be neat if flying saucers would sometimes appear in deserts during the nighttime and fly around. While flying, they would shoot lazer beams at the player. To cause them to crash, the player would have to fire many projectiles at them. When they crash, their remains would sit on the ground (a type of building shaped like the flying saucers could be spawned where they crash.) The player would then be able to enter the ships and take all of the loot in them as well as mine every last node they are made of. While doing this, the player would have to either avoid or slay the extraterrestrials within. These beings would look like giant praying mantises and would be able to do 2 hearts of damage to the player by simply staring at him/her. Their health would be similar to that of a vombie, but would only be weak against projectile weapons. I thought I might share this mob idea of mine here in case anybody is interested in making such a thing. It certainly would make deserts more dangerous at night.

jordan4ibanez

GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Thu Dec 27, 2012 22:29

sapier wrote:@jordan4ibanez

Your movement generator simply changes speed of your mobs ... this is of course fast ... but I don't like the broken movement created by it.
I'm using acceleration based movement with cosequence of suffering a minetest bug not beeing fixed by developers for more than a year now.
By the way I do even more dislike copy n paste code for every single mob.

Most lag is caused by one thing you haven't even in your code "spawning"!

Yea, okay Sapier that's a nice chuckle. I've observed you're broken, ultra heavy duty animal code which is just horrible. No offense, I have a way to spawn them, but the way that you're moving your animals around, you need a fucking tilera to run this smoothly. It doesn't need to be calculated perfectly, but it would be very nice to use what I showed you to move them around. All that is needed to be added to my code is for it to calculate the yaw, then add or subtract 0.1 to it to have smooth movement, the way you're mobs are doing it is completely inefficient and kind of like windows 3.1. Now I'm not trying to insult you here, but this mod you have here right now is basically unplayable not only that, but you have dependency hell and the animals themselves are inconsistent being sprites and 3d models and then node boxes.
Last edited by jordan4ibanez on Thu Dec 27, 2012 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
If you can think it, you can make it.

sapier

by sapier » Fri Dec 28, 2012 00:07

@jordan4ibanez
Still i believe reason for lag is that minetest bug I've already mentioned, as you don't use acceleration it doesn't occur in your place.
Mobf animals moved around the way you do in one of their first releases. Yes this seams to be a good way to do it. For testing purposes it even is.
"All that is needed to be added to my code" in my oppinion you underestimate what is needed to fix those last 10% making movement look strange

But only a few problems mobf tried to fix over time:
1) mobs concentrate on special places in world
2) mobs drop much more often than jump
3) you cant follow a target with random movement only
4) random movement isn't acceptable for some mobs e.g. birds in air
5) mobs keep runing against walls

I thought doing it all by randomly changing acceleration movement would work, but it doesn't you don't get reasoable movement in long term.

Why I did use acceleration and not simply change velocity as you do? Just changing velocity looks strange noone can change its direction in zero time.

Of course some things can be improoved mobf is far from perfect ... I assume one of the major problems you're pointing at is collision detection and how collisions are handled. By now I don't see a better solution, if I didn't miss it you don't have one either.

But thing I won't ever do:

1) copy n paste code used in different mobs to each mob (in my oppinion copy n paste is plain silly I'd have to bugfix any mod again and again)

What I can do:
movement gens are modules, it's no big deal to add your movement gen to mobf and have a look if mobs do any good with it.

EDIT1:
the 2d nodebox mesh chaos is true, at least nodebox will be dropped soon, 2d is subject to be dropped too

EDIT2:
I've added your movegen ... was even less time than I used to write this post ... great.
Another feature to be used in mobf ... I know giving more features is called heavy today.
If you wanna try out if your own movement generator really is better than those in mobf now you can. You most likely shouldn't switch birds or fish to it as they won't behave very well with it.
Hopefully exchangeing a movement generator that fast will show how modular mobf is designed too.
Last edited by sapier on Fri Dec 28, 2012 00:43, edited 1 time in total.

lord_james

by lord_james » Fri Dec 28, 2012 02:49

rinoux wrote:
Jordach wrote:

Ok... :,-(

It's just my opinion, but I think 2d models are also suitable for this mod. Developers could make games more like infiniminers with npc.

