[Mod] Protector Redo [2.0] [protector]

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

Re: [Mod] Protector Redo [1.0] [protector]

by TenPlus1 » Wed May 27, 2015 14:59

Update to 1.0 - Only owner can remove protectors...

deadmenracing

by deadmenracing » Sat Jun 06, 2015 16:16

Excellent mod, thank you! Is there an easy way (I'm not a programmer) to limit the number of protection blocks a player can put down? I'm seeing it overused a bit.

amadin

GitHub: Amadin

by amadin » Mon Jul 20, 2015 08:29

TenPlus1, do you can add turn-off (exclusion) protection for bones (bones:bones)? Because if player died at another's protection area he can't destroy his bones block and other players can't take his bones.

amadin

by amadin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 18:28

And second question. If i have gold pick i can go through protected walls because protected blocks slow back to it's place. Can i reduce time back to place of protected blocks?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 19:00

If digging protected areas are slow to return then lagg is to blame for that, the more lagg the longer the wait...

amadin

by amadin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 04:53

TenPlus1 wrote:If digging protected areas are slow to return then lagg is to blame for that, the more lagg the longer the wait...

There is no lags - i can walk through walls on all servers, for example on Xanadu or on my local server. All players can do this but they don't know about this. I can record video for you.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 19:43

I ran a test on my standalone server and the block re-appearing is fast enough to keep players out, although this all depends on lag time on server side as well as client side... I will however try to optimize the code so that it appears faster...

amadin

by amadin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 04:53

Try to make as on the video, if you will use a diamond pick and diamond axe it will be easy. But i can't go through still walls and obsidian walls (so i think it's not network lag). http://www.filedropper.com/throughwall It is local server on my pc.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 07:28

Ok, if this is in singleplayer mode then check your privs, you will have 'delprotect' priv which means you can bypass protection blocks... you cannot turn this OFF on standalone, it's always on unless you make a standalone server and connect via a separate minetest client to become a normal player...

amadin

by amadin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:46

TenPlus1 wrote:Ok, if this is in singleplayer mode then check your privs, you will have 'delprotect' priv which means you can bypass protection blocks... you cannot turn this OFF on standalone, it's always on unless you make a standalone server and connect via a separate minetest client to become a normal player...

It's multiplayer dedicated server mode - old copy of my [RU] Russian Ama server running on my pc. /privs interact shout spawn. I see how to do it players on other servers, on my server pvp is turn on, and player can't close by the killer in the house because killer (if he know about this) go through wall and kill. This is video from Xanadu on yellow spawn i recorded 10 minutes ago, you can take diamond pick or axe, go on wood or stone roof and repeat fall through. http://www.filedropper.com/xanadu

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:07

amadin: what you show in your videos is normal protector behaviour, if you have delprotect you can remove blocks completely, if you dont then they will re-appear, sometimes slowly because of lag (even on standalone)...

Which other servers did you state had this problem ? I will sign on and check each one...

amadin

by amadin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:00

sometimes slowly because of lag (even on standalone)...

Not sometimes - always, even on local server, i tested with "protector", "protectod redo" and "protector" from lag01. But on mineCraft server i can't do that, because blocks re-appear very fast, and i can't go to indoor home and kill hiding there player, but in mineTest i can. I can do this an all top10 minetest servers, i can do that always ever since i started to play. It's not network lags because i can't go through obsidian walls but can througt stone, wood, glass etc.
Last edited by amadin on Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:06

with the latest build of minetest, I seem to be experiencing lag in single player. Very odd...

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:54

amadin: it all depends on which version of minetest the servers are running and which mods they use...

also, protector redo works fine for players even if their bones are in a protected area owned by someone else, you PUNCH the bones to get your stuff bag, not dig, so it works fine, although if someone else is trying to take items from old bones that aren't theirs then protection will come into effect, as it should...

kilarin: glad it's not just me, the game does seem to be getting slow in areas...

amadin

by amadin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 14:01

Many empty bones (without items) litter the spawn and do not vanish if all of them pull out, but i want to hide empty bones and not hide bones with items.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 14:05

and who owns spawn area ? they should be on server cleaning up errant blocks and keeping an eye on the server ?

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 14:10

TenPlus1 wrote:game does seem to be getting slow in areas...

And not just slow, I mean removing blocks, then seeming them pop back into existence a few seconds later, then finally remove again. Like I was playing on a server and there was a lot of lag. VERY odd things going on with these last few weeks builds.

amadin

by amadin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 14:16

TenPlus1 wrote:and who owns spawn area ? they should be on server cleaning up errant blocks and keeping an eye on the server ?

