[Mod] Components [0.8.2] [components]

SegFault22

[Mod] Components [0.8.2] [components]

by SegFault22 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 01:37

Components Mod
Do you think that adding steel handles to tools could improve their durability? Have you been troubled with two identical items with different recipes, that are not interchangeable? Then you have come to the right place.

The Components mod is a project started by me, which aims to unify basic tools and parts for all mods. For example, if two mods add their own steel gear, there are two recipes, and they are not interchangeable - but if both mods simply depend on the single steel gear from this mod, only one recipe is needed, and the gear works with both mods.

Currently, this mod offers no relevant content alone - however, in the future I plan to add more stuff - some cheaper recipes for tools (tool part + tool handle) will likely be added. I will also be developing other mods that use this mod, and a modpack containing them all.

For your convenience, relevant information can be found under the following tabs, instead of somewhere in a wall of text:
+ Tools

+ Parts

+ Crafting

+ License, Dependencies & Download
Last edited by SegFault22 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 01:53, edited 2 times in total.
Resources are abundant; only money is scarce. People should not have to work hard and remain poor just to pay for the needs of survival.
Society can thrive without money - but only if productive members of society are rewarded for being productive.

cheapie

GitHub: cheapie
IRC: cheapie
In-game: cheapie

by cheapie » Sun Apr 06, 2014 06:35

The recipe for your file appears to conflict with Technic's screwdriver.
Signature antivirus (Linux only): "grep -iv -- Signature\ virus" (minus the quotes, of course)
Signature goes in stdin, viruses are removed, and cleaned signature comes out on stdout.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 07:35

cheapie wrote:The recipe for your file appears to conflict with Technic's screwdriver.

Fixed. Thank you for the information.
Resources are abundant; only money is scarce. People should not have to work hard and remain poor just to pay for the needs of survival.
Society can thrive without money - but only if productive members of society are rewarded for being productive.

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sun Apr 06, 2014 08:04

Nice mod! I guess there are more like this out there - well, maybe I'll use it in the future for my "real" crafting mods.

One little thing: Why is the version at the same day already v0.8.1??
EDIT:
replacing
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
'craft "default:steel_ingot"'

with
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
"default:steel_ingot"

helps to read the craftings faster.
Last edited by Krock on Sun Apr 06, 2014 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 08:22

Krock wrote:Nice mod! I guess there are more like this out there - well, maybe I'll use it in the future for my "real" crafting mods.

One little thing: Why is the version at the same day already v0.8.1??
EDIT:
replacing
'craft "default:steel_ingot"'

with
"default:steel_ingot"

helps to read the craftings faster.

The version is already v0.8.1, because I have been working on this for a while. I found it unnecessary to post without enough relevant content, and it was, before today, a part of a bigger mod, which is now defunct.
About the crafting tip, thank you. I will be sure to optimize the code in the next update.
Last edited by SegFault22 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 08:23, edited 1 time in total.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 14:22

GregTech's components detected ;)

Also, It's nice of you to provide this items, but people tend to make standalone mods.
Maybe if this would be a part of the default game then anyone would be safe to assume there is your "components" mod recipes and items/tools.

Moreover, simple alias of one itemname to another can fix the problem of interchangeability -
you have no need to edit the recipes, but only to alias similar items. This way there would be 2 or more recipes for different items, but since those are aliased, BOTH of those would be represented by just one item which would take part in any craft.

Anyway, the mod is cool :)

PS: 2shared is 2 slow.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 15:43

I set up a github repo for this project.

https://github.com/rubenwardy/components

I will be able to transfer ownership.

I recommend that you add groups to this project. For example, group:tool_saw
Last edited by rubenwardy on Sun Apr 06, 2014 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 17:51

rubenwardy wrote:I recommend that you add groups to this project. For example, group:tool_saw

+1

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 01:11

rubenwardy wrote:I set up a github repo for this project.

https://github.com/rubenwardy/components

I will be able to transfer ownership.

I recommend that you add groups to this project. For example, group:tool_saw

No. I don't need or want Github, and if I ever do use it, I will use it under my name, not another's.
As for groups, they are unnecessary, as there is but one of each kind of tool, and will never be any more kinds, unless tool damage is implemented by me.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 01:17

4aiman wrote:GregTech's components detected ;)

Also, It's nice of you to provide this items, but people tend to make standalone mods.
Maybe if this would be a part of the default game then anyone would be safe to assume there is your "components" mod recipes and items/tools.

Moreover, simple alias of one itemname to another can fix the problem of interchangeability -
you have no need to edit the recipes, but only to alias similar items. This way there would be 2 or more recipes for different items, but since those are aliased, BOTH of those would be represented by just one item which would take part in any craft.

Anyway, the mod is cool :)

PS: 2shared is 2 slow.

I am not a people who tends to make mods that are standalone. Regardless of if this mod is used by others, I will use it in the future, with my mods, which will be active on my server, that I will get around to starting if I ever get the initial funds for my Forex funding campaign, which I am having lots of trouble with, as I do not have any money to use to get the required money to start the funding campaign.
As for 2shared, if you don't like it, offer to donate so that I may begin my funding campaign and host the files on my server. If that is not an option, 2shared will remain the host.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 08:57

I have contributed to few mods, but never to a mod not on GitHub or BitBucket.

VCS are fiddly, but they are rewarding in contribution and certain areas of development. (Branches for features).

But if you don't want one, fine. I shall delete it.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Sun Apr 13, 2014 09:41

@SegFault22, don't get mad, man. I'm not telling you what to do or who you are anyway :)

SegFault22 wrote:As for 2shared, if you don't like it, offer to donate so that I may begin my funding campaign and host the files on my server. If that is not an option, 2shared will remain the host.

You don't need any funding to use some faster file hosting like dropbox or ubuntuone or google.drive or github...
I'm not forcing you to switch to any of the above, but it seems that 2shared is just one more way to fund your project.
Please, don't get offended. It's just my speculations based upon the choice of 2shared and unwilling to use some other free and fast host.

SegFault22 wrote:I am not a people who tends to make mods that are standalone. Regardless of if this mod is used by others, I will use it in the future, with my mods, which will be active on my server, that I will get around to starting if I ever get the initial funds for my Forex funding campaign, which I am having lots of trouble with, as I do not have any money to use to get the required money to start the funding campaign.

It's your project and it would be strange if you wouldn't use it by yourself. Now my assumption was regarding others.
I can't see how development of this or any other mod may help you or anyone else with any funding campaign.
You did great and created some great mods (including this one) but the best way to fund your project is to get a job. A good one preferably. Forgive me if you can't, but it's the best way.
Besides there are people who may have wanted to help you for free with setting up your server.

TL;DR I think you're over-engineering things to get your server up and running. There are some free alternatives and ways to get a static external IP to run your server at your home.

@Ruben, you don't have to delete anything - his current license is gplv2 and cc0. So at least the current version can be spread around.
*In fact it would be nice if someone will update this like I'm updating Ethereal - just in time and free of charge*

@SegFault22, Now you may throw some rotten tomatoes at me...
Anyone else may join him. I'm not too popular to fail to be patient these days.
Last edited by 4aiman on Sun Apr 13, 2014 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

Evergreen

GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:00

4aiman wrote:You don't need any funding to use some faster file hosting like dropbox or ubuntuone or google.drive or github...
ubuntuone doesn't exist anymore.
"Help! I searched for a mod but I couldn't find it!"
http://krock-works.16mb.com/MTstuff/modSearch.php

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:02

Evergreen wrote:ubuntuone doesn't exist anymore.

Huh?
https://one.ubuntu.com/ seems to be active, still.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 13:21

Krock wrote:
Evergreen wrote:ubuntuone doesn't exist anymore.

Huh?
https://one.ubuntu.com/ seems to be active, still.

No one new can sign up AFAIK, and they are closing in June.

I use drop box now, instead of Ubuntu one.

celeron55

by celeron55 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 14:54

I think this mod should define sane groups. Not everyone wants to depend on a mod. They may want to be self-contained, or they want to use a certain style or include some unique property in components provided by themselves. This mod could set a standard for groups used in those cases.

Groups were originally created for the exact purpose of creating interoperability without the burden of having a common mod to depend on, which is essential in this kind of hugely distributed development.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 23:52

4amian, you are wrong. I do not gain any profits from the ad services. I have been sleeping, which is why it appears that I'm "refusing" to use some other service. I'm going to move stuff to google drive. However, I do not yet know how to let everyone with a link download my files.
celeron55, thank you for the information. I'll work on the mod to make it more group-based, and such.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 09:13

SegFault22 wrote:4amian, you are wrong. I do not gain any profits from the ad services.

Never said that :)
I guess it doesn't matter now, but still I want to explain myself:
I meant that keeping files @ 2shared and telling us that you're not going to change that until you will have your own server (which needs funding) seemed to me like a way to say: help me with my server by funding it and I'll give you a fast and easy way to download my stuff.

Now, maybe it was I who didn't understand other in the first place. In that case, please, accept my apologies.

Also, group-based approach is good. This would enable me to support your mod w/o waiting for updates and fixes.
Regards!

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 02:42

It appears that:
lua_api.txt wrote: -- preserve = {'group:bowl'}, -- Not implemented yet (TODO)

Thus, I will have to postpone the addition of groups in the crafting of stuff, which utilizes tools, because the tools can not yet be replaced/preserved.
I am planning on adding groups for recipes to be able to use any metal of a certain property. So Steel would be in group "metal_strong", Gold would be in groups "metal_weak" and "metal_conductive", Iridium would be in groups "metal_strong", "metal_shiny", and "metal_noncorrodible", et cetera. Recipes requiring a strong metal (like a metal scaffold or a rail) could use any metal in the group "metal_strong", and recipes requiring a corrosion-resistant metal (like the pipes of a bio-reactor) could use any metal in the group "metal_noncorrodible". So if you have a chest full of random strong metal ingots, you could make them into something useful. Or you could start using Bronze to make something that you once made of Steel.
This will not be used in tool recipes, for obvious reasons - it will only be used in recipes for stuff that wouldn't be un-crafted back into its constituent materials.
I also plan to add uses for stuff - Metal rods could be used to make a tool handle that, depending on the weight and strength of the metal used, can change the swinging speed or the durability of the tool significantly. Plates could be bent into pipes, that would have numerous uses in the transportation of fluids.
However, due to my tiredness and the nearing of April 20th, I will not be submitting a new version soon. Do not worry, though - there will be plenty of new features in the next update.

SegFault22

Re: [Mod] Components [0.8.2] [components]

by SegFault22 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 01:56

UPDATE!
Sorry, I was wrong. I have only added one new feature in this update.
But it's a good one: Aliases! Now, typing the name of any part or tool should be easier and quicker.
Hopefully, the next release will contain the promised multitude of new features.

Return to Mod Releases