My property

Loadable maps as opposed to OldCoder's zoomable maps
superschizo

My property

by superschizo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 19:29

I did a map of my property to test out ideas and see how they look before spending the time and money to fix it up and have it turn out bad. This is how it looks now, sort of. The trees that spawned or got planted are mostly too tall, and of the wrong sort. For example, I planted Douglas Firs along the fences since I don't know of any cedars in the mods. Still, it is close. Since I made the house to outside dimensions, the interior would have been off if I had worked on it and this is for landscaping anyways, so I didn't do the interior. I represented weeds along the fences with jungle grass; I haven't kept up with my yardwork lol. Also the trees are hacked along the road because that is what the power company did a year or two ago along the power lines to keep branches off the lines. Here are some pictures and thanks for looking.

The property is a rural 3 acres surrounded by woods and mostly pasture. Land is cheap here since there are not many jobs.

I used the flatgen mod to make the map, and worldedit quite a bit.

DEPENDENCIES

Home Decor, Plantlife, and moretrees, and quartz are probably the minimum that is required. I also had moreores and moreblocks enabled since they are helpful for Home Decor, but I don't know if they are required in this map. EDIT: I have included all the mods needed in the worldmods folder per Calinou's suggestion, just copy and paste them into your mods folder. These mods I included were downloaded last year so they might be out of date, and so if you already have more recent versions installed on your computer these shouldn't be necessary.

DOWNLOAD
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xndfut5xt9iz7b/home%20backup%202015%2001%2012.zip?dl=0
Last edited by superschizo on Mon Jan 12, 2015 20:29, edited 2 times in total.

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

Re: My property

by Calinou » Mon Jan 12, 2015 19:34

You can bundle mods in the worldmods/ directory, create it if needed. It is to be put inside the world directory.

superschizo

by superschizo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 19:46

Sounds like a good idea. So I create the directory in the world directory, and just paste the mods into the wolrldmods directory before zipping the file? I'll try that.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Thu Jan 22, 2015 05:27

Nice place. Wouldn't want to have to have to do lawn mowing there :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

superschizo

by superschizo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:36

Sokomine wrote:Nice place. Wouldn't want to have to have to do lawn mowing there :-)

Thank you. I only mow the central fenced in area around the house, and parts of the area around the pond. It takes about 3-4 hours with a riding mower, and it needs to be done weekly from late spring to early fall. I also have some sheep for the other approximately 2 acres of fields along the edges of the property. That is why there are so many fences. In the past we have also tried a donkey, a calf, and goats, but I think we will stay with sheep due to their hardy and relatively passive nature compared to the other animals we have had. I can't include the pond in the grazing area because of some poisonous weeds growing around the pond, so it grows wild until I get the energy to work on it.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Fri Jan 23, 2015 02:22

superschizo wrote:Thank you. I only mow the central fenced in area around the house, and parts of the area around the pond. It takes about 3-4 hours with a riding mower, and it needs to be done weekly from late spring to early fall.

I always wanted a riding mower as a child :-) If it takes 3-4 hours even with such a thing, it's a huge area indeed!

superschizo wrote: I also have some sheep for the other approximately 2 acres of fields along the edges of the property. That is why there are so many fences. In the past we have also tried a donkey, a calf, and goats, but I think we will stay with sheep due to their hardy and relatively passive nature compared to the other animals we have had.

What did the other animals do? I hope you treat the sheep better than most Minetest players treat those ingame :) Single animals might feel lonely.
A list of my mods can be found here.

superschizo

by superschizo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 13:43

Sokomine wrote:What did the other animals do? I hope you treat the sheep better than most Minetest players treat those ingame :) Single animals might feel lonely.

Single herd animals do get lonely, so I keep more than one. I have 8 sheep now.

As for the donkey Eeyore, someone brought him over and gave me a sob story about how he was being picked on by the other donkeys. So I bought him and moved him around between staying with the goats or the dogs. I was new to the country, and didn't know that donkeys don't get along with dogs normally, but Eeyore did fine. That is, until he realized there was a horse breeder about 2-3 miles away. Eeyore was very intelligent, and could even lift a latch with his nose to open the front gate. He was always escaping, and I knew where to go each time, the horse breeder. Finally, the horse breeder told me he was going to shoot Eeyore the next time he came over, so I found a new home for Eeyore. If I ever get a horse or donkey again, it will be castrated immediately or whatever the equine term is.

Goats are curious and somewhat intelligent animals. The grass is always greener on the other side, and they are intent on finding out how green it really is. I have sections of pasture with 6 foot field fencing, and they were still finding ways to escape. It was really bad when they were getting on the road (in my state drivers can sue the livestock owner if their car is damaged by hitting the livestock), and when they were getting into the central area and eating the roses and fruit trees. Also the friendliest goats would escape just to get to us and see what we were doing if we were outside, so they could demand attention, try to get my tobacco out of my pocket, lick the sweat off my arm, and just be nuisances in general. Sometimes they would even try to get in the house to be with us, because they didn't realize they weren't people. As for hardiness, my state is too wet and muddy. They do well in drier climates with lots of brush. I have mostly grass pastures, and so we had to trim their hooves several times a year, worm them regularly, and make sure they had plenty of supplements. Because I am more familiar with goats now and like their personality, it is not likely I will ever eat goat again. I don't like eating animals that I know have lots of personality and can return affection.

The calf I bought at a sale, probably because it was so wild. I had goats but was still new to the country, and thought that since it was not very old I could just leash it and treat it like a goat in leading it to the right pasture. I sure was wrong in that and don't want to go into more details other than that baby cow could have killed me. It certainly did try. I'm just not set up for or have the resources for cattle but have no problem eating beef.

We have thought about getting hogs and it has been recommended several times by different people to eat up the weeds around the pond and pack down the pond area. All I know about hogs is that people say they are intelligent, capable of affection, and like to escape. That's enough for me to know that I don't want them.

The sheep I have are Shetland Sheep. They are much more passive (except for some rams), don't want to escape (except for some rams), and low maintenance. This is an animal I can eat, since at least mine aren't very intelligent and affectionate. I get wool, some meat, and occasionally sell the extra sheep that we don't want to eat (nobody here wants to eat the lambs since we are city people at heart lol). I don't profit off of them but they almost pay for themselves and they keep the grass down. They also rarely need wormers, and these sheep haven't needed their hooves trimmed (we checked once a year at shearing). We just give them a mineral block supplement, a yearly tetanus vaccine, and let them do their grazing. I do feed them grain most mornings, just to train them to come to the barn/garage area so I can count them and catch them if I need to. The greatest nuisance about them is that stray and loose neighborhood dogs want to try to get in the pastures and kill them so I have to listen for my dogs barking and then check the pastures throughout the day.

Doughty12

by Doughty12 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:18

you have made a very good map and it also give me some idea that how could i do the same with my property. thanks for sharing this.

Return to Minetest Maps