Are you laugh, does somebody should round the clock in the game and remove the bones at a time?
deleted
I mean about dig bones with left mouse button on protected area - now they diggable only for area owner. They block exits from spawn, because only owners of protected area can dig bones on it.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 15:28

Then it's up to the bones mod to allow players to take items from old bones, even inside protected areas, then when empty drop the bones as an item... This is the reason I done away with bones mod on Xanadu and have players drop items instead...

amadin

by amadin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 15:29

So does if bone on protected area can't dig it is trouble of bones mod?
But i see in lag01 protector mod this:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
local old_node_dig = minetest.node_dig
function minetest.node_dig(pos, node, digger)
   local ok=true
   if node.name == "bones:bones" then
      ok=true
   else
      if node.name ~= protector.node then
         ok = protector.can_dig(3,pos,digger)
      else
         ok = protector.can_dig(3,pos,digger,true)
      end
   end
   if ok == true then
      old_node_dig(pos, node, digger)
   end
end

Does this can help for you mod?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 17:42

OK, so we can end this drawn out conversation I am NOT changing Protection Redo so that bones will be unprotected for players to simply take from a protected area... People do use them for decoration in their builds and it wouldn't be fair to them if someone came up and simply removed their bone nodes...

Speak to minetest devs about changing bones mod so that after a while of being OLD bones, it will drop it's contents onto the floor with the bones itself for other players to pick up... Self tidying :)

Fixerol

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixerol » Fri Aug 07, 2015 22:27

Hi, will make quote of my post:
could you please fix that protector bug where you can place cactus, wood, trunks, sand, gravel, dirt and possibly other blocks in protected areas? I already see it on your server.

People got so much pain with protectors, there is a list of blocks that you can place on another people territory and only them will be able to remove them, as time goes on, map turns into mess :) Have not heard about this?

TenPlus1

Re: [Mod] Protector Redo [1.1] [protector]

by TenPlus1 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 07:56

Version 1.1 just released with a new feature inspired by denaid, a protector_pvp switch added to minetest.conf and set to true stops other players from hurting you inside of your own protected areas, giving players a safe zone from pvp.

Addition: also added protector_pvp_spawn to set radius around spawn area to disable pvp for new starts...

maikerumine

GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

Re: [Mod] Protector Redo [1.1] [protector]

by maikerumine » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:59

TenPlus1 wrote:Version 1.1 just released with a new feature inspired by denaid, a protector_pvp switch added to minetest.conf and set to true stops other players from hurting you inside of your own protected areas, giving players a safe zone from pvp.

Addition: also added protector_pvp_spawn to set radius around spawn area to disable pvp for new starts...

Awesome. I have been wanting this for a while!

TenPlus1

Re: [Mod] Protector Redo [1.2] [protector]

by TenPlus1 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:09

Added shift and click support for Minetest 0.4.13 to quickly copy stacks to and from protected chest...

maikerumine

GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Wed Oct 07, 2015 15:31

Ten,

is it possible for someone to bypass protection with server lag and or a stronger pickaxe?

Today on my server I witnessed with my own eyes two griefers mining away in a clearly protected area, stealing the blocks in the protected zone.

please advise.
EDIT:

please disregard, I accidentally gave a privilege to an unauthorized user.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 07:24

Eek, gotta protect that 'delprotect' priv.

Ferk

GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Thu Oct 08, 2015 08:14

Nice improvements, Tenplus1.

The other day I was thinking that an area protection mod would be useful not only for multiplayer servers were you want to protect something, but also for challenge/adventure maps if there was a way lock all protected areas even for singleplayer.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a "protector_lock_all" minetest.conf option that protects the areas from absolutely all players (including the owner and those with delprotect).

This way the map creator can just change stuff in singleplayer even while protecting it but whenever he feels the map is ready for shipping, he toggles the flag in minetest.conf and nobody that plays his map will be able to destroy blocks in the areas that were protected.

Or maybe you can think of some other way.
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 09:22

Ferk: Personally I wouldn't give anyone the 'delprotect' privelage apart from the most trusted of admin, so the map in question would be safe anyhoo. Anyone else who needs access to an area can have their names added to the protection blocks.
Last edited by TenPlus1 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

Ferk

GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Thu Oct 08, 2015 09:29

TenPlus1 wrote:Personally I wouldn't give anyone the 'delprotect' privelage apart from the most trusted of admin, so the map in question would be safe anyhoo. Anyone else who needs access to an area can have their names added to the protection blocks.

Was that an answer to me? Sorry if it wasn't, I'm a bit confused.

Singleplayer has by default all the priviledges (except for fly, noclip and fast), you can't even revoke delprotect from singleplayer (the engine seems to be inflexible here). Also, the point of my suggestion is to allow people to just make a singleplayer game, protect it and then lock it. Otherwise they would have to create a multiplayer server every time they want to edit the world just so that they can register a different player name as the owner of the protected areas (and this still wouldn't work because singleplayer has delprotect).
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Releases