[Mod] Pedology [3.1] [pedology]

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

[Mod] Pedology [3.1] [pedology]

by Wuzzy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 01:59

Overview
Hi, I plan a rather large mod (I guess) which focuses on earth and the ground. This means a lot of earth blocks will be added including a bit of interaction between them. The main reason for this is because I think default dirt etc. alone gets boring very quickly. =)
For Minetest version 0.4.9 or later.
License of everything: WTFPL
Dependencies: None!
Optional dependency: Internationalization Library [intllib]
Download version 3.1: download/file.php?mode=view&id=7979

Links for developers and interested users:
Project page: http://repo.or.cz/w/minetest_pedology.git

Long description

Concepts and ideas of this planned mod:
  • Provide a basis for other mods to build upon. This is not intended to be a standalone mod, except as sandbox mod maybe.
  • Introduce a lot of new ground blocks and replace the boring default ones: Clay, silt, sand, gravel, turf, snow and ice, most of them in several density levels, allowing for more variety.
  • Solid ground block can become wet and transfer the wetness to other blocks.
  • By default, most blocks do not drop themselves when mined, instead they give you lumps or pieces or whatever; possibly enabling more interesting crafting recipes.

For version 1, proper wetness and 10 basic ground blocks in several wetness levels are planned. They are, sorted by density/corn size:
  • clay (5)
  • fine silt (5)
  • medium silt (4)
  • coarse silt (3)
  • fine sand (2)
  • medium sand (1)
  • coarse sand (0)
  • fine gravel (1)
  • medium gravel (2)
  • coarse gravel (2)
They differ in the speed they let water pass through. Dense blocks let water pass very slowly, but coarse blocks let water through more quickly. The number in brackets shows the maximum wetness level.

Here is how the wetness is planned: Every ground block has a level of wetness from 0 to 5 (0=dry). Over time, they can slowly suck water from surrounding water blocks and can ooze water to other blocks. The wetness is preferably given to blocks below. If this is not possible, the wetness goes to the sides. Otherwise, the wetness level stays. Over time, wet blocks on the surface my dry out on their own.
It was also intended that wetness levels 4 and 5 are for mud, but I guess this idea has to wait a bit.

One important part of the wetness code has been implemented already, but it is not done. What is also missing for verision 1 are proper textures for all ground blocks for all wetness levels. But some are done already, see this screenshot:
URL: https://i.imgur.com/Vv7c35M.png
The gray blocks are 3 kinds of gravel, the darker ones in the front are actually wet. The light brown/red ones are clay. The brown ones in the background are dry silt. And the yellow blocks are of course sand. The grass is actually from minetest_game, ignore it. You also see transparent nodes. This is mud, but for now I have temprarily disabled it.

To test this, play this mod in creative mode. But remember, some textures are missing. The water is also very buggy, ignore it for now.

Long term plans

For version 2 planned are 3 types of turf:
  • fibric turf (2)
  • hemic turf (2)
  • sapric turf (2)
These blocks dry off very slowly and easily become wet. However, if they are finally dry, they are flammable!

For version 3, a variety of snow and ice blocks is planned as well, sorted by density:
  • slush (wet snow)
  • very soft snow
  • soft snow
  • snow
  • packing snow
  • firn
  • white ice (opaque)
  • pure ice (transparent)
Snow is intended to be rather soft, but ice should be very hard.

If possible, two special blocks are planned:
Snow cornice: breaks into pieces when something steps on it. Variant of snow.
Quicksand (=watery fine sand).
However, it is unsure if these ideas are even possible with the engine.

Further long-term goals of this mod:
  • Provide a solid framework for other mods to build upon
  • Introduce a great variety of ground blocks, replacing the boring default ones
  • Introduce turf
  • Introduce snow and ice variety
  • Introduce thin air and vacuum (done, but experimental!)
  • Create individual images for each block and wetness
  • Create individual sounds for each block and wetness
  • Introduce the concept of “wet” blocks.
    • Blocks can be wet
    • Wetness wanders from block to block (oozing) (done!)
    • Water blocks wetten ground blocks very slowly (sucking)
    • Very wet blocks can be eroded when surrounded by a lot of water (erosion)
  • Get rid of the dependency on the default mod. (done! It actually never depended on default. Silly me!)
  • Questionable goal: Introduce quicksand and snow cornice.

Possible purposes of this mod:
  • The variety of blocks can be the basis for great map generators
  • The several kinds of ground blocks may be a good foundation for complex vegetation systems.
  • The wetness system can be the foundation for more complex farming mods.
  • The vacuum and thin air may be used by space mods.

Non-goals for this mod:
  • To create a fully standalone mod (It is intended for other mods to build upon)
  • New stone types (maybe I’ll do it in another mod!)
  • Map generation
  • New ores

New ideas are welcome if they fit somehow to the spirit of this mod. I am likely to throw away existing concepts if they turn out to be flawed; I am half in the implementation, half in the planning phase. :=)
Attachments
pedology3.1.zip
(766.12 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Last edited by Wuzzy on Sun Nov 13, 2016 17:17, edited 14 times in total.

Vazon

IRC: Vazon
In-game: Vazon

Re: [Mod] Geology v0.1 [geology] (Draft/Work in Progress)

by Vazon » Mon Jun 02, 2014 02:32

Looks very interesting, and very promising. :D Tho could you add it to github, i cant download it to test.

Sokomine

Re: [Mod] Geology v0.1 [geology] (Draft/Work in Progress)

by Sokomine » Mon Jun 02, 2014 21:53

Sounds very intresting! The mod darkage already adds diffrent types of stones. It comes with mud and slit. Perhaps you can cooperate? It remains to be seen how performance and playability will work out. Perhaps a slightly less realistic version might be best for gameplay.

Wuzzy

Re: [Mod] Geology v0.2 [geology] (Draft/Work in Progress)

by Wuzzy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 23:19

I released v0.2!
You find it in the attachment of the 1st post.
Briefly, all ground blocks now have textures and I also added some basic footstep sounds for all of them.

I finally created textures for all ground blocks in all wetness levels. However, I plan to update these because I am not happy with every texture yet. Especially the fine sand and medium sand needs attention.
My favourite texture is that of the coarse silt:

Here is the overview of all ground blocks in wetness levels 0-2:
From left to right: Coarse gravel, medium gravel, fine gravel, coarse sand, medium sand, fine sand, coarse silt, medium silt, fine silt, clay. From up to down: Wetness levels 0, 1, 2.

You also see the default dirt with grass. Just ignore it, the mod itself does not interact with this node.

By the way, I noticed this mod never depended on anything to begin with. Silly me!

For version 1.0 the wetness code is still not finished. What’s missing is drying out and “sucking” from neighbor water blocks. What’s working is the “oozing” of wetness towards neighbor blocks which are “dryer” than oneself. To try it, just place a couple of dry blocks on the bottom and place some slightly wetter blocks above that.

Answers to your comments:
Maybe I create a git repository, I am not sure yet. But not on GitHub, I hate GitHub!

I do not aim to cooperate with the DarkAge mod makers. This mod is certainly interesting, but it does not share the goals of the geology mod. So I think a cooperatoin does not make much sense. First, it depends on default, which is a no-go for me. This means all the default generic blocks are kept; there is the generic stone although there are basalt, gneiss, etc. I rather start from scratch in order to avoid carrying along unneeded blocks. It also appears to me the new stones are just treated like slightly more common ordinary ores. Also I want the stones mod (when I start one) to be clean of any dependencies so it can be used as a basis for other, “real” mods. I rather want to have the new stones in a seperate mod instead of bundling it with a bunch of unrelated stuff. However, I may very well rip off some or all of the textures of the stones from the DarkAge mod. :=)

I do not aim for realism with this mod. I aim for greater variety and a basis for other mods to build upon. But admittedly the blocks themselves are inspired by the real world, of course. Also, saying “a less realistic version of this mod” is not a very helpful comment to me. I don’t know what you are exactly suggesting. ;)

Topywo

by Topywo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 09:08

I like the idea of this mod.

I look forward to see how you handle the generation and changing states of the blocks and what can be done with the new blocks and hope you'll manage to get the textures right.

Wuzzy

Roadmap

by Wuzzy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 14:18

Here’s a rough roadmap I have for this mod:

• v1.0 (done!)
    • 10 types of ground blocks (done!)
    • Proper textures for the ground blocks (done!)
    • at least 4 different sound effect types for footsteps (done!)
    • wetness (done!)
      • wet blocks ooze over time (done!)
      • different oozing times, dependent on density (done!)
      • suck water from neighbor water blocks (done!)
      • dry off in sun light (done!)
    • provide basic “API” functions so this mod becomes usable for other modders (done!)
    • write first parts of the documentation (done!)
    • introduction of a Git repository (done!)
  • v2.0 (done!)
    • 3 turf blocks (done!)
    • Good turf textures (done!)
    • Make dry turf a furnace fuel—somehow … (done!)
    • at least 1 footstep sound for turf (done!)
    • earth lumps and special block drops
    • maybe: make dry turf flammable (done!)
  • v3.0 (released!)
    • around 6 snow blocks (done!)
    • at least 2 ice blocks (done!)
    • at least 1 footstep sound effect for snow (done!)
    • at least 1 footstep sound effect for ice (done!)
    • snow balls and ice cubes (snow’s and ice’s version of lumps) (done!)
  • v4.0
    • working liquids
    • waters
      • freshwater
      • ponding water
      • saltwater
    • mud (by replacing the very wet ground blocks with vicious liquids)
    • fix water drips performance problem (probably by using Minetest’s particle spawners?)
  • v5.0
    • “special” blocks
      • quicksand (if possible)
      • snow cornice (breaks if stepped upon) (if possible)
    • maybe throwable snowballs
    • rework node groups or even invent new ones
    • rework stack limits (stack limit of 99 for everything is boooring!)
    • balancing
    • code cleanup
    • bugfixes
    • finish missing documentation
    • implement stuff I skipped in previous versions

After version 1.0, the most basic part of the mod will have been done and should be directly usable. But I aim to continue the work by building incrementally upon it.
Let’s see how far I actually come. ;-)

I try to update this roadmap occacionally and may change this or that.

PS: Thanks for the positive feedback so far. =)
Last edited by Wuzzy on Wed Jun 25, 2014 22:49, edited 15 times in total.

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Tue Jun 03, 2014 14:53

Can the destruction of nodes in this mod be toggled on and off for the sake of creative servers?

Vazon

by Vazon » Tue Jun 03, 2014 17:15

I have been testing it, and the lava and water dont seem to have flowing textures yet, but everything is looking amazing! I am thinking of adding it to my server (Minerealms) it would add to the building aspect of my server.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 17:37

@Inocudom: No. But I take this as an idea for something to add later.

@Vazon: Yeah, lava and water is experimental now and will be properly added much later. See roadmap. If you want to add it to your server be aware I will probably be pretty aggressive with compatibility-breaking changes, especially before v1.0.

Vazon

by Vazon » Tue Jun 03, 2014 17:51

Wuzzy wrote:@Inocudom: No. But I take this as an idea for something to add later.

@Vazon: Yeah, lava and water is experimental now and will be properly added much later. See roadmap. If you want to add it to your server be aware I will probably be pretty aggressive with compatibility-breaking changes, especially before v1.0.

That is fine, if it involves mapgen, I will just turn the mapgen on and off as it is need as i do with the snow mod and plantlib incompatiblity. Other wise atm everything works fine

Wuzzy

Re: [Mod] Geology v0.3 [geology] (Work in Progress)

by Wuzzy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 16:50

Version 0.3 is here! You find the file in the attachment of the 1st post.
I think I have finished the wetness stuff. I hope it is not too buggy. ^_°
Now wet blocks can suck their wetness from neighbor water blocks. Here’s an image of this in action:
The wet blocks have been made wet by the water. I started with dry blocks.

Wet blocks may also slowly dry off in the sunlight.

Also the ground blocks differ in their oozing times. Clay takes a long time to ooze wetness off: 60 seconds, and there is also a chance it does not ooze when the timer hits. Coarse gravel, on the other hand, oozes with a 100% chance every second. The other materials are somewhere in-between.

I think it may be neccessary to play around with the timing a bit for gameplay and balancing reasons. I’d like to hear your feedback.

I also have written the first parts of a documentation in Markdown: README.md. Don’t worry, you can view it with an ordinary text editor. It is currently primarily aimed to mod developers. But I plan to continue this documentation over the evolution of this mod.

4aiman

Re: [Mod] Geology [0.3] [geology] (Work in Progress)

by 4aiman » Thu Jun 05, 2014 16:09

Superb.

Just one question: could it be done that ANY type of soil would become wet if there's a liquid?
What I mean is usage of minetest.registered_nodes to create sand's wet counterparts basing on sand's def table and dirt's wet counterpart on dirt's definition.
What for: support for more than one type of dirt, for example those from "ethereal" or "mg" or any other mod that registers new crumbly nodes.

Of course it's responsibility of those mapgen authors to change their code (to add some new group to a definitions of nodes).

In other words: do you plan to add support/api for other mods (especially mapgens) to use?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 21:21

Yes, I certainly plan to provide some kind of API and also want to document it of course. This mod is explicitly planned as a mod intended as a building block for other mods to build upon.

Adding new nodes in a new mod should be already possible. At the moment, I use the function geology.register_crumbly_group to register a node along with its wet counterparts and other information (like flow speed). Read the source code, there’s a comment which explains the function. However, I may change this function, because “crumbly” does not sound very generic to me. ;-)
To add a new node along with wet counterparts, you would have to call this function and also need to provide textures for each wetness level. Sounds are optional but encouraged. And that’s it!
However, this must be done for every node explicitly. This is because I want to encourage to use different oozing/flowing times for nodes.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 17:09

I think that per-node timings are the best for a mod like this.
Also it'll be easy to get already defined nodes and process those, so I don't think anyone would complain about that.
Thanks, Wuzzy!

Wuzzy

Re: [Mod] Geology [0.4] [geology] (Work in Progress)

by Wuzzy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:05

Version 0.4 is there!
Changes:
  • Better gravel and sand textures
  • Added new footstep sound effects for sand and clay.
  • Assigned the nodes proper groups (crumbly and sand). Basically just for compatility with minetest_game, also because these groups are common. I am not sure if I am happy with these groups, especially just 3 group levels are just not enough. I am writing “rework node groups” to the todo list.
  • API: There is now generic function to register a whole bunch of nodes for which the concept of wetness applies with their textures and sounds and other stuff which is relevant (in several wetness levels) at once. It is called “geology.register_sucky_group”. I think this function is now ready to be used by other mods. :-)
  • Documentation for said function (see README.md)

If you look on my todo list, you notice the only step which is left until I declare v1.0 is to make a Git reopsitory. But before I do that, I want to have some feedback from you. Especially:
  • How do you like the current textures? (also consider the wet textures)
  • Are you happy with the sounds?
  • What else do you have say?

Screenshot of reworked textures:
Full size
From left to right: dry coarse gravel, dry medium gravel, dry fine gravel, dry coarse sand, dry medium sand, dry fine sand, dry coarse silt, medium coarse silt, dry fine silt, dry clay. Please compare this image with the one I posted previously.

As usual, the download link is in the attachment of the 1st post.
Last edited by Wuzzy on Sun Jun 08, 2014 09:11, edited 1 time in total.

spootonium

by spootonium » Sun Jun 08, 2014 08:38

How about differentiating the rocks themselves a little, as in:
  • origin (e.g. igneous, metamorphic, sedimentary)
  • chemistry (e.g. mafic <---> felsic)
I write code. Sometimes, it even works.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 09:11

This mod is not about rocks. However, I am planning to do another mod about rocks later on.

spootonium

by spootonium » Sun Jun 08, 2014 09:29

Wuzzy wrote:This mod is not about rocks. (...)

Am I to understand, then, that this mod is concerned only with surface nodes? If that is the case, "geology" might be a confusing name.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:09

Well, you are right. “Geology” is a completely misleading name. Actually, the planned mod about stones should be called “geology”. I will rename this mod to “Pedology” in the next version. ;-)

BTW: You really should read the 1st post before asking questions, because you obviously didn’t read it. :P

Wuzzy

Pedology v1.0 released

by Wuzzy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 15:19

The mod is now called “Pedology” instead of “Geology” by me.

Okay, I finally created a Git repository now!
The clonable URL is:
git://repo.or.cz/minetest_pedology.git
There is also a project page where you can view the commits with you browser:
http://repo.or.cz/w/minetest_pedology.git
(currently there is only the 1st commit of course …)

Along with it, I release version 1.0. I already started working on new features!

• The mod has been renamed to “Pedology” ([pedology]). Pedology is the “soil science”.
  • There is now a basic settings file to easily flip parameters around. See the file “settings.lua”.
  • Turf is introduced. Turf oozes in 2 to 4 minutes (much slower than clay) and it never dries in the sun. Turf is still incomplete and subject to change.
  • There are basic textures for turf. Not perfect yet, I’ll work on it.
  • Dry turf is flammable (in theory, you need a mod which uses the group “flammable”, for example the fire mod from minetest_game).
  • Experimental surprise feature: Water drips! Wet floors which are above air randomly generate water drips which fall after a random time below them. They also make a dripping sound when they hit the ground. This is currently only for flavor and has no gameplay effect. This feature is based on the mod “Dripping Water & Lava” (URL: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=1688). This feature is experimental and not activated by default (edit settings.lua to change that). With large amounts of wet blocks, there are performance problems with it.

Screenshot of the turf:
Left to right: fibric turf, hemic turf, sapric turf.
Top to down: Watery, wet, dry.

See the dry turf burn:

You can download the Zip file as always from the 1st posting. :)

This is version 1.0, but work on this mod will (I hope) continue. From now on, I hope to push to that repository and you can use that if you really want to have the bleeding edge stuff …

Topywo

Re: [Mod] Pedology [1.0] [pedology]

by Topywo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 17:24

First link doesn't work, second does. To download, click tar.gz or zip next to snapshot.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 18:09

Just to clarify: The link I posted are Git repositories. Git repo URLs are intended for Git, not for your browser.

Download the Zip in 1st post or here:
http://repo.or.cz/w/minetest_pedology.g ... fa8899.zip
(rename folder to “pedology”)

spootonium

by spootonium » Wed Jun 11, 2014 04:49

May I suggest the inclusion of fluid / flowing mud, sand and gravel? By that, I mean blocks that when unsupported change their behavior to drawtype = "flowingliquid" and/or liquidtype = "flowing", so that they spread and re-settle.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 23:10

Hmm, I am not sure about it. For gravel certainly no, for sand maybe and for silt and clay also maybe. I have to test how well this actually works out. I keep this in mind and postpone this to v4.0.

Wuzzy

Re: [Mod] Pedology [1.1] [pedology]

by Wuzzy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 17:19

Okay, here’s a quick notice about version 1.1. Not much changed. Basically I changed the drops of the silt, the turf and the gravel.
The don’t drop themselves anymore, instead they drop lumps or stones. And that’s basically it. :)

Currently, all lumps are dry, no matter what you mined. This is bad for gameplay reasons. That would mean you could mine wet turf and immediately get dry turf from it “for free”. I hope to change that for the v2.0 release.
And the sand still drops themselves, but I don’t feel happy with adding “sand lumps” ;-)

I just had an idea for v5.0; maybe I add new digging time groups for the ground nodes. For example, you would need special tools to dig the turf efficiently. Shovel would work work somehow, too, but not as efficient.

Grab the version here: http://repo.or.cz/w/minetest_pedology.g ... b431d8.zip
Rename the folder in it to “pedology”, put in mods folder.

Wuzzy

1.2 released!

by Wuzzy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 04:30

Version 1.2 is there; this is the lumps and snow update!

New snow and ice blocks:
From left to right:
Slush (wet snow), soft snow, snow, packing snow, white ice, pure ice.

Note that pure ice is semitransparent, while white ice is opaque. Pure ice is considered to be harder (and probably rarer) than white ice. This could make for interesting ice caves. :)

It is planned that the slush is unstable in real gameplay. I plan to destroy slush as soon as something collides with it. I also plan to add more special behaviours to the soft snow. As I said, I’ll postpone most gameplay-related stuff to version 5.0.

Maybe I’ll add up to 2 more snow types; I am not sure yet.

The snow and ice also comes with some different footstep sounds.

And the lumps now support the wetness levels, too. Sadly, there are still no sand “lump” (or something) like that. I have to think of something good.
Inventory images of lumps:
I already explained lumps in my previous post.
The 3 funny-looking rectangles are stones, you get them when you mine gravel. Stones are special; they are no wet counterparts of them, you always get dry stones.

The number of dots for each lump image indicates the wetness level. Annoyingly, the dots appear also in the image of the dropped item. It seems I can’t do much about that. :/

Grab v1.2 here: http://repo.or.cz/w/minetest_pedology.g ... b0949d.zip (Rename the folder in it to “pedology”, put in mods folder.)

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: [Mod] Pedology [1.2] [pedology]

by Krock » Sun Jun 15, 2014 06:25

Those stones are very interesting - they could be used as replacement to the current stone.
Maybe I add them to my mapgen later.
Everything seems to be WTFPL, so it's allowed to copy those textures :)
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

by philipbenr » Sun Jun 15, 2014 08:55

This mod is very extensive and promising, Wuzzy. I like it, and can't wait for the completed version.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:34

Some notes for people who code map generators: I recommend to always put dryer nodes above wetter nodes. Only the direct lower 8 neighbors for a node are relevant, so you have to consider the nodes which touch the lower corners and edges, too. That way, right after chunk generation there would be no need for oozing and thus saves a bunch of ABM calls. It is OK to make an entire soil layer of wet nodes (maybe for muddy/swampy regions), as long as there are no dryer nodes below them. There may be an exception for nodes with very long oozing times (fine silt, clay, turf), it would have to be tested how that would work out.
And keep in mind this mod is still in ongoing development, so things change. :P

It is a similar reason why smart map generators should not place default gravel above air. ;-)

lunisol

by lunisol » Wed Jun 18, 2014 08:18

Couldn't you easily make quicksand by basically copying water and giving it a sand texture?

Next

Return to Mod Releases