[Mod] Advanced area protection [areas]

ShadowNinja

GitHub: ShadowNinja
IRC: ShadowNinja
In-game: ShadowNinja

by ShadowNinja » Mon Apr 07, 2014 03:42

kriskovski wrote:Can somebody make a video tutorial? I can't understand how to use this. I have very tall building and I want to protect it, but I can only place 2 nodes. I want to cover the whole area of the building. [Edited for clarity]

There isn't a video tutorial currently that I am aware of.
However, protecting a building is trivial. Just go to one corner (such as the front bottom left), type /area_pos1, go to the other corner (such as the back top right), type /area_pos2, and type /protect <Name of area>. The name can contain spaces.
I play on my Minetest server and VanessaE's.
The best way to contact me is usually IRC (InchraNet, freenode).

CraigyDavi

GitHub: davisonio
IRC: davisonio or CraigyDavi
In-game: davisonio or CraigyDavi

by CraigyDavi » Mon Apr 07, 2014 09:18

kriskovski wrote:Can somebody make a video tutorial, i really cant understand. I have super tall building and i want to protect it from top to bottom but i can put only 2 nodes i want to cover the whole area of the building, sorry if i sound stupid but, its hard ...

You can use this mod. It provides a GUI for the areas mod.

kriskovski

by kriskovski » Mon Apr 07, 2014 09:54

ShadowNinja wrote:....Just go to one corner (such as the front bottom left), type /area_pos1, go to the other corner (such as the back top right), type /area_pos2, and type /protect <Name of area>. The name can contain spaces.

I got that, but when I punch the opposite nodes in the corner of the building whats the radius that protects and the height, i have really tall building ....
Craig i tried the gui, Im sorry but i didn't understand it either...
Thank you for your replies

CraigyDavi

by CraigyDavi » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:25

You would type /area_pos set. Then you can punch the block on the bottom corner. And then punch the block at the top corner. Then you type /protect areaname It will protect the area inside the two blocks you have punched.
So you would be punching a block on the bottom of the building and one at the top.
Last edited by CraigyDavi on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

kriskovski

by kriskovski » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:43

CraigyDavi wrote:You would type /area_pos set. Then you can punch the block on the bottom corner. And then punch the block at the top corner. Then you type /protect areaname It will protect the area inside the two blocks you have punched.
So you would be punching a block on the bottom of the building and one at the top.

Ok but how the mod knows the other dimensions. i have non-cube buildings and also nonstandard buildings how can i protect them fully when I can only place 2 protection points, really if somebody could make video, i know it important part for a server, I am trying to understand but ...
Last edited by kriskovski on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

Achilles

In-game: Achilles

by Achilles » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:52

kriskovski wrote:
CraigyDavi wrote:You would type /area_pos set. Then you can punch the block on the bottom corner. And then punch the block at the top corner. Then you type /protect areaname It will protect the area inside the two blocks you have punched.

Ok but how the mod knows the other dimensions. i have non-cube buildings and also nonstandard buildings how can i protect them fully when I can only place 2 protection points, really if somebody could make video, i know it important part for a server, I am trying to understand but ...

The two nodes that you punch make a diagonal line between two corners of a cuboid or a cube. Everything within this cube or cuboid is protected. So even if your building is a non cube, It will still fit inside the area which will be protected.
The Ironic Thing About Common Sense Is That It Isn't Very Common

kriskovski

by kriskovski » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:02

How to protect the building and the garden around it?
That building is tall and its inside the garden, the garden is normal trees and around all sides of the building.
Thank you again.

Achilles

In-game: Achilles

by Achilles » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:16

kriskovski wrote:How to protect the building and the garden around it?
That building is tall and its inside the garden, the garden is normal trees and around all sides of the building.
Thank you again.

Ask the admin on the server you play on to show you how to use the Area mod... It is easier to understand if you are shown howit works rather than told... I took ages getting used to it :P
The Ironic Thing About Common Sense Is That It Isn't Very Common

kriskovski

by kriskovski » Mon Apr 07, 2014 15:32

Achilles wrote:
kriskovski wrote:...

Ask the admin on the server you play on to show you how to use the Area mod... It is easier to understand if you are shown how it works rather than told... I took ages getting used to it :P

Can you tell me a server with admins like you said, because I am not in server, I am tying to have my own that's why I ask

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:10

Your mod really works well when it comes to protecting areas and on a server can save a ton of hassle, although... would it be possible to add a protection block like in Zeg's Protector mod where a user doesn't have to ask admin to protect an area, especially when they are still building and said area needs to be deleted and expanded over time...

This would save a lot of time and effort if they could create a temporary Protection Block and place it down to protect 5 or 10 blocks in each direction without the need for admin (until they are finished)...

CraigyDavi

by CraigyDavi » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:30

TenPlus1 wrote:where a user doesn't have to ask admin to protect an area

You can set it in the config so that players can protect areas themselves.

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:37

I've done that before and they seem to shy away from the command side of things, so having a simple and craftable block they can plop down is a lot easier for those type of users who want no hassle protection...

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:02

TenPlus1 wrote:I've done that before and they seem to shy away from the command side of things, so having a simple and craftable block they can plop down is a lot easier for those type of users who want no hassle protection...

Use my markers mod. It adds an easy to use formspec based gui plus physical markers.
A list of my mods can be found here.

BrunoMine

GitHub: BrunoMine

Re: [Mod] Advanced area protection [areas]

by BrunoMine » Tue Jun 24, 2014 17:55

could hurt those who try to violate the areas?

RHR

GitHub: RHRhino

by RHR » Tue Jun 24, 2014 21:55

Is it possible to remove a pice of a protected area? eg if you want to protect a huge area and make some small areas unprotected.

WebWolf

by WebWolf » Tue Jun 24, 2014 23:16

Hi ShadowNinja,

Is there a possibility to include a new feature: the admin (or the player with a specific privilege/grant) can set or select a specific area to have PVP turned off (desactivated), when in PVP servers?
(in other words, PVP is active in the world, except in those lands/claims/protectedAreas where the admin turned the flag off for PVP)
As a real (and the main reason for the request) example, there is the Spawn area in a server: the player will not be able to hurt or kill another player; and he will not be hurted or killed (no damage taken) by other player too, when in the Spawn (or in some other specific protected area when pvp flag is turned off for that protected area).

This special option in a Mod for protecting land (where admins are able to disable PvP only in protected areas) has been asked since 2012, almost 2 years ago, without success till now. :(
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4108

Please, can you add this new feature/option?

Thank you.

ShadowNinja

by ShadowNinja » Wed Jun 25, 2014 00:49

brunob.santos wrote:Could you make areas hurt players who try to violate the areas?

Yes, but:
  1. This can be done much more generically with a separate mod using register_on_protection_violation
  2. I don't like these deterrents because they hurt legitimate players and do nothing if the player messes with a unprotected area. If the area is protected they can't touch it and damaging them is pointless.

RHR wrote:Is it possible to remove a piece of a protected area? For example if you want to protect a huge area and make some small areas unprotected.

Yes, protect the large area and each small area, then use /area_open on the small areas that you want to be public.

ShadowNinja

by ShadowNinja » Wed Jun 25, 2014 00:55

WebWolf wrote:Is it possible to have areas where PvP is enabled or disabled? [Edited for clarity and brevity]

No. The PvP setting is server-wide, and clients might cache it. However it's probably possible to fake it by overriding on_punch or a similar callback in all entities to make it check where it is before accepting damage. This would be ugly though, would probably produce incorrect client-side damage prediction, and is definitely best suited for a external mod. Areas provides an API for external mods to use.

WebWolf

by WebWolf » Wed Jun 25, 2014 06:05

ShadowNinja wrote:No. (...) However it's probably possible to fake it by overriding on_punch or a similar callback in all entities to make it check where it is before accepting damage. This would be ugly though, would probably produce incorrect client-side damage prediction, and is definitely best suited for a external mod. Areas provides an API for external mods to use.

OK. So maybe there is some kind of light (possibility) in the future (through a new Mod)..
Thank you. :)

lotek

GitHub: LotekHeavy
IRC: lotek
In-game: lotek

by lotek » Sat Jul 19, 2014 13:34

how could I achieve that this mod (or another) also prevent users from digging through walls and to creep into "protected" buildings?
----
Mine Heavy
http://mine.heavy.ch

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sat Jul 19, 2014 14:43

lotek wrote:how could I achieve that this mod (or another) also prevent users from digging through walls and to creep into "protected" buildings?

Revoke them "interact" or use (almost) not breakable nodes. Lags can happen.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

ShadowNinja

by ShadowNinja » Sat Jul 19, 2014 23:18

lotek wrote:how could I achieve that this mod (or another) also prevent users from digging through walls and to creep into "protected" buildings?

This is impossible. Clients will always be able to go into protected buildings, even if it takes a modified client or disconnecting a network cable to do it. However, you can use a mod like my bedrock mod to slow down less determined players though.

ak399g

In-game: SAFR

by ak399g » Wed Jul 23, 2014 02:29

I recall one mod that dealt damage to players that dug protected nodes. It wouldn't completely protect the inside, but with a high enough damage setting, players would die upon entry.

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Wed Jul 23, 2014 08:35

ak399g wrote:I recall one mod that dealt damage to players that dug protected nodes. It wouldn't completely protect the inside, but with a high enough damage setting, players would die upon entry.

It's incredibly annoying to do such a thing, because it's hard enough to see whether a node is protected or not already. The only way where it would be acceptable is where it hurts you, then your health is given back after a few seconds.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Wed Jul 23, 2014 14:29

Calinou wrote:It's incredibly annoying to do such a thing, because it's hard enough to see whether a node is protected or not already.

That's right. It usually annoys me a lot as well. Fortionately, the Landrush landclaim mod evolved. Brandon included some code (at least on his server) so that players who have been online for some time did no longer get attacked by the mod. No damage at all would still be better (that flower standing in the wild landscape without any indication of a building miles around may be protected), but with that exception for players who have been on some time, it usually works fine.

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Sun Sep 28, 2014 02:47

I have created a tool but the tool can be used in protected areas. I looked at the bucket code and the door code but I don't understand how to make it work. After I registered my tool I used this code to make it do something.
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
minetest.register_on_punchnode(function(pos, node, puncher, pointed_thing)
   if puncher:get_wielded_item():get_name() == "staff:staff"
   and node.name == "default:cobble" then
   minetest.set_node(pos,{name = "default:sand"})
   end

Any chance you could help me out.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

ShadowNinja

by ShadowNinja » Mon Sep 29, 2014 00:52

Don wrote:I have created a tool but the tool can be used in protected areas [whereas it shouldn't]. Any chance you could help me out?

Yes, Areas supports Minetest's built-in protection API. Use minetest.is_protected(pos, player_name) to check if an area is protected from a player. If the area is protected you should probably call minetest.record_protection_violation(pos, player_name), which will send the user a warning chat message (and with other protection mods might do other things, such as inflicting damage on the player).
For example:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
minetest.register_on_punchnode(function(pos, node, puncher, pointed_thing)
   if puncher:get_wielded_item():get_name() == "staff:staff"
         and node.name == "default:cobble" then
      local player_name = punchar:get_player_name()
      if minetest.is_protected(pos, player_name) then
         minetest.record_protection_violation(pos, player_name)
         return
      end
      minetest.set_node(pos, {name = "default:sand"})
   end
end

jp

GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:00

- Idea -

Seeing the stars on GitHub or the sustained motivation brings by the 'likes' on FB, I thought that players may appreciate be starred for the quality of their construction. It can be interpretated like a simple thank you, a measurable valuation that authors can check anytime, or an effective way to visit the interesting buildings by priority.

Example :

(/star for starring a protected area)

Minetestforfun

GitHub: Darcidride
IRC: Darcidride + MinetestForFun
In-game: Darcidride + MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:51

very good idea and work jp, thank you

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Thu Oct 30, 2014 05:20

jp wrote:Seeing the stars on GitHub or the sustained motivation brings by the 'likes' on FB, I thought that players may appreciate be starred for the quality of their construction. It can be interpretated like a simple thank you, a measurable valuation that authors can check anytime, or an effective way to visit the interesting buildings by priority.

That would be very nice to have. I've seen many great buildings where I wanted to thank the people who had built them for doing so. The areas mod and its data structure is also a natural place that comes to mind for storing such praise.
A general "thank you", "recommend this to others" and maybe "report a problem" (in case lava gone wild or something else which might require intervention) might work best. If stars are assigned, a rating of e.g. 1-5 stars comes to mind - which might not work so well as everyone might have a diffrent opinon about what ought to be ranked how, whereas a "thank you" is more neutral.
Another reason for wanting to have such an option could be to allow players to self-protect more areas if the areas they have already found the approval of other players. This might be a protection against land-grabbing.

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases