[Mod] Experimental mapgen [mg]

Viking

Re: [Mod] Experimental mapgen [mg]

by Viking » Tue Jul 01, 2014 16:11

Love this mapgen. The terrain is well done and the cave system is, well, extensive :)

I also like the idea of ore in veins but, as already noted, for singleplayer it can be tedious as it's much harder to find a vein of the more valuable ore's. In about 30 hours of mining (actual mining not just playing using freebee diamond picks) I have found 1 diamond vein (253 items), 1 gold vein (419) and 7 nodes of mithril which was not in a vein just random.

So, as I play only singleplayer I devised a solution.

There is an old mod, charcoal (https://github.com/torusJKL/charcoal) which produces charcoal lumps from burning trees. The lumps are furnace fuel, more efficient than coal, and worth making IMHO.

Charcoal is carbon, so is diamond, so I added some code to charcoal init creating a new craftitem I called diamond fragment. Basically, 9 charcoal lumps creates a diamond fragment, 9 diamond fragments creates a diamond.

So, 9x9 = 81 trees burned into charcoal gets you a diamond. 81x3 = 243 trees needed to make a diamond pick.
Then you can go and spend the time looking for the veins.

244 tree node's (you still need sticks) will be a lot for some players, not enough for others. I considered another step, say burning the charcoal lumps in a furnace to produce, call it Pure Carbon, then using Pure Carbon to craft diamond fragment's.

There is another old mod, nanotech (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6469&hilit=nanotech) which is based on carbon. The tools are overpowered IMHO but creating diamond could be added to this mod as well. It requires a lot of cotton farming.

On another note, a few hundred years ago it was thought you could make gold from lead. Perhaps someone can find a way :)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Tue Jul 01, 2014 22:01

Viking wrote:Charcoal is carbon, so is diamond, so I added some code to charcoal init creating a new craftitem I called diamond fragment. Basically, 9 charcoal lumps creates a diamond fragment, 9 diamond fragments creates a diamond.

That might be one solution to the ore problem. Characoal is generally a good idea as it helps to play through the first night - before one has found coal. With the ores beeing diffrently distributed like in this mapgen, characoal seems even more important. Using it for tools is better than having to search for hours for materials for tools that are anything but lasting.

With BrandonReeses Adventuretest, it is incredibly hard to craft anything at all. It takes a lot of experience points to increase the skill for i.e. smelting iron - let alone crafting that into tools. The gameplay is quite diffrent from the normal game due to that. It's more likely to find some iron lumps in a chest in a village than underground by digging.

I've taken Nores mapgen and changed the village generator slightly so that it creates additional types of villages (mainly my medieval ones) as well. This works fine so far but needs improvement. The intention is to populate those villages with traders from whom everything can be obtained. I hope to mix that somehow with Brandons Game.

Viking wrote:On another note, a few hundred years ago it was thought you could make gold from lead. Perhaps someone can find a way :)

Impossible. The existence of lead is a myth! Such things do not exist in a common Minetest world :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

Viking

by Viking » Wed Jul 02, 2014 20:35

Using charcoal in this manner seems to be quite doable. I made a new map, starting from scratch, and it took me about an hour to make a diamond sword. Once I had the sword I went searching for a village secure in the knowledge that I could survive the night outside.

I cut enough wood to make a small wood house and only cut wood during the day until I had the sword. I dug a hole in the cabin, made some ladders, and mined only enough stone to make a furnace and keep me in stone axes.
I planted enough saplings to keep from having to go looking for trees, burned the rest for fuel along with any leaves I picked up. Grabbed apples from 2nd generation trees, sheared/butchered the occasional nearby sheep.

BTW, I generally play Next using one of sfan5's win 64 builds.

I played it safe and while I didn't hurry I didn't dawdle either. I didn't need any coal (not that coal is scarce) nor did I enter any cave.

I noticed savanna saplings were not fuel so I added them along with pine.

