[Mod] Glowing Crystals [0.8.2] [glowcrystals]

SegFault22

[Mod] Glowing Crystals [0.8.2] [glowcrystals]

by SegFault22 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 05:13

Are you annoyed by the indefinitely burning torches?
Ever consider how torches don't set your ceiling aflame?
Do you wish for an alternative?
Well, now there is an alternative:
Glowing Crystals!

This mod adds Glowing Crystals - gems that emit bright light, slightly more intense than fire. These can be found underground, in a 5,000-block-thick "belt" between Y-256 and Y-5256. They are common, but not everywhere. The ore block also glows, so finding is is slightly easier.

Currently, there is only one color of crystals, and that is yellow. But, in the future I will add more colors, with different rarities and such. White will be the rarest of all, and will occur deepest.

If colored light is ever added to Minetest, I will implement such for each of the crystal types.

Crafting is trivial, thus requires no images - for torches, just substitute coal with a glowing crystal, and for blocks, make them like any other blocks of metal/coal.

+ Screenshots

+ Downloads/Dependencies/Licenses

Feel free to post feedback, like ideas, questions, testimonials, rants, and such - all I request is that you be polite, and, well... you know the rest.
Last edited by SegFault22 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 01:42, edited 3 times in total.
Resources are abundant; only money is scarce. People should not have to work hard and remain poor just to pay for the needs of survival.
Society can thrive without money - but only if productive members of society are rewarded for being productive.

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sun Apr 13, 2014 07:02

A green download link, well hidden behind a spoiler? Uh..maybe gonna try that mod.

EDIT: found a (hidden) ".txt" file, but it tells me 404 not found ..huh? I'm confused now.
EDIT2:
"light_source = 22," doesn't make any difference to 15 or 16.
'craft "glowcrystals:glowcrystal"' can get shortened to "glowcrystals:glowcrystal"
Last edited by Krock on Sun Apr 13, 2014 07:05, edited 1 time in total.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sun Apr 13, 2014 19:38

SegFault22 wrote:Are you annoyed by the indefinitely burning torches?

No.

SegFault22 wrote:Ever consider how torches don't set your ceiling aflame?

Worried at the very beginning. Got very annoyed about fire after two of my houses burned down due to careless people who did not remove the fire mod.

SegFault22 wrote:Do you wish for an alternative?

Even though I answered no to the above questions, alternate, decorative light sources are always welcome. Some glowing blocks in a mine are also a good idea.
A list of my mods can be found here.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 19:42

Sokomine wrote:Even though I answered no to the above questions, alternate, decorative light sources are always welcome. Some glowing blocks in a mine are also a good idea.

Thank you for the feedback. Do you think I should add any other lights too, like panels?

Krock wrote:A green download link, well hidden behind a spoiler? Uh..maybe gonna try that mod.

EDIT: found a (hidden) ".txt" file, but it tells me 404 not found ..huh? I'm confused now.
EDIT2:
"light_source = 22," doesn't make any difference to 15 or 16.
'craft "glowcrystals:glowcrystal"' can get shortened to "glowcrystals:glowcrystal"

The spoiler is not for hiding such, but rather to prevent the post from being too tall, thus preventing scroll-wheel abuse.
The text file was the product of boredom and the sudden realization that tomorrow is Monday. No reason really.
As for the code improvements, thank you - I will change that in the next update.
Last edited by SegFault22 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
Resources are abundant; only money is scarce. People should not have to work hard and remain poor just to pay for the needs of survival.
Society can thrive without money - but only if productive members of society are rewarded for being productive.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sun Apr 13, 2014 20:15

SegFault22 wrote:Do you think I should add any other lights too, like panels?

Can't hurt to have some slim panels like the lights from homedecor. Perhaps you might also add one that's 1/3 in each dimension. Or plantlike drawtype and a chandelier with 4 lightblubs.
A list of my mods can be found here.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 21:00

Sokomine wrote:
SegFault22 wrote:Do you think I should add any other lights too, like panels?

Can't hurt to have some slim panels like the lights from homedecor. Perhaps you might also add one that's 1/3 in each dimension. Or plantlike drawtype and a chandelier with 4 lightblubs.

Okay, I'll schedule that for the future, after the code improvements and addition of more crystals.

UOAbigail

by UOAbigail » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:13

Greetings

I would love to install this mod... however, the host that the green link goes to has a couple of problems.

First problem is that it refuses to allow a download without signing up for their service. I do not wish to join their service.

Second problem, the button to downlowad it is smaller and hidden below a larger download button that is a redirect to some archiving app that could just as easily be a trojan or virus. (Not saying that it *is* one.. just that it could be one or could be one in the future)

I would ask that the file be hosted elsewhere, if possible... or uploaded here to the forum if that is acceptable.

I am only reporting this so that the original poster will be made aware of what the potential end user has to endure just so that they can download the mod.

In any case thank you for taking the time to read and consider this.

Peace
UOAbigail

*edit* Ok, I managed to get the file downloaded without having to sign up for their service.. so please disregard the first problem listed above.. (I clicked the big download button and cancelled the app download and somehow that bypassed the membership signup page.. just a fyi)
Last edited by UOAbigail on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:41

UOAbigail wrote:First problem is that it refuses to allow a download without signing up for their service. I do not wish to join their service.

Second problem, the button to downlowad it is smaller and hidden below a larger download button

What??
Okay I'm using an AD-blocker but that's easy to install.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Achilles

In-game: Achilles

by Achilles » Mon Apr 14, 2014 17:41

Nice... Are all the crystal ores found only in the air in mines or are some actually embedded in stone?
The Ironic Thing About Common Sense Is That It Isn't Very Common

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 05:29

Achilles wrote:Nice... Are all the crystal ores found only in the air in mines or are some actually embedded in stone?

They are all found embedded in stone. I just removed everything except the ore, with worldedit, for the screenshot. I should probably add another detailing their occurrence in a cave.

UOAbigail wrote:Greetings

I would love to install this mod... however, the host that the green link goes to has a couple of problems.

First problem is that it refuses to allow a download without signing up for their service. I do not wish to join their service.

Second problem, the button to downlowad it is smaller and hidden below a larger download button that is a redirect to some archiving app that could just as easily be a trojan or virus. (Not saying that it *is* one.. just that it could be one or could be one in the future)

I would ask that the file be hosted elsewhere, if possible... or uploaded here to the forum if that is acceptable.

I am only reporting this so that the original poster will be made aware of what the potential end user has to endure just so that they can download the mod.

In any case thank you for taking the time to read and consider this.

Peace
UOAbigail

*edit* Ok, I managed to get the file downloaded without having to sign up for their service.. so please disregard the first problem listed above.. (I clicked the big download button and cancelled the app download and somehow that bypassed the membership signup page.. just a fyi)

That's odd. Well, I guess I'll have to either upload the files here (later, it's 1:30 AM now), or host them on my server. Anyone know how to host them on my server?
Last edited by SegFault22 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 05:32, edited 1 time in total.

JPRuehmann

by JPRuehmann » Tue Apr 15, 2014 08:34

I had no Problems Downloading it.
And I am not a member.
Clicked on the Link, clicked on the Download Button and had it on my Disk.

Excalibur Zero

GitHub: ExcaliburZero

by Excalibur Zero » Tue Apr 15, 2014 13:23

SegFault22 wrote:That's odd. Well, I guess I'll have to either upload the files here (later, it's 1:30 AM now), or host them on my server. Anyone know how to host them on my server?

I'd reccomend posting the mod onto GitHub. That is what a lot of modders do.

Achilles

In-game: Achilles

by Achilles » Tue Apr 15, 2014 14:07

SegFault22 wrote:
Achilles wrote:Nice... Are all the crystal ores found only in the air in mines or are some actually embedded in stone?

They are all found embedded in stone. I just removed everything except the ore, with worldedit, for the screenshot. I should probably add another detailing their occurrence in a cave.

OK, Will wait for it before i try your mod out :)
The Ironic Thing About Common Sense Is That It Isn't Very Common

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 00:01

Okay, I'm moving this to Google Drive. I will update the mod with more stuff later today or tomorrow.

Mikerhinos

by Mikerhinos » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:53

Sokomine wrote:Even though I answered no to the above questions, alternate, decorative light sources are always welcome. Some glowing blocks in a mine are also a good idea.

Paramat added glowing blocks in fissures which can be mined and transformerd into lights when added some glass last week in his watershed mod (https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?pid=136928#p136928) ;)

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 22:14

Mikerhinos wrote:

Paramat added glowing blocks in fissures which can be mined and transformerd into lights when added some glass last week in his watershed mod (https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?pid=136928#p136928) ;)

Read the initial post (this thread), please.

SegFault22

Re: [Mod] Glowing Crystals [0.8.2] [glowcrystals]

by SegFault22 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 01:44

Update
+Added aliases:
"glowcrystal" for "glowcrystals:glowcrystal"
"glowcrystal_ore" for "glowcrystals:glowcrystal_ore"
"glowcrystal_torch" for "glowcrystals:glowcrystal_torch"
*Changed light values: Ores glow less brightly, and both torches and the glowcrystal block emit light at level 14

Return to Mod Releases