[worlddiff] Ninas

Loadable maps as opposed to OldCoder's zoomable maps
Casimir

[worlddiff] Ninas

by Casimir » Thu Jun 19, 2014 17:28

Tinas was the first experiment, now we do the next step.

Lessons learned
There were some issues with Tinas. Biggest in my experience was to organize the sharing of the world. If fact is was not quite possible to build simultaneously, as you always needed the latest version to build on. That defeated the whole purpose of the project. Also the map got big quite fast, uploading the whole world every time feels wasteful and only made sense for larger buildings. Managing and updating mods was quite a problem too.
Despite of the problems, there where some people who participated and together build a beautiful small village plus a shrine for Benu (map. And it turned out to be fun.

How Ninas is different (the N is for nodetest)
With worlddiff the problems can be solved. Instead of distributing the whole world we can share worldedit files. They are much smaller and only affect local changes. Ideally communication between the worlds would only happen through worlddiff. You could even use leveldb while others use sqlite.
For the problem of mods and compatibility there is the easy and clean solution not to use any additional mods. For the subgame I chose Voxelgarden (back then "nodetest"), because I need to advertise my own work. Also it is quite minimal and therefor also suitable for old hardware.

How to use it
Setup
When you haven't already done download and install:
Voxelgarden in games/
WorldDiff in mods/
Ninas in worlds/
Add the already existing files ---> see "Adding changes by others".
Now you can start and play the world. WorldDiff is already enabled and will save your changes to "worlds/Ninas/wd/output/". Note that the world you just downloaded does not contain any mapdate, it only has some basic technical information and the seed.

Adding changes by others
Just download the achives you will find in this tread, extract them and put the worldedit files into "worlds/Ninas/wd/input/". If you add them chronological you will overwrite old versions of map segments with the always latest. In game they will be loaded automatically.

Share you changes
Take the files in /output/, put them in an archive and upload it here. If you feel like you can also post a screenshot of what you build.

License of the map
Ninas itself and all content of the world is licensed under CC BY-SA.
Last edited by Casimir on Sun Aug 23, 2015 13:48, edited 5 times in total.

Evergreen

GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

Re: [worlddiff] Ninas

by Evergreen » Thu Jun 19, 2014 18:47

This is a cool idea! I might add something to it at some point.

Casimir

by Casimir » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:46

The beginning of a town at 254,19,-27
Attachments
20140621.tar.gz
(898.5 KiB) Downloaded 135 times

Casimir

by Casimir » Mon Jun 23, 2014 19:45

A new house.
Attachments
20140623.tar.gz
(241.4 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

Casimir

by Casimir » Sun Aug 17, 2014 23:41

The village is still small but growing.
Attachments
20140818.tar.gz
(249.11 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

slemon

by slemon » Thu Apr 09, 2015 01:30

Hmm, it won't load. No info in logs I can show.

Casimir

by Casimir » Sun Aug 23, 2015 13:47

Sorry I did not answer. Does the world itself generate? Can you check if WorldDiff is enabled (in the world configuration)? Where have you extracted the files to?

Has anyone else tried? I tested it on two different machines and it - quite slow - it loaded. But I might have written the instructions wrong and I don't see the mistake myself.

Return to Minetest Maps