I did spawn underground (again) but was in dirt so no problem. I have spawned in stone before and that needs to be addressed, as already noted.

On a lark I decided to add some lead :) There is a mod, titanium, viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3113
(use version 4) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/654 ... rsion4.zip that has some nice grey ore.
I enabled the mod and edited the file mg/oredesc and added the code:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
mg.register_ore({
   name = "titanium:titanium_in_ground",
   wherein = "default:stone",
   seeddiff = 8,
   maxvdistance = 10,
   sizen = 54,
   sizedev = 27,
   maxheight = 64,
   seglenghtn = 15,
   seglenghtdev = 6,
   segincln = 0,
   segincldev = 0.36,
   turnangle = 57,
   forkturnangle = 57,
   radius = 1,
   numperblock = 6
})

It's just a copy of the coal line's with the variable seeddiff changed from 1 to 8. Each ore appears to have a unique seeddiff and 8 was the next higher unused number.
I noticed there is no code for tin here?

What I got was lots of nice titanium veins similiar in size and location to the coal veins :)
Titanium makes some awesome tools but that was not my intention. With a little work you could create a lead ore and make it into a source for gold using the same 9x9 I suggested for wood into diamond. IE burn lead lumps into ingots, craft 9 lead ingots into a lead block, 9 blocks into a gold lump or ingot.
Lol, far fetched I know, but I play singleplayer so who cares :)

Good luck with your traders Sokomine. I'm not into extreme survival (I play this game to relax) but this map gen is simply too good not to use.

Nore

GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Wed Jul 02, 2014 20:40

Well, actually, the code for other mods is in other mods (both moreores and technic soft-depend on the mapgen, and call the mapgens hook for the ores if they are enabled). So, 8 may actually be used (you should take a higher number, like 42, to be sure it isn't used).
Anyway, thanks for reporting the saplings issues, I'm going to fix it.

Viking

by Viking » Thu Jul 03, 2014 19:44

Seeddiff at 42, got it and thank you

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 14:34

I just regenerated the overview map with --drawalpha, looks beautiful.
+ Show image
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Tue Jul 08, 2014 14:38

Yes, village and land distribution works very nicely. I wonder how the overview map will look with the new village types added.

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 19:24

Sokomine wrote:I wonder how the overview map will look with the new village types added.

New village types? Which new village types?
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Wed Jul 09, 2014 23:20

sfan5 wrote:New village types? Which new village types?

Villages with diffrent sets of houses. Currently available (depending on mods installed) are:
Typ "Nore": What this mapgen comes with. Good adventure town.
Typ "Taoki": Taoki allowed me to use the houses he built for his Structure I/O mod which aims at a similar direction as the mg villages. The houses are more detailed and a bit larger than those in "Nore"-villages.
With my cottages mod installed, you additionally get:
Typ "Medieval": Basicly what I did for my villages mod plus a few more schematics (wagons, sheds, ...). Detailed medieval villages.
Typ "Charachoal": Has only two buildings - a charachoal burner's simple hut and a hill where he makes the charachoal.
Typ "Lumberjack": Those lumberjack houses from my random-buildings mod, slightly modernized (more features of cottages-mod used) in combination with a new wooden church, inn and barack (called "hotel").
Typ "Claytrader": Well, not yet. Need to check the schematics. And I don't really know weather they ought to form villages or not.
Typ "Logcabin": Kind of a study how small houses can become while still looking good. No infrastructure buildings yet. They might use those from the lumberjack typ above in the future or even get merged with them.
Typ "Canadian": Houses built by LadyMacBest for Mauvebics mm2 modpack. Requires mods from that modpack to actually work. Rather a town with huge buildings than a village.
Typ "Grasshut": Requires some mods from the Eden game (grasses?). Inspired by a picture in one of the threads of the mods from that modpack.

As with my villages mod, some materials used in the buildings are randomly changed for entire villages so that they look a bit diffrent.

