World of Ethereal

Loadable maps as opposed to OldCoder's zoomable maps
AMMOnym

IRC: AMMOnym
In-game: AMMOnym

World of Ethereal

by AMMOnym » Mon Dec 08, 2014 16:36

Hello there,
I want to make a World of Warcraft map, but I will need help, because it is large project.
As first I need anyone, who know how to do map from image using "Biome mapper" or "Minetest premapper", which I saw in the forums.

I want to use Ethereal mapgen, because it has a lot of biomes to use.

If this step cant be done, so I need someone, who knows how to use "Image loader" to place this image to single node mapgen...but using this way it will be really hard to make biomes myself.

After this "The most important step" I will need builders to make a lot of schems, which will be very useful. These schems should be :
- Trees
- Buildings
- Towns
- Caves, Dungeons

3rd step is importnant too. I need anyone, who knows Wow quests to make this map more adventure (This step is frozen for now. )

I am making on the map. Each color means biome.
W.I.P map
Attachments
wow.jpg
It will be extracted to bmp later
wow.jpg (7.76 MiB) Viewed 644 times

4aiman

Re: World of Ethereal

by 4aiman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 06:09

I'd suggest you making your own nodes for this map.
Ethereal is "the thing made for a mapgen".
And I don't think that it would perfectly fit the idea: once you'll reach the "border" of a pre-generated piece of a world, you'll start bumping into pure-ethereal realm. The later has nothing in common with WOW whatsoever.

So, my suggestion is to make a list of nodes you want. Once you're done, it wouldn't be too hard to register them all.
I mean, you can do it by yourself too.

Furthermore, image loader is fairly easy to use.
It's better to learn how to use it rather than using someone who may teach you how to use it. %)

But that is NOT the most important step.

The thing you consider "easy" is, in fact, the most time-consuming: writing a good town-gen or dungeon-gen is not such an easy task. Even if all you wanted was a single, the-same-for-all-seeds dungeons - that still would be a lot of work.

And the last (but certainly not least) - schematics are the bad way to add decorations to a pre-generated map.
With an inbuilt mapgen one can use get_ground_level.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that won't work for something that wasn't generated but imported.
And that means, it should be done in Lua => it'll be slow (like any decorations on a LVM-generated map).

TL;DR:
I wish you good luck, but bear in mind that:
- it's not that easy to do;
- you should be the leader, not someone who just want others to make his dream come true.

Sokomine

Re: World of Ethereal

by Sokomine » Sat Apr 04, 2015 01:19

4aiman wrote:The thing you consider "easy" is, in fact, the most time-consuming: writing a good town-gen or dungeon-gen is not such an easy task.

Oh yes, that's definitely true! I started with a working village generator (from Nores mg mapgen) and changed that one so that it now works for almost all mapgens, can blend single houses, does allow for diffrent types of villages...and all that took months, years. It's complex because there are so many details that will catch the eye of the player and make you think "how artificial" instead of "oh, yes, looks like a village".

4aiman wrote:And the last (but certainly not least) - schematics are the bad way to add decorations to a pre-generated map.

As far as mg_villages is concerned, schematics are still used, but only as a way of storing buildings. The .mts files are decoded manually and everything's placed using lua voxelmanip. As far as the original poster is concerned, perhaps a small pre-generated map will indeed do - because quests are another matter and do cause even more work. Makes you want to stick with a sufficiently small area instead of a large, infinite-feeling map!

4aiman wrote:And that means, it should be done in Lua => it'll be slow (like any decorations on a LVM-generated map).

It's not too bad. I recently tested it on my phone - and even that worked to a degree. It was of course - as expected - pretty slow. A normal desktop ought to handle it without trouble.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Return to Minetest Maps