J-Block

by J-Block » Fri Dec 28, 2012 03:21

sapier wrote:@J-Block some hostile mobs are big if you're standing right inside them you may not see them
@tux_peng /spawnmob <modname>:<mobname> x,y,z
e.g. /spawnmob animal_sheep:sheep 0,0,0

1.9.2 has arrived now theres a animated cow walking, standing around and eating

Some info for those of you trying to create models with blender:
1) enable the directx export filter ( it's not enabled by default)
2) make sure any face is part of a vertex group (as soon as you do animation non grouped faces won't be shown anymore)
3) make sure one bone is parenting all others
4) name all vertex groups exactly like a bone

That can't be it. Wouldn't I see the mob before walking inside it? And when I respawn, it continues to attack me, even if I fly away. And the new version doesn't work for me. The game refuses to run and says "mobf" has "unsatisfied dependencies- inventory plus". So I need to install that mod in order to run the new version? I'll stick with the old version that works for me until this is solved.

sapier

by sapier » Fri Dec 28, 2012 03:51

@J-Block if you don't wanna install inventory plus you can delete mobf_settings instead

You should've seen the mob prior entering thats true. I haven't seen this problem by now is there any way to reproduce it?

sapier

by sapier » Fri Dec 28, 2012 03:54

thx rinoux I like the duck, by now mobf still supports 2d mobs and I've been thinking of adding a duck for some time. As soon as I add a duck this model will be in.

J-Block

by J-Block » Fri Dec 28, 2012 03:59

Make the problem happen again? I'm not sure. I could try. I've noticed a few patterns but they are not solidified:

*Almost always happens at night or when I fly underground.
*I can hear the growling loudly, meaning the mob is close to me.
*In the morning (as I said) I notice fire seemingly coming from me.
*Once or twice I noticed an error message saying a mob was "within solid block, moving. Status: ok". This has led me to believe the mob was attached to me and somehow inside me.

J-Block

by J-Block » Fri Dec 28, 2012 04:00

Also in worlds that I made before installing the mod, only hostile mobs, gulls, and chickens spawn. I don't ever see other animals. In new ones this isn't true.

sapier

by sapier » Fri Dec 28, 2012 04:08

@j-block
until recent versions sound was buggy (stero sounds) so positional sound didn't work for some sounds. Mobs affected by it seam to be really near even if not.

There are two ways to get fire, a dm throwing fireballs at you or a boombomb detonating

(most) friendly mobs are not spawning in already created worlds due to lag reducing efforts. Spawn algorithms randomly adding mobs to map create huge load so by default most mobs are only spawned on mapgen.
There's a config parameter enabling spawning in already generated worlds with rare chances. If you install inventory plus you'll have a gui to set those parameters.

J-Block

by J-Block » Fri Dec 28, 2012 04:34

@sapier
Well, I did what you said with the new version. It worked well at first. Then it froze up, crashed, and the file acted weird. I think I spawned too many animals. I got rid of it. Looks like I'm still going with the old version.
And by fire I mean the vombie fire when they die at day.

I tried installing inventory plus. I t downloaded as a file, not a folder, and so it was incompatible with the game. I tried making a folder for it with the name and everything but the game seemed to refuse it existed and said "no such file or direct" or something along those lines. Leaving it be as a file did nothing as the game ignored it completely.

I will get off in five-ten minutes as it is quite late here.

EDIT: It seems the game refuses to run the version 1.4.6. too. How nice.

From debug text:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
22:35:35: VERBOSE[main]: Loading and running script from C:\Users\Jason\Documents\minetest-0.4.4-win32\minetest-0.4.4-win32\bin\..\mods\minetest\mobf\mobf\init.lua
22:35:35: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
22:35:35: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from
22:35:35: ERROR[main]: C:\Users\Jason\Documents\minetest-0.4.4-win32\minetest-0.4.4-win32\bin\..\mods\minetest\mobf\mobf\init.lua:
22:35:35: ERROR[main]: cannot open C:\Users\Jason\Documents\minetest-0.4.4-win32\minetest-0.4.4-win32\bin\..\mods\minetest\mobf\mobf/environments/flight_1.lua: No such file or directory
22:35:35: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
22:35:35: ERROR[main]:     [C]: in function 'dofile'
22:35:35: ERROR[main]:     ...win32\bin\..\mods\minetest\mobf\mobf/environment.lua:502: in main chunk
22:35:35: ERROR[main]:     [C]: in function 'dofile'
22:35:35: ERROR[main]:     ...-0.4.4-win32\bin\..\mods\minetest\mobf\mobf\init.lua:41: in main chunk
22:35:35: ERROR[main]: =======END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
22:35:35: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run C:\Users\Jason\Documents\minetest-0.4.4-win32\minetest-0.4.4-win32\bin\..\mods\minetest\mobf\mobf\init.lua
22:35:35: INFO[main]: BanManager: saving to C:\Users\Jason\Documents\minetest-0.4.4-win32\minetest-0.4.4-win32\bin\..\worlds\Terra\ipban.txt
22:35:35: ERROR[main]: ModError: Failed to load and run C:\Users\Jason\Documents\minetest-0.4.4-win32\minetest-0.4.4-win32\bin\..\mods\minetest\mobf\mobf\init.lua

I use version 0.4.4.
Last edited by J-Block on Fri Dec 28, 2012 04:41, edited 1 time in total.

BrandonReese

GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Fri Dec 28, 2012 04:39

I get an error. I spawned a cow to check out the animations, and I get this error:

GenericCAO::AddToScene:Could not load mesh /home/brandon/bin/../mods/minetest/animals/animal_cow/models/cow.x

The file is there, in that location. This is on my server. Version 0.4.4 for client and server.

sapier

by sapier » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:53

@J-Block 1.4.x series ain't compatible to 0.4.4 anymore if you wanna use 0.4.4 you'll have to use 1.9.x ... probably I should include inventory plus to modpack to avoid missing dependencys.
EDIT1:
sorry I'd been a little bit to fast to answer, can you check if the file wich is complained about is there at all? Maybe it's same problem as for BrandonReese.

@BrandonReese is there anyithing about steer.x in log too? This file is next to cow.x I'd expect it to fail too.
Wait is this error shown on client or server?
Last edited by sapier on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:57, edited 1 time in total.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Fri Dec 28, 2012 15:45

sapier wrote:@J-Block 1.4.x series ain't compatible to 0.4.4 anymore if you wanna use 0.4.4 you'll have to use 1.9.x ... probably I should include inventory plus to modpack to avoid missing dependencys.
EDIT1:
sorry I'd been a little bit to fast to answer, can you check if the file wich is complained about is there at all? Maybe it's same problem as for BrandonReese.

@BrandonReese is there anyithing about steer.x in log too? This file is next to cow.x I'd expect it to fail too.

I spawned the cow using spawnentity so there are no steers on my map that I know of. The error shows up in the chat area on my client. I don't see an error in my server log.

Same error if I spawn a steer. I'm getting the latest from github and recompiling to see if that's the problem.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Fri Dec 28, 2012 15:53

Looks like recompiling the latest version worked.

J-Block

by J-Block » Fri Dec 28, 2012 16:05

sapier wrote:@J-Block 1.4.x series ain't compatible to 0.4.4 anymore if you wanna use 0.4.4 you'll have to use 1.9.x ... probably I should include inventory plus to modpack to avoid missing dependencys.
EDIT1:

From debug text:

22:50:08: VERBOSE[main]: error_message = ModError: Failed to load and run C:\Users\Jason\Documents\minetest-0.4.4-win32\minetest-0.4.4-win32\bin\..\mods\minetest\mobf\mobf\init.lua

So what should I do about the inventory plus problem?

EDIT: Just to clarify I'm running 1.4.x version, not 1.9.x.