Nore also changed something so that more small villages can spawn in one area.

dm42

GitHub: dentm42
In-game: dm42

by dm42 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:46

As with my villages mod, some materials used in the buildings are randomly changed for entire villages so that they look a bit diffrent.

Is there any way to "scout" what materials are/will be availalbe in that area before the village is created? For example, if it's going to be a log-cabin type village - is there a way to find out what wood is "naturally" in the area? Or even base it on what biome you're in (and make some assumptions about what's available)? Just curious. Haven't checked out the pack yet, but will be very soon.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Tue Sep 23, 2014 03:20

dm42 wrote:Is there any way to "scout" what materials are/will be availalbe in that area before the village is created? For example, if it's going to be a log-cabin type village - is there a way to find out what wood is "naturally" in the area? Or even base it on what biome you're in (and make some assumptions about what's available)? Just curious. Haven't checked out the pack yet, but will be very soon.

Not really. The mods installed (especially tree and wood types) determine what will be considered as building material. When it comes to placing a town, random materials are selected. Basing that decision on the biome present wouldn't be trivial at all, and it might not work very well anyway. Most biomes are pretty small. Their borders will in many cases be inside the village. Ground types (grass, snow, dirt, dirt from ethereal, ...) are kept, so you can see where those borders wander through the village. Giving each house individual materials would be possible, but it won't be a good idea. The villages need some common style in order to look well. With towns, that might be diffrent.

Fritigern

In-game: Fritigern

by Fritigern » Fri Oct 17, 2014 04:43

So for the past weeks, I was stumped why my static_spawnpoint wasn't being used. Finally figured out that mg was to blame for this.

From init.lua, lines 714-739
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
local function spawnplayer(player)
   local noise1 = minetest.get_perlin(12345, 6, 0.5, 256)
   local min_dist = math.huge
   local min_pos = {x = 0, y = 3, z = 0}
   for bx = -20, 20 do
   for bz = -20, 20 do
      local minp = {x = -32 + 80 * bx, y = -32, z = -32 + 80 * bz}
      for _, village in ipairs(villages_at_point(minp, noise1)) do
         if math.abs(village.vx) + math.abs(village.vz) < min_dist then
            min_pos = {x = village.vx, y = village.vh + 2, z = village.vz}
            min_dist = math.abs(village.vx) + math.abs(village.vz)
         end
      end
   end
   end
   player:setpos(min_pos)
end

minetest.register_on_newplayer(function(player)
   spawnplayer(player)
end)

minetest.register_on_respawnplayer(function(player)
   spawnplayer(player)
   return true
end)

This is so not cool, all mods should honor minetest.conf's settings, unless the user somehow indicates that they don't wish to use the static_spawnpoint, for instance by leaving static_spawnpoint empty, or by setting a config option on the mod's settings but no such provision was made in this mod's code!!!

Not cool guys, seriously not cool.
--
This is NOT a sig.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Fri Oct 17, 2014 15:39

Fritigern wrote:This is so not cool, all mods should honor minetest.conf's settings, unless the user somehow indicates that they don't wish to use the static_spawnpoint, for instance by leaving static_spawnpoint empty, or by setting a config option on the mod's settings but no such provision was made in this mod's code!!!

The reason for a spawn point beeing set by the mod is that prior to that change, people used to spawn embedded in stone or dirt when joining a world. Which is very confusing and looks like something's broken. Now players are placed at the center of the next available village - which is a far better starting point.

Beeing able to override that automatic spawning may indeed be intresting for servers. Perhaps I'll consider it in my mg_villages mod. A /spawn command couldn't hurt in singleplayer either...

Fritigern

by Fritigern » Fri Oct 17, 2014 21:09

Here's an idea in pseudo-code, because i don't know Lua:

trigger_on_spawning_new_player
{
  while(node.above.head != air && node.at.head.level != air )
  {
     player_pos.z = player_pos.z + 2
  }
}

This will not prevent players from spawning in caves or tiny pockets of air, but at least it will prevent them from spawning inside solid nodes and be trapped there.
Better yet, make sure there's air all around so that the player can dig out if needed, but as long as the spawn point is obstructed, move them up by 2 nodes because moving up by a single node may still lead to the player spawn with their head buried.
--
This is NOT a sig.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Fri Oct 17, 2014 21:31

Fritigern wrote:Here's an idea in pseudo-code, because i don't know Lua:

IMHO the spawning in the next village is a very good thing. That way, you know what this mapgen can do, and have a more intresting starting point than those random ones. It's just when servers change the spawn point which ought to be honored. Of course, all this beeing open source, you can change it all according to your liking and don't have to wait upon what someone else likes :-)

Fritigern

by Fritigern » Fri Oct 24, 2014 16:32

Sokomine wrote:IMHO the spawning in the next village is a very good thing. That way, you know what this mapgen can do, and have a more intresting starting point than those random ones.

There are two big issues with your statement
ISSUE #1
Before you can spawn in a village, the following two conditions have to be met:
1 - The world must have generated far enough to have spawned a village, or you will simply spawn at 0,0,0
2 - The user must have died *after* condition 1 became true.

ISSUE #2
I will illustrate this issue with an example. Imagine, if you will, the following (single player) scenario:
Jimmy creates a new world using a random seed and found that this time he did not spawn in water, a rare occasion indeed. He waits a little and sees that 0,0,0 is actually a great spot to set up his base.
So Jimmy starts building and building, he remembered to do /sethome so that he is certain to spawn inside his awesome base should anything happen. He also put down a bed (he has the beds mod) and even set his home in Unified Inventory. Nothing can go wrong!
And Jimmy builds higher and higher, he keeps going until he accidentally falls off his building. No sweat, he has set a home so he should spawn right there!
But hey! A village? Why did I spawn here, Jimmy wonders, I was supposed to spawn inside my base! This is when Jimmy finds out the difference between a spawnpoint and a home. And which way is my home again? And how far?
So okay, Jimmy goes and sets 0,0,0 as his static_spawnpoint in minetest.conf because that should work.
Only, it doesn't, because Sokomine thought it was a good idea to override the static_spawnpoint, causing unexpected behavior in the game.

See the problem with an overridden static_spawnpoint?
--
This is NOT a sig.

Nore

by Nore » Fri Oct 24, 2014 17:22

Fritigern wrote:ISSUE #1
Before you can spawn in a village, the following two conditions have to be met:
1 - The world must have generated far enough to have spawned a village, or you will simply spawn at 0,0,0

Wrong. The code looks for where a village will spawn and spawns the player there.

Fritigern wrote:Only, it doesn't, because Sokomine thought it was a good idea to override the static_spawnpoint, causing unexpected behavior in the game.

See the problem with an overridden static_spawnpoint?

Overriding static_spawnpoint was unintended behaviour, as I never use this feature. It has been fixed in the latest version.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Tue Oct 28, 2014 01:59

Fritigern wrote:So okay, Jimmy goes and sets 0,0,0 as his static_spawnpoint in minetest.conf because that should work.

If your Jimmy's experienced enough to get that done, he'll maybe know about other ways of getting where he wants to.

Fritigern wrote:Only, it doesn't, because Sokomine thought it was a good idea to override the static_spawnpoint, causing unexpected behavior in the game.

And I still think it is a far better idea than to spawn players embedded in dirt :-)

Nore wrote:It has been fixed in the latest version.

Thanks! I've added that fix to mg_villages as well.

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sun Nov 16, 2014 09:57

There's an issue with the leafdecay:

Please add
trunk = "mg:pinetree",

to the pine (and savanna tree) leaves definition to support the subgames BASE and Voxelgarden.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Nore

by Nore » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:01

Last edited by Nore on Fri Jul 24, 2015 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

Fritigern

by Fritigern » Fri Nov 21, 2014 03:33

Hey guys, the latest Git version of minetest checks for uninitialized globals and the mg mod has proven to have a lot of them. I have taken the liberty of fixing them on my system, see my fixes below.
These fixes have stopped the warnings and all is honky dory now. In fact, it seems to have improved the speed of /mg_regenerate, but that could be either coincidence or even the power of suggestion.
P.S. This took me all day, i barely knew what i was doing, but i think i have learned a thing or two about Lua...
P.P.S. If i knew how to make a diff, i probably would have...

+ mg/init.lua lines 747 and 759
+ mg/init.lua line 118
+ mg/init.lua Lines 458-460
+ mg/init.lua Line 649
+ mg/ores.lua lines 12, 35, 94 and 95
+ mg/villages.lua Line 164
+ mg/villages.lua Lines 252-255 (244-247)
+ mg/villages.lua Line 278 (270)
+ mg/villages.lua Lines 284 (272)
+ mg/villages.lua Lines 306 (294)
+ mg/we.lua Line 15
+ mg/rotate.lua Line 22, 43
--
This is NOT a sig.

Nore

by Nore » Sun Nov 23, 2014 13:14

Ok, those leaking globals should be fixed now.

wcwyes

by wcwyes » Mon May 04, 2015 01:41

I'm having what seems to be a bug in the mapgen code farming:cotton_seed seems to be referenced as farming:seed_cotton when placed in a chest I can't seem to find the reference though

Nore

by Nore » Mon May 04, 2015 05:50

These are in the we schematics of the mods; I will see if I can fix that.

Wayward_One

GitHub: Wayward1
IRC: Wayward_One Wayward1
In-game: Wayward_One

Possible Addition

by Wayward_One » Fri May 15, 2015 21:18

Hello :) I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement this, but I would really like to see abandoned mines in addition to villages, like the ones from this mod: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6307 or this one: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10225

Maybe they could even be made to spawn under and/or near villages as well :D
"When life becomes a play and I don't know the role I'm cast..."

Latest Minetest builds for Android

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Tue May 19, 2015 03:05

Wayward_One wrote:Hello :) I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement this, but I would really like to see abandoned mines in addition to villages, like the ones from this mod: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6307 or this one: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10225

The trouble with the mines is that it's hard to find them if they're entirely underground.

Wayward_One wrote:Maybe they could even be made to spawn under and/or near villages as well :D

A miner's village might be something. The entrance could either be a drop-shaft with a small tower on top, or a ground-level entrance with some mining shafts going straight through the next mountain. Making that look good and working would require quite some work I'm afraid.

wcwyes

by wcwyes » Sat Jul 04, 2015 06:43

Nore wrote: It has been fixed in the latest version.
It still a little buggy

Nore

by Nore » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:45

wcwyes wrote:
Nore wrote: It has been fixed in the latest version.
It still a little buggy

You mean the static_spawnpoint thing?

swordpaint12

In-game: [swordpaint12][Belching_Balladeer]

by swordpaint12 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 18:17

I just got this error:

14:13:46: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run C:\Users\<my user>\Desktop\minetest-0.4.12-win64-msvc\minetest-0.4.12\bin\..\mods\mg_biomes\init.lua
14:13:46: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run C:\Users\<my user>\Desktop\minetest-0.4.12-win64-msvc\minetest-0.4.12\bin\..\mods\mg_biomes\init.lua
Winter Cumicles
God's not dead; remember that!
Yay for MT! No MC here!
I am a human. I'm younger than 100 years old.
I've been playing Minetest since December 2014.
Fruit!

I'm amazed that I haven't been on here in so long! My latest minetest accomplishment was mining by hand (well, as close as you can get in a computer game) a circle 30 blocks in diameter. It took forever but it's pretty cool.

Nore

by Nore » Mon Aug 24, 2015 21:14

Could you try to rename the folder to "mg" please ?

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases