[Mod] Castles++ Rolling release [git] [castle]

addi

Re: [Mod] Castles++ Rolling release [0.4.9] [castle]

by addi » Wed Sep 14, 2016 13:28

Hi,
me again with another request:
could you make the crossbow compatible with mobs and animals from Mobs redo? It seems the crosbow does not cause damage to them.
Thanks.

Napiophelios

GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Thu Sep 15, 2016 06:29

mobs' names are different now, see if editing the crossbow lua file will help
haven't tried it yet so I don't know if this will fix it.
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
CROSSBOW_ENTITIES = {
"mobs_animal:chicken",
"mobs_animal:cow",
"mobs_animal:rat",
"mobs_animal:sheep",
"mobs_animal:warthog",
"mobs_animal:bee",
"mobs_animal:bunny",
"mobs_animal:kitten",
"mobs_bat:bat",
"mobs_birds:gull",
"mobs_birds:bird_lg",
"mobs_birds:bird_sm",
"mobs_butterfly:butterfly",
"mobs_crocs:crocodile",
"mobs_crocs:crocodile_float",
"mobs_crocs:crocodile_swim",
"mobs_fish:clownfish",
"mobs_fish:tropical",
"mobs_jellyfish:jellyfish",
"mobs_monster:dirt_monster",
"mobs_monster:dungeon_master",
"mobs_monster:oerkki",
"mobs_monster:sand_monster",
"mobs_monster:stone_monster",
"mobs_monster:tree_monster",
"mobs_monster:lava_flan",
"mobs_monster:mese_monster",
"mobs_monster:spider",
"mobs_sharks:shark_lg",
"mobs_sharks:shark_md",
"mobs_sharks:shark_sm",
"mobs_turtles:turtle",
"mobs_turtles:seaturtle",
"mr_goat:goat",
"zombie:zombie",
}

addi

by addi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 08:16

yes that would fix it thanks. But wouldn't it be simpler to only disallow a few (probably only _builtin_item) and allow everything else?

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:02

For Mobs Redo I check for "__builtin:item", "__builtin:falling_node", "gauges:hp_bar", "signs:text", "itemframes:item" and everything else gets blasted :)

Merak

IRC: Merak

by Merak » Fri Nov 18, 2016 23:49

The rope box is so powerful that it should cost more. I suggest making a rope coil which costs 9 rope and then have the rope box cost some number of them. I would even pay 8 rope coils, that is 216 cotton for a rope box. I would find a recipe of wood in some arrangement and 2 rope coils to be quite reasonable.

Merak

IRC: Merak

Rope box leaves rope

by Merak » Sat Nov 19, 2016 15:01

There is a problem with rope box. When a rope box is removed, only an upper part of the attached rope is removed. The lower part remains. Perhaps this is related to active_block_range ?

addi

by addi » Thu Jan 12, 2017 13:55

There is also a craft recipe conflict with xdecor.
xdecor:rope is crafted out of 3 farming:cotton
and castle:ropes is using the same recipe

I does not care if this gets resolved in this mod or in the xdecor mod. Please report it there if you not want to fix it. thanks

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Tue Feb 14, 2017 23:01

A few days ago, I pushed an update to convert the tapestries in this fork of the mod to use param2-based coloring. You'll need the latest git of Unified Dyes and a Minetest engine development build newer than 2017-01-23 to use the update (0.4.15-stable will not work). This change and dependency doesn't affect Dan's old fork, nor Philipbenr's original.

If you need a version that works on 0.4.15-stable, get this ZIP file (no hardware coloring support)
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

FaceDeer

Re: [Mod] Castles++ Rolling release [git] [castle]

by FaceDeer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 17:50

About a month back I noticed that this castle mod had a very old version of the rope mod embedded within it. I did a lot of work making a rope mod that solved many problems the older versions had and I wanted to push an update into castle as well, but the monolithic nature of the castle mod made that difficult. So I started working on breaking up [castle] into a bunch of smaller independent pieces and turning it into a modpack whose parts could be updated independently.

It turned out to be a major operation because I just can't leave well enough alone. :) I've finished the project and in the process I added new features and upgrades to almost every part of Castle. You can get a pre-packaged version of the modpack from my github fork; I expect a pre-packaged version will be available at the minetest-mods source soon.

The component mods are:

Anvil

+ Spoiler

The anvil that was included in the Castle mod previously was just a decorative block. For this version, I started with the anvil from the Cottages mod as a base. This mod allows you to repair worn-out tools on the anvil by using a hammer. Right-click on the anvil with your worn out tool and the tool will be placed on it; strike the anvil with the hammer to repair the tool, and then retrieve the tool by either punching or right-clicking the anvil with an empty hand. If you're familiar with the cottages anvil this version has done away with the formspec interface, instead displaying the workpiece as an entity similar to how itemframes does it.

Castle Farming

+ Spoiler

Castle included hide wall coverings and bound straw bales, and those were both farming products so I put them in here. While I was at it I added a straw "training dummy" you can build out of sticks and straw bales. Seemed like a useful decoration to add to archery ranges, or possibly to put on your battlements to make your castle look more heavily manned than it actually is (a classic ruse).

Castle Gates

+ Spoiler

I started by splitting the oak door and jail door/bars into a separate mod, but it felt like there needed to be something more in here. I wound up implementing a whole new system to allow for the creation of large multi-node swinging and sliding doors, sliding portcullises, and drawbridges. Also included in this mod are some "door slot" blocks that are useful for allowing portcullises to slide through a space without it looking like there's a big opening (it's a masonry block that extends into the neighboring space, filling the gap that would otherwise be left by a portcullis since they're not a full block thick).

Gates are built out of individual blocks and triggered by right-clicking on them. A gate with hinges will try to swing around the hinge's axis, a gate without hinges will try to slide to whichever side is open for it to move into. Although swinging gates can only exist in 90-degree increments due to the limitations of the voxel engine, they will test for obstructions in the nodes they're swinging through and take those into account. If you want to make a double door use "gate edge" nodes to define the seam between the two doors (otherwise the mod will not know where to split the two doors when they're triggered and the door will not open).

I tried to write the gate-handling code in a reusable manner, so if anyone would like to try their hand at adding new gate blocks it should hopefully be a reasonably straightforward thing. See api.txt for an explanation.

Castle Lighting

+ Spoiler

This contains the chandelier, chain, and lamp blocks. I also added brasiers. There's a metal "floor brasier" and masonry "pillar brasiers". Brasiers require fuel to operate; put something flammable in its inventory and it'll automatically light up, and continue drawing new items from its inventory to burn when the current fuel item runs out. One coal lump will produce 40 minutes of fire. The fire it produces is real, so don't place your brasier next to something flammable or you'll have a bad time.

Castle Masonry

+ Spoiler

This is perhaps the "core" mod of castle, the various masonry blocks used for building a castle's structure. While splitting this out I made a few modifications and additions:

- A new arrow slit type: the embrasure. This is wider than the existing arrow slit types and is useful both as a large arrow slit in a wall and as borders for wall-top crenelations. Turn it on its side and it makes for a reasonably modern-looking bunker gunport as well.
- machicolations, a type of specialized murder hole that is placed along the tops of walls to allow defenders to drop stuff on attackers at the wall's base.
- Half pillars, to allow pillars to be built right up against a wall.
- Ceiling beams to allow bracing to be added between pillars.

In addition I made the mod's material usage more easily configurable. Under the "settings" tab click on the "Advanced" button and then navigate to "mods" and you'll find an entry for castle masonry that allows you to enable and disable the various material types. In addition there are some new material types that are disabled by default but can be enabled here: wood, snow, ice, and obsidian brick (for building snow forts and for building a tower for your favorite Dark Lord).

The materials you enable here will also be available in a couple of the other mods in this modpack; pillar brasiers and gate slots use these material definitions (and default to stone brick if castle masonry is not installed).

Castle Shields

+ Spoiler

On the surface this is just the three decorative wall shields from the castle mod split out into a stand-alone mod. But in the process I changed how these wall shields are defined to make it easy for people to make new versions with their own color combinations.

The three default shields were defined thusly:

castle_shields.register_shield("shield_1", "Mounted Shield", "red", "blue", "slash")
castle_shields.register_shield("shield_2", "Mounted Shield", "cyan", "yellow", "chevron")
castle_shields.register_shield("shield_3", "Mounted Shield", "grey", "green", "cross")

The following colors are permitted:
"black", "blue", "brown", "cyan", "dark_green", "dark_grey", "green", "grey", "magenta", "orange", "pink", "red", "violet", "white", "yellow"
The following patterns are permitted:
"slash", "chevron", "cross"

Note that you should only define one shield for each particular color combination (ie, don't have both a red/blue slash and a red/blue chevron) otherwise the crafting recipes will conflict. You could have a red/blue shield and a blue/red one, though.

Castle Storage

+ Spoiler

The crate and iron-bound chest from Castle, split into a separate mod.

Sorry, no new additions to this one. Though I did make them compatible with the hopper mod.

Castle Tapestries

+ Spoiler

The tapestires, split out into their own mod. This includes the upgrades VanessaE discussed in the previous comment, so you'll need a dev build of Minetest for these to work correctly.

Castle Weapons

+ Spoiler

The battle axe and crossbow from castle, split into its own mod. No modifications or upgrades were made in the process.

Crafting Bench

+ Spoiler

The auto-crafting bench from Castle, split into its own mod. The only upgrade I made in the process was to make this hopper-compatible as well; you can now set up a crafting bench that will automatically draw on external material sources and have its products placed into external storage.

Orbs of Time

+ Spoiler

The Castle mod included two magical orbs, the Orb of Midday and the Orb of Midnight, that allowed a player to change the time of day a limited number of times. I split these into this mod. I have to admit, I'm not really sure how these are castle-related but it's still bundled with the castle modpack for historical compatibility. I also added two new orbs, the Orb of Dawn and the Orb of Dusk, since it seemed to me that if you were using these things to bring daylight or darkness it would be more useful to maximize the resulting duration of daylight or darkness.

Ropes

+ Spoiler

Finally, the reason I started this whole project in the first place! :) The ropes mod has its own forum thread, but in a nutshell:

- Rope boxes have a finite length of rope in them. Rope boxes containing different lengths of rope can be constructed and upgraded with additional rope.
- Hanging ropes can be severed with an axe, and the code for removing the rope below the cut point removes all of the affected rope immediately
- A player can "ride" the descending end of a rope box rope as it goes down (there's a knot on the end so you can more easily see where the end is)
- Rope boxes can be made from wood, copper, or steel. Better materials can support a longer maximum length of rope.
- There's also rope ladders that auto-extend much like how rope box ropes do.

EdShouldBeInBed

In-game: EdShdBInBed

by EdShouldBeInBed » Wed Mar 15, 2017 21:41

Facedeer, I love modular git pulls. They make sense to me, they tickle me, they engage me.

I just pulled your new repo and all the sub mod directories came up empty.

Er... git clone should get it, right?

Edit: just pulled a couple of the component mods fine, is everything pointing at the right place?
I'm a writer who tinkers with code on occasion. I play minetest when insomnia makes the writing hard.

texmex

GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

by texmex » Wed Mar 15, 2017 21:52

Congrats FaceDeer, great work!

Ed, you need to clone with the --recursive flag to get the submodules.
I spend all my days going down to the mines. Under the ground where the sun never shines. Breaking my back I put heat in your house. I’ve got the roar of a digtron, the breath of a mouse.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 23:31

That extra step is why I've got a pre-packaged version in releases on my fork for convenience, just grab castle.zip and it contains everything in its current revision.

I've filed an issue to have one added to the minetest-mods fork as well. Ironically, I have commit access to every submodule repository (since I created them all) but not the modpack they all combine into. :)

EdShouldBeInBed

In-game: EdShdBInBed

by EdShouldBeInBed » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:36

texmex wrote:Congrats FaceDeer, great work!

Ed, you need to clone with the --recursive flag to get the submodules.

(face palm) It's the little things, duh. Thanks for the reminder texmex!
I'm a writer who tinkers with code on occasion. I play minetest when insomnia makes the writing hard.

Previous

Return to Mod Releases