EDIT 2: I switched out the old version for the new one. It just made things worse. My sounds were messed up, more invisible mobs, and there were DM's everywhere!! To top it off the game crashed. I can't use your mob anymore unless these problems are fixed, as it is too hard to survive and it destroys my game.

EDIT 3: I downloaded version 1.9.0 just to see, and surprisingly it works fine. The invisible mob bug is less common, and the game didn't crash. The problem was not the mod, but how it affected other things in the game:
*steel doors wouldn't open and acted like steel blocks.
*Inventory was "frozen" (couldn't move anything or switch pages in creative mode inventory.
*Things I dug weren't added to my inventory (I lost my doors and other items)
Last edited by J-Block on Fri Dec 28, 2012 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

sapier

by sapier » Fri Dec 28, 2012 16:50

@J-Block please copy lines around the error line for 1.4.x too. Those might show whats really going on.

1.9.x is experimental atm I can't give any guarantee it's working correct until 2.x release.
Nevertheless the more ppl testing 1.9.x the faster I'll be able to release a 2.x version.

EDIT1: do not switch back from 1.9.x to 1.4.x world has been modified by 1.9.x and won't be compatible to 1.4.6 anymore!
Last edited by sapier on Fri Dec 28, 2012 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

J-Block

by J-Block » Fri Dec 28, 2012 17:04

sapier wrote:@J-Block please copy lines around the error line for 1.4.x too. Those might show whats really going on.

1.9.x is experimental atm I can't give any guarantee it's working correct until 2.x release.
Nevertheless the more ppl testing 1.9.x the faster I'll be able to release a 2.x version.

EDIT1: do not switch back from 1.9.x to 1.4.x world has been modified by 1.9.x and won't be compatible to 1.4.6 anymore!

Oh shoot! Well, too late; that explains alot. I'm sorry but I can't find that line from the debug txt, and if what you say is true, I can't re-create the problem.
Last edited by J-Block on Fri Dec 28, 2012 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

sapier

by sapier » Fri Dec 28, 2012 17:31

sorry I shoud've made more clear that 1.4 -> 1.9 is a one way transition

J-Block

by J-Block » Fri Dec 28, 2012 18:15

sapier wrote:sorry I shoud've made more clear that 1.4 -> 1.9 is a one way transition

Okay, well I guess that does it. I can't use the mod. It sucks because all the mods out there for mobs don't work for me. :( I'll look for updates on this; maybe a new version will work for me. It's really nice.

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Sat Dec 29, 2012 01:09

J-Block: steps to make mobf useable:
1. blacklist all mobs, enable step by step by hand
Gr8 b8, m8. I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8. I r8 this b8 an 8/8. Plz no h8, I'm str8 ir8. Cr8 more, can't w8. We should convers8, I won't ber8, my number is 8888888, ask for N8. No calls l8 or out of st8. If on a d8, ask K8 to loc8. Even with a full pl8, I always have time to communic8 so don't hesit8.

sapier

by sapier » Sat Dec 29, 2012 03:29

I'm about to replace all abm based spawn algorithms by entity based ones hoping to solve lag issues ... but it's gonna increase entity number by round about factor 2. As minetests entity system is still broken I'm not sure if minetest can even handle that.
I expect this work to be completed before 2013 ;-)

Still there remains Github issue 229 which renders accleration based movement generation somehow risky as in worst case scenario a single performance glitch will hang server.

jordan4ibanez movegen doesn't use acceleration and it's movement look strange (at least at my oppinion), but it won't suffer from 229 so prabably this might be an interim solution

dannydark

by dannydark » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:18

@sapier are you hosting your images on page 1 with "freeimagehosting.net"? as I can't access the page 1 in chrome as this website has been reported to contain malware (see report here).

Any chance of using a different image host? I can still access the page with images disabled just a bit annoying.

sapier

by sapier » Sat Dec 29, 2012 13:14

@dannydark I'm going host them on my doc space as soon as I'm gonna release 2.x. I'm gonna need new images for 2.x anyways. Hopfully this will be last location change ;-)
Last edited by sapier on Sat Dec 29, 2012 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases